PDA

View Full Version : This is going too far....

brownmancheng
12-29-2017, 11:03 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/3938257/b-c-court-recognizes-extinct-aboriginal-group-upholds-u-s-indigenous-mans-right-to-hunt-in-canada/

Surrey Boy
12-29-2017, 11:31 PM
It's been too far for thirty years.

OceanMon
12-30-2017, 01:13 AM
This is crazy. I'm all for reconcilation and all that.... But everybody needs to be on the same side for conservation to work

Ride Red
12-30-2017, 07:06 AM
What a crock of horseshit. When will this end?

pnbrock
12-30-2017, 08:08 AM
when will they start their land claims, is there a judge ready to hand over ?

WWBC
12-30-2017, 08:31 AM
So much potential for more bad case law here.

There needs to be one law for all! Also, there should be more talk about the SPECIFIC FN groups that are doing a great job for wild life. I think we should be shoring Those guys up and partnering with them at every opportunity.

That way we can collectively deal with the use groups and organizations that waste, misuse or threaten wildlife.

With that said: Its 2018 almost. We're all Canadians and share equal title to and resposabilaty for this land.
This ill informed feel good trend off giving everything back to the descendants of original First Nations people is just virtue signalling and is bad news for wild life and future generations of hunters FN or not.

If X tribe wants to Hunt in BC outside of hunting seasons and limits Fine. But first that band needs to prove a management stragy consistent with that of other land managers in that area. Then prove that though their conservation efforts on the land that they have enabled a harvestable surplus in exess of what they intend to kill.
Call it an: Earned exemption for land stewards.

Sick of this entitlement crap.

Canada's policy should be:
Prove you can take care of what you have now and you get more to manage!

jassmine
12-30-2017, 09:07 AM
This ill informed feel good trend off giving everything back to the descendants of original First Nations people is just virtue signalling and is bad news for wild life and future generations of hunters FN or not.

Who is doing the virtue signalling in this case??

WWBC
12-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Morning Jasmine,

My argument is that we should have more of a meritocracy here in Canada when in comes to land use rights. And that we should shore up those that do a good job.

To your point- Yes my comments are virtue signaling to a point. I have a practical and conservative option on this topic and I've expressed that. The difference is I have not nothing to gain financially or policaly on this forum.
Governments are elected and gain by presenting a popular image or option. I do not in a meaningful way.

That said:
How do you disagree with my opinion? I've been wrong before and often am so tell what I've failed to consider on this topic.

All ears

Boner
12-30-2017, 09:59 AM
I wonder if it works both ways. Would be interesting to find out.

45freezer
12-30-2017, 09:59 AM
With our modern road systems that would be a 24+ hour pack out, where can I read the stories about his ancestors that traditionally did that without horses, frame packs, rifles or modern roads :roll:

WWBC
12-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Hmmm
Some how I don't think it will work both ways....

I'd imagine the US would treat the Border issue more seriously.

jassmine
12-30-2017, 05:49 PM
That said:
How do you disagree with my opinion? I've been wrong before and often am so tell what I've failed to consider on this topic.

My initial point was inquiring as to who was doing the virtue signalling in this case.
The law is pretty clear and from my reading of it, this was a relatively easy appeal to dismiss based on the constitution.

Your characterization of reconciliation as an "ill informed feel good trend", ignores the mountains of evidence demonstrating the long term nergative effects colonialism has had on First Nation groups as well as how many modern services (health, social, education) are not properly designed to address their needs.

rocksteady
12-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Jazzy... how about tge billions of dollars that have been handed over to first nations on reservations (welfare, medical, dental, free housing, pet projects) that have been squandered away for the past 100 years???

Wneh are the books gonna be "fair and square"

rocksteady
12-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Bad spelling... on my phone

jassmine
12-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Jazzy... how about tge billions of dollars that have been handed over to first nations on reservations (welfare, medical, dental, free housing, pet projects) that have been squandered away for the past 100 years???
Wneh are the books gonna be "fair and square"

Why shouldn't they also receive social services?
Many services like education upon study, clearly demonstrate that per capita First Nations students receive much less funding than students that are not First Nation.

How has this money been squandered??

srupp
12-30-2017, 06:11 PM
Hmmm extinct..non surviving....Hmmm pretty pathetic decision when the tribe doesn't even exist..crossing international borders to harvest game and remove to USA..the judge erred....did not consider dogs breakfast he/she was disturbing..as well as ramifications down the road.
Not wrong..? Hmm beyond wrong..waaaaaaaay up there with modern rifles shooting at night..
You Jasmine are entitled to your opinion...as am I, the judge in this case..hmmm folks didn't know what BS turdeau would unleash..or current premier. .nor hunting at nite nor give 3% anything they shouted for..
The US courts would laugh a BC native presenting the same case..non Canadians..MORE RIGHTS. .than resident tax paying citizens..
Absolute bull $hyte"..not racist..
The same BC NATIVES. .would be piss ed heading home after a hard nights pit lamp ing watching this USA citizen driving south with OUR elk..wait till next year when 10,000 of his kin pour over the borders..
We DIDNT think things through 150 years ago. .and are suffering the consequences of poor judgment..now we are repeating these new "decisions"..if 100,000 found out about this new open door decision..poop would hit the rotating Ossilator"
Hopefully this hits the supreme court. .it WILL be hitting my MPS" office in early January. .
Cheers
Steven

303savage
12-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Canada’s goal of reconciliation.

