PDA

View Full Version : Turkey season is coming

btridge
12-17-2017, 11:07 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/thumbs/M2_008_x_50_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=34880&title=btridge-turkeys&cat=501)
This winter has been very mild so far and the local turkeys are doing very well...hard to tell this years chicks from the older birds....looking good for the upcoming season.

.300WSMImpact!
12-17-2017, 05:28 PM
one of my favourite hunts

Dlo11
12-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Would love to go for turkey but wouldn't know where to begin

btridge
12-18-2017, 04:11 AM

I have been seeing more and more turkeys over the last few years. Without looking to hard, I have seen dozens of flocks rangeing from Christina Lake to Elko. On a short trip from Creston to Trail last week, my wife and I saw 8 different flocks.

archerylife
12-19-2017, 05:51 AM
any body have tips for a newbie? seen lots of birds around radium but i'm from the caribou that's a bit of a drive anything good closer?

shortrange
12-19-2017, 06:49 AM
I checked the regs and the season starts April 15 in parts of Regions 4, 8. Am I missing something?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/thumbs/M2_008_x_50_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=34880&title=btridge-turkeys&cat=501)
This winter has been very mild so far and the local turkeys are doing very well...hard to tell this years chicks from the older birds....looking good for the upcoming season.

Brez
12-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Hurry before they ban this one as well!!

303savage
12-19-2017, 11:13 AM
My daughter lives in Trail and I told her we had seen a few turkeys on the way down to her place. She said if I wanted to see lots of turkeys just go to the garbage dump.

btridge
01-02-2018, 12:07 PM
I checked the regs and the season starts April 15 in parts of Regions 4, 8. Am I missing something?
No, not missing anything, just like to hunt turkeys and really like what I am seeing so far on the survival of this years hatch and thus I'm looking forward to this spring season....

cz858
01-03-2018, 12:43 AM
Got my first turkey last year north of grand forks while deer hunting. I didn't get a deer but was very pleased with the bird.

btridge
03-18-2018, 07:37 AM
The Turkeys are gobbleing. While out spotting for critters yesterday, I heard some a few miles from here. This morning, I awoke to Turkey gobbles....spring has arrived.

Last year the gobbles came early, March 09. This years first gobbles are closer to the norm coming on March, 17.

Brez
03-18-2018, 09:19 AM
My daughter lives in Trail and I told her we had seen a few turkeys on the way down to her place. She said if I wanted to see lots of turkeys just go to the garbage dump.
Last count was 86 - that from the guys that work there.

Brez
03-18-2018, 09:23 AM
The season is more on time this year but there is a TON of snow and it's pretty rotten, which makes it hard to get around. The snow is going fast though. Right now, if you don't see turkeys, you can look for their trails. The have been a lot getting whacked on the highways. I had a flock fly over my truck as I drove one day and I could hear their wings hitting the top of my canopy

btridge
02-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Saw a flock of turkeys today (56 birds), all hens it appeared, not a long beard or jake to be seen. The other day, I was up by Duck lake, 12 to 15 Jakes in a small flock...didn't get a chance to count them...Looks like a good turkey crop survived the winter again this year...Creston valley.

Darksith
02-25-2019, 11:48 AM
I have been practicing my calls for a few months now. Not that I really know what I am doing. Also bought a shotgun with a turkey choke. I have never hunted turkeys, but I think I have a few friends who know of people with property in the west koots.

That being said, if anyone ever wants to give me a few tips, or let me come along for a hunt, I would love to learn a few things.

HighCountryBC
02-25-2019, 12:06 PM
I have been practicing my calls for a few months now. Not that I really know what I am doing. Also bought a shotgun with a turkey choke. I have never hunted turkeys, but I think I have a few friends who know of people with property in the west koots.

That being said, if anyone ever wants to give me a few tips, or let me come along for a hunt, I would love to learn a few things.

Turkeys really are pretty easy. If you can call fairly effectively you can kill a bird. Quick version that has worked for me for the last 15 years.

I usually locate birds in the evening before they go to roost. If you have a known roost tree the birds really don't stand much of a chance. I have called lots of birds in both during the late afternoon and evening but I am not nearly as aggressive in the evening. It's more of a location thing to pin them down for the morning. If you are able to roost a gobbler then it is game on the next day.

Once roosted, I slip out and make sure I am back in there well before first light. Sneak in quietly to within a few hundred yards of the roost tree and set up the decoys. Once I'm settled, a few hen calls will almost always get them fired up. I find the majority of birds are out of the roost within 30-45 minutes after first light.

