PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail of a lifetime

~T-BONE~
12-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Back in 99 I was headed in to an area that had peaked some interest in seasons past. Riding a borrowed 2 stroke 250 I hit snow and was in power band skipping up through the ever increasing snow depth. I come out of the draw and the bike bogs down in snow that’s too deep. I look back over my shoulder in to the open clearing hear comes a doe fast with a GIANT 4x4 tailing her. I must have bumped them out of the draw into the only visible part of the hillside. There was 2ft of of snow and of course it was pissing rain. This was going to be a 400+ yard shot that I wasn't comfortable shooting at. So running up to the switch back trying to get a better shot the distance never shortened up. I tried my rattling antlers to slow him up to no avail, he had enough they were outta there. My only option was to drop down and up the draw which was easily as deep as the distance was between us. My plan of attack was to get up wind of their last tracks (hoping that was the only sign) and to follow where they disappeared over the top of the ridge. As I climbed up in record time I cut their tracks and kept myself downwind. I could see where they went into the timber and crept inside 50 yards. Keeping myself hidden, I tickled my "two point" rattling antlers anticipating they had not gotten be much farther. To my surprise nearly before I finished rattling he was staring down in my direction immediately! I Raised my gun and he disappeared. *$#@! So I Tickled them again and he was back out instantly!!! Again not ready he was back in before my rifle was shouldered. $&#@*&$#@@#! Now I was getting that sinking feeling he’d book it over the mountain down in to the middle of no where. So I prayed a bit though I’m not a religious guy and tickled those pickle forks lightly put them down and raised the gun. There he was!!! Gun up! Double throat patch met croosshairs, BANG! The 30 odd flipped him over backwards at 50yards against a giant fur! What a shock I had walking up to this guy. Is he bigger then my ol’mans 150”ers? I sat there for 20 minutes just soaking up the accomplishment I had made, which is now an addiction lol! Now the fun begins.....
i gutted the beast and started dragging him down side hill to where I’d come from to no avail. I ended up bucking him in half dragging each half 50 yards and going back for the other. Now it’s getting dark I’m near the bike have no headlight, lamp, nothing! No problem, I’ll just stash the front half in the creek and take the hinds out whole in my pack. Once at the bike I geared up dug the bike out spun it around and down hill I went. I hit the first cross ditch and snap! I break the chain.. GREAT! So I coast onward after picking up my spare parts realizing I can only go so far as there is three washouts that required a big hill climb on either side that there was no way I’m pushing this bike up with ease. So I ended up ditching the pack and bike. Now dark I start my trek out hoping to return early in the a.m. i get get back to the truck 2 hrs later I notice a note and a message on my phone left by a cop that thought my rig was stolen lol.. anyhow a borrowed bike that only got me the first slide and a full day had my deer back to the truck. Because I had no help I had to take a work day off and hike back in with a new master link to retrieve the bike. I’m very pleased with the events leading up too and trailing this hunt which to me will always be memorable into my old age Looking at the mount on the wall.
I later found out that he would be a contender to be the biggest blacktail in BC! Later was scored at 160 1/8 and today is still the second biggest recorded in the BC BOOK.

http://i.imgur.com/3wt3SWW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CdeT4Xq.jpg

HarryToolips
12-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Gorgeous BT!! Congrats!

77Gunner
12-24-2017, 12:17 PM
man that is an awesome buck thanks for posting.

Rattler
12-24-2017, 12:29 PM
One hell of a blacktail! Thanks for sharing...

Wondered what that buck scored...

pg83
12-24-2017, 12:31 PM
What a cranker! Thanks for sharing

tayleoscar
12-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Wow! Great blacktail!!

Weatherby Fan
12-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Yowsa thats a cranker, thanks for sharing pictures and story

Who said there's no hunting stories on HBC !

IronNoggin
12-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Hell of a Buck, and you're right, that's one for the Lifetime Accomplishment List! :shock:

Don't think you'll ever top him, but hey, it is a hell of a lot of fun trying eh? :wink:

Thanks for the post!
Made my morning!

Cheers,
Nog

dana
12-24-2017, 12:48 PM
I remember you sharing that buck years ago. Great story and even greater buck!!!

twoSevenO
12-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Incredible blacktail .... well, the fact that it is STILL #2 in BC speaks for itself.

Congrats on an amazing buck. Most of us can only dream of finding a spot that holds bucks of this caliber.

Just wow

twoSevenO
12-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Also, how has that area been for you since? I know Ourea has had some areas completely dry up that once held some trophy mule deer. Has your spot continued to produce decent bucks or not?

~T-BONE~
12-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Also, how has that area been for you since? I know Ourea has had some areas completely dry up that once held some trophy mule deer. Has your spot continued to produce decent bucks or not?

