PDA

View Full Version : Judging Caribou?

Brambles
08-11-2007, 09:09 PM
O.K. getting prepared for our mixed bag hunt, first time hunting Caribou, and Stones, wanted to do it last year but the timing wasn't right.

I know very little about scoring caribou, I know how to tell legal from not-legal but as far as what a 300 or 400 inch bull looks like I don't really know.

I'm hoping to get a bull larger than 300 with my bow for P&Y

Any pointers?

300 wsm
08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
great question cause i have no clue

Lil Buck
08-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I would suggest going to the pope and young site or the B&C site .
It does take some experience to get good at judging any critter..

You want good bez and length,double shovel is always a big help .

Go to trophy photos . com and look at the caribou there...

Good luck...lil buck:-P

willy442
08-12-2007, 06:18 PM
The main measurements on a caribou are:
1 Length of main beam.
2 Length of first and second longest top points.
3 Length and number of points on bez.
4 Length and width of shovel or shovels if two.
5 Rear points are a must. (1/2 way up main beam) you loose major on score if these are missing.
6 Spread is also a measurement but not as important as the above.
7 Circumfrences are taken between first and second longest points, rear point if present and 1st top point, rear point if present and bez, between bez and shovel. (these are fairly standard numbers with the exception of the first and second top point measurement, which can increase with the amount of mass or palmation up top.

Back a couple of months ago some good bulls were posted here on the site if you have time to look back.

Good Luck

willy442
08-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I found the thread and brought it forward. All the caribou pictured here are first class bulls.

Brambles
08-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the tips anyone have a picture of a 300 inch bull?

30-06
08-13-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.travelalaskaoutdoors.com/images/pic_wildlife-rivers1.jpg this is a 300 + bull

Brambles
08-13-2007, 11:15 AM
300+?? how much plus???

a 400" bull is 300+ too, just plus 100"

That looks like a nice looking bull, definitly shoot that one if I seen one like it

30-06
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
300 + as in it is at least 300 if not more

bighornbob
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Judging caribou can be tricky but if you look at what the B&C uses to add up score. Like in sheep a broomed ram is better then a long horn as you get 4 mass measurements and only one length.

In a caribou look for some palmated tops as you get to count this twice. Once in the width of the palms and another time for circumference between the two longest points, as the longest point usually comes from the top palm. Also the 2 longest points are measured to the bottom of the palm edge of the palm not the top as in deer and elk.

So if you have a 8 inch palm on one side, you would get 8 inches for width of palm, say about 16 inches (depends where points are) for circumference between top 2 points and another 16 inches of length for the top two points if they are coming off of that palm. So as you can see good tops really add to the score in a hurry.

The bez only has one measure and that is length, it can have 10 points but it only gets one measure of length. Total points due count.

A second shovel is also something to look for a most bulls dont have one so its a bonus. Even just a long point will add about 10 inches to the score even with no shovel.

I disagree with willy442, rear points are not a must. They are a bonus and anything over 6 inches is good. Most top bulls dont have more then a inch or 2.

Like i said they are tough as there are a bunch of things to look for. I shot one that scored 343 and to make book it only needed about 2 inches or more on the top shovels and about a 10 inch second brow shovel point (most carry this also known as the "pick") as opposed to the 1 inch point it had.

I will send you some pics.

BHB

willy442
08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
BHB: Thats fine if you want to disagree with me; However if the rear point is not present you loose the length of that point on bothsides and you will also loose on the circumference measurements. I don't have the Boone and Crockett measuring criteria in front of me but I believe these measurements are refered to as H-2 and H-3. If the rear point is not present both these measurements are taken at the smallest place in circumference between the bez and first top point, instead of at intervals below and above the rear point.

For example if rear points are 3 inches long times 2 = 6 and usually you can pick up another couple in circumference if rear points are present. This totals 8 points or more, I,ve guided for Caribou that the rear points have been in excess of 8 inches.

The photo posted by 30-06 is closer to 400 than 300. My estimate would be about 380+

Brambles
08-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks BHB that info was very educational, looking forward to the pics

30-06
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
BHB: Thats fine if you want to disagree with me; However if the rear point is not present you loose the length of that point on bothsides and you will also loose on the circumference measurements. I don't have the Boone and Crockett measuring criteria in front of me but I believe these measurements are refered to as H-2 and H-3. If the rear point is not present both these measurements are taken at the smallest place in circumference between the bez and first top point, instead of at intervals below and above the rear point.

For example if rear points are 3 inches long times 2 = 6 and usually you can pick up another couple in circumference if rear points are present. This totals 8 points or more, I,ve guided for Caribou that the rear points have been in excess of 8 inches.

The photo posted by 30-06 is closer to 400 than 300. My estimate would be about 380+

ya.im not sure what that bull would be.i just typed in 300 inch bull caribou on google and that picture popped up so i got it

bigwhiteys
08-13-2007, 02:04 PM
These first four racks are all 375"-395" bulls.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/bigcaribou2.jpg

This one below went 428" gross.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/bigcaribou.jpg

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Brambles
08-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Are these big bulls pretty common in B.C.? seems like most of the guide outfitter websites I go to are littered with these quality bulls in large numbers, seems like a 300" bull is actually a small bull.

What do you think would be a decent bull to hold out for in the East Dease area 6-23 would be?

Hypothetically speeking if you seen two legal bulls together with equal mainbeams and spreads but one had insane tops and weak bez and shovels the other had insane bez and shovels with weak tops... Which one would be a better bull? I'm guessing the better tops but????

