PDA

View Full Version : 2017 moose hunt

srupp
12-30-2017, 11:19 PM
I am starting my 2017 moose hunt on our trip and.success..
I had a tough choice..go north..the guys that went north got 2 moose..195...and 198..!..or stay and help two rookie moose hunters..sharing set up..gear..strategies..calling..how..why..where..i chose to stay and pass on the tradition..
I was blessed in that 22 moose hunters that I shared ideas, areas..etc got their moose..some have shared their story on here..some have not..
This is my account of my trip and the events that happened..with the group I went along with on their invitation..and how it turned into one of my favorite moose memories ever.
If someone will post 2 moose photos ? I can not get into imgur..
I want to start with photos..lol so uncharacteristic of me..lol
Then the story will start..
Happy new year all.
Srupp

Shikari300WSM
12-30-2017, 11:33 PM
Happy New Year to you as Well man! Looking forward to pics and story!

IronNoggin
12-31-2017, 01:14 PM
... If someone will post 2 moose photos ? I can not get into imgur..
...Then the story will start..

I'm Your Huckleberry... ;)

PM sent my Friend...

Cheers,
Nog

HarryToolips
12-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Look forward to this.....

Moose63
12-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Getting the popcorn out...."favorite moose memories ever"...Wow!

IronNoggin
12-31-2017, 05:16 PM
With Apologies to Steve, and the audience at large!!
No sooner got the pictures loaded up than She Who Rules decided I HAD to run out and collect a few last minute goodies for New Beers. That mission accomplished, on with the next...

Two Pictures Buddy??

OK, here's the first two, and I will await your command for the next two... :grin:

https://i.imgur.com/tLUypFs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GQbiwFY.jpg

And... GO! :wink:

Standing by...
Nog

IronNoggin
12-31-2017, 05:39 PM
And... Green Lighted for the next two:

https://i.imgur.com/b3bLi07.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WIleN2Q.jpg

Steve Buddy, you are UP Sir...

pg83
12-31-2017, 05:43 PM
You cheated us Nog, 2 of these pics are not like the others.

Get to the story now Steven. I'll be back tomorrow to check it out, should give you enough to get the first moose down!!!

srupp
12-31-2017, 06:23 PM
Thank you Matt my friend. .i appreciate your help..
Happy new years buddy
Steven

bigredchev
12-31-2017, 06:27 PM
Story? I got hunters blue shells here...

IronNoggin
12-31-2017, 06:31 PM
Happy new years buddy

Right Back Atcha!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/8dfe709e7989649f6383209c59be8b8d/tenor.gif?itemid=7397911

Nog

srupp
01-01-2018, 05:45 PM
hmmm spent all day doing this story..its on 4 pages on my computer WORD DOCUMENT..how the heck do I get it here?without having Susan retype it?

happy new year..started at noon..finish at 4 cant post it..
priceless

Steven

srupp
01-01-2018, 05:56 PM
year's moose hunt wasa result of meeting Manny and Loui when they contacted me in 2015 regarding aspring grizzly bear hunt in the Cariboo Mountains, we chatted numerous timesand I got to think very highly of the two men. We discussed areas, strategiesand that although the Bears were extremely well fed.. The Bears in this area weresome of the meanest and aggressive of anywhere I'd been. Manny and Loui werehunting at the end of the hunting season which coincided with the rut.
What we didn't want to have happen.. Happened.. a grizzlybear came out and charged Loui.. Manny made a spectacular shot and he hadharvested a 7 foot mature grizzly.. However this grizzly was missing one eye..Having obviously been in the fight in recent days.
I laughed when he told me the story and said that theyweren't allowed back in the woods by themselves.. And any future hunts wouldhave to include me… Little did I know..

