PDA

View Full Version : Moving Forward From the Ban

cpwrestler
12-19-2017, 06:05 PM
With the grizzly hunt ban now in place, my thoughts turn to what's next. How can we work to improve our public image so that this doesn't happen again? The best idea I can think of right now is to increase our on the ground habitat restoration and improvement projects, increase the exposure they get, and welcome non-hunters into the process. Activities like prescribed burns are essential and should continue, but they often happen far from the public eye or with little involvement/input from the general public.

In addition to traditional projects like burns, we should identify a list of small yet tangible projects, close to urban centers, and invite the public to join us in tackling them. Weekend garbage clean ups, removal of invasive plants, restoration of native shrubs, etc. etc. These types of projects make for great weekend family activities and the non-hunting public can actively participate. The key will be ensuring that that it's clear that these initiatives are undertaken by hunters and hunting organizations for everyone's enjoyment.

The projects don't need to be that big, and don't even have to make that big of a physical impact, the key is the symbolic impact they make and welcoming non-hunters into that process.

If one thing is clear, it's that the government can't be trusted to be responsible stewards of our wildlife so we should do a better job of promoting how hunting is conservation by walking the walk... and making sure others know about it and can participate.

By way of example, Trout Unlimited Canada has been celebrating Canada's 150th anniversary by showcasing 150 restoration projects they've participated in across the country. Every day on their instagram feed a new project is showcased along with a description of how it helps restore and improve fish habitat. There's no reason the BCWF couldn't also make this sort of initiative a reality... The thing is, we need the projects.

This type of idea is a long-term play. It won't change hearts and minds overnight, but as hunters we know that nobody cares or gives back more than us. This sort of initiative would help introduce the public at large to the concept of "hunting as conservation" that they otherwise seem to have such a hard time grasping.

This is obviously just one suggestion and would have to be a part of a larger plan so any other ideas or thoughts?

HappyJack
12-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Maybe we have to do what the LGBTQ crowd did to gain more social acceptance? We should organize parades and get crosswalks painted in camo . ..we should quit hiding what we are doing and go public..get right up 8n their faces with it. We could have a moose steak on the BBQ and drive the antis nuts.

Well it worked for them, meanwhile we skulk around in the shadows and hide our kills from the public eye.

northernguy
12-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Some good ideas for sure.

One major challenge will be to get the media attention. The right media attention.

Ducks Unlimited does a great job...no doubt. But they almost have to down-play the fact they are hunters or they suffer the wrath of the media (I saw one news item on DU and the reporter even said "In spite of being hunters, these Duck Unlimited volunteers are doing great work for the local wetlands..." The reporter just couldn't help it!!). Trout Unlimited don't have quite the same problem. Fishing has "social licence" (for now) so they can get the coverage.

Instead of having to suppress their general bias toward hunters in a piece about hunters helping habitat, the media will do much, much worse...they will ignore the story of hunters helping habitat.

You're right. We need the projects. You can bet the Government has a list of projects they would like to get done. We need that list and we need to be able to tackle projects on the list with minimal government support (er...interference ;))

A partnership model similiar to the one used by the BC Floatplane Association and BC Parks would work. The BC Floatplane Association was facing being prohibited to fly into BC Parks. With rounds of meetings they managed to present Parks with a collaborative plan. They put together a partnership proposal that would assist Parks with their work. The Association does remote site clean up, wildlife location reporting, informal sport fishing boat counts, and other activities that directly assist BC Parks with their mandate. Floatplane pilots can still use the parks and the Park Service sees tangible benefits to their operations because of it. There is a real partnership between the two organizations and other groups are getting involved.

As hunters we need to make those types of partnerships with the Government. We need to come to the table with a list of what resources and skills we have. We need to prove how we can use our resources and skills to assist the Govt. in wildlife and habitat management. We need to develop and propose a partnership plan with details of what we can do and how we will do it.

