PDA

View Full Version : Losing your hunting partners.

HappyJack
12-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Well I turned 61 this past October and this past summer another of my hunting partners went off to the happy hunting grounds. There have been quite a few leaving, one was beaten to death, one committed suicide, one died waiting for heart surgery...cancer took a couple, well you get the idea.

Over the years I've kept mementos of these good friends in my hunting/fishing rig and they come into my thoughts often when I'm out hunting and fishing.

So I'm wondering, am I just a sentimental fool or do other sportsmen/women do the same thing to help preserve the memories of their closest friends?

338win mag
12-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Your a sentimental fool, like myself, I suddenly lost my best hunting buddy about 12 years ago, I think about him often when I'm out hunting especially when I sit down for a rest on some ridge somewhere, I really appreciate the knowledge he passed down to me.

HarryToolips
12-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Haven’t had a partner die so can’t say, but my condolences just keep enjoying yourself out there, that’s the best way to honour them

boblly1
12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
my cousin lived in PG he and i hunted together for years for moose beer pretty much anything legal. Got my first bull moose with his help. So guess you and i share the same thoughts as i have a couple of items that transfer from each hunting rig i have bought since he left. It helps me remember those times sometimes in a dream We will do the Cobb lake loop or hunt the Isle Pierre until wake up

bc8x8
12-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Lost a good friend and hunting partner a few years ago. He wanted me to spread his ash's up in northern BC where we had been doing an annual hunting trip. He had also been talking about building a tree stand for when he got better. My son and I went up and built a nice tree stand, spread the ash's from it and placed a stainless steel cross on one of the support trees. Needless to say but every time I'm there he is looking over my shoulder and commenting on my moose call. ( he taught me to call)

ACE
12-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Lost my hunting partner 3 years ago .....
Watched him grow and mature into a fine ethical hunter .... fun to be with, twinkle in his eye, gave 110% ....
He was teaching me a thing or two ...
Left too early.
He was my son ...... missing him.

westcoaster
12-08-2017, 09:14 PM
I haven't lost him yet, but I know it's coming....

Dear Old Dad at 82 hammered the biggest moose we got out of our hunting area yet last season.
He has his share of health problems. Prostate, PSA that keeps climbing, back problems, spinal stenosis etc... He manages all that and still gets out.
We had to sit this year out due to a "lump scare" that turned out to be nothing.
Plans are in the works for next year (i hope). But I know it's going to end sooner rather than later...

scoutlt1
12-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Watched him grow and mature into a fine ethical hunter .... fun to be with, twinkle in his eye, gave 110% ....
Left too early.

So sorry to hear.....

LYKTOHUNT
12-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Great friend and hunting partner croaked way to early. I miss him and his grumpy ways. Some of these old friends you can count on when crap hits the fan or you dont come home or whatever, you know they will find you you or fix whatever problem comes up.
I drive his truck everyday and watch out over his widow.
Ace there cant be much worse than missing your son, way too sad

Ajsawden
12-08-2017, 09:23 PM
I'm still pretty young in the world of hunter's and while youth doesn't prevent all deaths, I've been lucky that my crew are all still around. My dad on the other hand has lost not only mentors, but proteges. I remember going out with his old hunting partners, but was mostly too young to learn anything valuable, except the stories :) Though behind every story, there is always a hint of truth. We don't have a ton of tangible artifacts, but we have all the stories. I tell my hunting buddies all my dad's stories, which many of those were my grandpa's, and my uncles etc. Hopefully they'll pass them on to their friends and family as well as the stories we are making now.

Happy hunting everyone. Play safe out there. Bring back a tale and share with those who'll listen, you might just live forever.

HappyJack
12-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Left too early.

Oh man, that is rough x2, sorry you had to face that. As a father I can only imagine.

tigrr
12-08-2017, 10:32 PM
My group of 12 hunters and I'm the youngest at 57. Oldest is in his 80's. We are a dying breed.

brian
12-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Left too early.

Parents just should not outlive their children. I wish we could make it a universal rule!

MichelD
12-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Lost a good buddy to a combination of ailments in March. He was a shitty hunter but still loved to get out there. I'm glad I was along on his last trip in October 2016 when we went to Region 8 and he filled his LEH antlerless tag.

