PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads for turkey?

bc sportsman
08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Planning on bow hunting for turkey this fall. Any suggestions from anyone who has actually hit a turkey with an arrow as what type of broadhead to use would be gratefully accepted.

My concerns are with the turkey flying away even after a kill shot using regular and mechanical broadheads. :icon_frow

Heard good and bad about the 'guillotine' broadheads. Mixed reviews about using judo points; adder points in conjuction with field points/broadheads; and Zwickey Scorpio points.

Thanks for the help....:biggrin:

mikek blacktail
08-15-2007, 12:38 AM
I shot a gobbler last fall I used a sonic 100 grain . Did the job just fine ,it hit were I was aiming and the turkey went 25yrds.

Brambles
08-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Be prepared for the turkey to run after hit with a bow, they are tough. I hear that some americans have started attaching strings to their arrows so they can follow them easier,must be on a spool like a fishing setup, they run like the wind and usually leave no tracks, and once they get into the timber they blend in very well.

308BAR
08-15-2007, 09:16 AM
The gobbler guillotine!! :mrgreen:

http://www.arrowds.com/guillotine/guillotine.htm

bc sportsman
08-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

willhunt
08-16-2007, 07:53 PM
all broadheads have drawbacks just get one that shoots the most accurately. A gobblers vitals are tiny, so the largest broadhead you can shoot with a great degree of accuracy will be best.

brad ferris
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
i'm not sure a judo point would be a very effective set up for turkeys.i shot one with a g5 montec this spring but didn't recover the bird.i think i'll try to find one of those game tracker string spools. fall turkeys are particularly hard to get close to.so what ever you end up with make sure it shoots well.