PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Everywhere

12-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Wolves are getting to be very numerous in the West Kootenay. I spent last week at our cabin a couple hours north of Nelson, and did a lot of hiking. EVERYWHERE I went there were wolf tracks in the snow, up each and every road.... I even found a wolf-killed deer, which is amazing since between the wolves and cats, there are almost no deer around anymore. Anyway, it's all very disheartening, and I will try my best to thin the wolves out this winter. At least until the NDP/Greens decide to ban wolf hunting.

steepNdeep
12-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Bummer, but not surprising. It's been 15 years since I saw my first wolf on the border south of you ("Salmo pack on this map) & the wolves have been immigrating to Canada from the US ever since. We should get Trump to build us the wall here! lol

Good luck!

Here's their origin in NE Washington - across the border from the W. Kootenays. They are working their way north & west from their reintroduction in Idaho. This little corner (~30 x 30 miles) holds the majority of WA wolves & they are already killing ~100 cattle per year (imagine how many deer). Wolves are still protected as endangered species in WA & the pro-wolf group want another 10 year ban on hunting them... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/states-wolf-kill-turns-up-the-heat-in-washington-cattle-country/

https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/WEB-wolf-country-map2.jpg

tinhorse
12-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Sounds like the PG area about 7 years ago....I would be out and there were wolf tracks on every road we were working on. Saw very little game those following years. It does seem now that the game population is maybe starting to come around a little and will hopefully rebound with a declined wolf population and a few milder winters.

12-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Sounds like the PG area about 7 years ago....I would be out and there were wolf tracks on every road we were working on. Saw very little game those following years. It does seem now that the game population is maybe starting to come around a little and will hopefully rebound with a declined wolf population and a few milder winters.

Yeah, I imagine starvation may be a reality for those wolves, as there is so little game

Whonnock Boy
12-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Less than a month ago I heard the regional bio being quoted as saying there are 5 or 6 super packs of 30 to 50 wolves working the areas around PG. Based on what I hear, the pops are still swirling.

bownut
12-12-2017, 05:22 PM
The Okanagan is packing up also, wolf tracks all over the valley. Sightings from all the late season hunters with the same conclusion, no game and no luck hunting.

It has become way easier to find a place to hunt them, but to think hunters will stand a chance of reducing the population, good luck.
That's usually the end result.

4 point
12-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Lots of wolves in 3-28 & 3-29. Many tracks lower down in the mule deer winter range which is were a lot of whitetails normally hang out.

palmer
12-12-2017, 06:03 PM
I had a pack of 9 walk past a trail cam a couple of weeks ago. They were maybe 20mins. from Christina Lake and were in the valley floor. First time to have them that low on my cams.

horshur
12-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Wolves are getting to be very numerous in the West Kootenay. I spent last week at our cabin a couple hours north of Nelson, and did a lot of hiking. EVERYWHERE I went there were wolf tracks in the snow, up each and every road.... I even found a wolf-killed deer, which is amazing since between the wolves and cats, there are almost no deer around anymore. Anyway, it's all very disheartening, and I will try my best to thin the wolves out this winter. At least until the NDP/Greens decide to ban wolf hunting.
That will be the last one cause they only kill 1% eh..

finngun
12-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I imagine starvation may be a reality for those wolves, as there is so little game
Maybe not so..they just move ...very mobile beast.but pup litter could be smaller coming year..

Rattler
12-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately wolves all over WK now. I place part of the blame on biologists trying to manage/reduce prey populations to aid Caribou. I think this has backfired big time. They increased moose authorizations and now there are hardly any left in Revy from what I hear. Wolves have spread to the south in a big way now as a result.

I keep thinking they are going to starve to death but it hasn't happened yet��. Going to make a serious effort to reduce predator populations this winter.

stinkyduck
12-12-2017, 07:43 PM
I heard today, that a butcher in kamloops has said worst year ever for him!