Turkeys are extremely habitual. They follow the same routes day after day so it's important to learn what they are. They love green areas that are recently free of snow. I see them very high in elevation each spring following the melt.

Darksith
02-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Turkeys really are pretty easy. If you can call fairly effectively you can kill a bird. Quick version that has worked for me for the last 15 years.

I usually locate birds in the evening before they go to roost. If you have a known roost tree the birds really don't stand much of a chance. I have called lots of birds in both during the late afternoon and evening but I am not nearly as aggressive in the evening. It's more of a location thing to pin them down for the morning. If you are able to roost a gobbler then it is game on the next day.

Once roosted, I slip out and make sure I am back in there well before first light. Sneak in quietly to within a few hundred yards of the roost tree and set up the decoys. Once I'm settled, a few hen calls will almost always get them fired up. I find the majority of birds are out of the roost within 30-45 minutes after first light.

Turkeys are extremely habitual. They follow the same routes day after day so it's important to learn what they are. They love green areas that are recently free of snow. I see them very high in elevation each spring following the melt.
Thanks,

Biggest thing is locating them when you don't live in the area's they are found. Hard to scout for a turkey, but I will be going for a hunt this year. May is when I was thinking, as spring approaches I will keep tabs on snow levels and maybe adjust the "when"

Brez
02-25-2019, 01:13 PM

This is all great info guys. Spend time locating and then you hunt the next day. You can always glass and stalk - one of my favorite and grueling ways. There are lots of posts on techniques and locations

HighCountryBC
02-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Thanks,

Biggest thing is locating them when you don't live in the area's they are found. Hard to scout for a turkey, but I will be going for a hunt this year. May is when I was thinking, as spring approaches I will keep tabs on snow levels and maybe adjust the "when"

A day is usually plenty to get things figured out with turkeys. Gas lines, meadows and semi-open hillsides are some of their favorite feeding areas. One thing I've learned is to not overlook the steep stuff.

ab3
02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
What's it like in terms of competition from other hunters? I've read various Washington state threads that talk about seeing tons of other hunters out and at times they end up calling for the same bird. This seems unlikely given how much habitat there is out there, but does this happen often in BC?

Brez
02-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Hey! I would like to hear all your opinions on increasing the bag limit on turkeys. I'm thinking 2 toms in spring and two any sex in autumn. We have a shitload of them and there are presently nuisance permits given out to kill up to 30 per person, per season. I feel that this would make it more worthwhile for people who would have to travel and the season could go for more than one morning. should I have started a new thread?

Bubbacanuck
02-25-2019, 07:08 PM
I am glad to see others getting excited about turkey season. I’ve honestly been waiting all year for April to come and can’t wait to try and bag one. It’s my first season so I’m giving myself ample time as I have no idea really where to go. April 12-21 so a few days to scout and lots of hunting time right at the start of the season. My birthday is April 14 so I’m hoping for a gobbler for Easter haha

LBM
02-25-2019, 08:16 PM
Hey! I would like to hear all your opinions on increasing the bag limit on turkeys. I'm thinking 2 toms in spring and two any sex in autumn. We have a shitload of them and there are presently nuisance permits given out to kill up to 30 per person, per season. I feel that this would make it more worthwhile for people who would have to travel and the season could go for more than one morning. should I have started a new thread?

Dont no if the bag limit needs to be increased for most of the problem areas are were there is no hunting allowed. In many of the huntable areas the population is not that high. Now your area may be different. Im curious who is getting nuisance permits to kill 30 birds per person. Is it on land that is open to hunting in regular seasons.

HighCountryBC
02-25-2019, 08:43 PM
What's it like in terms of competition from other hunters? I've read various Washington state threads that talk about seeing tons of other hunters out and at times they end up calling for the same bird. This seems unlikely given how much habitat there is out there, but does this happen often in BC?

Just like elk hunting in the Kootenays. If you're hunting the easiest access, front country stuff you will run into hunters. A little thinking outside the box and you'll have it to yourself.

Could definitely go for an increase in bag limits on birds. It's an underutilized hunt just like antlerless whitetail.

Brez
02-26-2019, 12:11 AM
Dont no if the bag limit needs to be increased for most of the problem areas are were there is no hunting allowed. In many of the huntable areas the population is not that high. Now your area may be different. Im curious who is getting nuisance permits to kill 30 birds per person. Is it on land that is open to hunting in regular seasons.
Sorry , I should have said it's a guy's private land. Realize that these birds are not native and we don't know the full impact of them being here even though they are huge fun to hunt. I have noticed that the government is raising the limits on all non-native fish in our region. Turleys are very prolific and unless a predator figures them out they will keep multiplying.

