PDA

View Full Version : Well that didnt take long

358mag
01-03-2018, 08:51 PM
ONA at court in solidarity (https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/215336/ONA-at-court-in-solidarity)Colin Dacre (https://www.castanet.net/reporter/Colin-Dacre) - Jan 3, 2018 / 5:19 pm | Story: 215336
https://www.castanet.net/content/2018/1/26173277_1687930657919646_7651290481577114355_o_1_ p3276709.jpg Photo: Okanagan Nation Alliance
ONA Sylix leaders showing support for three PIB members facing poaching charges at the Penticton courthouse

Three Penticton Indian Band members had full support from the Okanagan Nation Alliance Wednesday as they made their first court appearance on poaching charges.
Fred, Felix, and Cole Kruger have been charged (https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/213361/3-charged-with-poaching) with three counts for a Jan. 29, 2017 incident where two elk were allegedly harvested on private land. The alleged incident provoked an outcry from the landowners (https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/187430/residents-allege-poaching) and ensuing media attention.
Fred Kruger was recently elected to PIB council.
In photos posted by the ONA (https://www.facebook.com/Okanagan-Nation-Alliance-397039723675419/) to Facebook, PIB Chief Chad Eneas, Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, LSIB Chief Keith Crow and other Sylix leaders were seen at the Penticton courthouse in a showing of solidarity for the three accused men.
According to online records, the trio will be back in court on Jan. 31 to consult legal counsel.
Castanet News reached Fred Kruger at home Wednesday evening, asking if the defendants and ONA would use the situation to make a larger point about First Nation hunting rights.
Kruger declined to comment, but said they would be releasing a statement with the ONA in the coming weeks.
A PIB spokesperson directed questions to the ONA, which could not be reached for comment. Grand Chief Stewart Phillip also did not return requests for comment.

srupp
01-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Hmmm wasn't this the same court where the gentleman who alledgadly smuggled in the handguns?
Hmmm at least consistent. .
Hope they get competent legal assistance. .in their fight to be keepers of the land..on private property..
Steven

Surrey Boy
01-03-2018, 11:47 PM
No condemnation from the community? I'm shocked! Just like I'm shocked that feminists don't condemn false rape accusers and Muslims don't condemn terrorists.

358mag
01-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Hmmm wasn't this the same court where the gentleman who alledgadly smuggled in the handguns?
Hmmm at least consistent. .
Hope they get competent legal assistance. .in their fight to be keepers of the land..on private property..
Steven
Yes Steve same court , sure this is just what the FN's and Grand Chief want . It will end up in the Supreme Court of Canada and our tax $$ will foot the bill .

Ourea
01-04-2018, 10:36 AM
And guess what.....one of the new judges in Penticton is an NDP appointy.

My money is on there will be little or no ramifications for shooting elk on private land, that was clearly posted, out of season, close to the owner's house.

These 'stakeholders' will be partners in any wildlife funding/management model in the future.
I know nothing happens without them but I have grave concerns being in business with a partner that will be given even more control over a resource that is already being abused. Oh, and with no accountability.

IronNoggin
01-04-2018, 01:50 PM
This does not bode well.
Public support for a most shameful act?
Dazed & Confused comes to mind.
That, or simply so self focused as to have lost complete touch with reality perhaps.

Wonder what implications this farce of a trial will have on the Orchard Muley Poacher...

Ticked,
Nog

Ourea
01-04-2018, 01:55 PM
....and one of the accused is a Council Member.

sakohunter
01-04-2018, 02:02 PM
It seems that Private landowners should be standing together as well on this issue. Justice is supposed to be impartial, but we know that in BC it is not.

LBM
01-04-2018, 02:06 PM
So why is there not a larger group of people standing there supporting the prosecution of these guys.
Says next court date is the 31st must be a club or organization in the area that can get enough people to show.
Time to show that people want every one to be treated the same. There getting the support from there people.

Ourea
01-04-2018, 02:34 PM
So why is there not a larger group of people standing there supporting the prosecution of these guys.
Says next court date is the 31st must be a club or organization in the area that can get enough people to show.
Time to show that people want every one to be treated the same. There getting the support from there people.

That would be a racist act.

On the flip side.....
The same area had an FN roadblock set up on the road to the local ski resort protesting an expansion there, Apex.
Firearms were present.....some were pointed at people trying to access their properties driving thru the reservation ....being denied access.

RCMP only monitored and observed.....no charges.

In protest, some non FN folks set up a road block on the only access into town from the reservation.
Guess what?
RCMP had that "protest" dismantled as fast as it went up as it was deemed illegal and politically insensitive.

Anyone that protests against justice not being enforced with regards to FNs....well, .......

Bugle M In
01-04-2018, 02:40 PM

On the flip side.....
The same area had an FN roadblock set up on the road to the local ski resort protesting an expansion there, Apex.
Firearms were present.....some were pointed at people trying to access their properties driving thru the reservation ....being denied access.

In protest, some non FN folks set up a road block on the only access into town from the reservation.
Guess what?
RCMP had that "protest" dismantled as fast as it went up as it was deemed illegal and politically insensitive.

Anyone that protests against justice not being enforced with regards to FNs....well, .......

looks like we need a few more non fn like the ones in montana.... to be heard....just saying.

