PDA

View Full Version : What boot to buy

wickit
08-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I am in need of new boots.The last few years I have been wearing my work boots.Time to up grade. There are so many different brands and styels. Any boots to stay away from.I am think about spending around the 200 doller mark.

todbartell
08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Id try to spend at least $300

slowkey
08-14-2007, 11:40 AM
elkstalkers from redwing shoes are great bought 2 years ago and my feet are toasty warm

bighornbob
08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
What type of hunting are you planning on doing, where when etc. I actually use three pairs of boots. One pair is strickly for sheep, elk, goat etc, good support built tough. I have another cheap pair that I use for early september when its dry and your hiking clearcuts etc. Then I have another pair of a more winter boot when hiking in snow or sitting in a tree stand when its below zero degrees.

BHB

Chuck
08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
I might be way off in left field but I'm of the opinion that the boot manufacturers, in an attempt to remain competative, continue to "cheap out" on their quality in order for their product to remain "affordable". It's difficult for the buyer to determine if 2 - 3 or 400 hundred dollars is giving him a step-up in quality, as most of the modern boots today are manufactured in the same way with the same materials. The only exception I can see is a top quality, hand made boot which is priced out of the range of most people and is therefore hard to find. I'm sure that real great boots are made somewhere, perhaps Europe, but aren't marketed here. Feedback and advice to the question is helpful in choosing, but I wish we had more variety in choice and an honest reflection of quality in the price. I can't honestly answer this question because I'm still looking for the answer myself.

MB_Boy
08-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Wickit....you are going to get all sorts of varied opinions as everyone's foot and needs are going to be different. Kind of like asking "which gun should I use to hunt most game in BC?".

Do a search through the forums as there have been a number of threads about this exact topic that go on and on and on and on about different brands etc.

I would agree with Bartell though and spend a few more $$$ as these are pretty much going to make or break your hunt (from a comfort perspective) if you are doing much hiking. But as BHB stated....take a look at what type of hunting and time of year you are predominantly looking for.

As Chuck said......yes I think with all sorts of manufacturing you are seeing companies cut corners and if you look through the forums you will see examples of why.

Just use the search function near the top of the page and type in "boots" and I am sure you will find plenty of info.

Wild Will
08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I did not find much selection in good gortex boots in Kamloops. I had worn out some of the common ones like Browning, and although they were waterproof, I was not very impressed with the rest of their quality. I happened on a website called the Working Mans Store where I got a great pair of boots under $250. They even paid a good portion of the shipping. The boots I got were Wolverine, with gortex and thinsulate. I have used them hard for several years and they look like they are good for several more. The staff tries to treat you like you were in the store with emails etc.

BlacktailStalker
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Meindl boots.
Salomon makes pretty damn good boots too. I have both.

wsm
08-14-2007, 10:18 PM
irish setters are goodit's what i use, my dad swear by danners, and a friend by meindl. try therm all on choose the one in your $ range that you like most.

Steeleco
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Another vote for Irish setters, the ones I'm still wearing were close to $300 a few years back, but now the "Vibram" sole copyright is lifted they are much cheaper. They felt like slippers the moment I put them on, and I've NEVER had a blister!!

pupper
08-14-2007, 10:29 PM
for $200 buck range you might be able to find a danner boot. Extremely confortable, durable and great in water.

Justin

wickit
08-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Thank-you everyone. I now have different names and styles to start my selection. I'll keep you posted.

propfwd
08-24-2007, 04:04 PM
The best boots I have used are a pair of Sorel all leather with goretex high top hunting boots that I have worn for the past 10 years sadly they don't make them anymore because it is like putting on a pair of sold comfortable slippers when I wear them they get oiled once a year and a new set of insoles each season and are still going strong, Not cheap though they were $400.00 in 95-96 when I bought them but the Danner Canadains look very similar and the more expensive Danners are still made in the States. Just my 2 cents.

GoatGuy
08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
For that price range 1) Scarpa 2) Danner

bsa30-06
08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Another vote for Irish setters, the ones I'm still wearing were close to $300 a few years back, but now the "Vibram" sole copyright is lifted they are much cheaper. They felt like slippers the moment I put them on, and I've NEVER had a blister!!

I agree with steeleco.I have a pair of irish setters and my feet are warm and dry.They said they were water proof so the first thing i did was stand in a ankle deep creek for a few minutes........ they were right.

tooty
08-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I use irish setters for my heavy boot,snow,steep crap.Rocky 9" rangers for my early all around boot.Check out Cabelas and Bas pro for specials sometime they blow good boots out real cheap.I payed a 100 bucks for my rockies 400gr thinsulate,goretex.That was tax,shipping everything.Wore them most of all last season because they worked.

GoatGuy
08-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with steeleco.I have a pair of irish setters and my feet are warm and dry.They said they were water proof so the first thing i did was stand in a ankle deep creek for a few minutes........ they were right.

I must have gotten the bad ones. Walked out of the first pair on a 3 week hunting trip. Second pair started to leak after a month of spring bear hunting. First pair went straight to the garbage - the other pair I wear in late season as backups cause I don't have to worry about leas then. Buddies that I hunt with have had the same problems.