Fast forward to the spring of 2017 when Manny called me.. Totalk about Moose and the LEH for the fall
Hunt, we discussed areas times and specific locations anddecided on the October 1-15.
In 2016 I had conversations with 17 groups of hunters whowere successful in both fly in hunts and region five Moose Hunts.. Manny hadnever harvested a Moose before so I was eager to help him achieve this goal.Sometime very closely after the draw was completed I received a very anxiousphone call from Manny to inform me they had won two tags for the Moose draw inregion five.
I had planned on going North this year for a fly in Moosehunt.. However I chose to go with Loui and Manny and plans for the 2017 seasonhad begun.
We chatted many times over this summer, lists werecompiled…. Food, clothes, equipment, and it was decided that Manny, Loui,Renato, Pino.. The Moose Mafia would arrive at our home in Williams Lake on thesecond last day of September.
Susan was tremendous in making meals, loading the 26 foottravel trailer, I concentrated on taking some drives out in the area to seewhat the major fires had done, and how close to the area they've got. All wasgood and no fires came remotely close to the area I had planned for thesegentlemen to hunt.
In 2017 it had been a very busy year for Moose inquiries..And little did I know that it would be one of the most successful years forbringing home moose.. When 2017 was completed 22 moose had been harvested byfly in hunters.. And region five hunts…by groups asking for suggestions.
No I did not merely say go to this cutblock.. And shoot..But the differences between September and October and November hunts… Differentelevations, different areas, different strategies… And in spite of the firesthis turned out to be one of the best years for success that I can remember.
When Tim and I drove into this area to have a look around wewere not looking for tracks or actual animals we were looking for signs thatthe ecosystem was intact and not destroyed by fire. When we decided that allwas good I knew the Moose were there and it was only a matter of time andeffort...

srupp
01-01-2018, 05:58 PM
With everything ready, we waited for the arrival of theMoose Mafia, and shortly before lunch on the second last day of September.. Theexcited group of hunters arrived from the coast. I had printed up maps of thearea realizing that this group of hunters would get broken up into smallerhunting units and not of these guys had been in this area ever before. Mapshave roads GPS locations to help them arrive back at camp. One hour afterarriving.. Three rigs pulled out of our house headed north. One hour later wearrived at an unmarked location in the woods. Home for the next 10 days. Thetravel trailer was unhooked, slide outs deployed, canopies out…fridge, waterheater made operational by the push of a button..lol.. Roughing it at hisfinest… The fiberglass tent. A second truck had a camper.. And a third truckhad a cab box and canopy. An out housewas constructed... With even a brand-new toilet seat.styling. That evening wewent for a drive and located all the points of interest that would be neededfor Moose.. Deer..hunt.locations for tampons soaked in moose urine..Buckexpert.. Areas that in the past we harvested Moose, areas for bear, deer…predators…
That evening at supper we discussed areas to be hunted onopening morning. I prefer early mornings and stay all day at one location,hanging a tampon soaked in urine and calling every 15 min. by the clock for theentire day. This strategy raise some eyebrows from the Moose Mafia.. Howeverthe area is quite grown-up and any cut blocks now hold Christmas tree sizedtrees.. During the rut… The stay and call method out produces the spot andstalk… By far. For two reasons one there aren't many open areas, and it is verydifficult in this environment to stealthily approach a bull moose. Evening hada glass a wine raised by each Hunter.. In anticipation of the morning.. Openingday.
These 4 hunters were relatives and so they worked very welltogether whether cleaning, cooking, fire building, building out houses.. Orwhat ever.. They happily.. Readily contributed anything they had for the betterof the group. They were cheerful and readily looked forward to hunting moose.Kind of group of guys it was a pleasure to be around.
I have to admit that for a Hunter that has never used urinesoaked tampons and sit and call Moose it may stretch credibility to try toexplain this strategy.. And I'm certain it was only Manny and Louis success with the grizzly bear that hadallowed a chance of them believing that this would work.
I knew it would.
We also spent time having each member try his hand at Moosecalling.. And to my surprise they all excelled at it.
Equipment was laid out, ATVS were loaded.. Lunchs made… Anda reasonably early turn in for the night. This is the

