PDA

View Full Version : cougar outfitters in BC

monasheemountainman
01-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Are there any deals for resident hunters out there? anyone know of any outfits that offer cheaper prices to residents, or does it still come out of their allocations? I have no idea how it works.

Thanks

01-03-2018, 02:49 PM
P m sent you way ...... Watch out for a dude named Babe or some thing like that though.

Last we heard Babe was in hot water over something .......

monasheemountainman
01-03-2018, 02:56 PM
thanks CT....

Fisher-Dude
01-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Cougars aren't Category A allocated species.

monasheemountainman
01-03-2018, 03:30 PM
cool good to know, so it would probably be the same price then for residents I guess. Thanks FD

srupp
01-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Hmmm best cougar guide outfitter is Chilcotin Hillbilly..he guides in the same valley the world record cat was harvested.he has great dogs.super knowledgable..just a great guy..Skinner Creek Outfitters. .Tatlyoko" west of Tata lake.
I can recomend Doug..100%..

Err..only issue I found was at dinners..can't tell the dinner buns from the desert buns...lol if in doubt..don't add butter and scarf down...ha ha ha..

Cheers
Steven

pg83
01-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Haven't found any deals myself, but I have only asked a couple outfitters. Hoping to befriend someone with hounds one of these days.

pnbrock
01-03-2018, 06:45 PM
definitely on my bucket list to see these hounds in action..be watching this thread closely

BRvalley
01-03-2018, 07:22 PM
haven't found any resident deals in BC myself either but have seen a handful of great deals get sold on the FB Alberta groups (one was 3500cad just before Christmas but only for AB residents)....so for now I keep buying my tag and hope I get shit lucky while hiking or fishing lol

maybe stay on top of the fb groups if you are looking for a deal, they go quick

albravo2
01-03-2018, 07:30 PM
I've always liked Chilcotin Hillbilly as far as his HBC personality goes. He handles himself with class even when the mud is flying in his direction for being an outfitter.

If I was going to do a cougar hunt I would definitely reach out to him.

Whether or not there should be a discount for resident hunters is a tough one. As a resident, I can hunt cougars on my own, I just won't probably kill one. For increasing the odds by using a qualified guide and trained dogs, I feel like I should pay a pretty close approximation of the price that a German or Yank would pay, less some premium for the fact that I can buy my own tag.

lorneparker1
01-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Just get a houndsmen to take you for some gas money :oops:

MOOSE MILK
01-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Why should a guide take you out for cheaper rate than a non resident? He dose the same work for you as he does for someone from overseas. Only you will pay less for your licence.
When I salmon chartered the guy from Sooke paid the same as the guy from Japan, only he paid a lot more for his licence.

Huevos
01-07-2018, 01:50 AM
it would be nice if a resident could go for less, but the outfitter is still taking all the risk. I had a cat kill one of my dogs. that is a chance a houndsman takes every time he\she lets the dogs go. If the outfitter loses a dog, it will cost $2-5K to replace with another quality hound. Hard to justify a major discount, but maybe an outfitter could offer a 10% resident hunter discount...... just thought Id throw it out there.

boxhitch
01-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Dollars at par would be enough of a deal imo
Most hunts are priced in US$

Fisher-Dude
01-07-2018, 10:02 AM
We've been asking the houndsmen to consider mentoring more young folks/first timers to get into cat hunting.

Most of the cat hunting fraternity around here is getting like me, old 'n' grey, and not many are shooting cats anymore, they are more into pursuit.

I was fortunate enough to get to hunt with a group of knowledgeable cat hunters for a few years, and learn the ropes, and get a nice cat.

https://i.imgflip.com/229w2i.jpg

Maybe some of the houndsmen on here could hook you up with a group in your area? I think it's crucial that we have new cat hunters getting into it, otherwise we may see the hunt fade out due to lack of interest.

pg83
01-07-2018, 10:36 AM
If there are any houndsmen reading this, I'm in Penticton and would love to tag along for an adventure or three. I'd be just as happy packing a camera as anything else!

