PDA

View Full Version : Animals avoid poop of animals that can give it parasites... And why wolves are so coo

OceanMon
01-06-2018, 03:34 AM
Makes sense, but the research is still interesting http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/01/raccoon-latrines-could-have-hidden-impact-ecosystems

Herbivores avoid carcasses and feces of dead carnivores, thereby allowing the vegetation in these areas to recover from grazing, preventing over grazing and the collapse of plant life in an area. How cool is that?

Reminds me of this one video about how the reintroduction of wolves to Yosemite changed the rivers, and made the ecosystem more resilient and thriving.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

I get the whole conservation argument and how reducing the number of predators is important. And I will likely go hunt for wolves in a few weeks here However, how much blame should humans hold for the drastic reduction in ungulates? Through our increasing presence in the wood and possibly mis/under-management of these species. At the very least, I think, we try to stop seeing wolves as the enemy, the ones who take all our game and livestock for us. They too wouldn't want to see the disappearance of ungulates either and they, at least, strengthen the ecosystems through their activity.

Kill them sure, but perhaps with a heart that is full of respect, not malice.

Just my two cents

boxhitch
01-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Herbivores avoid carcasses and feces of dead carnivores, thereby allowing the vegetation in these areas to recover from grazing, preventing over grazing and the collapse of plant life in an area. How cool is that?So a good carnivore is a dead carnivore........I see where you're going with this

lovemywinchester
01-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Animals avoid poop of animals that can give it parasites
You've obviously never owned a Labrador.

gcreek
01-06-2018, 09:25 AM
I think I detect a leaf being fondled.

f350ps
01-06-2018, 09:48 AM
I think I detect a leaf being fondled.
Hahaha.....I'm pretty certain you're hearing correctly! :) K

338win mag
01-06-2018, 09:59 AM
I try my best to not step in any while out in the field, so I feel I'm doing my part.

tuner
01-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Wolf apologists.

Salty
01-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Ya its kind of cool on a bit of an obvious level, they don't want to get close to known pred dead or alive.

On respect for predators I've got all kinds of it I'd never want to see any of them low enough in levels to be a conservation concern they have their place in the food chain. Unfortunately their numbers can spike in numbers very easily given the right conditions and then the whole ecosystem suffers for years to come. Predator numbers spike within several years prey numbers bottom out, then predators start to starve more and more until their numbers finally drop. And then hopefully there's enough pretty left to rebuild the entire cycle which will take a long time. Or seeing as we allegedly manage wildlife numbers we can step in before any dramatic spikes in predator numbers happens. Which as far as I'm concerned is our responsibility.

Jc12
01-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Anyone see this article? I come here for my education so I’d love to hear people’s thoughts. My girlfiriend is completing her masters on animal welfare and these cullings are a hot topic.

One thing I know I struggle with is the reason we hunt/predator control. I love hunting.. I work hard to be ethical and I try and only consume meat that I’ve killed. However I feel our mentality changes and we focus/enjoy the kill more than the supposed benefits when performing predator control.. which to me is wrong.

Again.. I enjoy coming here to be educated and hear different opinions.. so why is it okay to kill wolves purely because we want to pull a trigger? I know not everyone thinks this way, but from those I’ve met - they seemed to be more excited about the prospect of dropping an animal than “correcting” the ecosystem.

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/sadie-parr/theres-nothing-legitimate-about-killing-canadas-iconic-wolves_a_23322128/?utm_hp_ref=ca-british-columbia

tinhorse
01-10-2018, 03:08 PM
I think it is in animals nature to enjoy the hunt and the kill. many animals enjoy a chase and a kill. They dont necessarily even eat that animal they are chasing down. Dogs with cats or rats, cats with mice or birds. Humans, as an animal hunt for food and will kill other animals to protect that resource. Is it wrong to enjoy the kill and satisfaction of protecting the animals that I eat?

01-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Anyone see this article? I come here for my education so I’d love to hear people’s thoughts. My girlfiriend is completing her masters on animal welfare and these cullings are a hot topic.

One thing I know I struggle with is the reason we hunt/predator control. I love hunting.. I work hard to be ethical and I try and only consume meat that I’ve killed. However I feel our mentality changes and we focus/enjoy the kill more than the supposed benefits when performing predator control.. which to me is wrong.

Again.. I enjoy coming here to be educated and hear different opinions.. so why is it okay to kill wolves purely because we want to pull a trigger? I know not everyone thinks this way, but from those I’ve met - they seemed to be more excited about the prospect of dropping an animal than “correcting” the ecosystem.

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/sadie-parr/theres-nothing-legitimate-about-killing-canadas-iconic-wolves_a_23322128/?utm_hp_ref=ca-british-columbia

Exactly how many wolf hunters have you even met?

