PDA

View Full Version : August Snowstorm

dana
12-27-2017, 08:47 AM
I found this grizzly feeding in an August snowstorm above the Arctic Circle a few years ago. I tried to take some long distance shots but the camera kept focusing on the big snowflakes instead of the bear. I worked the wind and terrain to my favour and crawled to within 70 metres where I was able to capture some quick snaps and then backed out without the bear even having a clue I was there. Was a very memorable experience that I will never forget.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Wildlife%20Pics/image_zpsa5axirld.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/Wildlife%20Pics/image_zpsa5axirld.jpeg.html)

blaine
12-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Awesome, Great photo.

kennyj
12-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Thats an amazing photo! Very cool critters.
kenny

ydouask
12-27-2017, 01:21 PM
I always enjoy looking at your photos... even if I do think keen interest sometimes overcomes concern for self-preservation. Been there too just didn't have a camera!

bigredchev
12-27-2017, 01:30 PM
I can't see the pics?

12-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Great photo! That's a big grizzly for that part of the world I think

pg83
12-27-2017, 02:19 PM
Those tundra Grizz are something else. I miss being up in that part of the world. Thanks for the share.

kodeman
12-27-2017, 02:41 PM
awesome photo!!! thanks for posting

dana
12-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Seems photobucket must be down. Just goes to show why there aren't many that share photos on an archaic web design. Hahaha

rocksteady
12-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Are you not afraid of someone scooping your pic and selling it? I know there have been cases of that with cat hunters..

I think you can put a watermark on them to copyright them

HappyJack
12-27-2017, 04:22 PM
No pic?? Weird.....

Johnny G1
12-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Looks like the same bear we seen this past summer in the Yukon??

dana
12-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Looks like the same bear we seen this past summer in the Yukon??

you can see the photo? Cool, I can't. Hahaha.

gcreek
12-27-2017, 06:04 PM
I can see it.

I thought by the title you were here two years ago for coffee and I wasn't home.

dana
12-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Are you not afraid of someone scooping your pic and selling it? I know there have been cases of that with cat hunters..

I think you can put a watermark on them to copyright them

My photos are all resized and would look like garbage if someone copied them and tried to sell them. I'm not too concerned. In internet law, regardless of watermark, I am still the rightful owner of my images. If someone uses them without permission, I could go after them legally. I've only had to threaten that once recently, with a company that was trying to make money off an elk fight video of mine that had gone viral. It didn't actually bother me that they were using it. What bothered me is they refused to give me the credit for my own video. They took it down rather quickly when legal action was brought up.

REMINGTON JIM
12-27-2017, 06:29 PM
I found this grizzly feeding in an August snowstorm above the Arctic Circle a few years ago. I tried to take some long distance shots but the camera kept focusing on the big snowflakes instead of the bear. I worked the wind and terrain to my favour and crawled to within 70 metres where I was able to capture some quick snaps and then backed out without the bear even having a clue I was there. Was a very memorable experience that I will never forget.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Wildlife%20Pics/image_zpsa5axirld.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/Wildlife%20Pics/image_zpsa5axirld.jpeg.html)

Now I Got 2 BEARS to shoot ! ;-) Nice Photos ! RJ

Husky7mm
12-27-2017, 07:13 PM
I see no bear. What Photobucket pkg do you have to buy to post from a mobile device?

Blainer
12-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Fantastic capture

dana
12-27-2017, 07:40 PM
I see no bear. What Photobucket pkg do you have to buy to post from a mobile device?

Obviously the package I don't have. Hahaha. I haven't used photobucket for a few years. Just tried it again this week. Funny how some can see it and some can not. When I posted I could see it. But I can't see it now. Looks like maybe Photobucket moved to a pay system instead of free?

steepNdeep
12-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Cool shot!!

HappyJack
12-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Obviously the package I don't have. Hahaha. I haven't used photobucket for a few years. Just tried it again this week. Funny how some can see it and some can not. When I posted I could see it. But I can't see it now. Looks like maybe Photobucket moved to a pay system instead of free?

Yes, they want like $360 per year, or maybe it was $390....anyways they are off their meds for sure.

twoSevenO
12-27-2017, 09:02 PM
I saw one about as close as that in Reg 3. It was a collared bear found in the alpine south of Lillooet ;)
It was a very memorable experience to watch this bear continue across this large alpine bowl stopping to try and dig out a marmot a couple of times.
A member on here forwarded the pics to a local biologist and she confirmed it was a sow named Georgia that had been collared in Gott Creek area a few years ago. The bear is 11 or 12 years old.