Wild one
01-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Just like anything else you often get what you pay for. Chilcotin Hillbilly has a good reputation for a reason and have heard nothing but good from those who have hunted with him

I have heard lots of stories of budget cougar hunts that were a horrible experiences

monasheemountainman
01-07-2018, 11:39 AM
For sure, I am not looking for a charity by any means, just asking the question is all. I'd love to get out with a houndsman, if even to just help out and watch the dogs work!

digger dogger
01-07-2018, 11:40 AM
I believe there is a young lady, in the Okanogan that is leasing hounds, for the DIY, guys.
I don't have any other info, it's just what I've heard.

northof49
01-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Better hurry up if you want to do it.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton

LBM
01-08-2018, 07:02 AM
For sure, I am not looking for a charity by any means, just asking the question is all. I'd love to get out with a houndsman, if even to just help out and watch the dogs work!
It all depends on the terrain, location etc but in most cases you don't see much dog work a few seconds at the start and then some at the end. Will see and learn lots of what went on by following the tracks. If you get some of the older Lancaster videos they have a few scenes from across the canyons showing the dogs working on a trail.
Don't no about all regions but in region 4 it is not dying out to lack of interest as someone here is suggesting, there is more and more people every year. What is causing people to
lose interest is the lack of cats,

HighCountryBC
01-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Don't no about all regions but in region 4 it is not dying out to lack of interest as someone here is suggesting, there is more and more people every year. What is causing people to
lose interest is the lack of cats,

Interesting. That's not what myself or the guys I know in R4 are finding at all the last few years.

Elkaholic
01-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Interesting. That's not what myself or the guys I know in R4 are finding at all the last few years.

You might be the lucky ones then. The cats are beat waaaay down from even 4-5 years ago. There is more people here and less cats it seems every year. Just means more 2am wake up calls to go find the cat before the other guy does.

Fisher-Dude
01-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Same here in region 8. The guys I speak with here that are honest about it say they've never seen so many cats, and they are people who've been running them for decades.

However, there are a few that cry the blues about cat numbers. They don't shoot many (any) cats anymore, they're more interested in pursuit and seem to think the fewer that are shot and the less "competition" :roll: for cats, the easier it is for them to get on 3 or 4 chases a day. They'd be quite happy with a no-kill season and 4 months of pursuit instead, I think.

LBM
01-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Same here in region 8. The guys I speak with here that are honest about it say they've never seen so many cats, and they are people who've been running them for decades.

However, there are a few that cry the blues about cat numbers. They don't shoot many (any) cats anymore, they're more interested in pursuit and seem to think the fewer that are shot and the less "competition" :roll: for cats, the easier it is for them to get on 3 or 4 chases a day. They'd be quite happy with a no-kill season and 4 months of pursuit instead, I think.

Cant speak for region 8 dont no what goes on there. Or the people you talk to. Cat numbers are down in many MUs in region 4 and number of people out there is up, this is why some are loosing interest. I have never heard of anybody getting in 3/4 chases a day. Had a couple days over the last 30 yrs were we have gotten 2 chases in a day. Never heard of any one ever wanting a no-kill season either but some would like it better managed and would like the pursuit to include March as well similar to other areas.

HighCountryBC
01-08-2018, 05:59 PM

This would be a pretty accurate picture in region 4 as well. Couple years ago my brother in law took a female and was just about crucified by a few EK houndsmen. You're right. It's the same guys crying the blues. Meanwhile my brother in law and his buddies just keep getting it done. And yes, they're still killing females (why wouldn't you!?)

Was just out in that neck of the woods for a couple weeks. We had no problem cutting tracks and chasing cats all over winter range areas. Couple of big cats were killed. We ran into 1 person the entire time we were out. Hardly what I'd call a "busy" place.

horshur
01-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Why kill cats? Predation is complementary and contribute 4% mule deer mortality.

180grainer
01-08-2018, 06:12 PM
We've been asking the houndsmen to consider mentoring more young folks/first timers to get into cat hunting.

Most of the cat hunting fraternity around here is getting like me, old 'n' grey, and not many are shooting cats anymore, they are more into pursuit.

I was fortunate enough to get to hunt with a group of knowledgeable cat hunters for a few years, and learn the ropes, and get a nice cat.

https://i.imgflip.com/229w2i.jpg

Maybe some of the houndsmen on here could hook you up with a group in your area? I think it's crucial that we have new cat hunters getting into it, otherwise we may see the hunt fade out due to lack of interest.

Nice rug!!!!

horshur
01-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Just get a dog with some hound in it. Find a fresh track in the snow and track the cat down. Leash dog up if it won't trail..unleash when it wants too..The process will teach you more about deer hunting,get you out of the house,teach you about dogs,probably extend your life by fitness...and after all that you probably will get you cat too.