604redneck
12-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Everyone kill a grizz next year and a few black bears then maybe some poison gets spilled on it and it accidentally falls out of your truck or snowmobile.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-12-2017, 08:33 PM
This Late September my buddy was sneaking into an area in Region 8 at the crack of dawn to do some calling for elk. He could barely see when he saw some shadows moving at the end of a meadow just inside the timber. At first he thought they were coyotes and didn't want to wreck his elk hunt.
As they drifted closer he realized he was in the middle of a pack of wolves. He saw one to the left and one to the right. Both seems to know he was there. ...then he realized there was another in the middle coming straight at him at 3/4 run. He hurriedly raised his rifle and clicked the safety off. As soon as the charging wolf heard the 'click', it turned 90 deg and hit the timber running. He tried to get a shot off but with the poor light and dark timber he couldn't quite get it done. A second later another wolf streaked past him.
When the charging wolf turned it was less than 20 yards away.
Moments later 3 more lit up from across the lake. Probably 8 in total.

For the rest of the day every time he bugled the wolves would start howling. Needless to say he didn't see and elk that day.

I returned with him the next weekend with the Foxpro but it was windy all weekend and not the best for calling.

SSS

Sangstercraft
12-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Maybe someone could start a thread 'how to hunt wolves'. I have no idea, but would welcome an excuse to get out in the bush after deer season ends.

rocksteady
12-12-2017, 09:14 PM
If the avid hunters on here put in as much time and effort to kill preds as they do to kill ungulates there may be less of a problem..

I know I plan to spend a bunch of time afield looking for totes and wolf's this winter..

Rackmastr
12-12-2017, 09:32 PM
If the avid hunters on here put in as much time and effort to kill preds as they do to kill ungulates there may be less of a problem..

I know I plan to spend a bunch of time afield looking for totes and wolf's this winter..

Agreed, I need to get out a handful of times this winter and do some calling and see if I can knock a wolf or two down.

Next year the plan is to keep a freezer with scraps and set up a good bait next Nov/Dec and hunt them hard. Just need to find a good spot out of the way that I can get to without a snow machine or quad. Easier said than done!! lol

12-12-2017, 09:34 PM

agreed. I’m going to put in an effort this winter

Drillbit
12-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Maybe someone could start a thread 'how to hunt wolves'. I have no idea, but would welcome an excuse to get out in the bush after deer season ends.

There's been many of those threads.

Wolves are a very cagey animal. What works once, won't work again. And what works somewhere might not work everywhere else.

Great to read some guys are willing to give it a try. I spend lots of time all winter hunting dogs and only get one or 2 wolves a year,
usually around 20 coyotes.

As others have said, I thought they'd starve off by now as there isn't much for tracks (other than wolf) in entire river systems, but they seem to be doing just fine. Hopefully they'll start feeding on black bears soon, as it's nothing to drive around and see 30 of them per day in the spring.

Ohwildwon
12-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Bummer, but not surprising. It's been 15 years since I saw my first wolf on the border south of you ("Salmo pack on this map) & the wolves have been immigrating to Canada from the US ever since. We should get Trump to build us the wall here! lol

Good luck!

Here's their origin in NE Washington - across the border from the W. Kootenays. They are working their way north & west from their reintroduction in Idaho. This little corner (~30 x 30 miles) holds the majority of WA wolves & they are already killing ~100 cattle per year (imagine how many deer). Wolves are still protected as endangered species in WA & the pro-wolf group want another 10 year ban on hunting them... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/states-wolf-kill-turns-up-the-heat-in-washington-cattle-country/

https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/WEB-wolf-country-map2.jpg

Big time problems with our friends in Washington state also! :shock:

Lots of wolf threads to show for it...

