PDA

View Full Version : Wolf hunting tips

browningboy
12-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Headed to Basspro to grab a foxpro with the tail wagger, have a 243 winmag and headed up to the cabin this weekend, now never went after wolves, so first hoping the roads are plowed up the chasm but once I get to the clear cuts where I’ve seen lots of sign, where do you place the call? In the middle, close to tree line or? Just looking for any helpful tips, cheers!

igojuone
12-27-2017, 09:38 AM
From what I've read one technique is once you spot them is to try and guess where they are headed and cut them off.
I drive a ton off-road in the Peace region with my job and rarely see them but I know they're there, one driver chased a couple up a road a couple weeks ago but haven't heard of any other drivers seeing them lately.

12-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Try getting a carcass off a cattle farmer, or road kill moose or deer from a CO ...... Bait and bang.

browningboy
12-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Alright sounds like what I thought, hope and a prayer! Lol picked up a fox pro, was 130 off regular price so here’s hoping it answers my prayer!

igojuone
12-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Try getting a carcass off a cattle farmer, or road kill moose or deer from a CO ...... Bait and bang.

Buddy of mine would do that, auger a hole in the ice and freeze in a hind quarter popsicle in the middle of a pond or lake so the wolves couldn't drag it away and they would have a clear shot.

You can try howling as well.

igojuone
12-27-2017, 05:15 PM
I was going to suggest Wolftracker.ca but looks like site is now down.

stinkyduck
12-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Normally you don't see them as much as hear them or see tracks.

12-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Buddy of mine would do that, auger a hole in the ice and freeze in a hind quarter popsicle in the middle of a pond or lake so the wolves couldn't drag it away and they would have a clear sho.

I like this idea, plus getting some distance but clear shooting lanes, likely 200 yards or further away from bait ....... Use of a blind, placed prior, log piles, trees for good cover? I would think same as any thing, daylight and dusk best ....... And at all cost approach with the wind always in your favour. Motionless and dead quiet.