srupp
01-01-2018, 06:00 PM
October 1, 2017, an early rise.. Breakfast.. Confirmlocations for groups of hunters and while still dark off each group went. Ichose to tag along with Louis and Manny.. And we headed towards Terrancestrail.. Arriving at a chosen location just as dawn was breaking.. Having scaredup six or seven Ruffed.. Grouse..
We sat and listened and after 15 or so minutes we gave asoft cow call.. And waited…
Shortly thereafter a coyote run right in.. I laughed andmentioned.. That we might need to adjust our calling.. The weatherdeteriorated, the wind started to howel.. And it started to rain..
After calling for five or six hours with the wind and therain making us wet and cold we decided that day one.. Was over..
That evening at dinner.. We discussed the weather, thecomplete lack of sign.. Although we did hear cow Moose on several occasions..Just no bulls.
We enjoyed a 6 cheese lasagna, some wine made by MannysDad.. And some ice cream cake.
We discussed strategies for day two, and decided on newlocations, in the area.
October 2 found us up and early..hearty breakfast and off toour chosen locations.. Arriving in the dark we quietly settled in.. And soonstarted calling.. On the trip in we had seen some deer.. So after half an hourof calling Loui went for a walk.. Manny and I stayed and continued on withcalling.. almost instantly after Loui had left.. Without any sound. Here came abull moose, trotting directly at us.. MOOSEI whispered.. But Manny had seen the same Moose at the same time.. We got Mannyto set up shooting sticks and get ready… As the bull was still at 100 yards.. Iwhispered wait… Hoping to get the Moose, and knowing that he would get muchcloser.. At the instant I whispered wait..YUP Manny let her fly BOOOOOM. I wasnot expecting that.. but instantly the bull humped up..we could hear the TWACKof the bullet hitting, the bull twisted.. And fell to the ground.. dead.. Withthat I replied..” That will work too “ Manny my friend you got yourself aMoose.! I can assure you rumors about Italians and their propensity to beexcitable is an understatement…lol I don't know whether it was tears ofhappiness, or just excitement at what happened within the first hour of thesecond day. But the emotions were real, and heartfelt.. My friend had harvestedhis first bull Moose.. When Manny's excitement had diminished a bit.. We tooksome photos, of course canceling his tag… And started opening the Moose.. WhenLoui showed up.. I left Manny and Loui together.. Well I went and got the othertwo.. Renato and Pino.
With four strong young men, truck.. And proper gear we hadthe Moose cut up.. And were headed back to camp… a proper meat pole waserected.. The Moose was bagged, hung, and a tarp for shade was hung over top… And some real celebrationswere instituted.. The glasses of wine got bigger.. Supper meal was even moregrand. And so on the second day in the first hour we had our first bull mooseon the ground, and plans were made for the following morning to get Pino his firstmoose.

srupp
01-01-2018, 06:00 PM
So October the third, at dark 30 in the morning Pino and Iheaded down to a small creek and a big cut block.. We sat up the quads, pouredcoffee and started to call.. This continued until around 1030.. When I thoughtI heard a bull respond from many hundreds of yards away.. I noticed instantlythat Pino.. Had swiveled his head and was looking in the same direction that Iheard a grunt.. Pino whispered..” I think I heard a bull grunt “I assured himthat he was correct but the bull was a long ways off.. Since the bull hadreplied.. I responded with sexy cow call.. And heard a reply.. Each time thebull grunted.. I responded.. 10 min. after this started the Bulls volume and tone and clarity indicated he was on theway in.. If the wind didn't change, if I didn't screw up the call, or if a realcow showed up.. Other then that.. Pino had a bull en route… This type of bullhunting.. Gives the hunter a chance.. To get excited...hearing thewauuuugggghhh.. Get louder….and closer..louder and closer.. It takes a toll ona hunters emotions.. I had Pino get the shooting sticks ready… When I heard aloud snap.. The bull was very close in the Christmas trees.. Then.. I couldhear him breathing.. The sharp exhale from his nostrils… And now very loudWAUUUUUGH.. Coming in bursts of three..wauhh….wauh..waughhhh.. And now thescraping of the horns.. On a tree very close… coming right out to us.. And theroad.. A mere 70 yards.. From the tampon.
Suddenly there was a nose..then just the head.. Looking leftand right up and down the road..
I whisper to Pino..wait… And with that gave one more sexycow call…soft..pleading..desperate.. And the bull stepped up onto the road..inthe direct sun..under 25 yards from us.
Pino I whispered.. There's your bull..take him. withthat..Pino fired..the bull lurched forward…. Rolling down down the bank..30feet.
Day three, lunchtime two…1100 pound bull moose down..missionaccomplished.. fun was had by everyone..lol
we ensure the bull was deceased, the tag was filled and Ileft the overwhelmed hunter..who had not stopped exclaiming he had done it..!!!he had shot a moose..his very first moose..completely overwhelmed by the wholeseries of events..the long climactic chain of events..culminating in hisharvest.this is the best moose hunt ..IMO when you get to listen..hear the bullresponding..getting closer..louder.. More agitated..
Once again I went and got the other hunters, and repeatedthe previous days.. Of cutting, loading, getting back to camp.. Andhanging the second bull next to thefirst.
That night the guys went into a nearby campground and hadshowers.
The next day we packed up and headed home as the temperaturewas too hot to reliably preserve the meat quality.
I want to thank these Gentlemen.. Wonderful time.. That Iwill never forget..
I wasn't back guiding… I was hunting with real friends, ahuge difference.

