PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru slick

Kane
12-23-2017, 11:53 PM
Hi there.
Anyone own a kifaru slick sleeping bag?
thoughts on a 20* or a 0* Fahrenheit bag for hunting in BC.
Looking for a one bag for all conditions use.
Reviews or suggestions greatly appreciated
regards,

Jagermeister
12-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Go with the colder rated one. 0° would be my pick. In warmer weather, just un-zip the bag to your comfort desire. In colder weather, zip it up. I usually open my bag (which is not a kifaru, but relevant to whatever bag your using) at the feet. The zipper on my bag is two way. When it is colder, you can add layers to keep you warm starting with socks and a toque and a long sleeve tee shirt. A ground sheet over some spruce boughs will go along way too if you are bare grounding it. Used this method when sleeping in a lean-to long ago.

BgBlkDg
12-24-2017, 05:41 AM
I own and sometimes use synthetic bags for some hunting trips, mine are a combo from the original Integral Designs, an Exped PL Wallcreeper and a superb Elephants Toe, from Wildthings.

However, after more than 50 years of usually very frequent, often longterm use all over BC, much of AB and year round, I much prefer top end down bags for 90% of my uses. Lighter, more compressible and I find more comfortable.

If, I were to buy another synthetic bag, I would also choose a Kifaru, largely for their roomy design, first class materials and that very sound center zipper. In fact, I have considered it recently, but, need the $$$ for two rifle builds or perhaps three I have underway.

From reports from users I trust, these bags do not seem as "warm" in use as their ratings would indicate and this is true of any synthetic bag I have ever used since 1964. Given, the changeable nature of BC weather in hunting season and potential use as a "cocoon" in an emergency-injury situation, I would definitely choose the 0*F model......and, would actually like to have one for my truck pack bag.