Bubbacanuck
02-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Sorry , I should have said it's a guy's private land. Realize that these birds are not native and we don't know the full impact of them being here even though they are huge fun to hunt. I have noticed that the government is raising the limits on all non-native fish in our region. Turleys are very prolific and unless a predator figures them out they will keep multiplying.

It would make the hunting way more worth it for me personally, as it is a lot of travel to only get one bird. It seems as though the species is doing quite well and likely could do with a bit more pressure. Once a CWTF chapter gets set up in B.C., hopefully there will be more investment into studies that can provide the government with data to go by.

pnbrock
02-26-2019, 08:49 AM
my son has turned 10 recently i think this would be a great opportunity to get his feet wet.if any members would be willing to throw a bone my way sure appreciated..

Brez
02-26-2019, 12:04 PM
my son has turned 10 recently i think this would be a great opportunity to get his feet wet.if any members would be willing to throw a bone my way sure appreciated..
Trail/Castlegar to Elko.

LBM
02-26-2019, 12:15 PM
Were abouts are you looking to go, east or west Kootenays.

LBM
02-26-2019, 12:18 PM
And that is part of the problem there on private land, and in many towns so cant be legally hunted. In many areas of the EK on crown land there not as populated as they use to be.

pnbrock
02-26-2019, 08:08 PM
not real sure where to start as I've always thought it was one hell of an expensive turkey.open to all the advise of the professionals for places to hunt.thx again

Wingman
03-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Might work but I would like to see rules like Washington State. Tags, no Rim fire, and only one Tom per day per person. Do you know of anybody who has utilized the nuisance permit?

Looks like it will be a late start this year Work those south facing slopes the birds should be hanging close to the warm ground.

Have fun out there

Grant

Krico
03-07-2019, 09:20 PM
not super common but it happens. A couple years ago I roosted several birds, went back before first light with buddy and both our boys. As we were working the birds hoping the boys could shoot (we could’ve shot ourselves) some guy walks in past my parked truck and shoots the gobbler. There is no way he didn’t know we were there, calling, decoy setup etc. but nothing you can do. He looked pretty sheepish when 2 little kids with sad faces walked past him on the way out...

Krico
03-07-2019, 09:29 PM

I would support this if they weren’t classified as upland game birds allowing equal access to out of province hunters. I have travelled 8-12 hours each direction every year to hunt turkeys with a single bird limit. This will be the first year my son has his own limit so for the first time in a while I may get a chance to shoot one.
Also I would agree with others that the east Kootenays population has been hammered with tough winters and bird numbers there are way down.
Turkey hunting is my favourite hunt, they are very challenging if you are not local or hunting private land, and tons of fun calling etc.

btridge
03-07-2019, 09:38 PM
I would support this if they weren’t classified as upland game birds allowing equal access to out of province hunters. I have travelled 8-12 hours each direction every year to hunt turkeys with a single bird limit. This will be the first year my son has his own limit so for the first time in a while I may get a chance to shoot one.
Also I would agree with others that the east Kootenays population has been hammered with tough winters and bird numbers there are way down.
Turkey hunting is my favourite hunt, they are very challenging if you are not local or hunting private land, and tons of fun calling etc.

stop by for a beer this year, birds have wintered well

Krico
03-07-2019, 10:14 PM
I will for sure. Still waiting to on my buddy to confirm if he and his son can make it and thus determine accommodation needs...may be calling you ahead of time!
Good to hear about the birds!

btridge
03-07-2019, 10:46 PM
I will for sure. Still waiting to on my buddy to confirm if he and his son can make it and thus determine accommodation needs...may be calling you ahead of time!
Good to hear about the birds!

We donated a weeks rental on the Hunter heritage raffle put on by weatherby fan, cost you $20 for a chance....you never know Eh.

btridge
03-20-2019, 07:54 AM
March 18th this year the turkeys are a gobbling !

Bubbacanuck
03-20-2019, 10:15 AM
I heard the same is happening near Invermere! April 15th can't come soon enough!!