We need to be more than a voice at the table with an opinion...because, as has so recently been made evident, our voices don't count.

walks with deer
12-19-2017, 10:20 PM
organized grizz hunt..

limit time
12-19-2017, 10:25 PM
You guys don’t seem to get it.... it’s not about public image. These people a rabid ANTI GUN AND HUNTING!

Whonnock Boy
12-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Conversely, I don't believe you get it. These "rabid" anti hunters make up a very small percentage of the public. We need to target the 90% of the rational citizens who are open to reason and facts. Forget about the radicals, we will never change their minds,

You guys don’t seem to get it.... it’s not about public image. These people a rabid ANTI GUN AND HUNTING!

brownmancheng
12-19-2017, 10:37 PM
I think this is a great suggestion. I have been contemplating how we go about making an impact. I am more than willing to help.

I see many complaining we have no voice and that bcwf has shortcomings. We need an organization that represents us! well, we have one, it is the huntingbc community. Not sure how many members here but enough to make an impact. Time for us all to stop the in fighting and put our money where are mouths are!

If we all buck up surely we can come up with enough dough to do something whether it be:
a) hire PR company or pollsters to help public image
b) invest in bio or some.study
c) fund habitat restoration projects

thoughts or ideas??

cpwrestler
12-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Some good ideas for sure.

One major challenge will be to get the media attention. The right media attention.

Ducks Unlimited does a great job...no doubt. But they almost have to down-play the fact they are hunters or they suffer the wrath of the media (I saw one news item on DU and the reporter even said "In spite of being hunters, these Duck Unlimited volunteers are doing great work for the local wetlands..." The reporter just couldn't help it!!). Trout Unlimited don't have quite the same problem. Fishing has "social licence" (for now) so they can get the coverage.

Instead of having to suppress their general bias toward hunters in a piece about hunters helping habitat, the media will do much, much worse...they will ignore the story of hunters helping habitat.

You're right. We need the projects. You can bet the Government has a list of projects they would like to get done. We need that list and we need to be able to tackle projects on the list with minimal government support (er...interference ;))

A partnership model similiar to the one used by the BC Floatplane Association and BC Parks would work. The BC Floatplane Association was facing being prohibited to fly into BC Parks. With rounds of meetings they managed to present Parks with a collaborative plan. They put together a partnership proposal that would assist Parks with their work. The Association does remote site clean up, wildlife location reporting, informal sport fishing boat counts, and other activities that directly assist BC Parks with their mandate. Floatplane pilots can still use the parks and the Park Service sees tangible benefits to their operations because of it. There is a real partnership between the two organizations and other groups are getting involved.

As hunters we need to make those types of partnerships with the Government. We need to come to the table with a list of what resources and skills we have. We need to prove how we can use our resources and skills to assist the Govt. in wildlife and habitat management. We need to develop and propose a partnership plan with details of what we can do and how we will do it.

We need to be more than a voice at the table with an opinion...because, as has so recently been made evident, our voices don't count.

You're absolutely right about DU vs TU. I get that... That's why it's so important that the activities are accessible to families and locals. It's a long term plan that starts with changing the hearts and minds of our friends and neighbors. Non-threatening activities that we can invite non-hunters to participate in and to see what it means to give back. If enough locals participate... over and over... it becomes newsworthy. Writing press releases after these events is essential as well. It takes 45 minutes to put something together and you'd be surprised at how well they can work, even if it's just for small local stations/papers to start.

Changing public sentiment will take a LONG time, but this is the game the anti's have been playing. They press their message generation after generation and eventually we lose the kids who grow into adults who vote. Give the kids and families a way to connect with hunting and maybe in a generation we can win some minds back.

The anti's problem is that they don't actually back their words up with any real boots-on-the-ground action. We can and do. Then, when push comes to shove, and Joe average asks "who should I believe... this 'green' organization I've never heard of or the hunters who invited me to clean up the valley by my house?" we have a better chance of coming out ahead.