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?board=76.0

bownut
12-12-2017, 11:27 PM
First year of the wolf GOS I walked into a area that I spotted cow elk the night before, trying to get to a vantage area and the wind at my back, I hurried in before first light.
After a half hour of walking I noticed something next to the trail in the high grass and stopped to have a look. At first I thought it was a bobcat flicking it's ear at me, and with he wind still at my back
I was almost certain that it was one. When it stood up and turned towards me I could see that it was a dog and not a cat, as it started to gate towards me I realized that it was a wolf and not a coyote.
I then got to one knee and jacked a round and fired as it continued at me. It then spun around from the impact and darted into the marsh grass like a ghost. As I reloaded my gun and backed into a tree,
the rest of the pack lit up all around me. I took my video camera out with one hand and rifle in the other, I video taped the pack howling all around me. It was one of the predator /prey moments that I
will never forget. I followed the blood trail for 200 yards into a thick area and backed out for fear of getting tooled.
The next morning I went back in and howled at first light to have the pack fire up again. My hunting buddy almost shit his pant when the mountain lit up, he didn't believe me until he had the hair stand
on the back of his neck. I shot one more that morning and we both had the large male at twenty yards wing past us, too exciting!

That pack is still there years later and the ungulate population is at a all time low. This is a area that I have hunted for 30 years and I have never seen it so bad.

I know of many areas in Region 8 that are suffering the same way, and I hate to say this but hunters we won't even touch the numbers.

trapman
12-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Picked up 4 on the trap line last weekend ,heading back up tomorrow to put out 2 more bait piles

OceanMon
12-13-2017, 01:27 AM
Hunting wolves.... Good idea. I could use some more pepperoni sticks

northernbc
12-13-2017, 05:15 AM
Ocean man ?

Tuffcity
12-13-2017, 09:53 AM
and if FLNRO would turn up the heat on inactive trap lines it might help to...

RC

g_worsnop
12-13-2017, 09:55 PM
WELL SAID TUFFCITY !!!!!!
crock of shit system for a guy that all he wants to do is trap

tigrr
12-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Trapping wolves is an art. Think large road killed frozen moose left in the bush for weeks/months while the traps are around it and the trapper checks every day if anything is present.

Drillbit
12-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Ocean man ?

Ill guess ocean moon

antlerking
12-14-2017, 12:45 AM
1080 is the only real solution worked like a charm in 50's & 60's

Ferenc
12-14-2017, 01:54 AM
Hunting wolves.... Good idea. I could use some more deer, moose, elk pepperoni sticks

: ) : ) : ) : )

Red_Mist
12-14-2017, 02:33 AM
disease is pretty effective at lowering populations also, at least temporarily. came across this article

http://www.timberwolfinformation.org/distemper-devastates-yellowstone-wolves/

Distemper devastates Yellowstone wolvesWritten by Gib Mathers
Distemper, an often fatal disease common in carnivores, had a devastating effect on Yellowstone National Park wolves last year, especially northern packs. But the disease may have run its course, a Yellowstone official said.
Across the park, the population has declined 27 percent, from 171 wolves in 2007 to 124 in 2008.
Wolf numbers dropped by 40 percent in the northern range, the most concentrated wolf community, from 94 wolves in 2007 to 56 wolves in 2008, said Yellowstone Wolf Project Leader Doug Smith.
Distemper is more likely to spread in denser populations such as the northern range, Smith said.
In the interior, the decline was 11 percent — from 77 in 2007 to 68 in 2008, Smith said.
Puppies are the most susceptible to the viral disease, which affects respiratory, gastrointestinal and central nervous systems. But adults can contract the disease too, through secretions, especially saliva.
Distemper was here long before wolves arrived in Yellowstone in 1995, and the disease is spread by all predators, Smith said. Other carnivores can spread the disease from chewing on the same carcass.
Eight puppies were born in the northern range and 14 in the interior last year, Smith said.
Inoculating for distemper requires three injections. That would be expensive, and catching all the wolves in the park likely would not be possible, he said.
The good news is the 2008 distemper outbreak probably is over, he said.
Smith said he believes the population can recover. Distemper clobbered park wolves In 1999 and 2005 as well.
“Both times, they bounced back,” he said.
Mange also killed two or three wolves in 2008. Currently, 20 wolves are suffering from mange across the park, Smith said.
“It’s the worst year yet for mange,” Smith said, adding he hopes it does not increase this year.
Mange is a parasitic infection of the skin. It can weaken the animal, making it susceptible to infections and other problems that can lead to death, a Yellowstone news release said.
The number of breeding pairs dropped from 10 to six in 2008. That’s the lowest since 2000, the news release said.
Distemper and mange aren’t the only slayers.
Wolves often kill each other competing for food or territory, and population density could contribute to an increase in wolf-on-wolf mortality, the release said.
A mountain lion will kill a wolf occasionally, but the only unequivocal wolf predators are humans, Smith said.
Wildlife biologists say the Yellowstone wolf population has recovered, and wolf numbers can be expected to fluctuate like other wildlife species, according to the release.