Here's the original thread with a couple more pictures:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?130632-collared-grizz-in-Reg-3-pics

http://imgur.com/fua6Saq.jpg

Husky7mm
12-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Yes, i paid a small price to go add free last year and it seemed to work again for posting but I guess the year is up. Now the packages are much higher and its not clear which one will allow what is needed to post here.

dana
12-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Yes, i paid a small price to go add free last year and it seemed to work again for posting but I guess the year is up. Now the packages are much higher and its not clear which one will allow what is needed to post here.

Seems to be the trend. Give it away for free for years and then make you pay through the nose later if you want keep using it. Pretty much what Avenza did to mapping as well.

This morning I can see the image I posted. Don't know how long that will last.

dana
12-28-2017, 09:51 AM
I saw one about as close as that in Reg 3. It was a collared bear found in the alpine south of Lillooet ;)
It was a very memorable experience to watch this bear continue across this large alpine bowl stopping to try and dig out a marmot a couple of times.
A member on here forwarded the pics to a local biologist and she confirmed it was a sow named Georgia that had been collared in Gott Creek area a few years ago. The bear is 11 or 12 years old.

Here's the original thread with a couple more pictures:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?130632-collared-grizz-in-Reg-3-pics

http://imgur.com/fua6Saq.jpg
Great looking bear and cool story as well! A couple years ago I had a sow grizzly and yearling cub less than 2 km from my house. Not your typical grizzly habitat. Was pretty neat to be able to photograph them.

twoSevenO
12-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Great looking bear and cool story as well! A couple years ago I had a sow grizzly and yearling cub less than 2 km from my house. Not your typical grizzly habitat. Was pretty neat to be able to photograph them.

What's your photography equipment these days? I follow you on instagram now and see you've been working on your photography skills ;)

I've been using a Nikon D5100 and 55-300mm lens. Its ok in good light, but if the light sucks and you have to increase shutter speed to eliminate movement blurr it sucks.

dana
12-28-2017, 05:19 PM
What's your photography equipment these days? I follow you on instagram now and see you've been working on your photography skills ;)

I've been using a Nikon D5100 and 55-300mm lens. Its ok in good light, but if the light sucks and you have to increase shutter speed to eliminate movement blurr it sucks.

I been mainly using a Nikon Coolpix the last few years. Nothing special. Takes decent enough photos for what I do.

Bugle M In
12-28-2017, 05:34 PM
I was going to ask what cameras were in use.
I did have a Nikon aw120, water proof and 1080p.
Small and handy for sure.
Found a sony hx50 with 30x optical zoom (700mm equivalent) on craiglist for cheap.
Sure like it, as it is compact, and the zoom really helps at times.
Carrying a a6500 with a 70-200 lens is too much when packing a rifle, but damn, it
takes good pics.
Now just waiting for a used a7r2 to come down to a reasonable price to get into full frame.
All good cameras now, canon, nikon, sony, and the focusing on all of them are great.
Canon and Nikon are better if you want used lenses at cheaper prices and more abundant in general.
Anyways, nice photo of the bear.

twoSevenO
12-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Full frame is more than I ever want to spend on a camera so I don't even look.

Point and shoot are great and 99% of the time I pack that along because it's small and takes Good photos and still has a decent zoom (10x optical)

However as mentioned by Dana in the very first post the focus can be a huge issue. With a dslr you can just switch to manual focus quickly and focus on the bear and not the snowflakes that are confusing the camera.

The ability to change the shutter speed or aperture quickly is also a huge bonus for animals that move and might be gone in a second or two.

Of course the downside is a DSLR is significantly heavier and much less weather resistant. I don't bring it on backpack hunts. Too much other stuff to carry as is.

Bugle M In
12-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Point and shoot are great and 99% of the time I pack that along because it's small and takes Good photos and still has a decent zoom (10x optical)

However as mentioned by Dana in the very first post the focus can be a huge issue. With a dslr you can just switch to manual focus quickly and focus on the bear and not the snowflakes that are confusing the camera.

The ability to change the shutter speed or aperture quickly is also a huge bonus for animals that move and might be gone in a second or two.

Of course the downside is a DSLR is significantly heavier and much less weather resistant. I don't bring it on backpack hunts. Too much other stuff to carry as is.

Hoping that if my daughter chooses not to pick up the rifle, that she still wants to come along as she gets older, and wants to pack the heavier camera gear....;-)

dana
12-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Yup, I am in constant battle with the auto focus. Light gathering is very poor as is the speed. Many critters get away without a single photo whereas a good camera would have at least a few images. Up side, cheap and light and fits in the pack or cruisers vest easily. i treat it like crap and it seems to take a good beating. If it dies, i don't have to remortgage the house to replace it. Hahaha. One day, i'll get a real camera but until then, these little cameras will do.

twoSevenO
12-28-2017, 08:16 PM
I've been using my Panasonic point to and shoot since 2008. Almost all the lettering on it is worn out now. I'm quite surprised it continues to work so well after so many years.