PDA

View Full Version : He’s coming in fast....an elk story.

Rattler
12-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Inspired by Ourea’s recent elk story I’m going to post a elk hunt of my own. I really enjoy reading and seeing other hunters pictures and with all the negative issues facing us these days I figured it would be a nice break.

Elk hunting is fast becoming one of my obsessions and like every year I couldn’t wait for the start of the season. I had a cam up on one of my spots and after a two week soak I checked it and found I had a bunch of bulls, cows and calves. One bull was a 7x5, nothing huge but I’m not picky when it comes to elk, as I have a growing family and they love elk meat.

The season started out with a bang literally lol. Managed to call in a satellite bull for a buddy and he was able to sneak a shot in through the brush at 25 yards. We had a couple bulls screaming and I just soaked it in...love hearing them bugle! His bull so I won’t post pictures of it.

Seeker
12-21-2017, 07:07 PM
here we go again....... keep rollin!

Rattler
12-21-2017, 07:17 PM
I was tired after a long day of buterching my buddies bull, starting to think it is tougher than packing...lol. I made plans to hunt my spot with the 7x5 bull the next day.

My buddies couldn’t make the hunt, but I knew cell coverage wasn’t too far so decided to go solo. After an hour of hiking I was approaching my spot when I looked down and saw a fresh bull track coming down a steep bank. I didn’t take five more steps before I heard the unmistakeable sound of splashing. I quickly start glassing the thick brush/timber ahead of me when I catch movement 70 yards away.

Rattler
12-21-2017, 07:33 PM
After what seemed like an eternity and me cursing the thick West Kootenay rhubarb, I finally could make out a cow. She moved up a ridge and I couldn’t help wonder where the bull was... Then again I hear splashing...right on I think that has to be the bull. Now I think to myself I should let out a soft cow call, so I did thinking I would hear a roaring bugle, but nothing. Five minutes go by and I hear a cow chirp and then I spotted a cow looking at me. Now I have to make like a statue for the next 20minutes and everyone knows it’s not easy. The cow looking at me moves up a ridge towards me and is staring me down only 40 yards away. While watching her I could see she was leaking, but she wasn’t peeing. I’m pretty certain she was in heat. I thought any minute I’m going to see or hear a bull.

Dinner is ready...story to continue shortly.

Rattler
12-21-2017, 08:16 PM
30 minutes later the two cows eventually move off and I made my way to my cam. I grabbed the cam and sat down in a spot with good sight lines of the wallow. To my amazement not one legal bull was captured on cam in two weeks. Several smaller bulls and two 5pts. Feeling a little discouraged I let out some cow calls and was met by crickets.

The sun was poking through the trees and I was contemplating my next move, when the silence was broken by a bugle. I think to myself...”could that be another hunter”? I let out a bugle and it was instantly met by a deep raspy bugle. Game on...

Ourea
12-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Go Rattler go!
Love it.

REMINGTON JIM
12-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Please MORE ! MORE ! Now ! :tongue: RJ

Rattler
12-21-2017, 08:53 PM
I grabbed my rifle and decided to stand up to improve my visibility. As I stood he bugled again and I couldn’t believe how close he sounded now. Listening and trying to think where he was going to come in I hear branches snapping and popping followed by another roaring bugle. He’s right on top of me! I quickly shift ever so slightly to where he is coming in and I see antler tips moving between the trees not 75 yards away. I quickly count his top end and was pleasantly surprised to see 4,5,6 because I was thinking it was going to be one of the 5pts I had on the trail cam.

He is moving in fast and I get a count on the bottom end 1,2,3 as he dipped below some blowdown. Good to go! He is 60 yards away almost trotting and is quartering towards me. I flipped the safety off and as soon as he cleared a Cedar tree I pulled the trigger. At the shot he buckled and lunged forward. I quickly reloaded and found his front shoulder again and squeezed a second shot off. The bull stumbled forward, did a 360 and hit the ground. I could see he was still moving and shifted over to get a clear shot, but could only see his neck through a gap between the trees. I fired at his neck but he never flinched. I reloaded again, but by the time I did he dropped his head. I kept my crosshairs on him for next 20min and the whole time I was amazed at how tough elk are. Shooting 300wm with 180gr Barnes TTSX.

Rattler
12-21-2017, 09:04 PM
I walked up and this is how he lay:

http://i.imgur.com/a1yjk1U.jpg

Rattler
12-21-2017, 09:11 PM
I snapped a few pictures and hiked out to truck, drove to cell range placed a call to Brambles and another buddy. They were pumped to hear the news and were game to help packing. Lucky to have such good friends!

More pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/hRzGCdz.jpg

Rattler
12-21-2017, 09:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oV4Hlfh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iDNZFVL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cLeeKt1.jpg

Weatherby Fan
12-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Wow what a cranker, congrats Rattler, and thanks for sharing, captivating story to say the least, thanks again !
WF

Rattler
12-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Buddies arrived and we got to work quartering using the gutless technique. Had the bull packed back at the truck just as it was getting dark. He’s not a massive bull, but I was pleased to get him. He did have a good sized body on him...

Dreaming of elk hunting already lol. Time to refocus and kill some predators!!

~T-BONE~
12-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Very nice! Thanks for the read!

albravo2
12-21-2017, 09:22 PM
That is a HOG. Good for you!

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Salty
12-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Just a bit of a chest thumper that one :) Beauty bull and great write up Rattler thanks for posting.

ydouask
12-21-2017, 09:35 PM
:smile: As usual, well done Ken. And a great story too !

REMINGTON JIM
12-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Congrats on a Excellent BULL ! Good storey thanks for Sharing ;-) My Heart was pumping hard as i was squeezing off a shot ! lol RJ

180grainer
12-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Nice bull!!!

Ourea
12-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Did Brams pack the deboned meat in one load by himself?
U have one hell of a pack mule in that kid!

Great share Rattler
Cheers

Rattler
12-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Great share Rattler
Cheers

Lol I know....built like a linebacker.

scoutlt1
12-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Great story and pics! Hell of a bull!

Thanks for posting this up!

Brambles
12-21-2017, 10:03 PM

Great share Rattler
Cheers

I brought little Brams with me to get a feel for packing
Great times...love packing elk.

https://vgy.me/Y6yozO.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Great story Rattler and beautiful bull!

Love to hear these postive stories during these recent tough times.

SSS

Seeker
12-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Congrats gentlemen. Great animal and good times spent with friends and family. Good luck with the predators....

dougan
12-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Great story and bull!! Thanks for sharing

Whonnock Boy
12-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Very nice. Congrats. Gotta like it when they come running in, not that I've had it happen too often with elk. :)

nature girl
12-22-2017, 06:40 AM
Rattler nice elk for sure and be still for 20 mins I couldn't do it.

12-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Awesome bull! Thanks for sharing your adventure

12-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Another good Elk story. Great to see friends, up and coming hunters helping too. Makes for a great sharing experience.

thanks for posting, very nice Bull, love the large whale tails.

CT

Knute
12-22-2017, 09:39 AM
"He did have a good sized body on him..."

Humbly understated ;) Beauty bull!

ThinAir
12-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Congrats on a great bull! Thanks for sharing!

deer nut
12-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Nice bull - congratulations! Good to see you still have your mojo after your gbear encounters!

elknut
12-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Don't know what you call big but that bull was great..Good hunt and good story ..Thumbs up !...Dennis

Rattler
12-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Don't know what you call big but that bull was great..Good hunt and good story ..Thumbs up !...Dennis

He is a good bull no doubt. I was referring to his mass measurements which are a little weak. He is a pretty bull and a shooter all day for most. One day when kids have moved out I may get more selective...big may because I love elk meat.

IronNoggin
12-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Very Nice Bull! Congrats!!

Have to love it when they freight train in like that! ;)
Certainly gets the ol' ticker Hammering!!

Many thanks for a great story & pictures!!

Cheers!
Nog

kennyj
12-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Great story and photos! Excellent bull!! Thanks for the great read.
kenny

steepNdeep
12-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Right on Rattler - beauty bull! It's getting harder & harder to consistently shoot a mature bull & I know many dedicated hunters in the Koots that didnt this year...

Great to see some real hunting threads (like the good old days... ;

Sitkaspruce
12-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks Rambler for posting another great hunting story!!!

Great bull, awesome story and nice to see pictures of your bull!!

Thanks for sharing and bringing us along!!

Cheers

SS

BCHunterFSJ
12-23-2017, 01:36 AM
One of the better bulls that I've seen this season! Great thread. Thanks.
I had to "settle" for a 5 pointer meat bull...It was only the first day but guess I'm not picky these days so down it went.
Delicious!

LuckyIfYouGetOne
12-23-2017, 01:40 AM
Wow nice bull thx for sharing story

bang flop
12-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Great story, thanks for the share