PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Hunting

thatskindafunny
08-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok, sore point with most archers I'm sure. However do to injuries I am unable to shoot the mighty bow anymore. After 10 years of not using one I borrowed a crossbow and am getting ready for opening day. I find them very accurate. Will keep my shot down to 20 yards or less. Reason going back to the archery thing is I was out at the farm I've been hunting the other night and saw the biggest blacktail I have seen in 38 years of hunting. He only had 3 up top with double brows but is massive in antler and body compared to the 5x4 that was there. Will be back at sea 2 days before the shotgun season so this at least gives me a chance at him. Sorry 5x4 but I'm going to shooo you away. Any other cross bow hunters out there? Tips are always nice.

brotherjack
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Crossbow hunting is really no different than any other kind of bow hunting. Your goal is, to get a (preferably huge bodied, giant antlered) critter, who is completely unaware of your presence, to come in at close range, then turn broadside and put his head into some position (down to feed, behind a tree, etc) in which he won't see you move your bow into position for a shot. Then comes the easy part - you just run an arrow through him, wait 30 minutes or so, and then go get him (preferably with a buddy, so you can whoop and holler, and take pictures of each other with the dead critter).

:)

blacktailslayer
08-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I have hunted with a crossbow for 15 years. One word "Excalibur!"

Deerwhacker
08-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I use my horton legend xl 175 and have had good times hunting with it. same as what brother jack says, its the same as any other bowhunt. the 20 yard thing sounds very good i hear too much about longer shots being made and in my opinion even if you can make those long shots 10 out of 10 times at long distances, animals will "jump the string"from time to time. but hey it sounds like your and experienced bow hunter so you should have no problems adjusting,well the only thing that is different is that the crossbow is alot harder to lug around.

Mr Cam
08-13-2007, 09:57 PM

I just picked up a Pheonix, and I'm impressed with the accuracy, and especially the trigger, nice precision kit.

hunter1947
08-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Just keep in mind that what it drops at at 30 yards ,or how hi it will be when clouser then 20 yards.

swamper
08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
I see no problem with someone using a crossbow to hunt if they can no longer hunt with a bow.

That being said, I do have a problem with people that buy a crossbow just so that they can get the extra few days of hunting. Why not buy a bow and spend a bit of time practicing. Crossbows definitely have their place, but not, in my opinion, as a tool to get extra days.

Good luck, kill a big one.

Chris

thatskindafunny
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Yes it is an Excalibur. Also won't be lugging it around as I will be shooting from a ground blind set up by the corn or out of one of my 3 tree stands that I use with the shot gun. Concern I have is what it will shoot like at only 10 paces. Steep angle. Guess I'll have to take a target butt out and see how she shoots. Anyways can't wait to hear the snap of a twig behind me. Wait what is it? Here it comes, craps it's the 5x4 be patient the big one is behind. Darkness comes and he doesn't show and all you can do is shrug your shoulders and say well thatskindafunny and maybe tomorrow night. Course they don't get big by being stupid. And that's hunting, just when you got them figured out they do something different.

Bow Walker
08-14-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm sure that most on here know that I'm an archery addict - all forms of equipment, and all disciplines.

I have nothing against X-bows at all. It still takes skill and ability (coupled with a bit of luck) for the 'extra season' hunter to bring down an animal.

brotherjack
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with using a crossbow, long bow, compound bow, black powder, flintlock, or whatever other weapon the powers that be come up with to have a special season for in a given part of the world. I'm a hunting addict - I hunt whenever, wherever, and however I can legally do so, with whatever weapon happens to be in season. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I make no apologies for it.

Wild Will
08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Why quit at the end of the special season. They are fine during the rifle seasons as well.

Elkhound
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I see no problem with someone using a crossbow to hunt if they can no longer hunt with a bow.

That being said, I do have a problem with people that buy a crossbow just so that they can get the extra few days of hunting. Why not buy a bow and spend a bit of time practicing. Crossbows definitely have their place, but not, in my opinion, as a tool to get extra days.

Chris

Thats why alot of people by a bow too. Extra few days of hunting. So a crossbow or a bow are both just an extra tool as you put it.

thatskindafunny
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Why quit at the end of the special season. They are fine during the rifle seasons as well.
That's my feeling too. If I find I like this I will buy one for next year. Even thou I will not be home for the archery season. I always did like everything about hunting with a bow. The preperation killed a lot of time and kept me busy. Down at the local sporting goods store and was talking to Rick and he mentioned the one big thing not to do was shoot at a deer when it's in the field. Ok, why? Well, that's how a lot of farmers don't like hunters because they got tired of grinding up arrows in their silage. Good point and never thought of that 10 years ago. So the ground blind by the corn is not going to happen.