March 18th this year the turkeys are a gobbling !

boxhitch
03-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Sorry , I should have said it's a guy's private land. Realize that these birds are not native and we don't know the full impact of them being here even though they are huge fun to hunt. I have noticed that the government is raising the limits on all non-native fish in our region. Turleys are very prolific and unless a predator figures them out they will keep multiplying.Had some interesting comments from our past regional bio at a meeting a few years ago. Reg 8 just got the new season, statement was that BC recognized the birds were invasive and in no way supported releases or relocations of the pest. When pinponted and asked why the restrictive bag limit his only answer was " to match the other regions". management at its finest

Would Rather Be Fishing
03-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Hmmm I just realized the regs allow turkey-hunting with a .22... Isn't that strange? Has anyone ever successfully done this? I have heard of several reports of turkey feathers stopping a .22, and turkeys surviving several hits by a .22 and flying away.

Bubbacanuck
03-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Hmmm I just realized the regs allow turkey-hunting with a .22... Isn't that strange? Has anyone ever successfully done this? I have heard of several reports of turkey feathers stopping a .22, and turkeys surviving several hits by a .22 and flying away.

head shots or shooting while in the roost I guess. Plus you can get them at a farther distance than the shotgun or bow

btridge
03-20-2019, 05:09 PM

I use a 22mag, never saw a turkey feather stop that. 1 and done.

rogerb
03-20-2019, 07:16 PM
22 mag here too. lots of leeway with hits and drops them on the spot. 22 lr can be a crap shoot with turkeys. turkeys on the move big time now. snow is retreating up the slopes with the birds right behind.

Brez
03-20-2019, 08:22 PM
have you ever been on the far side of a field, calling in turkeys when some guy drives by and opens up with a 22? Tends to pucker the ol' sphincter. I, personally, am not in favor of them for that reason. Besides the only thing that is fun or challenging about turkey hunting is getting close enough to see them blink.

Brez
03-20-2019, 08:27 PM
Had some interesting comments from our past regional bio at a meeting a few years ago. Reg 8 just got the new season, statement was that BC recognized the birds were invasive and in no way supported releases or relocations of the pest. When pinponted and asked why the restrictive bag limit his only answer was " to match the other regions". management at its finest
yeah, no balls................................again

rogerb
03-20-2019, 09:43 PM
have you ever been on the far side of a field, calling in turkeys when some guy drives by and opens up with a 22? Tends to pucker the ol' sphincter. I, personally, am not in favor of them for that reason. Besides the only thing that is fun or challenging about turkey hunting is getting close enough to see them blink.

no but have had a bowhunter above fort shepherd shoot my decoy then run away when I stood up and yelled...its not the weapon, its the guy or gal handling it. and for the record, last year's tom was shot in the neck at 20 yards with the 22 mag, bout blinking range I think - for a rifle, shottie or a bow. and from a treestand to boot. didn't feel like it was any less of a challenge than any other turkey hunts I've been on...have fun, be safe, kill a bird - enjoy the best hunt spring has to offer.

Brez
03-21-2019, 07:31 AM
no but have had a bowhunter above fort shepherd shoot my decoy then run away when I stood up and yelled...its not the weapon, its the guy or gal handling it. and for the record, last year's tom was shot in the neck at 20 yards with the 22 mag, bout blinking range I think - for a rifle, shottie or a bow. and from a treestand to boot. didn't feel like it was any less of a challenge than any other turkey hunts I've been on...have fun, be safe, kill a bird - enjoy the best hunt spring has to offer.

ha, ha. Would have loved to see the look on his face. Too bad you didn't get video footage.
Shooting from a tree stand at 20 yds is not what I was talking about though. Good for you.

sparkes3
03-21-2019, 06:04 PM
I won the prize donated by blacktail ridge so this year my sons and I will be be hunting gobblers for the first time ever.
Its going to be a great trip for sure.
Just got to learn how to call them before May 1st.

DeepJeep
03-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Castlegar has a turkey crossing sign... 😆 I would start around there

jan.wi97
03-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Family is camping up at Upper Arrow Lake.
Anything in the vicinity that is worth driving to?

Redthies
03-21-2019, 09:23 PM
stop by for a beer this year, birds have wintered well

Thats a nice offer, but I will be in the 4-8 within sight of the hospital I was born in. Pulled a delicious bird out of there on Oct 15, and will be back on April 15 +/-.

I take my 12 gauge and both my .22s. I’m going to use whatever the situation dictates. My scoped .22 will be the best for the meat, but if one struts up to my decoys, he can have a noggin full of #4 shot!

slowjo
03-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Last count was 86 - that from the guys that work there.

mmmmmmm........dump turkeys

Darksith
03-26-2019, 05:19 PM
any recommendations on a turkey decoy? Gobbler or hen? one or multiple?

