PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants To Talk Muleys?

dana
01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Lets get this site back on track. Who wants to talk hunting again? While mule deer numbers are way down across the province and it is a pretty tuff proposition to find a decent meat buck, if you keep at it and are willing to change tactics and learn, there is still the odd good 'un out there. Lets share tactics and stories and learn from each other. Here is my last decent meat buck from 2016.
http://i.imgur.com/sJVSMFn.jpg

Scotty76
01-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Just over two years ago I finally found a great mule deer area. My first adventure up into the area in early September was amazing. I was up there for 4 days. Every day we saw big 4 point bucks and many others. Being a rookie hunter I had two very close unsuccessful stalks that I carried on my shoulders for the rest of the year. Learned a lot from that trip.
The following year(2017) I had picked up a bow and spent months and months practicing with a successful bear hunt in the spring , I went back to the same spot with more confidence. This time we saw bucks everyday but never glassed up a 4 pointer. I did have a stalk on a massive 3 point, he got spooked at took off around some trees. I kept my cool and crept around the other side. There he was standing broadside. I start getting excited but I had placed my binos on top of my range finder in my bino harness. I stumble for a few seconds getting it out, finally range him at 50 yards. As I pull my bow up he bolts and is gone forever.
I will be back there next year!
So general question for experienced mule deer hunters... do you find in that deer in your spots vary year to year in a cycle, example bigger deer one year, smaller deer the other?
Just kinda curious

frenchbar
01-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Later...im busy ��

steepNdeep
01-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Beauty buck! Nice fronts & love those dark horns. Looks pretty thick in there. Did u call him in? Did u know he was in there before?

~T-BONE~
01-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Nice one Steve!!

I’m lucky all my areas were great for the limited time I spent there this past fall. No mature bucks spotted, but was able to glass up 11 4points in one area in one day. My buddy was hungry and took this buck, I regret it some as I think when he matured (if he survived) woulda been a 200 gross typical!

Chrispryn
01-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Alpine muleys. Booyah. My favourite topic.

I find myself scrolling through photos from this year and I just cant wait to get back in the hills. I too think i will take the bow challenge this season.

In response to SCOTTY, I dont think the deer in your area will vary year to year. Unless of course your hunting a migratory path, then it would just be luck of the draw as to what size deer you happened to get on to. As for those deer that are in the same area all year, i hope the big donkey i glassed last year pre season is still kicking.

Chris

dana
01-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Just over two years ago I finally found a great mule deer area. My first adventure up into the area in early September was amazing. I was up there for 4 days. Every day we saw big 4 point bucks and many others. Being a rookie hunter I had two very close unsuccessful stalks that I carried on my shoulders for the rest of the year. Learned a lot from that trip.
The following year(2017) I had picked up a bow and spent months and months practicing with a successful bear hunt in the spring , I went back to the same spot with more confidence. This time we saw bucks everyday but never glassed up a 4 pointer. I did have a stalk on a massive 3 point, he got spooked at took off around some trees. I kept my cool and crept around the other side. There he was standing broadside. I start getting excited but I had placed my binos on top of my range finder in my bino harness. I stumble for a few seconds getting it out, finally range him at 50 yards. As I pull my bow up he bolts and is gone forever.
I will be back there next year!
So general question for experienced mule deer hunters... do you find in that deer in your spots vary year to year in a cycle, example bigger deer one year, smaller deer the other?
Just kinda curious
Keep at er and things will eventually work out. With every failed stalk, you learn something that will help you on the next attempt.
As for your question, in the good ol' days (10 years ago) I would tell you that mule deer are very habitual in year to year patterns. Meaning, if you find a good buck in one spot, you go back the next year at the same time you have a good chance at finding him again. Now, with the high predator numbers, you can't count on anything. The fact you are seeing a good number of deer tells me you have found a spot that the preds aren't hitting hard. So, if that trend continues, you should be able to see several of those deer year after year. But, preds move in and all bets are off. As for seeing smaller deer this past year, could very well just been the conditions. Hot dry years, the bigger bucks tend to be more nocturnal and do all their feeding at night and sleep in the thick cool timber during the day.

dana
01-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Nice one Steve!!

I’m lucky all my areas were great for the limited time I spent there this past fall. No mature bucks spotted, but was able to glass up 11 4points in one area in one day. My buddy was hungry and took this buck, I regret it some as I think when he matured (if he survived) woulda been a 200 gross typical!

In my neck of the woods, I have totally dropped the mantra, 'let them go to grow'. If you do let them go, you have a good chance at finding them dead in the spring in a pile of wolf scat. It is incredibly hard to hold your tag when all you see is 3-5 deer in a solid week of pounding it hard. Hard to look a gift horse in the mouth. You sometimes have to take what you see as it might be your only opportunity to bring meat home. On the flip side, if you already have meat from other critters, chosing to pass just to hold your tag and hunt till the bitter end might be the objective.

IronNoggin
01-06-2018, 02:20 PM
A rather fine "meat buck" there Dana! :wink:

... Lets share tactics and stories and learn from each other...