HarryToolips
12-14-2017, 10:01 PM
First year of the wolf GOS I walked into a area that I spotted cow elk the night before, trying to get to a vantage area and the wind at my back, I hurried in before first light.
After a half hour of walking I noticed something next to the trail in the high grass and stopped to have a look. At first I thought it was a bobcat flicking it's ear at me, and with he wind still at my back
I was almost certain that it was one. When it stood up and turned towards me I could see that it was a dog and not a cat, as it started to gate towards me I realized that it was a wolf and not a coyote.
I then got to one knee and jacked a round and fired as it continued at me. It then spun around from the impact and darted into the marsh grass like a ghost. As I reloaded my gun and backed into a tree,
the rest of the pack lit up all around me. I took my video camera out with one hand and rifle in the other, I video taped the pack howling all around me. It was one of the predator /prey moments that I
will never forget. I followed the blood trail for 200 yards into a thick area and backed out for fear of getting tooled.
The next morning I went back in and howled at first light to have the pack fire up again. My hunting buddy almost shit his pant when the mountain lit up, he didn't believe me until he had the hair stand
on the back of his neck. I shot one more that morning and we both had the large male at twenty yards wing past us, too exciting!

That pack is still there years later and the ungulate population is at a all time low. This is a area that I have hunted for 30 years and I have never seen it so bad.

I know of many areas in Region 8 that are suffering the same way, and I hate to say this but hunters we won't even touch the numbers.
Crazy story, cool experience....I wish we as hunters could fund our own aerial shooting program, with the government having our backs....maybe the next time the BC Liberals get in??

.300WSMImpact!
12-15-2017, 09:45 AM
I went to an area for a deer hunt, with all the wolf sign it quickly turned into a wolf hunt, I did shoot a wolf but I put a poor shot on it and tracked it for 2 days but it was still alive and I backed out and was unable to go back

gcreek
12-15-2017, 05:16 PM
disease is pretty effective at lowering populations also, at least temporarily. came across this article

http://www.timberwolfinformation.org/distemper-devastates-yellowstone-wolves/

Distemper devastates Yellowstone wolves

Written by Gib Mathers
Distemper, an often fatal disease common in carnivores, had a devastating effect on Yellowstone National Park wolves last year, especially northern packs. But the disease may have run its course, a Yellowstone official said.
Across the park, the population has declined 27 percent, from 171 wolves in 2007 to 124 in 2008.
Wolf numbers dropped by 40 percent in the northern range, the most concentrated wolf community, from 94 wolves in 2007 to 56 wolves in 2008, said Yellowstone Wolf Project Leader Doug Smith.
Distemper is more likely to spread in denser populations such as the northern range, Smith said.
In the interior, the decline was 11 percent — from 77 in 2007 to 68 in 2008, Smith said.
Puppies are the most susceptible to the viral disease, which affects respiratory, gastrointestinal and central nervous systems. But adults can contract the disease too, through secretions, especially saliva.
Distemper was here long before wolves arrived in Yellowstone in 1995, and the disease is spread by all predators, Smith said. Other carnivores can spread the disease from chewing on the same carcass.
Eight puppies were born in the northern range and 14 in the interior last year, Smith said.
Inoculating for distemper requires three injections. That would be expensive, and catching all the wolves in the park likely would not be possible, he said.
The good news is the 2008 distemper outbreak probably is over, he said.
Smith said he believes the population can recover. Distemper clobbered park wolves In 1999 and 2005 as well.
“Both times, they bounced back,” he said.
Mange also killed two or three wolves in 2008. Currently, 20 wolves are suffering from mange across the park, Smith said.
“It’s the worst year yet for mange,” Smith said, adding he hopes it does not increase this year.
Mange is a parasitic infection of the skin. It can weaken the animal, making it susceptible to infections and other problems that can lead to death, a Yellowstone news release said.
The number of breeding pairs dropped from 10 to six in 2008. That’s the lowest since 2000, the news release said.
Distemper and mange aren’t the only slayers.
Wolves often kill each other competing for food or territory, and population density could contribute to an increase in wolf-on-wolf mortality, the release said.
A mountain lion will kill a wolf occasionally, but the only unequivocal wolf predators are humans, Smith said.
Wildlife biologists say the Yellowstone wolf population has recovered, and wolf numbers can be expected to fluctuate like other wildlife species, according to the release.