Brez
03-26-2019, 06:31 PM
mmmmmmm........dump turkeys
What they told me was, "they are probably eating just as good of stuff as store-bought chickens" . I figure filled, black garbage bag decoys, and hi-vis vest camo! Some honkin' long beards on some of them!

Krico
03-26-2019, 06:43 PM
What do you guys use for locator calls?
I’ve tried most things, crow, owl, coyote etc and never gotten a response. Only turkey sounds - shaker gobble call, box call etc seem to get an answer for me.

Brez
03-26-2019, 07:32 PM
What do you guys use for locator calls?
I’ve tried most things, crow, owl, coyote etc and never gotten a response. Only turkey sounds - shaker gobble call, box call etc seem to get an answer for me.
I use a shaker but I've heard them answer to anything - car door, horn, shotgun, alarm clock, dog bark, sneeze, you name it.

HighCountryBC
03-26-2019, 08:06 PM
I use a shaker but I've heard them answer to anything - car door, horn, shotgun, alarm clock, dog bark, sneeze, you name it.

Same here. Truck alarm, coyote yipping, horn.

I use a crow call before they are out of the roost and that's always done the trick for me.

Akski
03-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Reading all the posts about the Turk's sure does get the fever roaring. If anyone is looking for some turkey company let me know I'll be hunting Region 4-4 to 4-6 and 4-20 to 4-23 opening week, would love to have coffee and talk turkey.

Bubbacanuck
03-28-2019, 12:54 PM
I will be out in Turkey country from April 12-21. I’m not dead set on a place yet but was thinking of starting near Rock Creek and heading east from there. Shoot me a PM if interested

Reading all the posts about the Turk's sure does get the fever roaring. If anyone is looking for some turkey company let me know I'll be hunting Region 4-4 to 4-6 and 4-20 to 4-23 opening week, would love to have coffee and talk turkey.

Darksith
03-28-2019, 02:12 PM
What are you guys using for shot for turkeys?
I bought a Browning Maxus with turkey choke...

Bubbacanuck
03-28-2019, 02:31 PM
What are you guys using for shot for turkeys?
I bought a Browning Maxus with turkey choke...

I have a Carlson’s longbeard choke with Winchester longbeard XR turkey shot #5. Truglo site on the Mossberg 535 12 gauge.

WintersHunt
03-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Id love to go turkey hunting with anyone in the Okanagan, never done it before. Anyone up to take a newbie out?

Krico
03-29-2019, 10:37 PM
I shoot 3.5” Winchester Longbeards XR #6, my choke is just the factory Mossberg turkey .670, the gun is a 535 ATS. They pattern good beyond 40 yards, and punch a solid hole with some spray at 20. I’m sure I could get more distance with an aftermarket choke but maybe next year. This year I upgraded from fiber optics to a reflex red dot site. I also get good pattern with Federal turkey loads and Kent turkey loads.
Winchester Supreme were terrible for me.

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-03-2019, 08:47 AM
PM me if you would like to connect this turkey season... right now I have plans to hunt the week of the 15th down south of the border... you get three birds and its where I am originally from. Good excuse to see family. If the stars align I should be hunting up here the weekend of the 19th but more likely taking a 4 day weekend around the 27th. Got twins due mid May so after that weekend I'm probably on lock down.

I have a good idea of where some birds are, but would be open to hunting new areas in BC. Get some more tips. We can maybe exchange a few places? If you know where birds are, I can help you figure out how to get to them...probably. And I I dont have to hunt them... but will even come tag along. Just let me know how you do if you dont want me to come! I like helping people out.
Started turkey hunting 7 years ago and just completed me grand slam, Osceola, Merriam, Rio, and Eastern. All DIY public hunts... actually never been with a guide. Meaning mostly self taught so not a pro but not an amateur.
This will be my first BC gobbler and hope to get an eastern in one of the other provinces in the next two years to close my Canadian slam.... Or go to Mexico for a Gould's or Ocellated.
Plan to carry a rifle to shoot a bear should the opportunity present itself, I know... probably a little early.

I have several chokes, but found my HS .665 turkey choke pattern the best with either the 3.5" Federal Super Mag Turkey Load #5 (Red box - Now discontinued?) or the 3.5" Winchester Longbeards XR #5 on my 870 Exp Super Mag. You can pattern your choke to your load or your load to the choke. Patterning your load to a choke is much cheaper. Helps if you have a friend with the same objective. You then each buy two boxes so you have four different loads between the two of you and go out shooting. Or have a friend that just did this and will give you some now useless rounds to them. I always keep the loads that dont pattern for if I change my choke, gun, or want to help out a friend. A lot of people like the heavi-shot blend load. It doesn't pattern well in my gun but I would recommend it for a Mossberg or Benelli.