He was more into the the tents, the boots, the binoculars the knives, the pants, and my God! The guns! He loved nice hunting rifles so much he'd buy one every time he went into a store. He had so many he swamped our other two hunting buddies and me with the ones overflowing out of his lockers.. Every time I go hunting I'm carrying one of the rifles he gave me so I think of him every trip.

fudge
12-09-2017, 12:00 AM
I lost my grandfather about 5 years ago. He and my other grandad started me in the obsession. I still hunt with his husky 30.06 and think of him often when I'm out there....

604redneck
12-09-2017, 12:17 AM
Left too early.
No man should ever have to deal with this. My condolences ace.

Drillbit
12-09-2017, 12:19 AM
I've lost many hunting partners to marriage.

If it wasn't for family, I'd always be hunting alone.

mpotzold
12-09-2017, 03:00 AM
Left too early.

Sorry to hear that!:-( Parents worst nightmare!
Reminds me of Gary Shelton dedicating one of his books BEAR ENCOUNTER SURVIVAL GUIDE to his son also a hunter- Tayler James Shelton April 21,1967-April 2, 1994-WAY TOO YOUNG!:-(

Bear Chaser
12-09-2017, 07:54 AM
My condolences to the hunters here who have lost their partners, family members and friends. At the end we really only have the legacy of our time spent with others and how they remember us.

hunter1947
12-09-2017, 07:57 AM
A person doing what they have to do to remember there partners is a must does not matter how a person does it you do what you think is right..

ajr5406
12-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Left too early.

Oh man, that’s heartbreaking. Sorry to hear...

IronNoggin
12-09-2017, 12:35 PM
... So I'm wondering, am I just a sentimental fool or do other sportsmen/women do the same thing to help preserve the memories of their closest friends?

There have been a few. Unfortunately goes with the territory should you live long enough.
But one in particular stands out in my memories...

I met Ricky when we were both in our mid twenties.
He was a REAL Cowboy, Rodeo Clown, Bull Rider, Bronc Buster, and with his Pa owned one of the largest cattle operations going in Alberta.
We met over an antelope hunt arranged by a mutual friend, and that began an extremely firm and fine friendship.
For over two decades we became inseparable, and the Man became as much a Brother to me as any.
We guided antelope together, ran ponies into the mountains each and every fall, and literally took dozens of fine elk, sheep, goats, and deer when in each other's company.
Wasn't simply hunting, we spent a lot of time together in the off seasons. I would wander out to The Hat and work the cows whenever needed, at least three or four times a year. My Lady he treated as a Queen, and she too formed a very strong bond with this Fine Country Gentleman.

Another passion we shared was fishing. One spring a fair ways back now, he called and asked me to join him on another run to Northern Saskatchewan chasing lakers. Unfortunately I was just then headed offshore, work in the form of fishing. In the years since I had moved to the Arctic (where he of course made several trips to) and the Coast (where I hosted him to many a Tyee) we still managed to get together to hunt or fish multiple times each year.
So, we had a good chat, and agreed to touch base upon our mutual returns to shore...

Was never meant to be. Had a few days left in our opening when I call the call from my Lady.
Could tell she was very emotional, and shuddered when she said You are going to want to sit down now...
Ricky had suffered a massive heart attack while battling his largest lake trout to date.
He fell out of the boat, but was recovered by another Buddy immediately.
It was too late.
He was gone....

I bawled like a suckin' calf stripped from it's mom. Could not believe my Partner had left.
And so damn young, he had not made 50.
I could not finish the season.
My fishing Partner ran me in, and I ran first home to console my Lady, then to his Parents side to do the same there.
Playing the "tough" role in this instance was one of the harder things I have ever done.

Today, a fair bit of time has passed.
Yet I think of him weekly still.
And quite often when I manage to push this aging carcass up yet another mountain ridge, I feel his presence beside me.
The memories will never die, nor will my bond with this Fine Cowboy.

My span is drawing closer to it's end.
At this point I recognize that, and am beginning to be comfortable in that understanding.
Some time remains, and I will continue to live as much like I always have as I possibly can.
But soon enough I will see my ol' Pard again, and welcome his call of Saddle Up Buddy, Let's Ride once again...

https://i.imgur.com/b1hD2b3.jpg

Until then, Rest Easy Ricky...

Sadly,
Matt

PS: Ace - My most sincere Condolences. That is a damn tough row to hoe.

