PDA

View Full Version : Smithers Mule Deer

bloodbath
12-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Hi all,

New to the area and was wondering how the mule deer season was?

Looking to scout some areas for next season.

Any tips?

Cheers

two-feet
12-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Make friends with farmers.

B-Roth
12-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Hey dude, I live in Smithers/Telkwa.

Mule deer hunting is over for the year. But white tail, either sex is open until the 20th of December. Other then that, your going to be waiting for spring bear in April. Unless you predator hunt.

Wild one
12-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Hey dude, I live in Smithers/Telkwa.

Mule deer hunting is over for the year. But white tail, either sex is open until the 20th of December. Other then that, your going to be waiting for spring bear in April. Unless you predator hunt.

archery only but yes WT are open

S.W.A.T.
12-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Try canfor in Houston. Lots of bucks hanging around there

bloodbath
12-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Many thanks for the reply’s!

Was as planning for mule deer next season.

is there a lot of whitetail to hunt here too?

S.W.A.T.
12-12-2017, 03:06 PM
A few nut not many, out towards burns lake and the back side of Francis lake the numbers are growing. Welcome to the area. Happy hunting

Jimbob
12-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Just moved to Smithers from Ontario this summer. I need to wait a few months to get BC residency so sporing bear will be my first hunt. Planning on sheep and goat in the summer then deer and moose in the fall.

I have mule deer on the property I am renting every day but not many bucks. I have access to a big farm in Telkwa but have not scouted it out yet. One of the boys on the basketball team I coach had a really big buck on his property this weekend, he lives in Houston.

I feel like mule places might be hard to find but have not really searched yet, I am more concerned with sheep and goats. Good luck.

bloodbath
12-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Wow thanks for the info.

Hoping to hunt east of Smithers.

S.W.A.T.
12-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Not many sheep in smothers though, unless you know a farmer lol

two-feet
12-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I am seeing plenty of whitetails in the area now, every third or fourth deer sighting is a whitey. I feel deer numbers here are good, it has been a few years since we have had a severe winter. Deer hunting around here is challenging unless you have access to farm land, the majority of deer are on the valley bottom in fields. I have seen the odd trophy buck over the years, usually in november.

CheesyLimper
12-12-2017, 08:29 PM
I've seen a few bigger bucks on the hill sides around the valley; ptarmigan logging road over to pine creek, our side of the Babines, and the lower slopes of rocky ridge. Granted they were pretty rare. Otherwise, the farm land, or the ranch lease lands after the cattle move off seem pretty populated. I am also seeing more whitetails.

bloodbath
12-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. Are there any no-shooting zones to be aware of in the farmland north east of Smithers, east of the Bulkley? Can't see any in the regulations.

Thanks!

S.W.A.T.
12-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Without permission you can't hunt there

bloodbath
12-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Okay great.