Thanks again for the crash course on Caribou 101

Brambles

Brambles
08-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Another question

What would you compare say a 380 caribou to another animal

IE: a 380 caribou is as common as a 330 bull elk or 170 mule, how would you compare?

willy442
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Another question

What would you compare say a 380 caribou to another animal

IE: a 380 caribou is as common as a 330 bull elk or 170 mule, how would you compare?

Compareable to either in the area you are going. A 300 caribou is a small bull. We used to average 375-380 on our guided hunts near where you are going. Unlike other animals alot of different things can make a Caribou score good or bad. When you see a good bull you'll know it.

riflebuilder
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
My daughter got a good Caribou her first hunting trip. I just love good tops, but a bull with all tops, bez and big shovels is somthing I would love to get. I would post a picture but I don't know how to shrink them.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Brambles
Don't know where you and your bro are headed but that area we discussed has produced 3 -400"+ bulls for one guy alone. They are there. Not great numbers that you should see to chase them with your bow but you should see some good bulls if you hunt hard and not just glass from the valley bottoms.

SSS

Brambles
08-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Anyone know if Caribou move all day or are they more like mule deer and move mainly in early mornings and late evenings?

one-shot-wonder
08-16-2007, 12:11 PM
We came across a pretty nice bou last fall while sheep hunting, some pretty good video of a bou in full rut. any body want to post the pics for me, I can't.

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2007, 01:33 PM
We came across a pretty nice bou last fall while sheep hunting, some pretty good video of a bou in full rut. any body want to post the pics for me, I can't.

Here they are. This thing was so damned big, One Shit was afraid to shoot it!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/caribou1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/caribou2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/caribou3.jpg

Brambles
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
WOW WOW WOW, I'd take him in a heartbeat anyone got a guess on the score?

Did you think about shooting him, what time of the year was that? Thanks for they eye candy

one-shot-wonder
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
WOW WOW WOW, I'd take him in a heartbeat anyone got a guess on the score?

Did you think about shooting him, what time of the year was that? Thanks for they eye candy

Oh we thought about it.....but when you are 14 km back on foot sheep hunting, you really have to stick to your priorities.

The video gives a better look at this guy his width is second too none!

It was October....nothing beats the late season :cool:

bighornbob
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I would the bull is about 350 give or take 20 inches either way. It does not look like he has a second brow palm but he could have a long point there that would add to the score. Definate shooter.

BHB

willy442
08-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Not to get in a peeing match with BHB but that Caribou has excellent tops, excellent Bez's, very good shovel, long rear points, good main beam length and spread. Not a lot of palmation on the main beam and can't tell what the right side has for a point or shovel. But still a very good Bull in the 390 class.

Brambles
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
So would it be better to have shorter points and more palmation or longer points like this guys got?

one-shot-wonder
08-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Not to get in a peeing match with BHB but that Caribou has excellent tops, excellent Bez's, very good shovel, long rear points, good main beam length and spread. Not a lot of palmation on the main beam and can't tell what the right side has for a point or shovel. But still a very good Bull in the 390 class.

I should really post the video we got of this guy, these photos don't do it any justice.
I am no caribou expert but I would say this bull is close to a 400 class,especially if the bou 30-06 posted up is in the 380 class.

willy442
08-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I should really post the video we got of this guy, these photos don't do it any justice.
I am no caribou expert but I would say this bull is close to a 400 class,especially if the bou 30-06 posted up is in the 380 class.

Being a guide for many years, I tend to be a bit conservative when judging via the Boone and Crockett point system. Over the years we took many big Caribou and this one you posted is as good as any Bull I ever got except one that went 428. To bad you were so far away it's a shame you let this Bull walk, but good on ya for doing things right and not just dropping him and leaving the meat.

Brambles IF YOU SEE THIS BULL SHOOT FIRST ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT SIZE LATER!!

willy442
08-16-2007, 06:55 PM
So would it be better to have shorter points and more palmation or longer points like this guys got?

The only points you want to concern yourself with are the first and second longest top points. To have them as long as possible is usually better for score than mass, unless the mass is tremendous. The thing with Caribou ( as you are learning ) is thier horn styles vary so much, each one can score good in different ways. Like I said before if you look at him through a spotting scope and try to make him big, he is most likely not. When you look and go holy shit. SHOOT

Flinch
08-16-2007, 07:33 PM
OSW,

I just watched the video again; the brow palm is on his right side and there appears to be nothing on his left, not even a nub. I think this is an awesome bull. In about 5 weeks I will be up there again and if I see him I might be crazy enough to twist BH's arm to help me pack it out!!:biggrin:

Flinch

one-shot-wonder
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
OSW,

I just watched the video again; the brow palm is on his right side and there appears to be nothing on his left, not even a nub. I think this is an awesome bull. In about 5 weeks I will be up there again and if I see him I might be crazy enough to twist BH's arm to help me pack it out!!:biggrin:

Flinch

I confirmed that as well, good memories.....still a stud bull and a no brainer if you aren't in 40" mode.:wink:

I am jealous of you guys and wish I could be there! Put a hurt on those mice up there like I did last year for me, they deserve it for keeping awake oh so many nights!!

Oh and if you see white face again dump him!

PM me upon your return, Good luck!

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I am jealous of you guys and wish I could be there! Put a hurt on those mice up there like I did last year for me, they deserve it for keeping awake oh so many nights!!

Take extra blankets Flinch. You won't have One Shit there to cuddle on those cold nights! :mrgreen: Good luck!

Stone Sheep Steve
08-18-2007, 04:24 PM
When I first saw OSW's still pics from last year taken off the video I thought he was a "nice" bull but after watching the long video version of him I had to up his status to a "great bull"! Man he was sure "horned-up" with his cows!

I'd have to say 380" min but most likely he may gross closer to 400".

SSS