PDA

View Full Version : Pintails?

Beachcomber
12-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Wondering if it is just me or have others noticed fewer pintails around this season? Maybe I have got the timing wrong, but I expected to see more around than I have. I certainly haven't shot any this season though hopefully I will before this one is all over. Thoughts?

Dano
12-23-2017, 11:38 PM
We haven’t seen many but we don’t target them. We have shot a few though this year.
Seemed like our area had an early influx of mallards in mid-October and that’s when Pintails usually arrive and the bigger flights move through in a few weeks (by mid-nov). Pintails never showed up around us this year though.
Lots of mallards around and bigger flights of Teal too. The teal stayed around a lot longer this year.

Beachcomber
12-24-2017, 07:37 AM
Thanks Dano. Certainly lots of mallards and, as you say, teal. Quiet day yesterday but still lots of birds around.

Ron.C
12-24-2017, 09:25 AM
In one of the areas I hunt on Van Isle, I haven't noticed any decline compared compare to the past couple years.

Foxton Gundogs
12-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Seems to be lots in the delta. Or at least last time I was over

Beachcomber
12-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Seems to be lots in the delta. Or at least last time I was over

Then it must just be me as that is where I hunt. I looked to see if I could find anything that might back up my hunch but found only this https://flyways.us/status-of-waterfowl/population-estimates/2017-northern-pintail-population-estimates. Not much change year on year, though significantly lower over longer term.

Crazy_Farmer
12-24-2017, 01:56 PM
I chase them. Wouldn't say numbers are any lower this season compared to previous. Seen a push early on and the wintering birds are here now.

Sako 75
12-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Got some earlier on the season but our groups did not get any lately. Little more green winged teals kicking around. Just the usually Mallards and widgeons around.

Beachcomber
12-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Pintails or not, I got a new mojo for Christmas so will be leaning on the mallards until season end...