nature girl
01-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Great story Steven I bet they were so glad you were helping them out and teaching them a lot of new things.
That's what friends are for. Good on ya.

quadrakid
01-01-2018, 06:40 PM
great stuff Steve.Helping out others seems to be a calling for you,kudos.

IronNoggin
01-01-2018, 06:42 PM
... I replied..” That will work too “ ...

LOL! Loved that line Buddy!

Great story, well worth the wait! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif
Pretty damn quick & efficient work!

And you're absolutely right IMHO, there is no moose hunting that compares to calling them on!

Cheers!
Nog

Islandeer
01-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Beautiful stuff!
What a traditional moose hunt, life time memories created in in a heartbeat.

Congrats to you and your mates!!

~T-BONE~
01-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Well done Steve! Awesome to see you out there helping others out!!

cuervosail
01-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Congratulations all around. Super kudos to you for your assistance with these guys. No doubt, they hold you in high regard!

srupp
01-01-2018, 11:10 PM
It truly was a wonderful experience being with 3 guys that love hunting. And being in the outdoors..moose hunting during the rut is the easiest hunt around..these guys spent the $$$ to get up here. .and home..they trusted Manny..and Loui..I'm sure they would have been successful with me staying at home and just mentioning how..why..and roughly where..
Hmm having done this for over 30 years I wasn't guessing..was it a guarantee..no such thing but I was completely confident in the location and the plan..same with the other 20 hunters who asked and went themselves and we're successful without me..the posted story of the Spoken lake moose x2..posted last fall..an example of knowing the area..and what truly works..for the guys that flew into remote lakes..i always stew..hoping that the moose read the script. .but the guy who took his Dad on a fly in moose hunt..that's $$$$ serious $$$$ but got 1 great bull..day 2 and a huge..Huge BOONER bull also..
Guys here have helped me far more than I have been able to try to help..BC rams..Brent..proguide". .Sitkaspruce. .Leaseman..dead dog. .Chilcotin Hillbilly. .Scott..Jackpine..Matt Stabler...RJ..Kevin Willis..Andrew..Butcher..and the list is far more extensive..
I remember taking Big boar 14..Dave and his brother on a grizzly hunt in Kwatna..truly wonderful experience...who knew both the Grizzly hunting and Dave would be both soon gone.li never miss any opportunity to help..Terence..Curly top..ydouask. Hank..Big Lew..KURT..Phil..Andy..
I often got phone calls from guys who had never shot, nor harvested a grizzly..i asked how much they knew....nothing was the answer a lot of times..after 30 plus years hunting chasing them I realized I knew more than nothing..so I volinteer what I know.
Calling moose ain't difficult..but having someone there that has fooled literally hundreds of moose helps fine tune the process..same as use of tampons and Buck Expert cow urine...
Confidence is also a great teacher..being successful imparts Confidence
However doing something for decades does not guarantee success..i have hunted rocky Mountain bighorn at Spenses Bridge for 17 years..found shooters during the annual"l count..a couple times during the GOS., but never got a ram..a couple in retrospect. .should have pulled the trigger..have had 3 dall LEH tags..passed up rams but found them..have had I'm put into 9 dall sheep hunters success..and when situations change I feel tremendously sad , Personaly upset when the plan fails..and grizzly hunt in late season the tat..and d weather is always an issue but did not expect nor experience the vast amount of hunters nor the impact of these numbers.
Hmmmm I am nothing special...just keep trying....
Some say I am very trying...lol
I hope to have the Moose Mafia as friends for life..