I too would love to hear the tale on this one.
Does indeed look a little thick in there, so methinks it will be interesting how you got to set up on him...

I'm pretty much a spot & stalk guy when it comes to Mulies.
Both with bow and rifle.

Bow usually means the OK areas that we may lose for late season hunting.
With the cover, spotting is more the issue than the stalk... usually.
Helps to have a good idea where the bucks might be, and that is obviously still a work in progress for most (including me!)

Rifle usually means hunting the alpine, river valleys or the coulees of Alberta.
Spotting there is generally the opposite of the bow hunt, relatively easy compared to the stalk.
But given the extra range of the rifle, it often pays off well.
Some of those areas I already have a decent idea where the Big Boys hang out.

Since you've been gone, I taken a couple.
Did not this season due to vision issues, but here's the one I took the fall before:

https://i.imgur.com/wxsP5wM.jpg

Passed up a lot of bucks, some typicals a fair bit larger, but kept coming back to think on the drop tines.
Last day, I simply could not help myself... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Rob Chipman
01-06-2018, 02:53 PM
There are only two types of muley bucks in BC based on my 2017 experience: smaller than 4 pts after October and 4 pts on the wrong side of a fence! :-)

(I'll just pretend that buck in the post above isn't there. Love those drop tines!)

dana
01-06-2018, 02:56 PM
A rather fine "meat buck" there Dana! :wink:

I too would love to hear the tale on this one.
Does indeed look a little thick in there, so methinks it will be interesting how you got to set up on him...

I'm pretty much a spot & stalk guy when it comes to Mulies.
Both with bow and rifle.

Bow usually means the OK areas that we may lose for late season hunting.
With the cover, spotting is more the issue than the stalk... usually.
Helps to have a good idea where the bucks might be, and that is obviously still a work in progress for most (including me!)

Rifle usually means hunting the alpine, river valleys or the coulees of Alberta.
Spotting there is generally the opposite of the bow hunt, relatively easy compared to the stalk.
But given the extra range of the rifle, it often pays off well.
Some of those areas I already have a decent idea where the Big Boys hang out.

Since you've been gone, I taken a couple.
Did not this season due to vision issues, but here's the one I took the fall before:

https://i.imgur.com/wxsP5wM.jpg

Passed up a lot of bucks, some typicals a fair bit larger, but kept coming back to think on the drop tines.
Last day, I simply could not help myself... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Very Nice Indeed!!! I too an a sucker for Droptines!!! Congrats on a BEAUTY!!!

As for stategy on the buck I posted, I was still hunting timber in October. No rut. No burping. No raking. Just randomly hiking and stopping every so often and listening. I sat down for a cookie break and heard a snap. I listened for more noise for about 5 mins. Nothing. I concluded it must have been a squirrel so I got up and put the pack back on and started on my way. Didn't make it 10 metres when I saw him standing in a small opening about 40 metres away unaware of my presence. In the past when hunting was better, i would have spent some time judging the rack and probably would have let him walk as it was still early in the season and I held some loftey goals. But in 2016, no meat in the freezer and a good solid buck standing in front of me, I found a shooting lane and dropped him. I was about 3 kms from the truck, so I quartered him and packed half the meat out half way. Left it and went and got the other half and walked all the way to the truck, dropped the meat inside and hiked back in for the last half at the half way mark. Big bodied buck, so quarters made the pack heavy. Worst part of this strategy is climbing through blowdown pine with a heavy pack. Very easy to hurt yourself as the pine bark slips when you are climbing over.

IronNoggin
01-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Thanks Fellas. Best part of that hunt was sharing with my Father. Mid Eighties now, and still going. Don't know how many of those he's got left to share with me, and certainly did appreciate our time together on that run!!

https://i.imgur.com/EoUm28O.jpg

... As for strategy on the buck I posted...

While some might call that an "accidental encounter" methinks you had a damn good idea he (or someone similar) was there, put in the miles, and made it pay!

Thanks for the hunt story. Appreciated!

Cheers,
Nog

frenchbar
01-06-2018, 03:13 PM
id like to hear more thought in how to go about hunting muley ridges that hold deer..tactics..ect lets teach the new hunter in been more succesfull

dana
01-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Thanks Fellas. Best part of that hunt was sharing with my Father. Mid Eighties now, and still going. Don't know how many of those he's got left to share with me, and certainly did appreciate our time together on that run!!

While some might call that an "accidental encounter" methinks you had a damn good idea he (or someone similar) was there, put in the miles, and made it pay!

Cheers,
Nog

That is what it is all about right there!!! Sharing precious time in the great outdoors with loved ones and good friends means way more than the harvest. It is all about the Experience and the Memories that fill our minds for years to come.

