PDA

View Full Version : BC CO Service: ... killing and leaving of several elk and the wounding of others

dapesche
12-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Hopefully they find the people that did this. Just crossed the twitter feed....

The Peace BCCOS have responded to and are currently investigating a disturbing incident regarding the killing and leaving of several elk and the wounding of others. Anyone with information please call 1-877-952-RAPP. May remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward.

Bugle M In
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
I really hope they figure out who was responsible for this.....really sucks.

Lugg
12-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Any links, where was it?

digger dogger
12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
There is a lot of poaching going on in the peace.
I've ran into a CO, the last two times I've hunted the peace area.
Shooting within road allowances, and outright poaching off of private land, without permission.
Fricken brutal.

okas
12-04-2017, 04:27 PM
yup as there were two COs that went along with this ??

dapesche
12-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Tried to find a link to post as well. This was through their Twitter account and no link to full story was attached.

Just don't get how people could do this kind of bullshit. Penalties are obviously not severe enough.

huntingfamily
12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
http://pgdailynews.ca/index.php/2017/12/04/elk-killed-and-wounded-in-peace-region/

sakohunter
12-04-2017, 06:58 PM
What an massive waste of fine animals. I hope that they are recovered quickly and give to family's in need this season. It is dirtbag's like this that make it hard for people to access private land and get support from the none hunting public. I agree that the punishment for this type of action need to be higher. It would be nice to see a Robo elk and a sting in place to get these poachers.

I am going to be heading up North for the 7-20 elk hunt with the family later this month and I can just imagine that the doors will be closing all across the region for the honest hunting family's. This is a truly sad day again for us all.

walks with deer
12-04-2017, 07:20 PM
i hate to speculate but cause could be..
1.pissed off rancher elk ruining his hay.
2.due two dates inexperinced draw holders accidently herd shooting..late season elk can be tough to get a clean shot.
3.some drunk ass hat with a auto loader that thinks hes funny.

limit time
12-04-2017, 09:25 PM
i hate to speculate but cause could be..
1.pissed off rancher elk ruining his hay.
2.due two dates inexperinced draw holders accidently herd shooting..late season elk can be tough to get a clean shot.
3.some drunk ass hat with a auto loader that thinks hes funny.
cause the “auto loader” was the problem ....

4 point
12-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Time of shooting reportly was at 5:30pm. Wouldn’t it be dark at that time?

HarryToolips
12-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Hopefully they nail the poachers...

Big Lew
12-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Time of shooting reportly was at 5:30pm. Wouldn’t it be dark at that time?

If that were the case, it could have been person(s) shooting the bunch hoping that one
would turn out to be legal. I've seen evidence of this several times over the years.
There are some pretty callous, unscrupulous, and uncaring individuals out there. I've also
seen where someone has purposely fatally shot an animal just to watch it suffer before dying.
The first animal I saw that was callously shot was a big range bull on the way to Gaspard Lake
on the Gang Ranch. The people that killed it did so out of spite because a young cowboy
wouldn't tow their heavy disabled 2wd truck with camper out of an area with signage stating
"4 wheel drive only, no towing available beyond this place."

Mosin
12-05-2017, 03:48 AM
cause the “auto loader” was the problem ....

There were many animals shot suggesting someone with an autoloader, no where did he mention that the autoloader was the problem. Give ur head a shake before u post and pick good intentioned people's posts apart.

MRP
12-05-2017, 08:22 AM
what gets me going is they blame hunters. I think bcwf should take them to task on the wording.

Cyrus
12-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Next time a land owner says no...you know why. I know a local rancher having same issue as well as other stories of increased poaching this year. Seems like there are less and less ethical hunters out there that will do anything to get their next great Facebook profile pic. Just gives the antics more ammo.

Jack Russell
12-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Next time a land owner says no...you know why. I know a local rancher having same issue as well as other stories of increased poaching this year. Seems like there are less and less ethical hunters out there that will do anything to get their next great Facebook profile pic. Just gives the antics more ammo.

Did you ever hit a nail on the head. What people will do to be "instafamous". I don't think its a fad either.

As to the poaching, thats hard to hear about. Landowners are going to be on the look out. What a shameful waste.

Buckmeister
12-05-2017, 10:29 AM
what gets me going is they blame hunters. I think bcwf should take them to task on the wording.

CBC radio this morning called them hunters, and that the activity was illegal. Wording like that leaves a negative feel to hunting. These were not hunting, they were poaching. As far as I am concerned, hunting is a perfectly good and legal activity. Poaching is anything that does not sit within the word of the law and rules. These characters were far outside the definitions of legal hunting.

walks with deer
12-05-2017, 01:35 PM
hmm more info on line sounds like a truck load of guys...they where confronted by land owner and fled..sounds like a bad judgment call by some draw holders...unfortunatley they are probably on this site..
sounds like pushing the legal light and trespassing..than abandonment...ughh big black eye.

northof49
12-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Without a doubt this is wrong.....but why is it when it involves FNs in similar scenario on private land without permission it doesn’t make the news. Just saying.

HappyJack
12-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Without a doubt this is wrong.....but why is it when it involves FNs in similar scenario on private land without permission it doesn’t make the news. Just saying.

Because that ain't news obviously!!

Our government really HAS to up the anti on all these poachers....start with $10,000 fines and seizure of firearms and vehicles and go up from there!!

KBC
12-05-2017, 07:56 PM
There is an article on CBC news about this written by Andrew Kurjata. Originally it was pretty negative towards hunters but I politely emailed him the following;
Hi,
The men in your article referred to as “hunters” are actually poachers. The vast majority of us hunters are ethical, safe and law abiding. Please do not lump myself or many others like me into the same category as poachers/criminals.
Thank you,

He replied quite quickly and reviewed his article. Several spots were edited including the headline in a way that did not paint us in such a bad way. I thanked him for reviewing it and said if he ever wanted to do an article from a hunters perspective, I would find him some people far more well spoken than myself.

I’m going to start doing this more often, hopefully it will help make a difference.

dapesche
12-05-2017, 11:49 PM
There is an article on CBC news about this written by Andrew Kurjata. Originally it was pretty negative towards hunters but I politely emailed him the following;
Hi,
The men in your article referred to as “hunters” are actually poachers. The vast majority of us hunters are ethical, safe and law abiding. Please do not lump myself or many others like me into the same category as poachers/criminals.
Thank you,

He replied quite quickly and reviewed his article. Several spots were edited including the headline in a way that did not paint us in such a bad way. I thanked him for reviewing it and said if he ever wanted to do an article from a hunters perspective, I would find him some people far more well spoken than myself.

I’m going to start doing this more often, hopefully it will help make a difference.

Thank you for going out of your way to do that. Small things add up...

stinkyduck
12-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Good on you KBC, I thought the samething, just never did anything about it, unlike you.

KBC
12-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks but it was pretty easy and took 2 minutes. Hopefully seeing how easy it was to make even a small change will get more of us to do the same. I've always thought about doing stuff like that but figured it wouldn't matter. I'm not sure why I decided to go ahead with it this time but I'm glad I did.

Let's all start pushing back politely and with facts, I find friends or acquaintances opinions are pretty easy to change when you aren't an angry douche bag and you present honest facts and well thought reasons why.