PDA

View Full Version : SHEEP RUBS.......Cool

12-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Been a while since I've been in Sheep country in pursuit of a good Ram.
That said, while on a Stone Sheep hunt Adventure up north a few years back, in subalpine country, I came upon a cool find. While sitting along a tree lined ridge we were using for cover while glassing, I looked over to my side in the low Spruce trees and spotted something that caught my eye. When checking it out, I came to the conclusion that this was a Sheep Rub. It had obviously been used for many years. The tree itself was about seven to eight inches through from side to side. There, on the tree, located about three feet off the ground were these bowl shaped rubs, on the sides of the tree. All bark, and wood removed to create small 1/2 circular , yet vertical bowls.
Located in what would be the center of the rub, the bark remained, with sheep hair stuck to and in the sap that oozed from the tree. These bowl shapes were about six or so inches of 1/2 rounds. A few others were also located close by but this particular tree was for sure a favourite.
I wish I had taken a picture, or maybe cut and brought the section out, but seeing potential legal Rams in our spotting scopes drew more attention then trees.

Just wondering if any of you others have seen such things in Sheep country or have pictures you can share with us. It would be appreciated .

If Im ever back there again we will at least get a pic or three.

As as for the chase on Rams, YES ....... we got a Dandy LOL

CT

~T-BONE~
12-21-2017, 12:22 PM
We sure did! After we dumped a bighorn we dropped into these these hoodoos (which was nearly impassable) and saw exactly what you describe on the pines! Unfortunately no pics were taken. Rushing to save the cape and meat took precedence. Not to mention we were roped in!

Brez
12-21-2017, 12:43 PM
I got a video of a bighorn rubbing. First I'd heard or seen and was very cool. This was in the middle of winter as well.

~T-BONE~
12-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Bye bye lamb tips

12-21-2017, 01:43 PM
We know many broom heavy, in the rocks, some don't broom at all. I know they rub, but I kick myself in the arse end for not getting some pics if the Sideways Vertical bowls on the trees.
was a cool find, but the sighting of Rams on the slopes quickly had us focusing elsewhere.

It would be interesting if others have found the same, but have pics ..... Or the actual bowls

srupp
12-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Hmmm with California bighorn some don't rub..gang ranch..but some areas they seem to really rub..Taseko". .Tusunia" really rub..and choose pitch covered trees..they rub at their bases filling in the annuli"..this pitch tends to turn the horns darker..one ram of mine is dark...one is light..one rubbing in the pitch..the other not.
Seen cali rubbing on Christmas tree sized trees..lots of times..don't know why they rub pitch ..sap covered trees. .it may just be neck strengthening on trees that just happens to have pitch?
Steven

spear
12-21-2017, 05:01 PM
We have watched them rubbing in Tuchodi country as well, before we saw it we thought elk were rubbing at at treeline.

BTF
12-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Saw a cali rubbing a tree, funny cause what caught my attention first was a pine tree waving in the distance about 7-800 yrds away. That ram was all revved up and was ramming the tree before he continued to just rubbing it. This was November 27th three years back.

Bear Chaser
12-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Cool.
One more thing to look forward to finding.

blackbart
12-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Have seen lots of rubs on mostly decid trees and bushes in 3-17 watched many rams do it there.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2017, 06:21 AM
Before I was born my family lived in Canal Flats. The sheep used to rut behind the house and the rams would come down and rub on my mom's clothesline pole.

SSS

12-22-2017, 10:03 PM
No pics fellas of these unique bowls on trees?