I didn't know about the float plane association, but that's a great example. BCWF needs to sit down and come up with a list of ways that we can contribute whether it's activities like the Spences Bridge sheep count or otherwise. The Pacific Salmon Foundation has found novel ways of incorporating citizen science into their research. Why can't we do the same?

Bugle M In
12-20-2017, 01:20 AM

Nope...I don't think you get it either....
Yes, there will always be those Anti's and Vegans who will never listen, always fight, and always never be at rest!!
But, it doesn't mean there are others out there, who sit on the fence...
You know, the ones who really don't either care, or just never comes to their mind...
They worry more about the scratch on the car or what coffee to have at starbucks...
They don't even think about these things,......EXCEPT....
When it is spewed all over the television!!!
Hunts gone wrong! or what not...bloody pictures...you name it....
That's when they think about it...
That's when it tugs on their heartstrings....
There is nothing else out there to show them differently....
Unless they for some reason have wildtv....and then get to watch red neck clowns like the "bone collectors"...
(seriously...that's the name they want to give themselves???...no wonder, if that is what we are really about...
then you know what...they right...we should stop hunting!)
But it's not about that.....99.9 % of the time, it's not about that one bit.
So, there is lots of room to show those that sit on the fence..."who we are and can be"
That we deserve to be out there...to continue on....to ensure that we are "socially accepted"!!

limit time
12-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Conversely, I don't believe you get it. These "rabid" anti hunters make up a very small percentage of the public. We need to target the 90% of the rational citizens who are open to reason and facts. Forget about the radicals, we will never change their minds,
Funny how the “10%” seem to call all the shots ? Most of the “90%” don’t give a shit and won’t help.

limit time
12-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Nope...I don't think you get it either....
Yes, there will always be those Anti's and Vegans who will never listen, always fight, and always never be at rest!!
But, it doesn't mean there are others out there, who sit on the fence...
You know, the ones who really don't either care, or just never comes to their mind...
They worry more about the scratch on the car or what coffee to have at starbucks...
They don't even think about these things,......EXCEPT....
When it is spewed all over the television!!!
Hunts gone wrong! or what not...bloody pictures...you name it....
That's when they think about it...
That's when it tugs on their heartstrings....
There is nothing else out there to show them differently....
Unless they for some reason have wildtv....and then get to watch red neck clowns like the "bone collectors"...
(seriously...that's the name they want to give themselves???...no wonder, if that is what we are really about...
then you know what...they right...we should stop hunting!)
But it's not about that.....99.9 % of the time, it's not about that one bit.
So, there is lots of room to show those that sit on the fence..."who we are and can be"
That we deserve to be out there...to continue on....to ensure that we are "socially accepted"!!

you insulting the people who hunt like me and other “rednecks” is garbage.
How would you like us to look, act and hunt ? Should we close all picture threads and posts that say killed and not harvested ?
Those people who are on the fence are most likely our family? What have they done for ya?
Hunting to me is a RIGHT no a privilege or sport.... ( this doesn’t mean I’ll break the law)

finaddict
12-20-2017, 09:10 AM
you insulting the people who hunt like me and other “rednecks” is garbage.
How would you like us to look, act and hunt ? Should we close all picture threads and posts that say killed and not harvested ?
Those people who are on the fence are most likely our family? What have they done for ya?
Hunting to me is a RIGHT no a privilege or sport.... ( this doesn’t mean I’ll break the law)The unfortunate statement in here is "right". The only part of any Canadian law that identifies hunting rights is the Constitution and unless you have status, your access to hunting is defined as a privilege granted to you by the Crown with the issuance of a hunting license and the necessary tags for the harvest of the species of your choice. . The same is true for fishing and the same requirements. We can demand that this is a right all we want, but unless you have it changed in Canadian Law (not likely anytime soon with present public sentiment) you will be tilting at windmills.