Still hunting timber muleys is always an 'accidental encounter' but one can puts the odds more in your favour if proper homework is done ahead of time. My 2015 buck was taken in that same piece of timber about 500 metres away. 2015 was much more accidental as I had zero time to hunt and the freezer was empty. My goal was just a legal 4 point. First real day to hunt, ran into this guy. Nice when a four point count is made easy especially when they are standing 15 yards from you. Hahaha. Again a big bodied buck and the pack was quite heavy climbing through pine blowdown on the way back to the truck.
http://i.imgur.com/BoGn01N.jpg

RackStar
01-06-2018, 04:00 PM
That is what it is all about right there!!! Sharing precious time in the great outdoors with loved ones and good friends means way more than the harvest. It is all about the Experience and the Memories that fill our minds for years to come.

Still hunting timber muleys is always an 'accidental encounter' but one can puts the odds more in your favour if proper homework is done ahead of time. My 2015 buck was taken in that same piece of timber about 500 metres away. 2015 was much more accidental as I had zero time to hunt and the freezer was empty. My goal was just a legal 4 point. First real day to hunt, ran into this guy. Nice when a four point count is made easy especially when they are standing 15 yards from you. Hahaha. Again a big bodied buck and the pack was quite heavy climbing through pine blowdown on the way back to the truck.
http://i.imgur.com/BoGn01N.jpg
Great buck Dana,
always enjoyed your pics and story’s.

This year my hunting was flipped upside down. With my recent move up to PG I was starting from scratch it felt like.
I did get to hunt my fav reg 3 spot for 1 week but every big buck got the dip on me. I pounded the pavement and changed my hunting tactics as PG is waaaaay different then kammy. I was thankful to pull a decent 2 point mulie and a whitey doe out of reg 7 this year close to home. I found some really cool spots to hunt am I’m optimistic there’s big bucks around these parts. But at first glance you wouldn’t think PG is very good for deer. I figure if I hunt my backyard and learn some spots close to home I would have better odds at a cranker then back down in Reg 3.

Can’t wait to pull my cams this spring. Seeing is believing.

Happy new year

chaser10
01-06-2018, 04:00 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6726&stc=1

This was my last archery mule deer. Alberta buck, caught him on a feeding pattern that he religiously followed everyday. Even missed him the day before, but sure enough, he followed the same pattern the next day.

dana
01-06-2018, 06:07 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6726&stc=1

This was my last archery mule deer. Alberta buck, caught him on a feeding pattern that he religiously followed everyday. Even missed him the day before, but sure enough, he followed the same pattern the next day.

Great looking archery buck!!! Congrats to ya!!!

Weatherby Fan
01-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Well this thread is better than your first one back !

Why would you call your first post on this thread a meat buck ? Are you embarrassed of it ? Reality is they’re all meat bucks regardless if its a 160 class buck or a 200 inch class buck, or do you not take the meat on those big 200 inchers your shooting :wink:

Thats a nice buck congrats and thanks for posting, these are the threads I was wanting to see out of you not that bitchfest thread you started with !

dana
01-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Well this thread is better than your first one back !

Why would you call your first post on this thread a meat buck ? Are you embarrassed of it ? Reality is they’re all meat bucks regardless if its a 160 class buck or a 200 inch class buck, or do you not take the meat on those big 200 inchers your shooting :wink:

Thats a nice buck congrats and thanks for posting, these are the threads I was wanting to see out of you not that bitchfest thread you started with !

I call them meat bucks because that is what they are. I went out with no set goals other than bringing home meat to fill an empty freezer. I am so tired of the label 'trophy hunter' that many on this site have accussed me of being, as if it is something 'bad'. Many actually believe all I care about is the size of the antlers. I am and always have been a meat hunter. Top priority of every year is to refill the freezer. When my kids or I had enough success that we can get by through a year based on a strong wild game diet, i then become a selective meat hunter. I am not embarrassed about my harvests. A mature 170 class buck fills the freezer faster than a yearling spike. This past year, i harvested 2 whitetail does and my son harvested a big 3 point muley which allowed me the opportunity to be selective till the end of the muley season. The tag went uncut.

dana
01-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Here is decent buck I encountered near the end of the 2017 season.
http://i.imgur.com/5iyN6QT.jpg

Buckmeister
01-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Some nice bucks there guys! I started hunting a new area to me in reg 8 in 2014. Went to this one spot (I'll call it the "hot spot") and saw hordes of sign, walked around a bit and found a couple of bucks, one was a shooter 4 point with 1/2 of one side broken off, a 3 point and a spiker. I could have taken the 4xbroke but I was holding out for a bigger more mature buck. This was late in Oct. Came back on Halloween at first light with a friend and right off saw a big 4x4 with stickers at about 300 yards hanging out with about 3 or 4 spikers. Buddy took a shot and missed. Never saw that buck again. I came back to that spot nearly every day till the end of the season (Nov 10th). Saw bucks and does almost every time, passed up another great opportunity on the 4xbroke. Took my son in one day and we saw a nice mature 4 point, I took a prone shot from about 225 yards with my old .303 and missed. Never did get a mule deer that year.
Went back to the hot spot in 2015 many times and I don't think we saw a single deer there that year. In 2016, I ended up taking a young buck early in Oct just to put meat in the freezer from an area a few miles away from the hot spot, so I only went in to the hot spot two or three times that year I believe, but I did visit it with a buddy who had a bull moose LEH for Nov and we saw a pretty nice 4x4 bedded down in the same spot I shot at the mature buck from a two years prior, however we could only watch as we were both tagged out. So another dandy 4x4 pushing 200" that same day on the other side of the mountain, sigh.
This last season I only took one chance to go to the hot spot early in Oct and saw some does. I had a bull moose draw for Oct in another MU so I spent most of my time over there. But when Nov rolled around I couldn't get back to the hot spot due to deep snow.
Anyways, besides seeing some real nice deer in this one spot and then not seeing any for a whole year doesn't stop me from going there. I've hiked around and learned the area pretty good, there is some nice ridges, mature fir timber, thick stuff, and draws that are just ideal mule deer habitat. I have high hopes I will see more nice bucks in the future in this spot.

