PDA

View Full Version : BCWF- Grizzly Bear Hunt

BCWF
12-20-2017, 01:41 PM
https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/image/in-the-news/GBear1.png

BCWF Responds to Grizzly Bear Hunt Ban

News Coverage

Mike Smyth in the Province: read the full story HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2ftheprovince.com%2fn ews%2fbc-politics%2fmike-smyth-ndp-does-an-about-face-on-grizzly-bear-hunting%3futm_content%3dbuffer2e338%26utm_medium%3 dsocial%26utm_source%3dfacebook.com%26utm_campaign %3dbuffer%23comments&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

Pro-hunting groups are furious, since the consultation was supposed to be about implementing the partial hunt, not bringing in a surprise total ban on grizzly hunting.
“We were told the hunt would move forward,” said Jesse Zeman, director of the B.C. Wildlife Federation, which represents resident B.C. hunters. The government changed the goalposts. It reflects poorly on how we’re going to be doing business in B.C."

Larry Pynn in the Vancouver Sun: read the full story HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fvancouversun.com%2f news%2flocal-news%2fndp-government-kills-plan-for-food-hunt-of-b-c-grizzly-bears%3futm_content%3dbuffercdbbc%26utm_medium%3ds ocial%26utm_source%3dfacebook.com%26utm_campaign%3 dbuffer&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

Harvey Andrusak, president of the BC Wildlife Federation, representing hunters and fishermen, said he is disappointed to see the government making decisions based on public emotion rather than good science.
He said it “raises the question of why have government biologists been doing any work if their data is to be ignored. Public sentiment and emotions driving government decisions is bad news for fish and wildlife in B.C.”

CTV News: print and video stories HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fbc.ctvnews.ca%2fb-c-bans-grizzly-hunting-effective-immediately-1.3726358%3futm_content%3dbuffer36ecf%26utm_medium %3dsocial%26utm_source%3dfacebook.com%26utm_campai gn%3dbuf&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

The BCWF said it expects closing the hunt outright will result in increased human-bear confrontations and attacks and that taxpayers will be on the hook for managing the bear population. Referencing the auditor general's report, the BCWF said habitat loss is a more important issue to address, and that many of its members feel betrayed.
"While those opposed to grizzly bear hunting may rejoice it is a sad day when emotions trump science," the statement said.

Listen to Jesse Zeman with Mike Smyth on CKNW: HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fomny.fm%2fshows%2ft he-simi-sara-show%2fbc-hunters-speak-out-against-grizzly-hunt-ban&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

How We Got Here

Reviewing newspaper clippings, government documents and files going back to the 1970s opponents of hunting have ebbed and flowed, but over the past 22 years, and more so in the last decade, the movement gained significant traction with the media. There are a number of groups with anti-hunting messages who have re-branded as conservation organizations to increase public support. The message from these organizations is: 1) Hunting is not sustainable 2) Science government uses is not reliable 3) Hunting, particularly of carnivores, is unethical.
After annual media and political campaigns to stop the hunt, B.C.’s provincial government implemented a brief moratorium (2001), which was overturned in the provincial election six months later. While government researchers and top bear ecologists in North America spent hunter, industry and public dollars to continue their work around grizzly bears conservation, (identifying the bottlenecks around habitat and that hunting was not a major threat), the anti-hunting campaigns continue to spend theirs on a message that the hunt is not sustainable and more so that the trophy grizzly bear hunt is unethical.

What does this mean for you?

A long-term effort to stop hunting has successfully made its way into the spotlight and it has changed policy. While many environmentalists have historically said they are only opposed to “trophy hunting”, some are now saying they would like black bear hunting closed and a ban on the hunting of all carnivores in the Great Bear Rainforest. The same logic of perspectives, beliefs, and values apply to a number of species across the province. It should not come as a surprise if other species such as sheep and mountain goat make onto the anti-hunters list.
B.C. has no plan for what this province will look like in 40 years. There are no meaningful mandated objectives for habitat, fish and wildlife across our province.
Without adequate funding, science fails, abundance declines across much of B.C., and social support is non-existent. Those who cherish our natural resources are fighting over an ever-diminishing pie. Government’s historical approach to managing fish and wildlife has encouraged conflict through an exclusive and divisive process.