I agree with previous suggestions of ways to take advantage of our boots on the ground. Perhaps a method of providing the ministry with an informal wildlife reporting system. Certainly it would not be rocket science, but I believe that the ministry could use more information from those boots on the ground. I believe we need to provide more than the Ministry's mailed out surveys sent to us to volunteer information sent back for non-compulsory reporting. I am suggesting an on line system for voluntary reporting of wildlife seen and harvested in whichever M.U. you were in. This could include ungulate and cervid sightings, any and all predators seen, rare or endangered species sighted, other hunter activity, or even a section for vandalism, possible poachers, industrial violations, etc. The best way to get as much information as possible would be an on-line reporting system available to anyone with a BCid number for licenses. I think it should be promoted by the BCWF. Detailed information should be 100% confidential and not available for public use, but general summaries of numbers of reports, numbers of licenses giving those reports and total sightings by region and species would be beneficial to the general public to see how much we can contribute to being watchdogs of the outdoors. I certainly would have no problem contributing and being on line, it would be convenient for hunters and already in a format for easy analysis for Ministry biologists.

We all know there are not enough CO's on the ground to have any real impact. But with over 100,000 of us, we have an opportunity to be the true stewards of the wild places, report our activities as well as other activities of a nefarious nature and we should do our best to be the ambassadors for its protection and proper use.

cpwrestler
12-20-2017, 10:38 AM
The unfortunate statement in here is "right". The only part of any Canadian law that identifies hunting rights is the Constitution and unless you have status, your access to hunting is defined as a privilege granted to you by the Crown with the issuance of a hunting license and the necessary tags for the harvest of the species of your choice. . The same is true for fishing and the same requirements. We can demand that this is a right all we want, but unless you have it changed in Canadian Law (not likely anytime soon with present public sentiment) you will be tilting at windmills.

I agree with previous suggestions of ways to take advantage of our boots on the ground. Perhaps a method of providing the ministry with an informal wildlife reporting system. Certainly it would not be rocket science, but I believe that the ministry could use more information from those boots on the ground. I believe we need to provide more than the Ministry's mailed out surveys sent to us to volunteer information sent back for non-compulsory reporting. I am suggesting an on line system for voluntary reporting of wildlife seen and harvested in whichever M.U. you were in. This could include ungulate and cervid sightings, any and all predators seen, rare or endangered species sighted, other hunter activity, or even a section for vandalism, possible poachers, industrial violations, etc. The best way to get as much information as possible would be an on-line reporting system available to anyone with a BCid number for licenses. I think it should be promoted by the BCWF. Detailed information should be 100% confidential and not available for public use, but general summaries of numbers of reports, numbers of licenses giving those reports and total sightings by region and species would be beneficial to the general public to see how much we can contribute to being watchdogs of the outdoors. I certainly would have no problem contributing and being on line, it would be convenient for hunters and already in a format for easy analysis for Ministry biologists.

We all know there are not enough CO's on the ground to have any real impact. But with over 100,000 of us, we have an opportunity to be the true stewards of the wild places, report our activities as well as other activities of a nefarious nature and we should do our best to be the ambassadors for its protection and proper use.

I think the data we can provide is a huge asset. Providing that data to the government has the potential to store up some good will, but I think we'd have more public impact by working directly with university researchers. They're always looking for sets of data they can use to conduct studies.

For example, trail cam data could be used to help determine population density or movement patterns across large areas. I think about the thread on HBC a few months ago showing the trail cam footage from on top of a mountain. No researcher could afford to do that in several remote areas over multiple years... We can. In exchange, all we'd ask for would be recognition for how the data was collected. Then we get the researchers on our side. The same ones who end up being the government biologists who influence policy.

I think this is a major difference between Canada and the States. You look at who makes up their wildlife departments and for the most part it's people who recognize the importance and contribution of hunting and who often hunt themselves. In my experience that's not the case whatsoever here. It's the non-hunting eco-types. We can help change that by actively courting masters students looking for thesis topics by helping them get the data they need to do their research and showing them how much we care. At the same time we introduce them to the mind of the hunter, the lengths we go to, the process involved, and the passion we have.