Bow Walker
08-14-2007, 06:49 PM
:idea: Just don't miss - and be sure to recover your bolt.:razz:

BlacktailStalker
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Just dont take anything other than a double lung shot.
Cross bows are great, easy to shoot/learn, but they do not hit as hard as a bow!
Even on small deer like ours on the island.
If I could no longer hunt with my bow, I am sure I too would try a crossbow.
I just like getting close to the buggers and it'd be a bit over kill to waste em with a 300 at 18 yards lol ! I dont like my game peppered with buckshot either.

thatskindafunny
08-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Yes BlacktailStalker the closeness is where it's at. Took a deer from 6 paces with my shot gun 3 years back and there was no pepper ness or mess. Hole in each ear, half the antler gone by the base, and I guess the rest were in the back of the head. I keep my shot down to 30 paces. At that range I have 6 of the 9 pellets in a 4x6 inch square. Back of the head for sure. But going to try real hard for the crossbow next year. Can't shoot the shotgun out against the target by the garage door. Oh and for people's info while learning to shoot the cross bow I didn't pull the string straight back and well they are powerful as it went through the 1/4 inch plywood and in 2 1/2 inches of the 2x4. Thatskindafunny but got that one figured out now.

BlacktailStalker
08-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Yes a head shot will do it lol ! I'm a vitals man myself, but hey, thats me! Maybe thats why I dont care for peppering deer, as thats what I did the first time I was in a shotgun area, (didnt have a bow then) let er rip at 30 yards, bang flop, but after seeing the pellet damage from the inside, in about a 12-14" circumference, I told myself never again.
Crossbows are powerfull, they just dont have the kinetic energy, obviously, as the bolt is that much shorter than an arrow and that lost grain weight can work against you when you get out to 30-35 yards.
I'm by no means critisizing anything here, incase you took it the wrong way.
Best of luck, looking forward to that monster buck photo :):)

Bow Walker
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Thats why alot of people by a bow too. Extra few days of hunting. So a crossbow or a bow are both just an extra tool as you put it.

I sold off all my guns so that I could concentrate on archery hunting only - no firearms. :idea:So my archery equipment is my only hunting "tool". (:oops:now Dave.... don't go there.)

..........and yes - I do consider cross bows as archery equipment:-)

Gateholio
08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
I

Just buy whatever you want and use it, whether you can use a regular bow or not.

A crossbow is just as valid as any other bow if you wish to get extra days hunting in...

loki
08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Cross bows are great, easy to shoot/learn, but they do not hit as hard as a bow!

Not that i'm attempting to start anything here, however this may have been true at one point, but isn't anymore.

Again, one word, Excalibur. Or if you have money to burn, send some my way :-D, er.... I mean there's always the Bowtech Stryker.

I fire the Excalibur Exocet and have it chronied at 302 - 305 FPS using a 465 grain bolt (including broadhead, fletch, & inserts). Which gives me roughly a 92 Kinetic Ft lbs bolt of death.

The Stryker if you care to know is rated to put out a whopping 405 FPS with 155 ft lbs kinetic energy. It also retails for $1400 or more...

What is true is that the crossbows I've seen fire (Excalibur, Horton, & Barnett) is that they are louder and generally heavier/bulkier than modern day compound bows.

Again, not trying to start anything, I also bowhunt. To me it's all archery tackle, and requires similar skills.

thatskindafunny
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm by no means critisizing anything here, incase you took it the wrong way.
Best of luck, looking forward to that monster buck photo :smile::smile:

Not at all, Like all the suggestions I can get. Never thought about the kinetic thing because of the smaller arrow. Good point.Just slowly getting back into the archery mode. Just got back from putting another tree stand in about 50 yards from the other. Nice!!! This way when the shotgun season starts my friend is in eye sight of his son. My tree stands are 12 and 14 feet high. They are 2x4's with inset steps and a piece of plywood for the top. On top of that I cut the legs off of a lawn chair and bolt it to it. Cost is $30. I hope to have 8 tree stands in the next 2 years on the farm I hunt. Anyways hope to have a pic of the big one. Thanks for all the help. Only 2 months away until I'll be sitting in my blind for elk and mule deer.

BlacktailStalker
08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
That's a great idea for tree stands. I only have one hang on stand and my climber. Might have to do a few home builds myself !

Elkhound
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I sold off all my guns so that I could concentrate on archery hunting only - no firearms. :idea:So my archery equipment is my only hunting "tool". (:oops:now Dave.... don't go there.)