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-03-2019, 08:58 AM
any recommendations on a turkey decoy? Gobbler or hen? one or multiple?

Decoys vary on time of season and situation. Early season... Get a big Tom Decoy out there! Especially on a year like this with the late melt. The birds arent broken up too much yet so the jakes will be ready to take on a Tom and the Tom's will want to set their dominance. Though if you want to scale it back you can use a jake or even a non-strutting jake. The later always being a good choice. Early season, pair that gobbler up with if not one, then two hens. Breeders are awesome too. Come May, I start thinking about putting the jake/Tom decoys away and just use a single hen. Jakes are tired off getting beat up and the Tom's just seam to be a little smarter... Do you want to kill a bird or see a show? Cuz you can leave your gobbler decoy out all season, just know eventually it has the potential to push birds away. Not having a decoy isnt a bad play either. Sometimes...sometimes a decoy will scare the birds. With no decoy they will look harder for the hen that was calling their name and usually be much more likely to come in range. Without a decoy though your camo needs to be head to toe, and your movement non existent. Just wait for the bird to tuck behind a tree or turn in strut to lift you gun. Or come in close enough that you can lift your gun and shoot before he runs out of range!

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-03-2019, 09:07 AM
QUOTE=Krico;2081936]What do you guys use for locator calls?
I’ve tried most things, crow, owl, coyote etc and never gotten a response. Only turkey sounds - shaker gobble call, box call etc seem to get an answer for me.[/QUOTE]

I've tried them all too. Here are my two cents.

Owl calls work great for birds on the roost. Late at night or early in the morning. When have you heard an owl at 2pm... rarely if ever. I will say owl calls are better in the SE United States. They have more owls than song birds down there it seams like.
Crow Call works all day long. But you usually have to be pretty close to the bird. Though I like to crow call into draws to get a shock gobble and that seams to work better than any other time.
Peacock works like a crow call. Its a different sound so it can get a gobble. This is like the door slamming, car alarm, etc. etc. Except its "natural"
Gobble works like a charm and a great one where there is less hunting pressure. Only because you gobble and another hunter may start hunting you... so be careful. Also, you may deter a submissive bird so I avoid this one in general.
Coyote dont like. Why sound like there predator?
Hen Yelp/Box - Best call possible during season only. DO NOT USE PRE-SEASON. When using a Yelp on a box to locate, be ready to set up. I've yelped on a box and had a bird 200yds away standing in my lap before I could sit down.

Redthies
04-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Kootenay boys and girls... where is the snow level at, and are the gobblers gobblin’ like crazy??

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-10-2019, 04:19 PM
4 days, 13 hours but who is counting :lol:.........

hawken
04-10-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm looking for a Turkey hunting partner within a couple hours of Windermere on the Easter weekend.
I have calls, decoys and some experience.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7373&stc=1

Redthies
04-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Nice bird hawken.

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-10-2019, 07:56 PM
I'm looking for a Turkey hunting partner within a couple hours of Windermere on the Easter weekend.

Ok, I’m in... if I can

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-10-2019, 11:29 PM
Seriously though... who’s not excited? “Where” and when y’all hunting some gobblers!

Bubbacanuck
04-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Seriously though... who’s not excited? “Where” and when y’all hunting some gobblers!

You know where I’m going :) and when...

rogerb
04-11-2019, 07:51 AM
snow has retreated a long ways up off the valley floors now giving the birds a lot of ground to disperse into. the big wintering flocks have long since broken up locally and you can bump birds just about any elevation as any south slope will have fresh green grass. and ticks. have fun. be safe.

Darksith
04-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Monday around Nelson! Lots of turkeys and if you ever have an opportunity to knock on someones door as a hunter looking for permission on private land, this I would reckon is your opportunity. Turkeys are considered a nuisance from what I am hearing by the locals, and they would welcome someone to take a few out. I feel like this is probably an easier time to get permission...less hunters about, than say in the fall. Maybe you can build a relationship that will carry on for years and seasons

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Monday around Nelson! Lots of turkeys and if you ever have an opportunity to knock on someones door as a hunter looking for permission on private land, this I would reckon is your opportunity. Turkeys are considered a nuisance from what I am hearing by the locals, and they would welcome someone to take a few out. I feel like this is probably an easier time to get permission...less hunters about, than say in the fall. Maybe you can build a relationship that will carry on for years and seasons

For the new people trying to get out hunting be respectful if you go this route....
1.) Take your camo off, at minimum your top
2.) Have a conversation with them, dont just go straight to "I want to hunt your turkeys"
3a.) If you can offer to help out on their property should they need it. I once got in a bucket on a farmers tractor, he raised me up into an apple tree, filled the bucket with apples and the man was grinning from ear to ear. Had to beg him to let me help. Once I did, I had first crack at his property every year after until he passed.
or
3b.) bring a treat or gift for them, a bottle of wine, smoked salmon, or other processed game you have can go a long ways. Being from the Westside, I always pack some salmon (smoked), halibut, crab/razor clams (if I have it), homemade jerky and a bottle of wine. Things I have too much of and aren't easliy accessible to them. Gives them a couple options to choose from.
4.) Ask about there expectations... what weapon they would prefer, where you can and can't shoot, do they have cattle or horses and are they ok with gun fire, do they want a feather, can you tell a friend (careful on the friend one, might wait a year)

These may sound dumb or obvious but they make a huge difference. If you set a good first impression it can open the door for a great future relationship and other hunters as well.

Akski
04-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Hawken, I'll be in the area during the week, if you're there be sure to drop me a line and maybe I can help.

Cheers,

bangbangkhan
04-11-2019, 11:28 PM
Well this will be my first Turkey hunt ever. Hopefully at the least I get to hear them if not see them lol

Krico
04-15-2019, 08:38 AM
I shot a nice Tom in the face this morning about 6:30.
Had a chance at a double with my son but didn’t quite work out. Off to find him a bird now.
My buddy is in his blind at another spot trying to get some gobblers in to archery range.
Good luck everyone.

btridge
04-15-2019, 09:38 AM
I shot a nice Tom in the face this morning about 6:30.
Had a chance at a double with my son but didn’t quite work out. Off to find him a bird now.
My buddy is in his blind at another spot trying to get some gobblers in to archery range.
Good luck everyone.

Your son let You shoot one this year, Awesome!

Krico
04-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Your son let You shoot one this year, Awesome!

Haha yes he did.
We had another great morning, he dumped a nice bird on our 2nd setup around 8am.
3rd member of our hunting party this year arrowed a nice Tom at 2 metres. :shock:

mpotzold
04-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Tennessee hunter kills white turkey a few days ago.
All white meat!:razz:

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/04/13/PNAS/e387e5e7-9313-45eb-8eac-1bb0ad722acf-rare_turk.jpg?width=1200&format=pjpg&auto=webp

tuner
04-16-2019, 06:25 PM
^^^ Spirit Turkey.

RyoTHC
04-16-2019, 06:30 PM
^^^ Spirit Turkey.

I'd love to find me a spirit bear and show it my traditional beliefs ... Of eating it :D

HighCountryBC
04-18-2019, 07:43 AM
Who has been out? Congratulations to those that have found success early and good luck to those who haven't made it out yet. Heading out for a few days of chasing gobblers and shedding late next week. Looking forward to it.

303savage
04-18-2019, 07:55 AM
I didn't get a deer but was very pleased with the bird. And they are a lot easier to get out of the bush :-) What did it taste like?

Darksith
04-18-2019, 11:15 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/iepaoh.jpg
Success with the bow

We got 2 in 2 setups.

First setup we heard the gobbler without using a locator,
Closed the distance, put the shooter in a Bush and called him right through the shooting lane at 10m. Second setup was a push actually right in front of me with my bow at 20m

Krico
04-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Nice job. Beauty tom.

LBM
04-18-2019, 05:20 PM
People be safe out there sounds like it wasnt good for one fellow today.

Krico
04-18-2019, 05:23 PM
People be safe out there sounds like it wasnt good for one fellow today.

Wtf does that mean?

bangbangkhan
04-18-2019, 05:31 PM
Is it too late to go turkey hunting this weekend?

LBM
04-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Wtf does that mean?
means what it says

walks with deer
04-19-2019, 08:47 AM
lbm, did somebody get hurt.?

walks with deer
04-19-2019, 08:50 AM
darksith looks like a beauty with the bow..

i found a broken arrow in my back yard and i am missing a ridley bronze tom i herd the was a green truck in my driveway when i was at work.. do you know anything about this?

LBM
04-19-2019, 09:08 AM
lbm, did somebody get hurt.?

Yes, airlifted out.

Redthies
04-19-2019, 09:21 AM
https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/man-airlifted-to-hospital-after-apparent-hunting-incident-in-east-kootenay/

Doesn’t say much. Could have been out for anything.

Redthies
04-19-2019, 09:25 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/iepaoh.jpg
Success with the bow

Congrats! Nice bird!

Redthies
04-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Is it too late to go turkey hunting this weekend?

Yup. Seasons over.

:roll:

bangbangkhan
04-19-2019, 09:42 AM
haha, right....

I meant to ask is if there are still chances of getting one after opening days...never hunted them before so i dont know how much pressure they are in...especially in the castlegar area...

Yup. Seasons over.

:roll:

Redthies
04-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Ahhh. That’s a different question. There are lots of birds out there. Too many some would say. They definitely are in the area around Castlegar too. I’m not heading home until Tuesday, so there better be some birds left when I get there. The later you go, the more chance the toms will be hiding away with all the hens, and less likely to come to your calls. Sooner is definitely better than later...

walks with deer
04-19-2019, 09:48 AM
wow carefull out there.

Krico
04-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Late season can be good, lots of guys prefer it over early season. Many hens have been bred and are busy sitting on their nests, while the toms continue looking for action.

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Anyone going out this weekend or want to help a not new to turkey hunting but new to turkey hunting in Canada person out. I got my Grand Slam this year... got my Osceola in Florida back in March, and just shot the Washington Slam (Merriam, Rio, and Eastern) last week... had some extra time and with my wife visiting our family near Oregon I even successfully harvested a bird down there... That's five birds this spring. Been blessed. Got the OK to go hunting BC this weekend, admittedly plan to even hunt Idaho if the stars continue to align. Will be out Saturday through Tuesday. Thanks in advance!

If I could figure out how to get the pictures to upload I'd share a few! Keep getting upload fail....:mad:

Darksith
04-24-2019, 07:58 AM
darksith looks like a beauty with the bow..

i found a broken arrow in my back yard and i am missing a ridley bronze tom i herd the was a green truck in my driveway when i was at work.. do you know anything about this?
haha, piss off lol. My arrow is clearly intact ;)

Darksith
04-24-2019, 08:00 AM
Anyone going out this weekend or want to help a not new to turkey hunting but new to turkey hunting in Canada person out. I got my Grand Slam this year... got my Osceola in Florida back in March, and just shot the Washington Slam (Merriam, Rio, and Eastern) last week... had some extra time and with my wife visiting our family near Oregon I even successfully harvested a bird down there... That's five birds this spring. Been blessed. Got the OK to go hunting BC this weekend, admittedly plan to even hunt Idaho if the stars continue to align. Will be out Saturday through Tuesday. Thanks in advance!

If I could figure out how to get the pictures to upload I'd share a few! Keep getting upload fail....:mad:

upload to tinypic.com and then copy image url into comment here with [ img] [ /img]

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-24-2019, 09:31 AM
http://i66.tinypic.com/20tl6s9.jpg
FL - Osceola 3.20.19
http://i65.tinypic.com/kcjq6w.jpg
WA - Merriam 4.16.19
http://i67.tinypic.com/jhr3o9.jpg
WA - Rio Grande 4.17.19
http://i66.tinypic.com/2m65x55.jpg
WA - Eastern 4.18.19
http://i66.tinypic.com/28he8zt.jpg
OR - Rio Grande 4.21.19

Plan to post a more comprehensive write up after I finish hunting this spring but here is a teaser of what success I've had so far! So...ya if anyone wants to help keep the ball rolling I will be forever greatful. I have twins coming (due-on) the 19th of May... currently working on something in the LM and am afraid this will be my first and only opportunity for sometime to get a BC gobbler. I mean... too if you guys want to swap a little info I can obviously help you hunt WA as it can be closer/as far and what you'll save on gas will pay for your out of state/country tags.

avidnwoutdoorsman
04-24-2019, 09:32 AM
upload to tinypic.com and then copy image url into comment here with [ img] [ /img]

Look at that! It worked!

Bubbacanuck
04-26-2019, 03:34 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/2ugzci8.jpg

Boner
04-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the photos, I have to live vicariously through you guys! :)

btridge
05-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Next years wild turkey crop has arrived!!!

Went for a walk today and the wild turkey hens were out and about with little chicks running around every where. 1 hen had over 20 chicks and many had 10 to 15 with them.

Bubbacanuck
05-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Next years wild turkey crop has arrived!!!

Went for a walk today and the wild turkey hens were out and about with little chicks running around every where. 1 hen had over 20 chicks and many had 10 to 15 with them.

That sounds great!! Promising fall hunt and/or next spring! Thanks for the update