This is another long-term angle but we need advocates in every corner possible.

finaddict
12-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Good ideas CP. I think these are all proposals that should be refined and meted out and then proposed to both current and future biologists. It would be important to offer this to the right people and get an agreement in place that could then be issued in a news release for public consumption. If we are going to put our asses out there, we need the recognition that comes with it.

Grumpa Joe
12-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately the governments pander to the loud, alternate lifestyle groups. The numbers are already there. Check the Auditor General's report which the government ignored. Look at all the fisheries biologists who spoke up and were either dismissed or stifled by the Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Antis make up statistics to support their position. Yesterday on Facebook an individual asserted that deaths from grizzly attacks in BC amount to 3 since 1850. A quick search and I found a scientific, peer reviewed study completed in 1999 by 2 researchers from the U of C that had hard and fast numbers that showed that there were 8 deaths between the years 1960 and 1997. We keep being portrayed as Neanderthals and murders and unfortunately the sensationalists prey on this image. I tell as many friends and people that will listen and they are totally unaware of the situation. They are oblivious to where their meat comes from and the conditions that domestic cattle and poultry are raised in. They think that killing something is barbaric until I point out that the meat that they are eating had to be killed as well, usually more inhumanely than anything a hunter would do. They become understanding when I explain but they then go about their lives. I think we need to speak out but not be surprised when we get resistance and criticism. Saying it with votes seemingly is the best recourse. As much as I hated the Liberals they at least were somewhat reasonable with respect to hunting. Not perfect but there is no point in revisiting those issues considering the challenges we now face.

Ltbullken
12-20-2017, 02:03 PM
I think this is a great suggestion. I have been contemplating how we go about making an impact. I am more than willing to help.

I see many complaining we have no voice and that bcwf has shortcomings. We need an organization that represents us! well, we have one, it is the huntingbc community. Not sure how many members here but enough to make an impact. Time for us all to stop the in fighting and put our money where are mouths are!

If we all buck up surely we can come up with enough dough to do something whether it be:
a) hire PR company or pollsters to help public image
b) invest in bio or some.study
c) fund habitat restoration projects

thoughts or ideas??

I'd like to see the BCWF and GOABC organize town hall meetings with the local F&G clubs so that we can start mapping out a strategy in each of our communities. I see it as vital that we focus on:

1. Our image.
2. Community engagement - speaking to the public and educating them on the principles of wildlife management and the role of science.
3. PR - through doing the above and undertaking conservation and habitat restoration projects.
4. Political engagement - we need to remind the politicians that we are a voice and a force to be reckoned with.

Start writing to the BCWF. They did town hall meetings when the allocation debate was in full force. I think this situation is way more important than allocation at this time.

Ryo
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM
I'd like to see the BCWF and GOABC organize town hall meetings with the local F&G clubs so that we can start mapping out a strategy in each of our communities. I see it as vital that we focus on:

1. Our image.
2. Community engagement - speaking to the public and educating them on the principles of wildlife management and the role of science.
3. PR - through doing the above and undertaking conservation and habitat restoration projects.
4. Political engagement - we need to remind the politicians that we are a voice and a force to be reckoned with.

Start writing to the BCWF. They did town hall meetings when the allocation debate was in full force. I think this situation is way more important than allocation at this time.
In terms of image, the smartest thing to be done would be a)make this forum private, or b)conduct ourselves as though we're in a public forum, under public scrutiny, which we are.

The banter on here, though it helps work through issues that pertain to us (er, sometimes), is not always conducive to good public image.

willyqbc
12-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Perhaps we need to take a page from the FN's playbook.....

step 1 - go shoot grizzly bear
step 2 - wait around to get arrested and charged for it
step 3 - make sure you have a good human rights lawyer allready on retainer
step 4 - mortgage your and your childrens life to be able to afford to fight it all the way to the supreme court

I know....sounds kind of stupid right? BUT.....are we not being discriminated against based on the color of our skin? The way around this in the past was we always had some sort of opportunity, but now the FN can go out and do something we can't participate in based on our race. What would happen if moose hunting was closed to everyone except white anglo saxon males??? How about no asians allowed for the spring bear hunt?How is this any different?