Interesting, mange usually hits when populations get too dense.

Distemper needs to be combined with Parvo to really do a number on them. This experiment has been proven.

jagen mit DDrs
12-15-2017, 08:19 PM
If you guys would be as busy hunting wolves as you are flapping your gums about eradicating predators on a forum we wouldn't have a wolf problem.!!
Seems to me, if each of you spends as much time hunting wolves as you do on the computer and even kills one we wouldn't need govt.resources to deal with the problem.Besides,the public outcry...if the public finds out that hunters a sanctioned by the govt to poison,aerial shoot and the spread of disease to eradicate predators,we as hunter don't need more bad publicity but reading some of the comments I only shake my head.
Well,there isn't much to hunt during winter time....you fellas might as well go out and do something for management if you are so concerned about the local deer/moose population.

tipper
12-15-2017, 08:21 PM
If you guys would be as busy hunting wolves as you are flapping your gums about eradicating predators on a forum we wouldn't have a wolf problem.!!
Seems to me, if each of you spends as much time hunting wolves as you do on the computer and even kills one we wouldn't need govt.resources to deal with the problem.Besides,the public outcry...if the public finds out that hunters a sanctioned by the govt to poison,aerial shoot and the spread of disease to eradicate predators,we as hunter don't need more bad publicity but reading some of the comments I only shake my head.
Well,there isn't much to hunt during winter time....you fellas might as well go out and do something for management if you are so concerned about the local deer/moose population.

I would forget all about the grab a gun and look for wolves. The only really effective way to deal with them is experienced trappers.

Whonnock Boy
12-15-2017, 08:29 PM
And even then, it's an uphill battle, IF they can get it done at all. The stats I've heard is, 60-70% of the wolf population needs to be killed in order to see a decline in the overall population.

The only really effective way to deal with them is experienced trappers.

eric
12-15-2017, 08:40 PM
^^^^ and that's where hunting them with choppers is really the only way to decimate the population..

Rattler
12-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Hunting wolves will have a minimal impact on their populations, but every dead wolf matters imo. Studies have shown that wolf populations need to be reduced by 80% for a decade to have an impact. The most effective ways are helicopter, poison and trapping.
Good luck hunting everyone!

tuner
12-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Ran into two in a single day, both in plain sight near Savona last weekend, to slow on the draw,absolutely every road we drove was littered with wolf track
spent three full days in the area,saw a total of 5 deer.

steepNdeep
12-15-2017, 10:08 PM
I agree that the only way to stop them is with a government-approved initiatives via proven methods like heli's or poison. Trapping does also make a dent & can take out whole packs at a time.

But, we can't sit around & do nothing but complain. Each wolf removed saves ~30 deer per year.

Are there many wolves north of Invermere up around Golden?

tipper
12-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Ran into two in a single day, both in plain sight near Savona last weekend, to slow on the draw,absolutely every road we drove was littered with wolf track
spent three full days in the area,saw a total of 5 deer.