LYKTOHUNT
12-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Nicely said and done IronNoggin

widger
12-09-2017, 04:12 PM
I lost my hunting partner/mentor two years ago and like many here I think of him often and especially when out chasing geese in Sask. He taught me to hunt and shoot but also respect for the resource. Miss him.

Piperdown
12-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Left too early.

Ace i am so sorry to hear this, my and my wifes heart felt prayers go out to you and you family.

ACE
12-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts ..... very much appreciated.
Good hunting partners are a gift to you. Enjoy them, appreciate them, and carry them through the tough times. Give more than you take.
The folks that have posted here with their stories of past friendships and shared campfires are an inspiration .....
Again, thank you ...

hunter1947
12-09-2017, 04:38 PM
I feel for you so sorry the hear ,,I lost my best friend in a hunting accident he was shot in the chest by another hunter Danny died in my arms his last words where I am hit pertly bad Wayne I dream about this accident for 53 years :(

dougan
12-09-2017, 04:59 PM
My sincerest condolences to all of you ,and at the same time thank you for sharing your stories . Threads like these make a guy stop and think of the people around them and hopefully make them appreciate every minute they get to enjoy there company . Again thank you.

4 point
12-11-2017, 11:17 AM
As an older hunter I have only one hunting patner left to go with. We made it out this fall many times in our home Reg 3. He is awaiting double catarac surgery which he needs really badly. Hopefully will have great sight for next season and more.

On a sombre note we used to see/visit two guys every October who set up a hunt camp for that month each year and with whom we have visited with every year for years. In our last visit in October 2016 Gary said he had a throat problem and had a doctors appointment in early November. This year our first trip out early in early October we stopped by their usual camp location and Wayne & a new friend were there. When we asked when will Gary arrive we were told “ Gary will not be coming any longer, he passed away in August from throat cancer at 71.” We were both floored to hear this news and it brought some sober second thought about life. Rest in peace Gary.

HappyJack
12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
I feel for you so sorry the hear ,,I lost my best friend in a hunting accident he was shot in the chest by another hunter Danny died in my arms his last words where I am hit pertly bad Wayne I dream about this accident for 53 years :(

Geez, that would be an awful experience, sorry to hear you had to go through that.

albravo2
12-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Left too early.

Heartbreaking. A man's worst nightmare. Sorry.

Frango
12-11-2017, 04:33 PM
I am in my late 60's and have lost a lot of hunting partners over the years. Most were much older than I. Great friends and hunting buds. All but a couple have died and some don't hunt anymore. Perhaps a dozen years ago I was lucky enough to hook up with my current hunting partners. They are 10 to 15 years younger. I went from the youngest to the oldest in camp. I can still hold my own but when the time comes they will cut me some slack . Finding good hunting partners can be tough loosing one is harder.

Brez
12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Left too early.
That's a terrible thing to have happen. My sympathies.

BimmerBob
12-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Left too early.

That is a tough go ACE, my sincere and heartfelt sympathies to you on your loss.

Brez
12-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Can't imagine what that would be like. Very sorry to hear anyone has had to go through something like that. I hope the dreams get better to deal with and the good times are remembered more than the bad.

moosinaround
12-11-2017, 07:20 PM
My hunting mentor died many moons ago, my great uncle was the guy who would drag me out after school to drive for him. Learned many things from him, good and bad, I think fondly of him often. My father in law was a pretty good hunting partner, always up for any adventure, try to show me up, I miss that bugger so bad, we never got a chance to elk hunt together.

My current hunting partners are three of my very best friends, 2 of them I met from HBC, the third, my wife delivered to me 20yrs ago, my son. I am lucky to have had my life touched by many good friends, hunting partners, family, and I try to help people out as I progress through my hunting career, as others have helped me. Moosin

okas
12-11-2017, 07:35 PM
sometimes it is a good thing as just drink and blame the world . Most old guys are cranky anyway

Bugle M In
12-11-2017, 08:07 PM
And here I was "feeling pissed off" with my self, cause my best friend and supposed "future long" hunting partner
keeps bailing on me, year after year, for those few short weekend hunt in the month of November.
(Every year he keeps telling me "it's going to be different, and he is "good to go" for the upcoming season,
"all in"...yada yada, but then.....nothing, no call...gone)
Because of my current situation, affordability/physical, "on my own" won't work.