This is a racist policy and we are being discriminated against. Problem is the money it would take to sue the govt for discrimination.

Anyone even know how to file a human rights complaint?

Chris

eric
12-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Question.
If the Natives that own outfitter business that cater to grizzly hunting, can they still sell Grizzly hunts to non Natives ?

Whonnock Boy
12-20-2017, 03:23 PM
They can, and will do whatever they wish. Watch for the headlines when it starts to happen.

Question.
If the Natives that own outfitter business that cater to grizzly hunting, can they still sell Grizzly hunts to non Natives ?

finaddict
12-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Perhaps we need to take a page from the FN's playbook.....

step 1 - go shoot grizzly bear
step 2 - wait around to get arrested and charged for it
step 3 - make sure you have a good human rights lawyer allready on retainer
step 4 - mortgage your and your childrens life to be able to afford to fight it all the way to the supreme court

I know....sounds kind of stupid right? BUT.....are we not being discriminated against based on the color of our skin? The way around this in the past was we always had some sort of opportunity, but now the FN can go out and do something we can't participate in based on our race. What would happen if moose hunting was closed to everyone except white anglo saxon males??? How about no asians allowed for the spring bear hunt?How is this any different?

This is a racist policy and we are being discriminated against. Problem is the money it would take to sue the govt for discrimination.

Anyone even know how to file a human rights complaint?

ChrisUnfortunately while it is clearly a race- based separation of laws in this country, that is not how the supreme court of Canada sees it. The judgements over the past 30 years have been tied to the Constitution that Selfie-boy's arrogant old man rammed down our throats. Signed by all 10 provinces both territories and FN's , it is what they have as their guideline to base all decisions since then. It distinctly identifies Indians right to hunt and fish on their "traditional territories". the really sad part about the Constitution (other than the entire document) is the vagueness in which it was written. This was done on purpose to force the courts to determine how this would be played out across the country. With most of the justices having been appointed by the several Liberal governments of the previous 20 years before the Constitution, we had very liberal justices who translated the Constitution in a manner that very much favoured the Indians. So much so and with so many precedence that, for the most part, judges following had no choice but to uphold the judgements or the previous justices. The constitution started out with separating us based on race, and the courts have had no choice but uphold the Constitution as they have deciphered it.

It sucks, its raced based and it holds a very small minority in a position of first class citizens in the eyes of the law. But unless you are in some way able to persuade The Feds, 10 provinces, 3 territories and all the FN's to agree to amend it, this is the sad and sorry ways of the land that we are stuck with. For myself, I see no value in Confederation anymore and wish we in the West would start to consider seceding from it. Then re-write our own constitution that holds all people of all races creeds and colours equal in the eyes of the law with no favouritism based on race.

cpwrestler
12-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately the governments pander to the loud, alternate lifestyle groups. The numbers are already there. Check the Auditor General's report which the government ignored. Look at all the fisheries biologists who spoke up and were either dismissed or stifled by the Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Antis make up statistics to support their position. Yesterday on Facebook an individual asserted that deaths from grizzly attacks in BC amount to 3 since 1850. A quick search and I found a scientific, peer reviewed study completed in 1999 by 2 researchers from the U of C that had hard and fast numbers that showed that there were 8 deaths between the years 1960 and 1997. We keep being portrayed as Neanderthals and murders and unfortunately the sensationalists prey on this image. I tell as many friends and people that will listen and they are totally unaware of the situation. They are oblivious to where their meat comes from and the conditions that domestic cattle and poultry are raised in. They think that killing something is barbaric until I point out that the meat that they are eating had to be killed as well, usually more inhumanely than anything a hunter would do. They become understanding when I explain but they then go about their lives. I think we need to speak out but not be surprised when we get resistance and criticism. Saying it with votes seemingly is the best recourse. As much as I hated the Liberals they at least were somewhat reasonable with respect to hunting. Not perfect but there is no point in revisiting those issues considering the challenges we now face.