Reconciliation Might be Canada's goal but at what cost?
I believe in native rights BUT I don't agree with them using white man's technology. Drove by Kamloops Lake a few years ago and there were 7 or 8 gill net boats fishing the lake.

srupp
12-30-2017, 06:18 PM
No Jaz. .you are mistaken..FREE dental..i pay..
Hmm friends who are native..FREE flight training..pilots license..Comercial license..etc
So many of the $$$$$ costs are buried and redistributed by govt" so as to not outrage the taxpayers..get serious..wasted billions
For instance suicide..now millions of taxpayer funding for hundreds of social workers because they choose to live 300 miles from anywhere..free to move to wherever..buy a home..wait they want US to buy them homes..
Steven

pg83
12-30-2017, 06:20 PM
The troll is hungry tonight. Stop feeding her.

jassmine
12-30-2017, 06:24 PM
For instance suicide..now millions of taxpayer funding for hundreds of social workers because they choose to live 300 miles from anywhere..free to move to wherever..buy a home..wait they want US to buy them homes..

First Nation people were moved from much of the rich and fertile lands where they historically inhabited, they had very little choice in lands where they were settled.
Hence the huge number of courts cases involving treaties and land claims.

Why else would they not be in the areas that have historically had the greatest diversity (ex. lower mainland or around the great lakes) or the greatest fertility tall and short grass prairie.

pg83
12-30-2017, 06:33 PM
First Nation people were moved from much of the rich and fertile lands where they historically inhabited, they had very little choice in lands where they were settled.
Hence the huge number of courts cases involving treaties and land claims.

Why else would they not be in the areas that have historically had the greatest diversity (ex. lower mainland or around the great lakes) or the greatest fertility tall and short grass prairie.

If only the whole World worked this way, how beautiful it would be. We could sit at a campfire together and I could share a hunting story with you and you wouldn't actually judge me for it...

12-30-2017, 06:34 PM
I wonder how anyone could see this as a good decision.We have now created a two tier system where one group can do as they please and the majority can only watch

gutpile
12-30-2017, 10:04 PM
We as a society have forgotten the Indians lost their land when the white man settled north America whether good or bad .
And in most cases the Indians fought each other so they were never really unified as a nation .
There comes a point where we as a nation must move forward and stop looking back .
To be fair with the natives, if they want to hang on to their traditions then they need to use their old methods of hunting if they want to maintain their
special rights . This is only fair and right to all of us .
If the Indians keep getting these special rights with todays modern tools like pit lamping with a thousand candle light power , and modern rifle' this will only
enrage many more people against them .
Our elected politians really need to hear this .

edgar11
12-31-2017, 11:39 AM
We as a society have forgotten the Indians lost their land when the white man settled north America whether good or bad .
And in most cases the Indians fought each other so they were never really unified as a nation .
There comes a point where we as a nation must move forward and stop looking back .
To be fair with the natives, if they want to hang on to their traditions then they need to use their old methods of hunting if they want to maintain their
special rights . This is only fair and right to all of us .
If the Indians keep getting these special rights with todays modern tools like pit lamping with a thousand candle light power , and modern rifle' this will only
enrage many more people against them .
Our elected politians really need to hear this .

Gutpile you are so misinformed I don't really know where to start. If we as FN people "lost their land" then why do we have so many rights as indicated in Canadian Policies? I am not denying some fighting amongst different tribes but we as Sto:lo People have always been very unified in that we still share ceremonies with every tribe in the Lower Mainland, Washington state and Vancouver Island to this day. There is no war going on and there is no teachings that I know of that supports this accusation.
The "traditions" you speak of include the use of "traditional" food in ceremony etc. and there is so much more to the "tradition" then just the act of killing the animal. We used to use nets to get deer years ago so do you expect us to bring that back too? I already see you are defiant of another "traditional" practice of pitlamping so you are already contradicting yourself. I agree with this one anyway as it is a dangerous act in this day and age.
So, as I have said many,many times before, please educate yourself a bit more before ranting on something you know very little about.

pg83
12-31-2017, 12:16 PM
The "traditions" you speak of include the use of "traditional" food in ceremony etc. and there is so much more to the "tradition" then just the act of killing the animal.

If it's not about just killing then why are First Nations using every available technological advantage?

We used to use nets to get deer years ago so do you expect us to bring that back too?

Absolutely IF you make those nets in the traditional way and head out in your traditional way with traditional weapons(knife, bow, axe.... you know, traditionally...).

I already see you are defiant of another "traditional" practice of pitlamping so you are already contradicting yourself. I agree with this one anyway as it is a dangerous act in this day and age.

Do it in the traditional way and it would be far less dangerous. No high powered rifle etc. etc.

If it is indeed not about killing, but more about tradition then why are the actions of many First Nations not supporting your claim?
You are so quick to throw "tradition" around, but your actions suggest something completely different. That is what many people have issue with

WWBC
12-31-2017, 01:33 PM
My initial point was inquiring as to who was doing the virtue signalling in this case.
The law is pretty clear and from my reading of it, this was a relatively easy appeal to dismiss based on the constitution.

Your characterization of reconciliation as an "ill informed feel good trend", ignores the mountains of evidence demonstrating the long term nergative effects colonialism has had on First Nation groups as well as how many modern services (health, social, education) are not properly designed to address their needs.

I'll back up my statement about Ill informed trend.
much of the "reconciliation" going on now seem to do little to help First Nations People. It seems to me to be more of a feel good benefit for non-First Nations people well distanced from the issues FN people face.

It seems victim hood is trendy right now and I can tell you that most of the FN people I've worked alongside or for don't feel or act like victims. Nor did they ask to be treated like victims I'm sure. But that seems to be the Canadian way. The sadest story wins.

A person- FN or not that busts balls to do well for his people or family gets little help or recognition. Wile that sad story about an "extinct" tribe rises to the top.

Moose63
12-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Wrote my disapproval to my MLA.