PDA

View Full Version : Peace region 7B mule deer & whitetail dates

reach
08-14-2007, 09:19 AM
I checked the government web site today and the dates for deer seasons in 7B have been published/updated.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0708/docs/CorrectionsPoster.pdf

wetcoasthunter
08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
ya, I saw that. August 24th I'm heading up that way, counting the minutes.

wickit
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Already watching a couple of bucks in my alalfa field.

talver
08-14-2007, 12:41 PM
im assuming its 3 or better in nov.

dana
08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
So aside from extending the season by 10 days from Nov 20 to Nov 30, and bumping up the baglimit on does from 1 to 2, not much different from last year. What ever happened to the idea of openings to match those of moose and elk? Much to do about nothing? :wink:

mark
08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Well I see one major change there, a antlerless season while the moose and elk hunters are there, OK within 2000 meters of private land, thats not hard to accomplish. I hunt 7-32 for the first 2 weeks of sept every year, for me this sucks in 2 ways. 1, I can shoot a mulie doe, but not one of the huge bucks we see every year??? :mad:. 2, the game cooler/butchers are already too busy and full as it is without most guys bringing in does. (and its not hard to find one)

Kechika
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
3 point season??Is this going to hurt the trophy buck population.Thats one of the few areas with truely awsome bucks,one of the reasons..4 point or better.The ministry has dropped the ball yet again.I can just see it now 1&2 year old 3 points that have the genes getting slaughtered before they reach their potential

willy442
08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
A 3 point season is something we've wanted here for a long time now. There are some huge 3 point deer around that are passing on thier genetics and producing more deer that will never make 4 pointers. Hope every one don't just blast every three point though or it could be a screw up.

Kechika
08-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Ive seen some 3 point monsters,but the average joe meat hunter aint going to know.Whats with complusory inspection being no longer??What control do they have over the 1 in 2 rule??

dana
08-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Didn't they drop the 1 in 2 rule? Didn't double check to see that is the case but that was sure being promoted on here as 'happening' this year.
As for the 3 point rule, I don't see it as being much different from the 4 point rule. Meat hunters whack the young 4 points, at least they now will have a choice to whack a 3 point that probably ain't gonna grow into much anyways. A point count is still a point count. For the impulse hunter or the older hunter, they still are going to have a difficult time with it.

ianwuzhere
08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
i think they have done a good job and am happy with their changes!!hunting seasons comin fast!!!

dana
08-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Mark,
I guess you'll have to take up bowhunting if you wanna whack one of those monsters you see while moose hunting eh? At least the bowhunters won't be complaining that the rifle hunter's stole their season. :)

Curious as to the outcome of the census post the so-called worst winter ever. Was it as bad as some were saying and the new bio had to pull the reins in on his new policies.

recurvehunter
08-14-2007, 07:14 PM
that winter was hard on animals- i do not see as near as many deer as there was last year
and there are a lot of dry cows out there this year- aborted due to tough year?

willy442
08-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Mark,
I guess you'll have to take up bowhunting if you wanna whack one of those monsters you see while moose hunting eh? At least the bowhunters won't be complaining that the rifle hunter's stole their season. :)

Curious as to the outcome of the census post the so-called worst winter ever. Was it as bad as some were saying and the new bio had to pull the reins in on his new policies.

Numbers are way down and are sure to drop further as the Moose, Deer and Elk have very few young ones with them. Travelling to work in the early morning, I'm lucky to see a couple of Deer and the same trip last year I would see 20-30 on an average day. I don't think it was our worst winter ever but it was bad and tough on the game.