gcreek
01-06-2018, 08:07 PM
All but one of my cows are muleys.............

xfactor
01-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Thanks!! Another epic thread! I have nothing to add yet...

gcreek
01-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Cheers,
Nog

You are very blessed to have that opportunity. Congrats to Pop!

horshur
01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Here is decent buck I encountered near the end of the 2017 season.
http://i.imgur.com/5iyN6QT.jpg

didn't we find his hair in some wolf shit a week later??

Weatherby Fan
01-06-2018, 08:46 PM
You are very blessed to have that opportunity. Congrats to Pop!

Tnis is it exactly, I only wish I could have hunted with my Dad but he died when I was pretty young, we talked lots of hunting but never got to go together, fished a lot together and I cherished what time I had with him.

Thats awesome Matt congrats to both of you.

dana
01-06-2018, 08:49 PM
didn't we find his hair in some wolf shit a week later??

Yup, thus proves the thought process of 'let them go to grow' doesn't work well when you have heavy predation.

dana
01-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Another young muley with some good potential from the 2017 late season. Sadly, four dogs were hunting him hard the next day. Probably will not see him again to see what he could have been.
http://i.imgur.com/Hdq4TOt.jpg

dana
01-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Here is my son's 2017 muley. We hunted hard to find him a buck in 2016 to no avail. We only saw 1 legal buck while hunting together that year. 2017 we again hit it hard. We hunted all of Sept and most of Oct before we saw our first buck while hunting together. A long steep downhill shot and he made it count. 1 shot and done with the ol' Model 99.
http://i.imgur.com/6GBziNe.jpg

dino
01-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Cheers,
Nog

if only your arms were longer.lol
nice deer as usual Dana

Vanislehiker
01-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Congrats to your son and time well spent hunting with family!

Ourea
01-06-2018, 09:30 PM
This work dana?
Another meat buck out of our crew.

https://i.imgur.com/u73h4yC.jpg

dana
01-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Great buck Dana,
always enjoyed your pics and story’s.

This year my hunting was flipped upside down. With my recent move up to PG I was starting from scratch it felt like.
I did get to hunt my fav reg 3 spot for 1 week but every big buck got the dip on me. I pounded the pavement and changed my hunting tactics as PG is waaaaay different then kammy. I was thankful to pull a decent 2 point mulie and a whitey doe out of reg 7 this year close to home. I found some really cool spots to hunt am I’m optimistic there’s big bucks around these parts. But at first glance you wouldn’t think PG is very good for deer. I figure if I hunt my backyard and learn some spots close to home I would have better odds at a cranker then back down in Reg 3.

Can’t wait to pull my cams this spring. Seeing is believing.

Happy new year

While PG isn't classic mule deer country, i think it gets overlooked, especially by the locals. In the past, moose was the main staple to hunt and muleys were not even given a glance. If you do your homework, you are bound to find something special.

dana
01-06-2018, 09:35 PM
This work dana?

Hahaha. A big buck selfie in a mirror. At least it wasn't taken in the bathroom. ;)

Definte Beauty Meat Buck!!! I imagine he filled the freezer rather nicely!!!

Blainer
01-06-2018, 09:48 PM
This work dana?

Fantastic Buck!!

Blainer
01-06-2018, 09:52 PM
I call them meat bucks because that is what they are. I went out with no set goals other than bringing home meat to fill an empty freezer. I am so tired of the label 'trophy hunter' that many on this site have accussed me of being, as if it is something 'bad'. Many actually believe all I care about is the size of the antlers. I am and always have been a meat hunter. Top priority of every year is to refill the freezer. When my kids or I had enough success that we can get by through a year based on a strong wild game diet, i then become a selective meat hunter. I am not embarrassed about my harvests. A mature 170 class buck fills the freezer faster than a yearling spike. This past year, i harvested 2 whitetail does and my son harvested a big 3 point muley which allowed me the opportunity to be selective till the end of the muley season. The tag went uncut.excellent response. In my mind, so called trophy hunting, or selective hunting, should garner more respect as it shows discipline and respect for the harvest. I do believe it's best to use term meat hunter, but if it was just about the meat, shop Costco as its cheaper.