Wildlife Management Fund

If we intend to leave a semblance of today’s environment to future generations, B.C. needs to change — we need a new approach to take care of our landscapes, watersheds, fish and wildlife. It needs to be well funded, science-based and built for the long-term so that future British Columbians can enjoy what we enjoy today.
The BC Wildlife Federation sees the first step is to dedicate all fishing and hunting licence fees to the resource and having other natural-resource users contribute financially. Since the BCWF and other conservation organizations have successfully advocated for a new funding model for wildlife management it has been attacked by a number of groups. In a recent op-ed title “Wildlife management overhaul is long overdue” in the Victoria Times Colonist the authors attempted to delegitimize the North American Wildlife Conservation Model (NAWCM). BCWF members should brush up on the origin, history and success of the NAWCM and should be conveying it to their elected officials and peers.

Read about the NAWCM HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fws.gov%2fhunti ng%2fnorth-american-model-of-wildlife-conservation.html&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

As we move forward with a new funding model there will be many detractors and some have already started on a chorus of doubt and cynicism. This really isn’t about grizzly bears, science, or conservation – it’s about hunting and fishing (sustainable use), and more importantly the notoriety and money that flows from charismatic megafauna (grizzly bears and wolves).

Advocacy at Work

Similar to the state of funding for fish and wildlife, and the declines we are seeing in biodiversity, this change seems to be more about our collective lack of focus and hands off approach to the non-hunting public and our elected officials. Fixing it is actually relatively easy.
There are three things people can do to turn the tide. First is to represent hunters, anglers and conservationists in the best possible light. You can talk about who you are, what you do, and why you do it - NOT just to your hunting and fishing buddies, but to non-hunters and non-anglers you know. Secondly write, call and meet with your elected officials and your local media. Tell them who you are, what you do, how the NAWCM works, and how important conservation, hunting and angling are to you. Finally take a kid hunting, fishing, or both. Collectively, those are the best ways we can work together to ensure future generations of British Columbians get to experience what we enjoy today.

Please email, write, and call your MLA - find them HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.leg.bc.ca%2flea rn-about-us%2fmembers&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

Sign the BCWF petition for a new Wildlife Funding Model HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fbcwf.net%2findex.ph p%2f2017-political-election-questions%2fsign-the-petition%3futm_content%3dbuffer043fd%26utm_medium% 3dsocial%26utm_source%3dfacebook.com%26utm_campaig n%3dbuffer&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

Read the Oct 2017 Auditor General's grizzly bear report HERE (https://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bcauditor.com%2 fsites%2fdefault%2ffiles%2fpublications%2freports% 2fFINAL_Grizzly_Bear_Management.pdf&srcid=26988&srctid=1&erid=6098737&trid=d436f12f-73a0-4bc1-a657-64a7f36bc06f)

Ltbullken
12-20-2017, 02:06 PM
What is the BCWF strategy in light of concerns about an anti-hunting agenda in the current government?

Might I suggest the BCWF and GOABC organize town hall meetings with the local F&G clubs so that we can start discussion and mapping out a strategy in each of our communities. I see it as vital that we focus on:

1. Our image.
2. Community engagement - speaking to the public and educating them on the principles of wildlife management and the role of science.
3. PR - through doing the above and undertaking conservation and habitat restoration projects.
4. Political engagement - we need to remind the politicians that we are a voice and a force to be reckoned with.

Start writing to the BCWF. They did town hall meetings when the allocation debate was in full force. I think this situation is way more important than allocation at this time.

Thoughts?

Rob Chipman
12-20-2017, 02:36 PM
I think we're staring to get there. At the very least we're starting to see the forest for the trees.

Compare "Pro-hunting groups ... B.C. Wildlife Federation, which represents resident B.C. hunters" and "BC Wildlife Federation, representing hunters and fishermen,..."

with "groups with anti-hunting messages who have re-branded as conservation organizations to increase public support."

and

"You can talk about who you are.....NOT just to your hunting and fishing buddies, but to non-hunters and non-anglers you know.

