PDA

View Full Version : Venison ground

Chrispryn
01-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Hi all

Not exactly a recipe, more of a question about processing.

I took a big necked, big bodied whitetail during the rut out of region 3 in November.

I did not do the butchering. I had it done by a good shop that has always done a great job for me.

My problem is with the ground meat. All my steaks, chops and roasts taste awesome but the ground meat was foul. I couldn't cook it inside, let alone eat it.

Any thoughts? My thinking was that some tallow got into the grinder but im not sure.

Ive since turned the ground into sausage and the smoke and spices has covered the bad taste.

Love to hear if anyone else has had an experience like this and what may have caused it.

Cheers

Chris

pnbrock
01-03-2018, 06:57 PM
i find beef fat added to venison makes it taste bad along with smell.now i strictly add pork picnic now.

dougan
01-03-2018, 07:03 PM
You must trim fat and whatnot from your venison if you are sensitive to “gamey” taste . The fat is where it comes from and once frozen for a while tends to get stronger. Most butchers don’t trim. fat for ground as it’s time consuming

dougan
01-03-2018, 07:05 PM
I should add when I make my ground venison I do not add pork or beef fat as it is unnessary , little olive oil when cooking works great

Chrispryn
01-03-2018, 08:23 PM
You must trim fat and whatnot from your venison if you are sensitive to “gamey” taste . The fat is where it comes from and once frozen for a while tends to get stronger. Most butchers don’t trim. fat for ground as it’s time consuming

I wouldnt consider myself sensitive to the "gamey" taste but i know what you mean. The more i think about it, the taste has to be from the fat that wasnt cleaned away.

I also like the idea of no fat added and using the oil. Would that work with rendered bear fat?

elknut
01-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Hi ...I found I was having the same problem with my elk burger..Started a thread and asked for advice..My elk is wonderful now after telling my butcher I wanted EXTRA LEAN hamburger and no fat added..That's my suggestion..Dennis..

Angus
01-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Why let anyone add anything to your game, unless you have tons of experience with that butcher and trust them explicitly? I ask them to gimme steaks, roasts and just grind the rest, I'll add the fat whether it be beef or pork later on prior to cooking depending on the planned use.

walks with deer
01-03-2018, 10:05 PM
dude you got x pounds ground deer for x pounds of too be ground you provided.. they grind all at once mixing your deer with someonelses gut shot sun cooked deer not kidding..ill bet i can guess the butcher?

last light
01-03-2018, 10:22 PM
^^^^^ What he said. Do yourself a favor and do it yourself from now on. I have, and no more problems.

Chrispryn
01-03-2018, 10:29 PM
dude you got x pounds ground deer for x pounds of too be ground you provided.. they grind all at once mixing your deer with someonelses gut shot sun cooked deer not kidding..ill bet i can guess the butcher?

I did wander that also. I hope its not the case.

Chrispryn
01-03-2018, 10:30 PM
So second question. What grinder you guys using?

Dannybuoy
01-03-2018, 11:18 PM
I did wander that also. I hope its not the case.Its common practice , I have asked and it wax confirmed by the meatcutter .....

Ovis17
01-03-2018, 11:27 PM
I have noticed that since I started cutting, wrapping and freezing my deer myself (last 4-5 deer) I haven't had ANY off flavours or "bad meat" including burger which I grind myself as well. (My wife actually pointed this out the other night.) Definitely something to be said for doing it yourself! Cheaper, rewarding and I KNOW I'm getting MY meat.

walks with deer
01-04-2018, 06:11 AM
guranteed my freind..
and they charge you over a hundred bucks to give you back poopy meat..
wife and i refuse to let this happen any more i bulk cut she details and vacum seals... princess auto $100
we do not pregrind it we labell to be ground in 2lbs packages..
if you live close to a good guy bucher you can get him to run all your trim at once while you bag it..
i had all my trim from a moose,caribou,a muley and two whitetails ground for $30 while i bagged it.before i got a good grinder... if your talking one animal two be ground can also be stew.

Hunter gatherer
01-04-2018, 06:52 AM
Cabelas has decent grinders on sale. If it's for your personal use they will be fine. You don't need the biggest one just be sure it has a metal gear not plastic.

tomahawk
01-04-2018, 08:24 AM
The sausage you get is almost always from a mix of everyones meat as well as the burger.

wideopenthrottle
01-04-2018, 09:36 AM
The sausage you get is almost always from a mix of everyones meat as well as the burger.

and that is why I will never use a butcher again

ajr5406
01-04-2018, 03:32 PM
So second question. What grinder you guys using?

A good idea is to split the costs of a decent grinder with a few guys you hunt with or friends. You probably only use it a few days a year anyway.

TexasWalker
01-04-2018, 04:43 PM

I know the shop well where this deer was processed and I can guarantee you this isn't the case.

Mature swollen neck bucks don't make the best burger.

Chrispryn
01-04-2018, 10:28 PM
I know the shop well where this deer was processed and I can guarantee you this isn't the case.

Mature swollen neck bucks don't make the best burger.

How could it be that the burger has the bad flavour? That meat would be coming off all parts of the animal? Or could it be that some sections are holding the bad taste and those areas taint the rest?