Paralyzer you misunderstand me. I know the numbers are there. That's not the point. The point is that in addition to our friends and neighbours being exposed to the benefit that hunting provides through accessible community based initiatives, we need to win over the hearts and minds of the students, researchers, and academics who end up being responsible for crafting policy down the road.

They need to experience and participate in the positive contribution hunters make so that A: they come to our side, and B: we have a list of independent academic research that we can refer to as concrete evidence of our outsized contribution to wildlife research and conservation rather than the typical "hunters care more than anyone else." How much better does it sound to say "we care more than anyone else as evidenced by the XX studies bcwf members have contributed to as citizen scientists."

I like the idea of town halls with BCWF and local fish and game associations. This would be a great opportunity to identify the small, medium, and large opportunities for on-the-ground initiatives.

And I know this is probably a pipe dream but lets stay on topic for once. The thread is about ideas for moving forward, not complaining about battles we can't win (e.g. FN), what the competition is doing (anti's), or why we can't win.

Hunter gatherer
12-20-2017, 04:39 PM
One way to improve our public image is for people to stop filming and using social media to display their hunting prowess. Read two news stories today ( cougar in Alberta deer on the island) which portrayed hunters in a bad light. There are lots of ways to improve our image but showing dead animals to the general public isn't one of them.

Bugle M In
12-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Moving forward?????
Yup, opinions are needed....and sometimes opinions are up to debate...discussion...criticism...
All normal stuff when it comes to "trying to come up with some positive ideas...strategies"
But, .....not the way it's going right now....
I am really left with little to offer....which sounds like might be to somes "approval"??
If hunting was a "Right"...then the GBear hunt would never had been banned...
If it was a "Right"...we could fight the decision in court.
Don't get me wrong...I wish it was a Right.....but it isn't!....so don't go down the path that it will be a right,
just because you say so.
I do hope one of these threads does "Ignite into something positive".....
Looking forward to when we can all start working together....
You know..."Bouncing" some ideas off of each other....Not "Bashing" ideas of each other....
Still waiting for the real Fire to begin....

AlexPdHJ
12-20-2017, 05:43 PM
As someone who grew up in an anti-gun non- hunting household I came to hunting later in life as an adult. The main thing I want to say is that non-hunters from the cities are the undecided voters in the anti-hunting vs. Hunters debate. We need to convince the average non-hunter that we are a better side to support than the anti-Hunting activist. So how do we do that?

First I think we need to identify two groups. One is who we can recruit to become hunters and the other is who we can get as allies, but who are unlikely to ever become hunters. Once we have these people and groups identified then we need a targeted strategy to get them on our side.

The first group, the people who may want to become hunters, need a targeted outreach. The two largest groups are foodies and organic food enthusiasts. With all the food shows on TV celebrating and fetishizing food, hunting for exotic meats is a logical next step for urban hipster hunters. That’s part of the reason I got into hunting. I can honestly say Gordon Ramsey and his show the F word played a role in my desire to learn to hunt. Also in this group of possible future hunters is firearm owners. People who love guns are a good group to tap for new hunters. There are tons of gun nuts who have never given hunting a second thought, but could become hunters with the right outreach. I am sure there are other people who fall into this group

The second group is those who are we can get on our side but are unlikely to hunt. That includes people who are your non-hunting friends and family. It could include outdoor groups who enjoy the back country. It could be any number of groups and people. I think we can use our advocacy for habitat and conservation to win a lot of this support.

Anyways, we need a plan and strategy to achieve goals. We won’t get what we want without more of the non-hunting public on our side.

brownmancheng
12-20-2017, 10:18 PM

1. Our image.

Thanks for the reply.. I think this is a great idea to get all related clubs and organizations working together in a focused manner. BCWF I believe has a good public image but it's public presence needs to.be increased.
Couple of thoughts
-The previous town hall was poorly attended (in the lower mainland at least)
-Not much media or political coverage .