..........and yes - I do consider cross bows as archery equipment:-)

I was merely pointing out that a crossbow or a bow can be used if someone just wanted to gain extra days for hunting...thats all.

And I commend you for the firearms sale. I found hunting spring bear with the bow extremely satisfying this year. Very addicting. I can see why you did. However.....I love the boomsticks too much to completely give them up......LMAO

Bow Walker
08-16-2007, 09:08 AM
:cool:Elkhound - I'm not P.O.'d or anything like that, it's just I like to believe that someone who takes the trouble and expense to buy and use archery gear for the preliminary Archery Only season is an avid hunter and further, that he or she uses all the meat thus 'harvested.'

I'm in my own little wonder land, I know.:redface:

It's been pointed out to me many a time before now.:confused:

loki
08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
By the way doesn't this thread belong in archery? Can a mod move this thing?

Never thought about the kinetic thing because of the smaller arrow. Good point.

I can't speak about all crossbow bolts, but as for what I shoot they're only smaller in length. The only people that can keep up with the grain weight of a bolt are archers shooting big diameter arrows.

Really if you think about the physics about this matter, more arrow length equals more friction. A smaller, heavier bolt has less surface area to create friction, and more weight to punch through the target.

Once again, what I fire is a 20", 465 grain bolt. How many archers can claim that kind of projectile weight and still break speeds of 300 FPS?

For the record, arrows coming out of my bow are 30", and roughly 334 - 336 grains. Also they travel slower for FPS (haven't chronied it, but I'm certain it's not touching 300 FPS, I hope it's 280, but expect 260 - 270 FPS). So really, ask yourself, which projectile is hitting harder downrange?

Elkhound
08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
By the way doesn't this thread belong in archery? Can a mod move this thing?

............Done

Elkhound
08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
So really, ask yourself, which projectile is hitting harder downrange?

So then why for example do you need a min150lb crossbow or 100lb pull compound crossbow compared to a 40lb compound bow for elk? Just wondering

highcountry88
08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I like the idea of the crossbow to extend the hunting season, but the last time I tried load the crossbow in front of a big 3x4, it was a real gong show....I swear that buck was smirking at me....

One day I really would like to try some more bow hunting but I think my freezer will be empty till I can boost my stalking skills.....

loki
08-16-2007, 07:34 PM
So then why for example do you need a min150lb crossbow or 100lb pull compound crossbow compared to a 40lb compound bow for elk? Just wondering

Good question...

Basically, since that sounds like a quote from the hunting regs, I'd say it's in there so you blow through the animal and finish it ASAP. Any animal with a chest cavity more than 20" takes the chance of not double lunging it unless you blow right through.

As I understand, it's in the amount of power slide (draw length), or lack of for crossbows. They require harder hitting force to make up for lost powerslide. That and there is string/bolt friction against the guide rail, bolt holder, and any fletching contact.

brotherjack
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
The shortened power stroke of the crossbow is why it takes more pounds to produce equivilant velocity/KE to other bows.

But at the end of the day, both crossbows and compound bows produce nearly identical KE. Certain models of crossbow (and certain models of compound bow) produce some very high KE numbers, whereas other model's don't. Overall, they're virtually identical in terms of what they can do with a pointy stick.

Elkhound
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
thanks Loki and B Jack

Walksalot
08-20-2007, 05:39 AM

Chris

I can't agree with this at all. If a person uses a crossbow because they want a few extra days hunting then it's better to use a weapon that takes less practice to shoot accurately. To me it's better than flinging arrows with reckless abandon at animals. I prefer a compound bow but one day I might just try hunting with a crossbow.

Derek_Erickson
08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Ok, sore point with most archers I'm sure. However do to injuries I am unable to shoot the mighty bow anymore. After 10 years of not using one I borrowed a crossbow and am getting ready for opening day. I find them very accurate. Will keep my shot down to 20 yards or less. Reason going back to the archery thing is I was out at the farm I've been hunting the other night and saw the biggest blacktail I have seen in 38 years of hunting. He only had 3 up top with double brows but is massive in antler and body compared to the 5x4 that was there. Will be back at sea 2 days before the shotgun season so this at least gives me a chance at him. Sorry 5x4 but I'm going to shooo you away. Any other cross bow hunters out there? Tips are always nice.

I think he's buying it because he can't shoot anymore guys due to injury!

jessbennett
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
loki,

for the record a compound bow will hold its kinetic energy better down range.....

greybark
08-20-2007, 07:08 PM
:D Get over it , They are legal .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --