PDA

View Full Version : Late bow season- Region 5

WWBC
12-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I have one last hunting day free this deer season and I'm hoping to make it count.

I'm assuming the snow will be crunchy so movin around much May not be the best idea

I found lots of fresh sign in the Winter range South of Williams lake last weekend but I'm not sure how to hunt it. It's a mix of fir forest and blow down pine.
Is it worth sitting on fresh sign or game trails and waiting or rattling? Or should I try to find an area with less snow and still hunting?

Also have the deer started migrating yet? Or is the rut still on?

Any pointers would be great

thanks!

warnniklz
12-05-2017, 07:29 PM
I like to pick up on fresh sign and follow it, or follow a doe and she should lead you to a buck. Getting in close is on you.

WWBC
12-05-2017, 08:05 PM
I like to pick up on fresh sign and follow it, or follow a doe and she should lead you to a buck. Getting in close is on you.

Thanks

So there's still some rut activity going on still...? That's a good sign
I'm Looking for redemption from rookie move a couple weeks ago.
Got a hard lesson from a big deer after I got up from a morning sit watching a game trail along a river bottom. Rather than keeping my game face on and staying slow, stealthy and glassing ahead. I bumbled into timber fiddling with my pack thinking about finding a better spot when I heard a crash and watched a big deer bound over the hill in front of me.
I basicly stepped on him.

Rookie move- hard lesson....

Does rattling work for late season mule deer?

antlerking
12-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Seen mature bucks chasing does as late as Christmas will still be on if the does all haven't been bread ! Never had success rattling mules ,whitetails on the other hand lots of fun!

warnniklz
12-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Last week there was a two point with his nose up a does ass

WWBC
12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
That's what I need to find.

Too bad it's not going to snow more this week.

tinhorse
12-05-2017, 09:49 PM
The young 2s and 3s will be chasing the does still hoping to get lucky. Like said, find some does and try and get close. Bucks should be near by. I've done well in the late Bow seasons.

markomoose
12-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Some friends were at Meldrum last weekend and saw a number of bucks.Crunchy snow and arrows flung but no hits.The usual excuses??

WWBC
12-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Good to Hear!
Looking forward to my first try at bow hunting.