Some of my take aways from the town hall were

that BCWF needed to better at getting the word out or being more mainstream
ie. Twitter Facebook Instagram presence. and the creating of memes or graphics that portray their message and that can be easily shared

-town hall should have been webcast or uploaded to YouTube to reach greater audience

I also just visited the BCWF site and it still has their response to the NDPs initial announcement it was considering the GB ban. No update on the recent news.
They also have a petition at the bottom of page regarding asking the gov to invest in wildlife. This is a great petition but it only had 8000 votes. For an organization with 50000 members that is not acceptable.

These kinds of things need to be pushed like organizations like sumOFus or change.org with spam.mail going out daily and a heavy web presence.

I get the feeling BCWF although it has great intentions is a bit behind the times. I think they could really use a PR marketing company or individual to bring them into this millenia.

To do this we need money, we all spend a lot to go hunting we need to buck up here.

If anyone thinks this is a good starting place or has another idea let's hear it. I will put the first $500 in the pot to get started.....

leadpillproductions
12-20-2017, 11:34 PM
Hunters need to stand together , even after the ban there still pissing matches on this site , Not hard to defeat hunters if we cant even get our shit together. Dam tree huggers can do it . All we do is fight amongst our own.

nature girl
12-21-2017, 06:37 AM
It may sound kind of stupid but if we want all of B.C to see how many hunters here we have in B.C we should pick a day and wear camo. Tell your friends, co workers , family etc.
Could you imagine if you were a suit and type kind of guy normally or a lady in a dress that goes to work like that and then you show up in camo. Of course people are going to start talking and that is when you tell them yes you are a hunter and why etc. And why you think they shouldn't of closed the grizzly LEH.
I know at work I wear camo hoodies or my camo hunting jacket no big deal at work as they all know I hunt but its at lunch when I go out to lunch that is when I get the looks.
That was just my small idea.

Iron Glove
12-21-2017, 11:15 AM
It may sound kind of stupid but if we want all of B.C to see how many hunters here we have in B.C we should pick a day and wear camo. Tell your friends, co workers , family etc.
Could you imagine if you were a suit and type kind of guy normally or a lady in a dress that goes to work like that and then you show up in camo. Of course people are going to start talking and that is when you tell them yes you are a hunter and why etc. And why you think they shouldn't of closed the grizzly LEH.
I know at work I wear camo hoodies or my camo hunting jacket no big deal at work as they all know I hunt but its at lunch when I go out to lunch that is when I get the looks.
That was just my small idea.

I'm a "suit" or at least was pre retirement and I was wearing camo in the office years ago. :lol:
At the time I was either the Company President and CEO or Managing Director / Partner so it was easy to do if I wanted to.
Would also wear a nice camo shirt to various meetings which raised a few queries.
All my staff knew I was a hunter as did most in the Industry, never a problem.
They all knew me, respected me and I was a relatively quiet, polite kinda guy, not the "image" that many had of hunters at the time.
Heck, I even discussed hunting with a Federal Court Judge during a settlement conference, he was a "Laurentian Elite" and I was a poor East Van Boy but we had a common interest.
I agree, wearing a bit of camo will often start a discussion and once you get them talking, you've got a chance.
Realistically, most non hunters do not oppose hunting, at worst they are ambivalent about it, we just have to make sure that those folks see hunters as their co-workers, neighbours and such.

Wild one
12-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Funny how the “10%” seem to call all the shots ? Most of the “90%” don’t give a shit and won’t help.

This is what social media has caused. It gave a platform for the loud minority to speak and push their agenda. They can blanket their opinions and miss information all over the internet. This has helped them link with those who share their views and spread misinformation to those who will not take the time to research if it’s correct or not

When those who are opposed to the views being pushed against do not push back because they feel facts will protect them they are not heard

Then add in the majority that are not for or against that don’t get involved

This makes that minority seem like the majority because their voice is drowning out all others

Silence and lack of effort pushing back is where hunters will keep looking. If we don’t create a stronger voice the grizz hunt is just a start