PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some ideas. Wolf/coyote hunt.

cz858
12-26-2017, 08:54 PM
So me and my brother in law are looking to get out on a predator hunt this winter. I'm just looking for some ideas on where might be a good place to go. I would like to find a place that is having issues with over abundance of predators. Finding a place that had a bit more open country seems to be our best bet but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sean.

Jagermeister
12-26-2017, 11:59 PM
It depends on how far you want to travel and how long you plan on staying.
Looking at your location, day trips would not really 'cut it, especially into the interior like Merritt/Kamloops/Barriere. Even a weekend would be questionable.
You might find the odd rancher desperately interested so perhaps a phone call to the BC Cattlemen's Assoc would be in the right direction.
And then what do you do with the carcass should you be so lucky to topple one or two. Better make a call the the BC Trappers Assoc. to see if someone would be interested in take them off your hands.
And speaking of hands, your better bone up on hydatid disease in wolves and the prevention in humans.
After that you're good to go.

twoSevenO
12-27-2017, 12:11 AM
You can head up to Tunkwa Lk area, stay in a cabin for a couple of days and hunt the fields from there down to Savona. There are coyotes around. Day trips are not reallly feasible with the short winter days.

Of course, you could try Reg 2 local coyote hunting, but i haven't seen a coyote while out hunting reg 2 in god knows how long lol.

cz858
12-27-2017, 09:21 AM
We would be making it a 3day or so trip. Thanks for the info jager I never thought to contact something like a cattlemens association. And I was also unaware of this disease. I will do some research and then contact the association and see if anyone is looking for someone.
Cheers.
Sean.

cz858
12-27-2017, 09:26 AM
I will look in to tunkwa lk. I do like the terrain and climate there. I did do a good amount of coyote hunting in ashcroft with reasonable success but I don't have that access I used to.

Jagermeister
12-27-2017, 11:25 PM
You have a FoxPro, right? Okay, now go find a realistic looking howling wolf 3-D archery target. Find a frozen lake,(not too big, 3/4 km ) with a bend in the middle and standing timber along shore line. Set your archery target and FoxPro up close to each other on the outside bend so you get a good view up and down the lake. Fix up your cover/blind and let it rip. If you are shooting 223 limit yourself to 300 meter shots, 22-250, 243, 25.06, 6.5 will step you out a ways further. 7RM will lay them down, but the exit hole might be big.
If you haven't been following this thread, you might want to as it has some good advice.