To be completely honest access had become so hard I’ve not been back. Back then it was a struggle. There’s been lots of cheap talk of threatining to go, but.... honestly would be a near full day into this area on my hands and knees by rd. Need to get thru old growth somehow one day. But we see
I believe there is one tied with me now for second place. Not sure if it was entered. I’ll look for that pic.

caddisguy
12-24-2017, 02:01 PM
My life goal is to have a BT story like this

twoSevenO
12-24-2017, 06:18 PM
To be completely honest access had become so hard I’ve not been back. Back then it was a struggle. There’s been lots of cheap talk of threatining to go, but.... honestly would be a near full day into this area on my hands and knees by rd. Need to get thru old growth somehow one day. But we see
I believe there is one tied with me now for second place. Not sure if it was entered. I’ll look for that pic.

Well if a hardcore BT hunter like you finds it that difficult then it's pretty much remained untouched.

Would be cool to know if the deer are still there and in same numbers and quality.

I've shot my 2 this season in southern reg2 and while the access is not easy there's something to be said about hunting with no crowds and only 1hr drive away. I'll be doing more of it next season for sure.

~T-BONE~
12-24-2017, 06:33 PM
What did you wack?

twoSevenO
12-24-2017, 07:07 PM
What did you wack?

Are couple of fun, but not trophy grade blacktails. ;)

Husky7mm
12-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Right on TBone, love that buck, great story. The challenges make success all the more sweet.

12-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Very nice BT. Congrats wow.

Reminds me me if the whoppers pops used to bring home from West Harrison in the 60s .... They shot several like this well not quite number two's back then. LOL . Last two weeks of the season ...... Dandys.

brownmancheng
12-24-2017, 08:18 PM
wow unbelievable!
thanks for sharing

GrandA
12-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Monster hog congratz

quadrakid
12-24-2017, 09:13 PM
What dreams are made of.

Blainer
12-24-2017, 09:13 PM
Hell of a Buck! TFS

glennw89
12-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Fantastic buck and a great story. The rigours of the hunt are often what make it most memorable.

kennyj
12-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing.
kenny

180grainer
12-24-2017, 11:01 PM
That is a really nice BT.

~T-BONE~
12-24-2017, 11:21 PM
Very nice BT. Congrats wow.

Reminds me me if the whoppers pops used to bring home from West Harrison in the 60s .... They shot several like this well not quite number two's back then. LOL . Last two weeks of the season ...... Dandys.
Would love to see some old photos if you have them.?

Thunderstix
12-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Wow what a hog,!!

twoSevenO
12-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Would love to see some old photos if you have them.?

X2 ... vintage pics from the "good ol days" should be a new thread!!!!

I love seeing pics of dudes in their old school hunting clothes :)

Citori54
12-25-2017, 10:02 AM
That really is a buck of a lifetime.......beauty. Congratulations. I too like the old school hunting clothes. My hunting partners laugh that in our old age we have all the fancy camo clothes and electronic gadgets but we were probably the most successful in our blue jeans, Stanfields, crappy $100 Bushnell binos and low tech hunting boots:razz:. Thanks for sharing a great buck and story.

~T-BONE~
12-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Some ol’school clothes Merry Xmas!
http://i.imgur.com/5y1GLRr.jpg

Harvest the Land
12-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Simply amazing buck and story. Always love hearing the hardcore work that often has to take place in in the middle of the night, especially when solo. Thanks for sharing!

DeerForce
12-25-2017, 11:06 AM
That's one Monster buck and what a great story. It goes to show you, you never know what your going to run into out there.

eagle eye
12-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Awsome buck,thanks for sharing

Sitkaspruce
12-25-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks T-bone, pretty cool to see old stories and pictures.

And to see that buck again is amazing!! Thank you!!

Cheers

SS

BUCKJR
12-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Always a great buck to see! You've amassed quite the collection of impressive bucks!

OceanMon
12-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Thanks for sharing!

northof49
12-29-2017, 11:48 PM
What an incredible bt T-bone....thx for sharing all the details

12-30-2017, 10:03 AM
That is a hell of a thing ti be able to say..."BC Book #2"
Thoes animals all seem to be reserved fir the guys in th 20"s to 70's!!

Knute
12-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Beauty of a buck!

twoSevenO
10-25-2018, 09:22 AM
bump .... pouring rain out there ... second half of October .... who else is ready to head out and "tickle" their forks? lol

If this don't motivate folks you might wanna take up knitting or something instead!!!!

:D

SaintSix
10-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Great Blacktail for sure, i dont even think ive seen a town buck get that big!

caddisguy
10-26-2018, 05:28 PM
bump .... pouring rain out there ... second half of October .... who else is ready to head out and "tickle" their forks? lol

If this don't motivate folks you might wanna take up knitting or something instead!!!!

:D

Heading out tonight. I'll be sitting in some thick crap with my rattle set first light.

northof49
10-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Glad this came back to the top again. What a fantastic buck....cracks me up thinking about dancing around on that powerband in snow and rain with a rifle and pack in the back....on the edge. LOL. Enjoyed reading it again T-bone. Hell of a buck.....one can only dream.