Secondly write, call and meet with your elected officials and your local media. Tell them who you are, what you do, how the NAWCM works, and how important conservation, hunting and angling are to you.

Finally take a kid hunting, fishing, or both".

There may be lots that you don't like about the BCWF, but I think they've identified a clear problem: we are defined by other people as advocates for a special interest group that wants to take. Other people who are in many ways working against us are defined as people who want to give and improve.

BCWF is also giving people on the ground ways to change this, and pointing us to tools. More power to them.

Whonnock Boy
12-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Leading up to the election the BCWF put on town halls. To say that the turn out was abysmal is an understatement. IMO, we need to lay the foundation before building the machine. The Federation is broken, and the sooner people realize this, the sooner we can get on with laying down the ground work.

Might I suggest the BCWF and GOABC organize town hall meetings with the local F&G clubs so that we can start discussion and mapping out a strategy in each of our communities.

Thoughts?

Rob Chipman
12-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Ltbullken:

I don't think we need townhalls to map out strategy, to be honest. A smart guy recently circulated some points. Maybe you saw them:

"1. Our image.
2. Community engagement - speaking to the public and educating them on the principles of wildlife management and the role of science.
3. PR - through doing the above and undertaking conservation and habitat restoration projects.
4. Political engagement - we need to remind the politicians that we are a voice and a force to be reckoned with."

That's a pretty good starting point. Sure, it can have some rough corners smoothed off, but if you believe in ready, fire, aim, it's a pretty good starting point.

What we are missing is enough committed people who will do the legwork. I'm not sure how we solve that. There are some people who are doing a lot, but there doesn't seem to be enough of them.

My experience with my F&G club is that it's aging out and having trouble attracting younger people. Is that just a big city thing, or is it happening in Kamloops and similar locations as well?

horshur
12-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Leading up to the election the BCWF put on town halls. To say that the turn out was abysmal is an understatement. IMO, we need to lay the foundation before building the machine. The Federation is broken, and the sooner people realize this, the sooner we can get on with laying down the ground work.

What is the point of preaching to the choir?

horshur
12-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Just bugger off blaming hunters..put the blame where it belongs. The willfully ignorant masses.

Gateholio
12-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Just bugger off blaming hunters..put the blame where it belongs. The willfully ignorant masses.

Willfully ignorant masses, and hunters that voted for the hunt ban when they cast thier ballot for the NDP or green party

Whonnock Boy
12-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Yes Gate, when I voted for the NDP, I knew full well that a ban to the grizzly bear hunt was imminent. :roll: Even Jesse Zeman, Harvey Andrusak, and the entire Prov. board of the BCWF was caught off guard by it, or that's what they are saying any ways. What I think is pretty ignorant is what you have commented below. C'mon man, I thought you were better than a cheap shot artist like FD.

Willfully ignorant masses, and hunters that voted for the hunt ban when they cast thier ballot for the NDP or green party

Bugle M In
12-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Stumbled upon this thread just to see what's up???
Glad to see everyone getting along and playing nice....:roll:

Whonnock Boy
12-20-2017, 09:30 PM
Should I add that I believe blame should be put on people that don't show up?

horshur
12-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Gate our hunting rights/privilege should not be so precarious that it depends on which party gets in. It really shouldn't matter what party. It is not a confidence inspiring position that one prominent politician that miss steps results in ruin and an end to a freedom once enjoyed without worry. Inalienable rights/privilege. If there is game huntable without conservation concerns it should be a no brainer. While it is beyond me who would have even considered voting NDP nearly as many did as didn't. I don't vote to take stuff away from others. I vote to my benefit,the freedoms and privileges I enjoy. I am resentfull that I have to pic my poison. There are legitimate reasons some voted NDP. Why must I vote one way in order to maintain my hunting freedoms while that party ignores the plight of individuals with mental illness..low income housing ect .Honestly there are folks with a lot bigger problems then not being able to hunt a grizzly. Hunting isn't even on the list. The list can change in a second.
It cannot be you are either for or against us. Life is much more complicated then that. But our political system causes division probably on purpose and probably not for the best intentions.