Ourea
01-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Another meat buck :wink:

https://i.imgur.com/X4Obmum.jpg

Ourea
01-06-2018, 10:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/p6d1Wuw.jpg

Ourea
01-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Fantastic Buck!!

33" wide
240 "

Blainer
01-06-2018, 10:40 PM
33" wide
240 "
Crazy, monster buck. Live for those opportunities, or still waiting for a 240", keeps us returning to the mountains. Great share

~T-BONE~
01-06-2018, 11:32 PM
33" wide
240 "

BC Buck? Love that mass!

Ourea
01-07-2018, 10:34 AM
BC Buck? Love that mass!

Yes, I killed it in BC

~T-BONE~
01-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Yes, I killed it in BC

Numbers on that typical?

Ourea
01-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Numbers on that typical?

mid 190's.

Ourea
01-07-2018, 11:05 AM
BC Buck? Love that mass!

I did a thread on......
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?133676-A-Giant-Falls

~T-BONE~
01-07-2018, 11:13 AM
I did a thread on......
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?133676-A-Giant-Falls
That’s right I recall that now.! Hey what’s the scoop (story) on the typical??

Ourea
01-07-2018, 11:37 AM
That’s right I recall that now.! Hey what’s the scoop (story) on the typical??

I will eventually pull a few more hunt stories out of the vault and share some successes.

~T-BONE~
01-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Sounds good!

Dougielightning
01-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Thanks dana appreciate your recent posts and the direction it pushes this site. Love the stories and the pictures from you all!!!

IronNoggin
01-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Misinterpretation...

dougan
01-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Great bucks fellas thanks for posting

dougan
01-07-2018, 02:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/mulie_016.jpgThis is my best mule deer to date from region 4 was hiking timber and he was on a hot doe track with one ting on his mind . Was a great memory to share with my old man.

dougan
01-07-2018, 02:31 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/mulie_0021.jpgHere is one my dad got in the 80’s

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2018, 05:09 PM
My 16 meat muley. Definitely lots of meat on his bones.

https://i.imgur.com/W5rX6O2.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
01-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Not much info on this meat muley.

https://i.imgur.com/xQVTQGF.jpg

stan
01-07-2018, 05:56 PM
If the regs don’t change, mule deer hunting in bc will become a distant memory

fuzzybiscuit
01-07-2018, 08:09 PM
I got a bit of meat off this one in 2016. Alberta buck.

https://s9.postimg.org/cih7tqgzz/0_C3_D2724-_C34_E-4613-_B008-_D85_CEC8_D255_B.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/aqo8ytxmz/)

charlie_horse
01-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Seriously wtf. there was finally some life back on this site and buh bye.

https://i.imgur.com/ByUItPu.jpg

test picture of my muley from last year.

HarryToolips
01-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Nice muley bucks everyone.....I am a far better whitetail hunter than muley so don't have a big muley buck pic to post, but was with my partner this year when he shot a nice 4 point muley that I'm not allowed to post pics of...I have seen quite a few muleys this past year, and a lot of yearlings, so that is a good sign, contrary to what I'm hearing in many parts of the province with the predator pit we have going on...would be nice to see a little bit better buck:doe ratio in some parts....what I learned last year is muleys ain't as predictable as whitetails, almost got my biggest muley buck in an area, and never did see him again in that area...

twoSevenO
01-08-2018, 12:09 AM
Nice muley bucks everyone.....I am a far better whitetail hunter than muley so don't have a big muley buck pic to post, but was with my partner this year when he shot a nice 4 point muley that I'm not allowed to post pics of...I have seen quite a few muleys this past year, and a lot of yearlings, so that is a good sign, contrary to what I'm hearing in many parts of the province with the predator pit we have going on...would be nice to see a little bit better buck:doe ratio in some parts....what I learned last year is muleys ain't as predictable as whitetails, almost got my biggest muley buck in an area, and never did see him again in that area...

I, too, have seen more bucks this year than previous couple years. But I was also out there more.

First year trying the trail cam thing ..... small and young mulie bucks are pretty predictable. Big ones less so.

Blacktails .... pretty predictable.

frenchbar
01-08-2018, 05:33 AM
enjoy the 'is a 243 big enough gun to kill a moose ' threads..

SR80
01-08-2018, 08:09 AM
my 2016 meat buck, i got a good amount of meat off this guy!

https://i.imgur.com/cwsqWiW.png

REMINGTON JIM
01-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I got a bit of meat off this one in 2016. Alberta buck.

https://s9.postimg.org/cih7tqgzz/0_C3_D2724-_C34_E-4613-_B008-_D85_CEC8_D255_B.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/aqo8ytxmz/)

Thats a BEAUTY Buck - Any storey about the hunt- what rifle - cartridge - bullet did u Kill him with ? :smile: RJ

bighornbob
01-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Just a question DANA...Why cannot I not see your pictures?...There is a black box at the bottom left of your posts that says.....The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available ...imgur.com...Dennis...How come some members here on HBC can see your pictures?..