Steven

brownmancheng
01-01-2018, 11:47 PM
awesome story thanks srupp

LuckyIfYouGetOne
01-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Great bulls and story!

Arctic Lake
01-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Just checking in with HBC ,have not been on in awhile. Steven that was a great story and so good of you to help those guy's out !
Arctic Lake

srupp
01-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Hoping that when the moose mafia get back from Mexico they could add a few points....as for me great guys..exellent trip..lol just too short but you pull the trigger when a bull shows up..no high grading on a meat hunt.
Welcome back.
Steven

srupp
01-19-2018, 11:25 PM
The members of Moose Mafia are now home..hope one or more adds to their story. .
Cheers
Steven

RyoTHC
01-20-2018, 07:56 AM
The members of Moose Mafia are now home..hope one or more adds to their story. .
Cheers
Steven

Nice to see you posting again moose whisperer. Hope all is WELL!

charlie_horse
01-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Awesome bulls Steve thanks for the story!

Rob Chipman
01-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Steve- you're awesome. Nice work.

Mtn Wonderer
01-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Steve,
Your Karma is the size of a mountain, selfless guys like yourself are doing so much to keep the hunting traditions alive.

I am going to thank you!!!! Again for all the hunters the you have helped over the years!!!! Your a true role model for the modern hunter!!!

MTW

Manny the bull
01-21-2018, 05:20 PM
correction......it was 213 yard shot and with little of his chest showing, I made the perfect shot.

srupp
01-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Hmmm i stand corrected...lol

Steven

kennyj
01-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Great story Steven!! Thanks for sharing.
kenny

Manny the bull
01-22-2018, 04:38 PM
wow,.....well written Steve. I felt the goose bumps all over again. I would like to start by thanking Steve and Susan for their hospitality and warm welcome to there home. I met Steve through this site referred to by my cousin. I had drawn a grizzly tag and Steve was most generous enough to had help me harvest my bear, but I'll tell that tale another day.
When I found out that I was successful in my moose draw i had called Steve up, I gotta say he did not sound pleased. It wasn't long into our conversation that i realized that this guy has been putting in for the same area and hasn't been pulled for some time. Steve recommended this area to me and I was successful on the first attempt.....just luck I guess! Nevertheless, we were happy to have Steve join the Italian moose mafia and what an unbelievable time and experience I had. I can't be more grateful enough to have had harvested my first moose, but to also have had the pleasure to watch Steve masterly call in the moose not once but twice and teach us the art to having a successful hunt. I'm honored to call him my friend and hunting companion, there's not to many guys out there that would ever share the knowledge from countless years of hunting to just anyone but, the legend of Steve carries on. The story of this hunt could not have been told any better and as accurate, thank you buddy for a tremendous experience. moose mafia for life!

Sincerely,
Manny

srupp
01-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Thanks Manny..it was privilege and my honor to join 4 wonderful gentlemen and do my part to help 2 friends get their very first bull moose.you guys did perfectly. ..2 great bulls in 3 days..perfect.
Cheers Bro.
Steven

srupp
01-22-2018, 11:57 PM
The best part of this hunt besides the amazing gentlemen was the confidence that even though 2 guys had never harvested a moose..i am confident any one of these guys could now go out and successful set up a good camp, know what to bring and why, how to call..where when..how and why and have a pretty significant opportunity to harvest another moose.
That is the highlight of this successful hunt.
Srupp

Sniperdan
01-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Steve, your stories are always great. Sounds to me like many people have had the honor of having you as a friend and hunting partner. If I ever feel that I need a little extra guidance I know who to call. lol You sound like an awesome guy to have in any hunting camp!