They are just too quick to get a shot when you're on a road. Hell I spend most of my time in the bush north of Kamloops at camp and I've seen the more of the things locally than I have in the bush. Padova city just outside of Kamloops I saw one rip past like a streak. Seven lakes I saw a pack last year as well, this is all in close proximity to houses etc.

bearvalley
12-15-2017, 10:52 PM
Trapping does also make a dent & can take out whole packs at a time.

Trapping is the best tool we have but the removal of the whole pack is necessary.
Partial pack removal can break up the pack structure, create more packs and the end result is more wolves.

antlerking
12-16-2017, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=jagen mit DDrs;1962507]If you guys would be as busy hunting wolves as you are flapping your gums about eradicating predators on a forum we wouldn't have a wolf problem.!!
Well,there isn't much to hunt during winter time....you fellas might as well go out and do something for management if you are so concerned about the local deer/moose population.[/QUOTE

https://www.bcac.bc.ca/sites/bcac.localhost/files/An%20Economic%20Assessment%20of%20Predation%20in%2 0BC.pdf
They don't control predator numbers for wildlife they control numbers for domestic animals ( sheep & cattle ) That would be just wrong from a public sentiment (large urban voter base) but what city dweller doesn't like a nice juicy steak or lamb chop!

jagen mit DDrs
12-17-2017, 03:15 PM
I would forget all about the grab a gun and look for wolves. The only really effective way to deal with them is experienced trappers.

So,what you are saying is,lets do nothing and let the trappers deal with "my"problem?!If every single member in this forum would do their part it would make a difference but that would mean to get their rearend off the couch and brave the cold.It;s way easier to" mouth off"on the internet than actually be part of a solution.
Personally,I don't have a problem with wolves but I spend most every morning and evening hunting them knowing that if you hunt deer/elk and moose you have to manage the predators as well.You won't hear me whining about too many wolves.

.300WSMImpact!
12-17-2017, 05:14 PM
poison is the best way but I assume the province wont allow that

jagen mit DDrs
12-17-2017, 06:22 PM
poison is the best way but I assume the province wont allow that

Rightfully so!!
Besides,every other species that feeds on carrion will be poisoned too,not talking about family pets that stumble on to the poisoned meat.
Maybe you should become a wolf addict too.

12-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Poison is not a viable option. The poison commonly used in the past was sodium fluoroacetate (1080). Though highly effective and biodegradable, is poisonous to non target species.

Walking Buffalo
12-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Trapping is the best tool we have but the removal of the whole pack is necessary.
Partial pack removal can break up the pack structure, create more packs and the end result is more wolves.

Yep - If you have a choice shoot the smaller ones. If the alpha pair are killed it can split them up & create more packs.

And killing one or both of the Alphas Can spell doom for the entire pack.

Unbiased studies show that the loss of the Alpha pair can have a wide ranging effect.

Don't let this propaganda get rooted; killing the dominant wolves will Always lead to dispersal and more packs, greater number of wolves.
That is a line being used today to influence away from killing wolves, and it is false.

If you get a chance at a wolf, ANY wolf, take the shot.
You just eliminated the cause of six deer mortalities until at least next year, maybe longer.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Poison is not a viable option. The poison commonly used in the past was sodium fluoroacetate (1080). Though highly effective and biodegradable, is poisonous to non target species.

Isn't 1080 canine specific?

12-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Unbiased studies show that the loss of the Alpha pair can have a wide ranging effect.

Don't let this propaganda get rooted; killing the dominant wolves will Always lead to dispersal and more packs, greater number of wolves.
That is a line being used today to influence away from killing wolves, and it is false.

You just eliminated the cause of six deer mortalities until at least next year, maybe longer.

I agree. See a wolf and start shooting

Bustercluck
12-17-2017, 06:59 PM
I'd have to agree with killing one or two out of a pack won't really change anything. I think they'll flourish as long as they have enough food. The couple places I've seen a heavy wolf population, we still didn't have a problem finding moose(what I primarily hunt). I assume you'd see quite a few more hanging around farms where there's easy food.

Ive heard stories from guys in their sixties poisoning off entire packs of wolves when they were kids. These stories came from northern Vancouver island and northern Saskatchewan. I don't know if this was a personal venture or public, but the one guys dad was a conservation officer.

I've never seen a wolf on Vancouver island, but I've probably seen 15 cats or more. I don't know if the cougars get thicker because they didn't have any competition for so long. Shooting from the hip here, but I think 75percent of bc cougars are on the island or surrounding islands. Seems to be a balance there. As long as there's food, there's going to be competition for it. Sounds like the wolf population is increasing on the north island, so we'll see how the cat population does...

bearvalley
12-17-2017, 07:36 PM

Walking Buffalo, I agree a dead wolf is a good wolf with the current state of predation we are going thru.
Doesn’t matter to me if they’re shot, caught or hung.

Also, I’m fully aware that killing the dominant pair often leads to the crumbling of the entire pack.
First you have to kill them.
If not the pack keeps making puppies.

As steepNdeep said, shooting pups is also a good way to maintain a lower wolf population and still have one breeding pack left in place to hold a territory.

There are are a lot of conflicting ideas on wolf removal, from both the biased and unbiased.
My personal observation as to what works in removing the entire pack is the proper placement of enough traps to nail the alphas first, the rest of the pack collapse like dominoes.

One thing for certain is that once the entire pack is removed fragmentation is not an issue.
When the wolves are gone, they are gone.

Biased and unbiased studies both have to agree on that.

tigrr
12-17-2017, 08:13 PM
The ultimate wolf catch is a pile of bait, be it road kill moose or whatever. 2 trails into the bait pile. 6 snares on each trail. I have read where 10 snares on each trail was used. That pack estimate was 20 wolves. The local trapper caught 5 of the 6 near me using this method. Snares are sold at many locations. Become a wolf trapper today. The location has to be perfect to do this method.

bearvalley
12-17-2017, 08:33 PM
The ultimate wolf catch is a pile of bait, be it road kill moose or whatever. 2 trails into the bait pile. 6 snares on each trail. I have read where 10 snares on each trail was used. That pack estimate was 20 wolves. The local trapper caught 5 of the 6 near me using this method. Snares are sold at many locations. Become a wolf trapper today. The location has to be perfect to do this method.

There have been a lot of wolves killed using a bait pile and wire.
How did the trapper do on catching #6 after he watched his buddies get caught on a bait pile.
I bet that ones pretty gun shy.
A bait pile is great but soon becomes taboo to surviving wolves that watch their family members die there.

steepNdeep
12-17-2017, 09:00 PM
If the alpha pair are killed it can split them up & create more packs.

Don't let this propaganda get rooted: killing the dominant wolves will Always lead to dispersal and more packs, greater number of wolves. That is a line being used today to influence away from killing wolves, and it is false.

Thanks Walking Buffalo for making me research this more. According to one of the largest & longest running wolf studies, killing the breeders:

1) Causes the pack to split up 33% of the time.

BUT

2) This had no significant effects on immediate or longer term population dynamics.

So, it doesn't matter if it's an alpha/breeder/dominant that is killed. Shoot ANY size wolf.

HarryToolips
12-17-2017, 09:39 PM
So, let's get more info on this to get more people helping the ungulates and killing wolves...so I have several questions:
1. How many non target species do trappers find they get using this method, like lynx or bobcat?
2. any person wishing to get into trapping must have to take a course?? Do you have to buy a trapline, or once you have a license can you just start trapping anywhere??
3. From what Bearvalley is saying and a few others have said, how detrimental long term can this method of removing wolves be, by educating the rest of the pack??

Thanks..

bearvalley
12-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks Walking Buffalo for making me research this more. According to one of the largest & longest running wolf studies, killing the breeders:

1) Causes the pack to split up 33% of the time.

BUT

2) This had no significant effects on immediate or longer term population dynamics.

So, it doesn't matter an alpah/breeder/dominant is killed. Shoot ANY size wolf.