Also walked out of the soles on a pair of danner's.

Scarpas have always lasted me an entire hunting season or more - the pair I've got right now I bought last August. They're starting to peel away where the sole and boot meet but they're still waterproof and the support's still there.

Clint_S
08-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I work in the bush and honestly only get 2 years out of a pair of boots. I've tried Scarpa, Vasque and Asolo mostly. My last pair of Asolo's I got 4 1/2 years out of and now won't even look at another brand. Get an all leather gore tex ($250-$300) and you wont go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Asolo-TPS-U-S-Brown/dp/B0002M5UY2/ref=sr_1_15/103-6595785-2331057?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1188051894&sr=1-15

Dominic Cicuto
08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Me and my dad use Rocky's there a great boot but a little on the expensive side.

.308win
08-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I got some great help here on this topic awhile ago! Nobody lead me down the wrong road. If you can afford ~$300, here is my sugestion:
http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/239

Got these at Vallhala in Kamloops for $299.00. Just my .02!!

Perry

quadrakid
08-25-2007, 03:15 PM
i,ve been following this thread as i,m in need of new boots as well,my last boots were all leather garmonts and they did me well. i usually buy a pretty stiff european boot but thought i,d check out irish setters in town today. thay looked great and all but i just can,t see myself buying a boot for three hundred plus that is made in china. maybe in a few years when somebody successfully translates the words QUALITY CONTROL

Gunner
08-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Meindl's for steep and rocky country,and the Schnee Sportsman Pac-boot for cold wet and snow. Gunner

quadrakid
08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
changed my mind and bought a pair of irish setters today, feel real comfy and should keep feet warm and dry moose hunting this year and i can buy some miendles next year for elk hunting. screwed up and missed taking off one price tag today before showing the bettter half my new boots, made them even more expensive!

Beaverhunter
08-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Mark's Work Warehouse in Maple Ridge has Irish Setter's on sale for $109 I paid 220 a year ago you will not buy a better boot for that price. So if that is in your area I would definately get a pair I may even go buy another pair best boots I have ever owned by far.

brodieman
08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a pair of Vibergs, great boots, made in Victoria. They were just shy of 400$. I use them for hunting, dirtbiking and pole climbing.

http://www.viberg.com/safetyboots/csa151xvibram/default.htm

johnes50
08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I just bought a pair of Merrell Thermo Pathfinder boots for $119.00 They hvae them at Cabela's on sale for $89.00

I have a very difficult time finding comfortable boots, and have bought and thrown out lots of different brands of boots. I wasn't looking for a pair of boots, but I tried these on for a fluke and they felt like someone had already broken them in for me.

They have a Polartec lining and are 100% waterproof with a sealed tongue and are good to -15. All the insulation makes them very soft and comfortable on the feet. They also have a Vibram sole with an aggressive pattern on the bottom that gripped well when I went for a hike. They also are very light weight and weigh only 2.5 lbs. for the pair.

Here's a link to Cabelas if your interested. The customer reviews were all good.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=DOOI1BTYO1VYOCWQNWQSCNYK0BW0GI WE?id=0044667830867a&navCount=0&podId=0044667&parentId=cat601023&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=null-cat601023&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601023&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=merrell%20pathfinder%20boots&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true&_requestid=85331

Woodrow
08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I bought a pair of rocky boots; they feal like silk when I where them but they have stretched so bad now I think there a size to big, they cost me 160 bucks.

one-shot-wonder
08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I work in the bush and honestly only get 2 years out of a pair of boots. I've tried Scarpa, Vasque and Asolo mostly. My last pair of Asolo's I got 4 1/2 years out of and now won't even look at another brand. Get an all leather gore tex ($250-$300) and you wont go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Asolo-TPS-U-S-Brown/dp/B0002M5UY2/ref=sr_1_15/103-6595785-2331057?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1188051894&sr=1-15

I have owned 4 pairs of Asolo boots including this pair Clint is talking about. I have been very impressed with the Quality of these European boots. Waterproof, comfortable and very light. I think they are hard to beat for the price.
I am curious to try a pair of Mendel's but can't bring myself to shell out that kind of money ......maybe if Asolo goes out of business one day....don't bet on it!:wink:

rock
08-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I own 4 pairs of boots for hunting in which the soles are different for terrains soft and hard as for price 200 and up can due it pending on your preference. Time of year hunting means a big part in my boot selection.

Beverly
08-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Try finding ANY decent hunting boot in woman size 5 1/2 lol....sucks to be me!

I dunno zip about this business http://www.workboot.com/ but they are Victoria based and have some nice looking boots :)

moose55
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
red wing shoes in langley .has irish setters on sale i believe $ 239.00 + taxes.

troutseeker
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I just bought a pair of Lowa Baffin. They call them backpacking boots but hte sole is stiff enough for some climbs and the yare calf height. No goretex, but good care will make up for that. Soft leather lining and a very comfy boot. Bought them at Altus in Vancouver, were $440 ,reduced to $367 then take 25% off, good deal!

Troutseeker