PDA

View Full Version : Easy rabbit recipe

notyalc
01-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Anybody have a easy last minute kind of recipe to cook a rabbit? Was thinking of just throwing it on a baking sheet with some oil, salt and pepper. How long and what temp should it be baked at?

Chrispryn
01-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Not sure how much time you have to cook the little beast but my mrs always does it in the slow cooker. Just a chicken stew recipe. Delicious

E.B.
01-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Shake n Bake works as well

lowball
01-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Not sure how much time you have to cook the little beast but my mrs always does it in the slow cooker. Just a chicken stew recipe. Delicious

That is a great way to do them.

skibum
01-05-2018, 01:00 PM
My wife followed a rabbit recipe for some hares we shot. Let's just say farmed raised rabbit is a little more tender than hares.

Pressure or slow cookers for the hares. Same as above, chicken stew recipe is awesome.

ForestWalker10
01-05-2018, 01:03 PM
i need to find the little bas_tards first!

Chrispryn
01-05-2018, 01:06 PM
i need to find the little bas_tards first!

Same here. We always had a freezer full back in Aus but since moving I havnt killed any. They are harder to find than Blacktails

ajr5406
01-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Same here. We always had a freezer full back in Aus but since moving I havnt killed any. They are harder to find than Blacktails

Where in Australia are you from? I’m also from there.

bacon_overlord
01-07-2018, 10:16 PM
With snowshoe hares I cut off backstraps, front and back legs and slow cooker them. Very dry due to lean meat otherwise, and too many tiny bones with the back and ribs. Made as a paprikash.. saute meat in pan add diced onion and brown then transfer to crock pot. add large can diced tomato, salt and pepper, chicken stock, and 3+ tablespoons of paprika, depending on your taste. Simmer,then thicken with flour. Once meat is tender and before serving add sour cream. Serve over noodles, rice, or with dumplings.

haggis
05-27-2018, 08:51 PM
ate more than my fair share of shake and bake rabbit ( cotton tail) not at all partial to hare ( jack rabbit) grouse pheasant..
I've also done it in a pan shore fry style with thinned beer batter..

Treed
09-07-2018, 10:16 PM
I’ve gone rabbiting in Oz too. Some farm kids on my uncles property that had a weasel. My dad use to pit lamp them, back in the day. Easiest to snare them here. Just use 10 gauge wire. We get a few every night.

walks with deer
09-20-2018, 09:32 PM
this year is the bottom of the cycle...last few years we killed hundreds wife would debone and make burgers....favorite burger ever i have zero idea what she did...i harvest and bulk plant she details and cooks...old fashioned but works for us.

tigrr
09-21-2018, 06:38 AM
All the rabbit I eat from now on will be de-boned before cooking. $496 to get a tooth fixed from a rib bone. Cooked in a slow cooker. We are going to get enough to do a pressure canning rabbit session. Brown some meat and cook in the pressure canner. Maybe smoke it and then can it.

skibum
09-21-2018, 10:53 AM
this year is the bottom of the cycle....

True, in our hare honey hole around Kamloops we only saw three total for a evening hike. Kids were disappointed.

Anyways good to know that other see this as a bottle cycle year, not just this spot.

Jordan f.
09-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Back when I lived on the island. Me and a member of this forum went rabbit hunting.

Soaking the meat in a brine over night really helps! But my girlfriend and I have roasted snowshoe hare over a fire while camping. Salt, pepper, hot sauce..... it was damn good too....but we'd had a few beers haha

walks with deer
01-02-2019, 10:00 PM
tigrr sorry about the tooth...i did that on a small bone off a red spring...ughh guess he had his revenge...worst part is it was the night before a elk hunt and i went hunting instead of dentist...
(dad need you to drive me for more tylenol before are hike)

lovemywinchester
01-03-2019, 09:37 PM
With snowshoe hares I cut off backstraps, front and back legs and slow cooker them. Very dry due to lean meat otherwise, and too many tiny bones with the back and ribs. Made as a paprikash.. saute meat in pan add diced onion and brown then transfer to crock pot. add large can diced tomato, salt and pepper, chicken stock, and 3+ tablespoons of paprika, depending on your taste. Simmer,then thicken with flour. Once meat is tender and before serving add sour cream. Serve over noodles, rice, or with dumplings.

That sounds really good but keeping with the theme of the thread, we stir fry ours just like chicken and it is great. It can get rid ofa lot ofthe bones as well. My buddy does a confit which is time consuming but really good as well. Lots of bunnies out there. Remember, when hunting winter hare, don't look for the rabbit, look for the eye. And always head shots so they don't get away.

https://i.imgur.com/gm96tujl.jpg

HunterChef
01-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Chicken Cacciatore, "hunter style chicken" (substituting rabbit/hare for the chicken). Here's an example https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chicken-cacciatore-recipe-1943042

Lots of different variations. serve as a stew, or take the meat off the bone and serve with pasta.

Cook it low and slow. Also works best with a younger animal.