Can one engage in predator control, and also enjoy predator hunting? If one hunter kills a wolf for predator control, but doesn't really enjoy hunting, is that morally superior?

Finally, who are you to EVER judge the motivations that hunters hold? Are you a clairvoyant??

tinhorse
01-10-2018, 03:15 PM
we could allocate no predator hunting and populations would go out of control and ungulate numbers would dwindle down to extreme lows before the predator numbers dropped and ungulate numbers able to rise up. It would be a natural cycle over a large number of years. As humans we don't want this and want numbers to be static. This allows hunters to take their food, predators to take their food and all is happy. It is a fine line though. You mess with one population or habitat and you mess with both. Too few predators and you get an over abundance of ungulates like Yellowstone and along with that comes disease. Too many predators and you get decimated ungulate populations, like some of the moose and caribou populations in BC.

pg83
01-10-2018, 03:15 PM
How badly do you want this completely biased article to be picked apart?

If we want to see a more diverse landscape then we absolutely need to control predators. What an individual feels upon killing is their business, not mine.

Wild one
01-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Very simple if I want to take animals from the prey side of the food chain I should also take animals from the predator side of the food chain it’s called balance

I also do not kill just to kill. You can utilize the hides from predators and the meat from predators like black bear, grizzly, lynx, bobcat, and cougar( yes I have eaten all of these). I have even met some brave enough to eat canines like wolf and coyote

The biggest thing to realize is man has changed the landscape so much with our cities, Utilities, transport routes, and industry the world is no longer a natural landscape anymore. All of mankind broke Mother Nature and it’s no longer so simple as just let it be.

IronNoggin
01-10-2018, 03:37 PM
How badly do you want this completely biased article to be picked apart?

No Shit!
Penned by Sadie Parr - "Wolf Awareness" Exec Director.
To save you a little time, "Wolf Awareness" is exactly what most here would perceive. A directed Anti campaign against predator control, and focused on the why can't we all get along & leave nature to it's course mantra.
A LOT of the same board members, and share "concerns" & "interests" with Raincoast and many others of this ilk.
In short: Leaf Licking Crazies.

... However I feel our mentality changes and we focus/enjoy the kill more than the supposed benefits when performing predator control.. which to me is wrong.

No one is forcing you to participate.
In fact, a quick review of all your posts suggests you might just want to question whether you're really cut out to be a hunter...
Or Not... :-P

Cheers,
Nog

emerson
01-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Well, this one wasn't too smooth to be figured out easily. Try again grasshopper.

Busterpayton54
01-10-2018, 10:10 PM
I want off this planet.

So what if someone enjoys the kill anyways.

Its ok ok if you are wired to be a homosexual, or transgender... but if you are wired to enjoy killing an animal, well you need to be locked up.

Guess what... we are just another species in the animal kingdom. Some dogs chase cats, some don't. End of story.

338win mag
01-10-2018, 10:46 PM
Sadie Parr? ahhh yes now I remember.....I called her out at one of her seminars, calling her on her bs caused me to call others in the audience on their bs. Nice lady, but deceptive and by the time I was done I think everyone there saw through her shyte.
Dominating a conversation to the point that none could ask a question.
It was a while ago now but the one thing that stood out was she said that the province had gone on an all out campaign to hunt wolves to extinction, I pulled the regs out and showed everyone that that was bs.
She showed that photo of the grizzly and the wolf sniffing noses, you know? the one that was known to be bullshit where the wolf was standing on a knoll about 300 yds away from the grizz but the camera angle was to look like they were sniffing noses and they got along so well.

Theres more,lol, she actually had someone from Idaho on the phone talking to the audience about how the trees and bushes were coming back on the river systems because the Elk were being controlled by the wolves and not eating the bushes anymore, I just wanted to show these guys how a wolf kills another animal, with the sound turned up.

The real jewel was when this 1st nations hippie type got up and said her people never killed wolves because they respected them so much and would never hurt them, what I said then caused a shit storm and I thought I was going to have to fight my way outa there. Funny she never came back and I'd do the same thing again if she came around for another seminar.

Salty
01-10-2018, 11:16 PM

Your assuming a whole bunch of things that just don't add up with anyone I know that hunts wolves. It has **** all to do with "enjoy the kill" "because we want to pull the trigger". It has to do with huge population spikes of wolves in areas of the province where they enter a valley kill everything in it and move on." I'm not sure if they "enjoy the kill" but mega packs do not eat everything they kill by a long stretch if their well fed. Hamstrung ungulates and cattle tell the tale. Poison is a shitty way to go a skillfully placed bullet is a lot more humane.