Its probably because after he was banned he removed the picture from the imgur account. Im pretty sure no one can now see the account.

BHB

LBM
01-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Well 26 posts on this thread since you posted up this picture and not one compliment so I will
say congrats nice buck. Looks like he was shot for more then meat. Will make a cool looking mount.

fuzzybiscuit
01-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Thats a BEAUTY Buck - Any storey about the hunt- what rifle - cartridge - bullet did u Kill him with ? :smile: RJ

Here it is Jim. I don’t think the out of province hunts get much of a look...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?132426-Southern-Alberta-Mule-Deer-Success

IronNoggin
01-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Here it is Jim. I don’t think the out of province hunts get much of a look...

And I'll reiterate what I said then: CONGRATS Fuzzy!! Beauty!

Just to stay in keeping with the post...

https://i.imgur.com/tyj2Gpo.jpg

And Yup - another out of province....

Cheers,
Nog

Weatherby Fan
01-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Is that your parents Nog ? what a beautiful deer, great picture to, thanks for posting

And I'll reiterate what I said then: CONGRATS Fuzzy!! Beauty!

Just to stay in keeping with the post...

https://i.imgur.com/tyj2Gpo.jpg

And Yup - another out of province....

Cheers,
Nog

fuzzybiscuit
01-08-2018, 04:03 PM
That’s what dreams are made of Matt! Great buck and picture.

Weatherby Fan
01-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Heres an area 8 buck shot a few years back by my older brother, He watching an alpine meadow one morning and this big fellow chased a coyote out into the open and Leif took Care of both with his 300 Wby ! the picture doesn't do it justice but it has an outside spread of 29" , my brother is a pure redneck and doesn't do field pictures !!!

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_1604%202_zpsucnbxmbf.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_1604%202_zpsucnbxmbf.jpg.html)

Blainer
01-08-2018, 04:23 PM
His wardrobe behind him screams Red Neck.
Great Buck

Weatherby Fan
01-08-2018, 04:27 PM
His wardrobe behind him screams Red Neck.
Great Buck

Mission city Tuxedos at their finest !!! The goat is a good brother just not so good with the camera ! When I get home from Mexico Ill go through my pictures and scan them and post up a few of our Mule Deer hunts.

Blainer
01-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Mission city Tuxedos at their finest !!! The goat is a good brother just not so good with the camera ! When I get home from Mexico Ill go through my pictures and scan them and post up a few of our Mule Deer hunts.enjoy holiday, look forward to pictures

IronNoggin
01-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Is that your parents Nog ? what a beautiful deer, great picture to, thanks for posting

Yup. Ma & Pa. No wonder whatsoever where I got it from! :twisted:

Still the largest non-typical Mulie ever taken by a woman in Canada.
And still the source of great amusement on Mom's behalf!
Custom pre '64 mod 70 in 270.

Hell of an interesting rack your bro took!
Like those!

Cheers & looking forward to MORE!! :-D
Nog

elknut
01-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks bighornbob...

Weatherby Fan
01-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Awesome Buck Scott, congrats, just curious how wide as his ears are back so hard to tell, but I’m guessing 28 or so ?

What kind of meat bags are those ?

I see a hole in the left Antler ? A buck I shot years back had a piece of a branch about as thick as a pencil sticking out of his Antler in the same spot.

thanks for sharing
WF

Bugle M In
01-09-2018, 10:32 AM
There's some nice bucks on this thread.
I wish those fellows, and I believe they were from Kamloops, if they belonged to this website, would post those pics from 2 mulies taken last year, just at the beginning appr. of the remembrance long weekend.
I know those pics are floating around on 2 different groups of people, that I have met in the last year.
Both bucks are out of this world, and one in particular!, and you would never believe they were taken here in BC!
You would have thought they were "fenced USA Bucks"...there not, and they are Sweeeeet!

TexasWalker
01-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Awesome Buck Scott, congrats, just curious how wide as his ears are back so hard to tell, but I’m guessing 28 or so ?

What kind of meat bags are those ?

I see a hole in the left Antler ? A buck I shot years back had a piece of a branch about as thick as a pencil sticking out of his Antler in the same spot.

thanks for sharing
WF

I shot a deer years back with a stick in the antler grown into place.
I chalked it up to something poking through the velvet when they were soft.

HarryToolips
01-09-2018, 09:31 PM
I, too, have seen more bucks this year than previous couple years. But I was also out there more.

First year trying the trail cam thing ..... small and young mulie bucks are pretty predictable. Big ones less so.

Blacktails .... pretty predictable.
Well that's a good sign if your seeing more bucks....sounds like the MOE wants to cut back some of the buck GOS opportunities next year by their proposals...may be a good idea for in some parts of R8 for example...If we cut down on some of the access that will help..