GoatGuy
08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
So aside from extending the season by 10 days from Nov 20 to Nov 30, and bumping up the baglimit on does from 1 to 2, not much different from last year. What ever happened to the idea of openings to match those of moose and elk? Much to do about nothing? :wink:

Don't get everything you want for christmas!:razz: A cow elk season, 2 muley doe season, dropping the 1 in 2 on muleys, 3 pt muley season, extending the deer season and dropping the 1 in 3 on sheep is a half decent start!

dana
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Well I have to say I'm impressed. The idea of taking out 50% of the muley population from a herd that was hit hard by this past winter did not sit well with me. What I see looks good. Just hope we don't see the hairbrained Feb and March starving deer and elk hunts again.

bwhnter
08-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Actually it wasn't the Biologist decsion to try and harvest 50% of the mule deer population that was the brain child of the "higher ups".

talver
08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
BWHNTER how is it up there for game populations, moose and elk? after last years winter and now the august kill off ?

Kechika
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Dana..Its still one in two

ARC
08-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Dana..Its still one in two

Are you sure about that? If you look at the link to the Government site found in this thread, it states "The bag limit for mule deer bucks is one", and its highlighted. To me that says they changed it to 1 every year.

Kechika
08-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Are you sure about that? If you look at the link to the Government site found in this thread, it states "The bag limit for mule deer bucks is one", and its highlighted. To me that says they changed it to 1 every year.
Read the Reginal Bag limit

ARC
08-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Read the Reginal Bag limit

PEACE REGIONAL BAG LIMITS

Deer: The bag limit for mule (black-tailed) deer is three.
The bag limit for mule deer bucks in 7B is one.
The bag limit for antlerless mule deer in Region 7B is two. The
bag limit for white-tailed deer is one.

In the regulations it does say 1 in 2, but in this new version it says it is changed to 1 a year, the way I read it at least.

Kechika
08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
PEACE REGIONAL BAG LIMITS

Deer: The bag limit for mule (black-tailed) deer is three.
The bag limit for mule deer bucks in 7B is one.
The bag limit for antlerless mule deer in Region 7B is two. The
bag limit for white-tailed deer is one.

In the regulations it does say 1 in 2, but in this new version it says it is changed to 1 a year, the way I read it at least.

My apologies.Thanks for the clarification

30-06
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
i wish they would have a muley buck season in 7-31 from oct1-oct? for the moose/elk hunters there and then

browningboy
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I can't wait to get up there, I was told my farmer friend is having problems with deer on his property and a nice 6X7 elk, so I told him I'm the man to solve your problems! Damn hurry up hunting season!:shock:

BlacktailStalker
08-15-2007, 10:35 PM
I'll be up there for the last few days of moose and beginning week of november to chase some wall hangers around and do some serious predator calling.

bwhnter
08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Talver, sorry it took so long to reply I am trying to get ready for a dall hunt in the Yukon so have been busy getting things ready to go. As for the winter kill from my scouting and shed hunting I would say that the moose numbers are down.They were hit pretty hard by the ticks. The mule deer in the farm lands have decreased as well. Sure there are alot of deer still out there but most of the yearlings and the older bucks in alot of areas seemed to have disappeared. I have also seen very few mule deer fawns. The elk are as plentifull as ever and as I type this there is 1-6x5 and 3-5x5 feeding in my alfalfa feild. The white-tails seem to have done alright as well. I have seen alot of fawns and caught glimpses of a few really good bucks right before dark.

This is the summary of what I have seen and heard from friends of mine in the areas that we hunt. I know that some areas were hit harded than others by winter kill and it also seems that the deer living further away from the farm land do better. I have my theories as to why that is but I have to get packing and shoot my bow a few more times before I leave.

I will be gone for a couple of weeks so if I don't respond to a post that is why.

Good luck To all.
RAL

Guido02
08-16-2007, 10:55 AM
In 7b area, there are some huge 3 pointers. I was out today looking for the swamp donkey and saw 5 huge three pointers next to river. No indication of 4th point. had a good look with Spotting scope at about 100 yds. Last year i saw 7 bucks together starting with the great grandpa and down...all 3 pointers. they will look better with a Leupold reticle this year

Deer population is down somewhat...