horshur
12-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Yes Gate, when I voted for the NDP, I knew full well that a ban to the grizzly bear hunt was imminent. :roll: Even Jesse Zeman, Harvey Andrusak, and the entire Prov. board of the BCWF was caught off guard by it, or that's what they are saying any ways. What I think is pretty ignorant is what you have commented below. C'mon man, I thought you were better than a cheap shot artist like FD.
We almost lost the grizzly hunt under the liberals...FYI

Whonnock Boy
12-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Excellent point. I remember speaking with the past President about the coastal hunt being shut down while under the Liberal power, and what the BCWF and the executives were asking for in compensation. If they got in, we would have lost at least some of the hunt regardless.

We almost lost the grizzly hunt under the liberals...FYI

338win mag
12-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Gate our hunting rights/privilege should not be so precarious that it depends on which party gets in. It really shouldn't matter what party. It is not a confidence inspiring position that one prominent politician that miss steps results in ruin and an end to a freedom once enjoyed without worry. Inalienable rights/privilege. If there is game huntable without conservation concerns it should be a no brainer. While it is beyond me who would have even considered voting NDP nearly as many did as didn't. I don't vote to take stuff away from others. I vote to my benefit,the freedoms and privileges I enjoy. I am resentfull that I have to pic my poison. There are legitimate reasons some voted NDP. Why must I vote one way in order to maintain my hunting freedoms while that party ignores the plight of individuals with mental illness..low income housing ect .Honestly there are folks with a lot bigger problems then not being able to hunt a grizzly. Hunting isn't even on the list. The list can change in a second.
It cannot be you are either for or against us. Life is much more complicated then that. But our political system causes division probably on purpose and probably not for the best intentions.
This is so true.

HarryToolips
12-20-2017, 10:31 PM
What is the BCWF strategy in light of concerns about an anti-hunting agenda in the current government?

Might I suggest the BCWF and GOABC organize town hall meetings with the local F&G clubs so that we can start discussion and mapping out a strategy in each of our communities. I see it as vital that we focus on:

1. Our image.
4. Political engagement - we need to remind the politicians that we are a voice and a force to be reckoned with.

Start writing to the BCWF. They did town hall meetings when the allocation debate was in full force. I think this situation is way more important than allocation at this time.

Thoughts?
Completely agree.......