HarryToolips
01-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Just a question DANA...Why cannot I not see your pictures?...There is a black box at the bottom left of your posts that says.....The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available ...imgur.com...Dennis...How come some members here on HBC can see your pictures?..
Same here, cmon I wanna see your antler porn...

HarryToolips
01-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Berry nice bucks SR80 and IronNoggin....

Mulehahn
01-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Well that's a good sign if your seeing more bucks....sounds like the MOE wants to cut back some of the buck GOS opportunities next year by their proposals...may be a good idea for in some parts of R8 for example...If we cut down on some of the access that will help..

Going to one muley for the province and getting rid of all GOS would be one of the worst things to happen to hunting in BC ever. You would force people to harvest from one particular age group. Make it one mule deer but GOS everywhere. If I want to shoot a spike Sept 10 for the freezer so be it. Forcing me to shoot a mature buck in october does nothing for populations.

Treed
01-10-2018, 12:23 AM
Well that is disappointing. I saw Dana was back, PG 66 was back, Jelvis was back (okay awhile back), the old threads on alpine mulies, blacktails, and my secret hunting spots around the loops would all be unveiled again. Don't care about the size of your horn, but I love the story of how you got it or missed it. Dana and PG66 had the best info based on years of experience. Lots of wolves around every where now days.

RyoTHC
01-10-2018, 06:18 AM
Same here, cmon I wanna see your antler porn...

My guess? He is angry he was banned, deleted the account where he hosted them so members here could no longer enjoy them and he won't be back to contribute again. Which is a damn shame.

My original quote was from the admin answering why he couldn't see Dana's pictures 's but seems he deleted that and no longer was wondering? Hmm.

Elkhound
01-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Cleaned up the thread. Lets try and keep it on track. It was a good thread.
Everyone complains of the drama but keep fanning the flames. Some members are treating HBC like FB. I think some big changes need to happen to get things on track.

silvertipp
01-11-2018, 11:01 PM
https://s17.postimg.org/dgdm4ra9b/3170_FB94-91_D0-417_D-_AD99-8_D51_E578_DDB9.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

This is the last deer hunt I had with my dad and son together

358mag
01-12-2018, 09:33 AM
https://s17.postimg.org/dgdm4ra9b/3170_FB94-91_D0-417_D-_AD99-8_D51_E578_DDB9.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Great picture thanks for posting
Dana would be proud

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Here's a rack my brother picked up in area 3 several years ago, 30" wide and it would score 193 if your keeping score....either way its a Monster

Chris or HBC's .300 R.U.M. Grizzly stained it and cleaned up the rack for us it was a little faded.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/eadc736a-dfeb-41d2-bb46-995bcdc9456c_zpshbrq5rc3.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/eadc736a-dfeb-41d2-bb46-995bcdc9456c_zpshbrq5rc3.jpg.html)
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/LoonLakeSept2011016.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/LoonLakeSept2011016.jpg.html)

frenchbar
01-12-2018, 04:37 PM
a high alpine buck that took me a couple hrs to put the stalk on..the biggest of the four that were bedded,,was a cool hunt https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16114843_773319156148684_5257063671890356724_n.jpg ?oh=3cb04eeb876f38c338ed5bf530e22ac0&oe=5AEFAD93

frenchbar
01-12-2018, 04:41 PM
back before camo was cool..lol https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12039261_551982731615662_7753871755916257407_n.jpg ?oh=5e7f7a2bef072789623efcb32adabf3a&oe=5AFDF39A

frenchbar
01-12-2018, 04:43 PM
way way before camo was cool https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10802004_439957096151560_4288869588931343185_n.jpg ?oh=60f3ff0ea0dbfdcda9d66983154bf9d8&oe=5AB1C66B

frenchbar
01-12-2018, 04:50 PM
jrs alpine muley we belly crawled for an hour for..awesome moment! https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14600842_715625551918045_3997599324165963845_n.jpg ?oh=b221c7eb723a391f9625a3d9bc0cdf8a&oe=5AEA639E

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Here's a Cpl area 8 bucks, one of my childhood hunting buddies Darren with his son Jake who shot the buck he's holding which also went 29" wide
I shot my first four pt which was my first deer with Darren over 30 years ago in Princeton

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_2557_zps6hek804k.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_2557_zps6hek804k.jpg.html)

Weatherby Fan
01-12-2018, 05:06 PM
An Alberta buck but pretty nice just the same !http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/IMG_8115_zpse4cbxs9y.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/IMG_8115_zpse4cbxs9y.jpg.html)

fuzzybiscuit
01-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Great pics guys....keep them coming.

silvertipp
01-12-2018, 09:32 PM
https://s17.postimg.org/upcmn5rkv/8_C94_C4_DF-7_A4_A-4_E3_D-9_E77-_DF8_C9_D71_D278.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/w4e7bvsnv/)
Here's an old pic from the paysaten

IronNoggin
01-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Another from the "Where did I get it from" pictures.
One of the first hunts I was on with Pa.
Photo in Gramp's back yard.
October, 1960:

https://i.imgur.com/ImPCaXI.jpg

Love the trunk of the Chev opened up to show the town the Success!