The number one successful factor in reducing wolves is whole pack removal....anything less than that makes us feel good but doesn’t achieve much gain.

bearvalley
12-17-2017, 10:19 PM
So, let's get more info on this to get more people helping the ungulates and killing wolves...so I have several questions:
1. How many non target species do trappers find they get using this method, like lynx or bobcat?
2. any person wishing to get into trapping must have to take a course?? Do you have to buy a trapline, or once you have a license can you just start trapping anywhere??
3. From what Bearvalley is saying and a few others have said, how detrimental long term can this method of removing wolves be, by educating the rest of the pack??

Thanks..

To answer your questions even tho you threw them out to tigrr....

1. What gets caught in a snare is usually dead....snares are a bit target specific depending on height and placement but they aren’t real forgiving.

2. You need a trapping course to get a license. The amount of canine trapping know how in the BC trapping course is very limited. My advice to anyone serious about trapping wolves is to access a canine specific trapping seminar or find a mentor that is successful at catching canine predators.
You either need to own a trap line or else you can trap on private land of your own or private land belonging to another party if you acquire their written permission to do so.

3. Many wolves will not re enter a bait station if they watch pack members die there in snares.
Many times they will not even approach a carcass in another location if they pick up that man has been on the scene.

This is is why leghold traps shine....they can be a pain in the ass because of the fact that a trap is more time consuming to set, not as weather forgiving as a snare and needs checked more often but the benefit is that any pack member caught was alive right there, foot in a trap but alive as far as any other pack members were concerned.
If that trapped wolf is properly euthanized and properly removed from the trap scene the surviving members of the pack will come back to where their family member was last visually seen.
Its only on the very rare occasion that the entire pack cannot be picked off at one trap site using only a small number of leg holds.

A lot lot of people can’t get their head around this method of wolf reduction, they’d rather go out and pick away at pack....kill some wolves....leave some wolves and move on.
Really this is just wolf farming....for the most part the wolf problem never goes away.

I’ve been privileged in what I do....I’ve met some of the best guys in the business when it comes to dealing with wolves and other carnivores for that matter.
What those guys will show you or tell you in person you will never read in a published article.

Ohwildwon
12-17-2017, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all your insight BV!

antlerking
12-18-2017, 05:05 AM
A little history of predator control in BC

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=vpcone

Downtown
12-18-2017, 06:55 AM

If you check my threads, I did give a detailed description how to go about to be successful.

Cheers

HarryToolips
12-18-2017, 07:42 AM
To answer your questions even tho you threw them out to tigrr....

1. What gets caught in a snare is usually dead....snares are a bit target specific depending on height and placement but they aren’t real forgiving.

2. You need a trapping course to get a license. The amount of canine trapping know how in the BC trapping course is very limited. My advice to anyone serious about trapping wolves is to access a canine specific trapping seminar or find a mentor that is successful at catching canine predators.
You either need to own a trap line or else you can trap on private land of your own or private land belonging to another party if you acquire their written permission to do so.

3. Many wolves will not re enter a bait station if they watch pack members die there in snares.
Many times they will not even approach a carcass in another location if they pick up that man has been on the scene.

This is is why leghold traps shine....they can be a pain in the ass because of the fact that a trap is more time consuming to set, not as weather forgiving as a snare and needs checked more often but the benefit is that any pack member caught was alive right there, foot in a trap but alive as far as any other pack members were concerned.
If that trapped wolf is properly euthanized and properly removed from the trap scene the surviving members of the pack will come back to where their family member was last visually seen.
Its only on the very rare occasion that the entire pack cannot be picked off at one trap site using only a small number of leg holds.

A lot lot of people can’t get their head around this method of wolf reduction, they’d rather go out and pick away at pack....kill some wolves....leave some wolves and move on.
Really this is just wolf farming....for the most part the wolf problem never goes away.

I’ve been privileged in what I do....I’ve met some of the best guys in the business when it comes to dealing with wolves and other carnivores for that matter.
What those guys will show you or tell you in person you will never read in a published article.
Ok awesome thank you..