Bugle M In
12-21-2017, 12:25 AM

Glad to hear you say some things that I really feel the same about as well...
Hard to be a hunter, yet also face other serious issues out there, and yet have to pick your own poison...sucks.
Seems like much of the Interior folks voted Liberal Red, and though I live in the LM, I can only conclude that the
interior folks first concern was employment....which is fair.
Down here in the LM, there sure seemed to be a lot of NDP Orange.....
The tolls coming off so people could get to work and still have a ew dollars in their pocket was definitely a
"game changer" for the NDP....and the Libs really shot themselves in the foot because it.....
Plus the fact that trying to buy a house down here is impossible.....something else the Libs never tried to help with.
I don't see things changing for the folks in the interior, but still hoping for more employment oppurtunities, when
the next election comes around....so I am going to guess the Libs will still hold on up there.
Not sure if the Grizz ban will have made any past Lib voters go Orange or not....I have no idea on the pulse or
thoughts obviously....
But down here....I don't think the ban will create much more, if any , extra NDP voters.
Lets face it, this ban was to "hold on" to their voters that they just double-crossed with site c.
And again, even those upcountry, against the site c, are probably pissed about losing the grizz hunt also...
(maybe the ndp shot themselves in the foot more then they think??)
It may have won them some votes down here, as many down here don't really even have a clue about site c,
so, they didn't even realize there was something to lose....
BUT....that is now yesterdays news...the tolls are off.....so voters here got what they wanted....what was
important to them.
But now, they are still faced with high housing prices, and soon to be "growing debt" that seems to always come when the NDP come to power.
It will be very interesting to see what direction the Liberals take now...to see what they will be offering the voters
next time around.
Let's face it...the Libs will definitely be targeting voters down here next election, as they lost too many seats here.
I guess it will also depend on what else goes out whack as well???
OR wait times...?? who knows....
All I know is this....
Weaver never lied...he is who he is...he's a Green.
If anything, he lied to his voters, as he ended up supporting Site C...yes, he can say he didn't support it, but he never took action, and said NO, and out it to the voters of BC.
Lets face it, he is living his 2 minutes of fame, and enjoying the little bit of "control" he and his party will ever see!
Come next election, either the Liberals will win, or the NDP will win, with a majority, and Weaver and the greens will just be back to a "couple of turds" taking up space.
As for Horgan, never met him, but he also lied to his voters with site c...worst thing is about him...he and his party
always knew that site c was too far to stop....but hey, they needed a platform, and made their voters believe they
would stop it....so, he lied to them...so when will he lie again?
But, the one individual who has pissed me off the most is Heymen!
That guy stood there, face to face with me, not once, but twice, stating to me that the NDP "would support meat
hunting in BC"...he even sent me emails, underlining there stance, to assure people like me, that this was who
they are!!! who they would stand up for...that they supported hunters!!
I never drank the cool aid....(but I did bring up a thread on him at the time, to get others thoughts.. and heads up!)
Anyways, Heymen, exemplifies to me exactly what a "snake in the grass politician" is!!!
He is the true "poster boy" of the politician/s we despise daily.
One that will tell you it's okay....we hear you...no need to worry...and then sells you out for a vote over there.
There is just no way in hell I will ever vote for a party that "lies", and right to my face!
Anyways, enough of the rant....but politics in the LM is at an all time low....and so are the way some of the
folks think down here as well.
Crazy times for sure...and not much fun when it comes to "picking the right party" or should I say..
not having to swallow one parties poison over another.
Think I have no choice after this GBear ban but to swallow the "red cool aid"...Heymen made that easy for me now.

303savage
12-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Public sentiment and emotions driving government decisions is bad news for fish and wildlife in B.C.”

Ignore the science and go with the sentiments of the snow flakes :-(

Whonnock Boy
12-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Clarity is good.

Wild one
12-21-2017, 11:56 AM
I am just going to make this simple we as hunters and hunting organizations need to rethink on how we protect hunting rights

The intentions are good but hunters are not gaining ground and govt has no fear when it comes to stepping on hunting

Bugle M In
12-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Okay...firstly, to someone like me...I have no clue what the hell is going on here???
I have heard that there are issues at BCWF....but I think there are many on this site, as well as other hunters in the
province that have "no clue" what those issues were/are??
Is there somewhere, where I can read up on all this "dirty laundry"???
I would really like to know.
What I do know is, there is usually 3 sides to the story, the 3rd being the truth.

Also, I will say this, sometimes to get an engine running at top performance, you do have to "tear it all down" 1st.

Sounds like to me there are some "qualified people" (if I have read between the lines correctly), who no longer partake in BCWF ongoings...
Maybe some of these folks have the "know how" to set up a "Resident Hunters of BC" type Organization??

Again, BCWF is there for "Conservation of BC Wildlife", and yes, hunting is a part of that, and as well, the members are hunters.
But, I still think we need a Legit "Hunter Organization", just for hunters voices.
But, I do agree, BCWF, at this point in time, is the best we have right now.
I just wish I knew what the hell everyone is going on about?????

Gateholio
12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Okay...firstly, to someone like me...I have no clue what the hell is going on here???
I have heard that there are issues at BCWF....but I think there are many on this site, as well as other hunters in the
province that have "no clue" what those issues were/are??
Is there somewhere, where I can read up on all this "dirty laundry"???

This whole "airing of dirty laundry" on HBC is something that we the admin of HBC have been trying to curtail. There has been more than enough of it in the past and we are sick of having HBC used as a platform for people on BCWF agendas.

I'm a bit pissed at myself for walking into this thread, opening the door for WB to continue his crusade. So I did some editing and now will lock this thread.

The "dirty laundry" isn't nearly as interesting or as dramatic as some want to make out, but you can always pursue it privately or at your club or whatever if you desire. Bunch of adults squabbling.......