Cheers,
Nog

Ferenc
01-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Pretty cool .... back in those days not many had 4wheel drive vehicles... very cool pic !!!!
looks like a old Chevrolet Impala too !

IronNoggin
01-14-2018, 04:33 PM
l .... back in those days not many had 4wheel drive vehicles... very cool pic !!!!

That was a year or two before Dad bought the panel jeep.
I cannot recall the model (you may be right) but it was a '58.
Lots of hunting miles on that one over the years...

Cheers,
Nog

frenchbar
01-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Pretty cool .... back in those days not many had 4wheel drive vehicles... very cool pic !!!!
Neat ..i remember hunting with my dad in his 63 pariesiene ..loading a couple deer in the trunk ..lol

Ferenc
01-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Hahahaha .... my dad had a 1964 Ford galaxie XL 500 with a 390 4spd .... I remember going to Horsefly moose hunting in it .... seems like the Big Bar was the place to go... Horsefly was good also !!

frenchbar
01-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Not to sure if my mother wss 2 pleasrd by it all..haha..

IronNoggin
01-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Not to sure if my mother wss 2 pleasrd by it all..haha..

LOL! Probably as pleased as my Lady was several years later, when this mess rolled into the driveway!
4x4 went into the shop 2 days before the season.
Took a long time to wash all the blood out of The Missuz Magnum... LOL

https://i.imgur.com/gqzQj9o.jpg

Now back to Mulies...

Cheers,
Nog

dana
01-15-2018, 08:37 PM

That IS what it is all about right there!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

dougan
01-15-2018, 08:49 PM
LOL! Probably as pleased as my Lady was several years later, when this mess rolled into the driveway!
4x4 went into the shop 2 days before the season.
Took a long time to wash all the blood out of The Missuz Magnum... LOL

https://i.imgur.com/gqzQj9o.jpg

Now back to Mulies...

Cheers,
Nog bwa hahaha pure gold nog !!!!! Hahaha

silvertipp
01-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Thanks buddy there is a pretty funny story to go along with that hunt,I have since lost my dad but his love of the outdoors is instilled deep within my son and me

Bro 300
01-16-2018, 05:26 PM
1958 Impala, same as the white one Ron Howard drove on American Graffiti https://i.imgur.com/ImPCaXI.jpg

mmckimmi
01-25-2018, 08:23 PM
Any of you guys had luck in the Okanagan / Kootenays? I travel between the two frequently. I filled a white tail tag in late October of 2017 in 8-10. Saw tons of white tail up there on a daily basis. After taking the white tail I was looking out for Mule deer but didn't see any on public land. There was a group of three bedding beside the highway up in Joe Rich for a couple weeks. Other than those three I saw none right until the season ended.
2018 will be my second season hunting deer. I hope to get into back country hunting having spent a lot of time in the mountains growing up!

Salty
01-26-2018, 10:50 AM
1958 Impala, same as the white one Ron Howard drove on American Graffiti https://i.imgur.com/ImPCaXI.jpg

Ya think that kid might just grow up to be a hunter with an interest in classic cars? haha

Reminds me of a time when 4 of us punks took a ride down a bank in a 59 Pontiac. It was old and an absolute beater at the time all rusty and pretty far gone so no classic cars ruined in this experiment. But that ol tank took the beating I remember the floor rising up 6 inches under my feet as we bush surfed down a 30 foot high bank but we were all fine. They put some metal in 'm back then ..

IronNoggin
01-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Ya think that kid might just grow up to be a hunter with an interest in classic cars? haha..

He did. Very much so in fact :wink:

And, getting back to Mulies, here's another I took with the crossbow a year or two back now:

https://i.imgur.com/4JKXoZg.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

silvertipp
01-26-2018, 03:11 PM
Holy crap Nog those are some beauty's
i fricken jealous

dana
01-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Some great photos guys. Love the old ones and the new ones! And if anything pisses off the antis, it is seeing hunters with smiles holding big bucks! Also pisses off guys like FD too. Hahaha! Be proud of your hunting photos! Don't stop posting them because some one might be offended. They are offended by everything us knuckdraggers do. Being it driving a truck, riding a dirtbike, raising beef, training bird dogs, eating a burger, drinking a beer, or shooting a gun. The snowflakes may have their agendas, but we don't have to listen to them. Be proud to be a Hunter!

sawmill
01-27-2018, 07:03 AM
https://s17.postimg.org/upcmn5rkv/8_C94_C4_DF-7_A4_A-4_E3_D-9_E77-_DF8_C9_D71_D278.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/w4e7bvsnv/)
Here's an old pic from the paysaten

Reminds me of a photo of my Dad with a 4 point blacktail strapped across the tank of his 1948 Indian motorcycle.

silvertipp
01-27-2018, 10:40 AM
Ha ha it not that old though
its and old Suzuki 500 and it's only half a deer
in those days pops wanted to see all of the animal in camp
so I cut him in half and packed him out half at a time