LBM
01-04-2018, 03:24 PM

On the flip side.....

Guess what?

Well if people want to keep on taking it and not standing up for what they believe in then so be it.
People need to see that hunters stand up for the laws/regs and think all should be treated equal.
I cant see going to a court house as a racist act, unless the wrong people show up and say the wrong thing.

Ourea
01-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Well if people want to keep on taking it and not standing up for what they believe in then so be it.
People need to see that hunters stand up for the laws/regs and think all should be treated equal.
I cant see going to a court house as a racist act, unless the wrong people show up and say the wrong thing.

LBM, you are missing the point in this example.
Any protest would be shut down as fast as it was set up.....get it?
One way street

Bugle M In
01-04-2018, 03:45 PM
When one group can set up a blockade, and have guns present, and another can't even do the same "without guns",
then nothing good is going to come from it one day, that's the sad part, and the RCMP/Government/Courts are the one's responsible for that, but it will be just a "nobody" who will pay the price....sad.

LBM
01-04-2018, 03:55 PM
LBM, you are missing the point in this example.
Any protest would be shut down as fast as it was set up.....get it?
One way street
Yes Im not saying go there with signs and bats, just go there call the media or
have a picture taken and send to the paper. Non hunters need to see that this
(poaching) is not tolerated. The media is used to show how bad people think hunting
is use it in the hunters favour.

Ourea
01-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Yes Im not saying go there with signs and bats, just go there call the media or
have a picture taken and send to the paper. Non hunters need to see that this
(poaching) is not tolerated. The media is used to show how bad people think hunting
is use it in the hunters favour.

Remember, FN and hunters are all stakeholders at the wildlife table.
No foreseeable problems there eh.

Horribly complex to offer a solution to the political mess that is wildlife management.

Wood butcher
01-04-2018, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry but garbage like this just plain pisses me off and makes me sick.

tigrr
01-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Wish I lived closer to be at the show of support for poaching prosecution.

Ajsawden
01-04-2018, 07:36 PM
BC civil war 2018?

Bugle M In
01-04-2018, 07:43 PM
BC civil war 2018?

I sure hope not, for both sides of the fence.
Just wish there was some rationale used here.
Show up to a blockade with guns, that should get you some jail time period.
No reason that one group can do blockade protests in an unsafe manner, yet have another group without weapons be hauled away if they don't leave....stupid S*** waiting to happen is all.

sakohunter
01-04-2018, 08:27 PM
The vocal minority has the ability to make significant changes. The process is based on persistence pressure and a message that is hard to dismiss. Look at Gay rights, Animal rights, legalization of Pot. The hunting community, has yet to lay down a message that is hard to dismiss. Resident hunters was a start but it has faded due to hunting season. Wildlife management based on science would be a great message that is hard to dismiss if persistent pressure was placed on our MLAs. Maybe a reminder that the next election there miss management won't be forgotten. The time of equal right for all Canadians would be a big social issue but our Government is still stuck in its past sins.

WWBC
01-04-2018, 10:00 PM
I agree with Sakohunter

It just needs to be well Packaged. Resedent hunters might need to hire a professional PR company. Mostly because my guess is most hunters are over employed and have more disposable income than time.

chris
01-05-2018, 04:57 PM
If the media starts seeing that these types of cases are getting full courtrooms they may start to pay more attention. If a judge sees a full room looking at him it may influence how he views it as well. If anyone lives there and is retired or otherwise available they should go. Not even to say anything but just simply to show that it is an important issue to the general public.

pg83
01-05-2018, 05:07 PM
There is a part of me that wants to head down for the next session because it is the right thing to do. There is an equal part of me that thinks better of it because of the repercussions...

Bigdoggdon
01-06-2018, 03:37 AM
Well lets all start a betting pool on how this is gonna play out. Three charges. Trespassing - a misdemeanor if convicted will get a fine at most, probably acquitted because they were still within their "traditional territory". Illegal position of wildlife - cant see that one sticking on the best day. The only one that might carry some weight is the firearms offenses, they'll likely get convicted on this one and receive a ban on possessing firearms which will get appealed to the supreme court of Canada where it will be overturned because a judge will say possessing firearms is their traditional right. And as previously stated all court costs will be at the taxpayers expense.

HappyJack
01-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Well lets all start a betting pool on how this is gonna play out. Three charges. Trespassing - a misdemeanor if convicted will get a fine at most, probably acquitted because they were still within their "traditional territory". Illegal position of wildlife - cant see that one sticking on the best day. The only one that might carry some weight is the firearms offenses, they'll likely get convicted on this one and receive a ban on possessing firearms which will get appealed to the supreme court of Canada where it will be overturned because a judge will say possessing firearms is their traditional right. And as previously stated all court costs will be at the taxpayers expense.

Or maybe the judge will hang them, they've done that in the past for far less.

358mag
01-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Yes , Yes + Yes and our dear Justin will be there the steps of the Supreme Court to greet them with a large 7 figure cheque for all 3 of the poor innocent FN's .

IronNoggin
01-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Or maybe the judge will hang them, they've done that in the past for far less.

Can I be the first on the ride that takes me back to that place & time? :p

Wondering...
Nog