PDA

View Full Version : Cowichan Bay Cleanup

Ron.C
12-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Hi all,

A couple years back, one of the members here organized a Cowichan Bay marsh cleanup. About 8 people showed up and we took out a truck load of garbage. I was hunting Widgeon Island yesterday and there was no shortage of shotgun shell hulls and other trash lying about. I'm sure the dyke area and DU marsh is no different.

Would anyone be interested in participating in one when the current season closes? If so, I'll contact the local garbage and recycling center and see if they will comp is the tipping fees.

mwalter
12-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Yep i will help most weekends i am available i have truck and mid size utility trailer.

wingmaster
12-04-2017, 06:39 PM
ID be happy to pitch in a weekend

flying duck
12-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Glad to which weekend

Ron.C
12-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Let's shoot for 27 Jan.

boblly1
12-06-2017, 08:50 AM
i will help just need confirmation and directions. I am on the island just never been there i have my own truck.

Ron.C
12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
I'll post a reminder and directions for where we can meet as the date nears.
A few small boats and or canoes will be required ( I have a couple). And you will want waders. We can sort out the details the week before.

Ajsawden
12-06-2017, 10:03 AM
I have a canoe and a 12 foot tinny, don't own waders though. Would be interested in helping if i'm around at the time you guys decide.

deltawaterfowler
12-06-2017, 11:45 AM
It's really nice to see hunters rolling up their sleeves and helping clean up our shoreline! Good on you guys!

Downtown
12-06-2017, 12:30 PM
If there is a cleanup before 31 December 2017 or after April 01/2018 please let me know as I love to help out and yes I could bring a Dinghy.
Been involved in a few cleanups, it just feels like the right thing to do.

Thank's

Chopper333
12-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Count me in. Never been there before but wouldn't mind meeting some fellow waterfowlers. I have waders but no small boat. Is my dopey lab welcome...

Cheers

Ron.C
12-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Is my dopey lab welcome...

Absolutely

Ron.C
12-08-2017, 01:26 PM
I have contacted the CVRD and was sent a Tipping Fee Exemption Application.

I 'll need a couple pick up truck licence plate numbers "for the application" for those who don't mind hauling the trash we collect to the Bings Creek facility when we're done. Last time, we had one truck with an 8' box loaded full. But I'd like to add 3 plate numbers just to make sure we got it covered. I'm going to apply for a 2 tonne load exemption. This will not include recyclables like metal, tires which are no charge. Not saying we'll collect this much, but you never know.

Please PM me if you don't mind hauling from Cow Bay to Bings Creek. "about a 15 minute drive". I'll need you plate number.

cheers

thanks, Ron

Ron.C
01-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Well, I hate to say this but the cleanup is a bust. My application for a tipping fee exemption was denied because I am not doing this as a school district, registeted non profit society or charity. This is based on CVRD bylaw 4110. Pretty sad that everyday folks cant
try and do some good and not be supported. Ill be following this up and recommending an ammendment to this bylaw.

I cant afford the tipping fee for a group effort, but ill be headed out on Saturday to clean up Widgeon Island and as many other areas as I can and Ill pay for the disposal myself. Help is appreciated but I have to ask that you dispose of the trash you collect

Jagermeister
01-25-2018, 12:10 PM
If you belong to rod and gun or such, organize it through the club and you should get the exemption. It should not matter who participates

deltawaterfowler
01-25-2018, 02:21 PM
That blows that you couldn't get the city support. The city of Delta was really helpful and offered to pick up all the trash free of charge; they even provided pickers and garbage bags... I just couldn't get people to commit on my side of the pond. Going to try again, I really want to get this done and clean up our neck of the woods.

Ron.C
01-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Headed out on Saturday. The bay is a mess. The recent high tides and storms don't help and lots of crap ends up in washing into common duck hunting spots.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/garbage.jpg

lorneparker1
01-31-2018, 02:22 PM
Nice work Ron!

deltawaterfowler
02-01-2018, 02:11 PM
You should send that photo to city council and cc the local newspaper. Send them a note with the photo suggesting this:

"If this is what one man can bring out of the bay, imagine what many hands could accomplish. Our bylaws need to change; if citizens want to give back to do good by our environment we shouldn't be hindered by asinine bylaws that prohibit us from doing so." Maybe then the city might buy in next time around.

Good for you Ron!

VLD43
02-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Ron
Great work and good to see. Just a thought here. If you plan on doing this next year, let me know. I would suggest that this kind of thing would be good PR for both gun clubs in the area and hunting in the bay. With some preplanning, I think I could probably get you some funding from the clubs. As you are probably aware, I am on the Exec, with one of the clubs, and know some Exec from the other club. As was suggested by another poster, getting the press involved would also be a good thing.