I was lucky to have a father, my true best friend, to have had countless of great years and memories, always
dependable, and just as full of passion, if not more.
But age has brought this to an end....

I know many here have had similar experiences, hunting with a parent.
And others, who have also had friends bail.
I read some of the hardships of other's....
But, especially yours ACE, puts it "back into perspective for me".
I truly am sorry for what you endure each year, everyday, and especially on the "past memories" time of season.
Most people can understand, but, when you become a parent, you can then relate even more so.

LYKTOHUNT
12-11-2017, 08:16 PM
sometimes it is a good thing as just drink and blame the world . Most old guys are cranky anyway
Really, a good thing, wow,messed up

okas
12-11-2017, 08:35 PM
i miss my dad . but every body dies in this world and no age limit that is the way it is . And some old people should just stay home . i love a old guy to hang around camp but please slow up on the booze

REMINGTON JIM
12-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts ..... very much appreciated.
Good hunting partners are a gift to you. Enjoy them, appreciate them, and carry them through the tough times. Give more than you take.
The folks that have posted here with their stories of past friendships and shared campfires are an inspiration .....
Again, thank you ...

Greg YOUR a HELL of a man to even be able to chat about it ! Glad your my Friend too ! Cheers :smile: RJ

glennw89
12-11-2017, 09:25 PM
My grandfather is 86 years old and hasn't hunted in probably 25 years ... but it was his stories of the Ottawa Valley deer camps of yore that hooked me into hunting when I was just a little kid. I was spellbound as he recounted his stories of traveling back into the woods with horses and wagons, buying his Marlin 336 30-30 brand new for $60 in 1947 at the age of 16, and the wild tales of he and his brothers pursuing the wily "big woods" bucks. I have taken my grandfather out wild turkey hunting a few times in recent years when the weather and his health have allowed. A few years ago I called several jakes into 15 meters and had them gobbling up a storm as he and I sat there. My grandfather was thrilled .... I'll treasure that memory for the rest of my hunting career even though I never pulled the trigger.

My dad didn't hunt (an accident in his early 20s where he accidentally shot another member of his grouse hunting partner traumatized him - the other hunter survived and lived into his late 80s) when I was growing up. In recent years I have convinced him to come wild turkey hunting with me and each year he comes with me a few times. In 2013 I called in a group of jakes and my dad was able to take one of them - with the very same shotgun (it was a wedding gift) from the terrible incident decades before. I was glad to give him a positive hunting memory ...

Most of the deer camps in my area of central/eastern Ontario are filled with aging hunters. The hunting pressure is still high, but it is mostly older guys on ATVs and in trucks now. Another decade will bring fundamental change to this area.

I'm envious of those who have committed and long term hunting friends/partners. It's hard to find them - many of the younger hunters I have "mentored" have moved away, etc. Much of my hunting is done solo now - by necessity, not choice.

Time is something no one is guaranteed and at 39 I'm more keenly aware of that than ever .... I've had a lifelong dream of a backcountry mountain elk hunt in Alberta/British Columbia. I've pretty much given up on the Hunter Host options and such and will probably have to write the large cheque for a guided hunt to make it happen .... I hope to make it happen within the next few years.

frase
12-12-2017, 06:57 AM
So sorry for your loss and I share your pain. Lost our son to cancer at 18 yrs old but one of my favourite memories is that he was with us at deer camp in the previous November and he was so proud of his 2 pt WT-his first buck. He was on chemo at the time. Even after 20 years the pain is still there but so are the great memories and enjoyment he gave us. Being able to talk about it in sites like this makes you proud to have had the time you did with him and enjoy your memories. Again, I share your loss and the high regard you had for your son and good for you for missing him -you always will.

two-feet
12-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Damn near lost my 5 year old son to meningitis this year. That, and the passing of my mother have given me clarity on what truly matters in life. Its not wealth, possessions, status, or any of the other bullshit that can tangle you up. Life must be lived for family, friends, expirience, laughs, passions. To chase anything else is to chase a mirage, you will come up empty handed.

floden
12-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Sorry to hear about losses and close calls . This thread brought back the real reason I hunt and that I believe hunting is important. Because it brings us closer to each other , it's a reason to get together --plan for the future ,hang out ( no devices in hand) , and then have memories to look back on.

I take my young son out with my dad as much as I can. Those rabbits and grouse are real trophies to all of us.

this thread is why I hunt