PDA

View Full Version : Senior Hunts.

Hunterguy
12-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Why is it there are not more openings to seniors compared to youth hunts. Yes I love to see the openings for the youth to introduce them to enjoy the outdoors for years to come but their mentors, grandparents etc. are counting down their chance for that one last hunt.

Blainer
12-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Or disabled?
I recall older friends telling me stories of hunting for others on welfare subsistence tags.
Maybe someone might recall?

dougan
12-02-2017, 08:39 PM
I agree there should be more senior hunts . This would be a great way to reduce animal causing damage on farm land. I'm sure farmers would be on board as well

landphil
12-02-2017, 09:16 PM
So seniors, who are typically retired and able to hunt 7 days a week should get their own seasons, because the youth get their seasons that give them a weekend or two of preferential hunting (School starts same time as youth seasons). Hmm. I'm OK with disagreeing with that idea.

Hunterguy
12-02-2017, 09:44 PM
If you read it correctly I was not complaining about your hunts but comparing it to seniors who are in their late years and might want to spend some quality hunting with a son or daughter for a day or so. Relax your will be there one day!

northof49
12-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Agree with landphil. Why? I have to work all the time.....guess I should get special season too. I respect seniors and all and almost am one, but doesnt make much sense to me.

albravo2
12-02-2017, 10:19 PM
So seniors, who are typically retired and able to hunt 7 days a week should get their own seasons, because the youth get their seasons that give them a weekend or two of preferential hunting (School starts same time as youth seasons). Hmm. I'm OK with disagreeing with that idea.

Exactly. Not to mention the average senior hunter has forgotten more than most of us will ever know. Youth hunts are preferential to get them an opportunity. Nothing motivates like success.

dougan
12-02-2017, 10:22 PM
So seniors, who are typically retired and able to hunt 7 days a week should get their own seasons, because the youth get their seasons that give them a weekend or two of preferential hunting (School starts same time as youth seasons). Hmm. I'm OK with disagreeing with that idea. it's more of an accessibility issue for most senior hunters I know . My dad was a go getter now his knees are shot ect . So having something in place as far as a seniors draw would be great.

HarryToolips
12-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Agreed..........

Jagermeister
12-03-2017, 02:09 AM
Agree with landphil. Why? I have to work all the time.....guess I should get special season too. I respect seniors and all and almost am one, but doesnt make much sense to me.
You do! It’s called weekends. Think about it. If us old guys still had our senior seasons, there would be far fewer out competing with you others and that way you wouldn’t have an old fart around every corner. Does it make sense now?

Bear Chaser
12-03-2017, 07:39 AM
I am with others and feel there is no need for special seasons for seniors. Plenty of time to hunt the weekdays if they don’t want to compete with the weekend warriors.

blacklab
12-03-2017, 08:29 AM
One season for all.

Bernie O
12-03-2017, 09:52 AM
I am a 75 yr. old senior and still hunt actively. My thoughts are in favour of youth to bring in more hunters, But as long as you are still active the regular season is good. If you cant cut it you should not be out there, Some one needs to keep the fire going and the camp safe. That will hopefully be my job when I hit the big 80.

northof49
12-03-2017, 10:59 AM
You do! It’s called weekends. Think about it. If us old guys still had our senior seasons, there would be far fewer out competing with you others and that way you wouldn’t have an old fart around every corner. Does it make sense now?

No it doesnt.....likely they would hunt the special senior season as well as other regular season anyway.

MichelD
12-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Or disabled?
I recall older friends telling me stories of hunting for others on welfare subsistence tags.
Maybe someone might recall?

If I recall correctly, (in the mid 1970's) the subsistence tag was only available if you could prove absolute destitution, as in having been refused welfare, exhausted all options of borrowing from family and various other stringent criteria.

As far as senior hunts go, I wish some people would read the regulations synopsis before taking advantage of a senior hunt.

We ran into a guy in October in 2-11 who believed that there was a wide-open season for does for seniors in that area.

There is a youth/senior doe season in 2-11 September 10 to 30 but only in a small zone that is almost entirely private property requiring permission to hunt there.

landphil
12-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Exactly. Not to mention the average senior hunter has forgotten more than most of us will ever know. Youth hunts are preferential to get them an opportunity. Nothing motivates like success.

And that’s why youth seasons have my full support. If hunting is to have a future, it’s because our young people take it onto the future.

it's more of an accessibility issue for most senior hunters I know . My dad was a go getter now his knees are shot ect . So having something in place as far as a seniors draw would be great.

I don’t understand what you are saying. I can certainly sympatize with mobility issues, whether they be age related or not. But wouldn’t hunting together with family and friends during a GOS and having help with the heavy work be better? Can you explain what you mean, as I’m not understanding how a special season would help accessibility.

IronNoggin
12-03-2017, 12:03 PM
... This would be a great way to reduce animal causing damage on farm land. I'm sure farmers would be on board as well

Dunno about the senior hunts so much, but I do know someone who could help you with your farmland damage problem :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

steel_ram
12-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Yup. seven days a week and as the boomers retire even more seniors. We've lived and hunted in the best of times. Be happy with that.

russm
12-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Accessibility issues are accessibility issues whether there's a special season or not, typically seniors are retired and able to go out whenever they want, I don't see the need for a special season.

New Bow Hunter
12-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Me, I am quite happy the way it is, since I can hunt calf moose. Leave it alone

Jagermeister
12-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Me, I am quite happy the way it is, since I can hunt calf moose. Leave it alone
Dam! You would have to bring that up.

Bugle M In
12-03-2017, 02:22 PM
I think there is more then enough time for seniors to hunt along with the rest of us.
They do have more time on their hands, and can plan trips during the weekday if they wish.
If they have a "disability", they can apply for a "disability permit".
It allows them to go into areas that most of us would normally be restricted to with a vehicle.
I think that is fair enough, as I am getting older, and I do understand that the body can "break down", making
some hunts near impossible to do without some assistance or easier access.

As for youth hunts....I agree, it is away to bring young folks into the "family of hunting".
The only down point is....some adults use this to "their advantage".
Yes, kid tags along, but sometimes they aren't the ones really hunting.
But with all things in life, there are always going to be some "bad apples" who just disregard what the
true intentions were in the first place......"self proposed entitlement" I suppose??

Anyways, I think things should stay the way they are.
My father who is turning 80 in a few months agrees, no need for a special season.
Just an understanding that he has some "special needs" due to an "old body" and "worn out/damaged parts" that
are beyond repair, especially at his age, but that his "passion" for hunting is still the same as when he was in
his 20's.
Hopefully people can understand that...and remember...we all get to that point, some just get there faster then
others.

ajeatoo
12-03-2017, 03:40 PM
I think there is more then enough time for seniors to hunt along with the rest of us.
They do have more time on their hands, and can plan trips during the weekday if they wish.
If they have a "disability", they can apply for a "disability permit".
It allows them to go into areas that most of us would normally be restricted to with a vehicle.
I think that is fair enough, as I am getting older, and I do understand that the body can "break down", making
some hunts near impossible to do without some assistance or easier access.

As for youth hunts....I agree, it is away to bring young folks into the "family of hunting".
The only down point is....some adults use this to "their advantage".
Yes, kid tags along, but sometimes they aren't the ones really hunting.
But with all things in life, there are always going to be some "bad apples" who just disregard what the
true intentions were in the first place......"self proposed entitlement" I suppose??

Anyways, I think things should stay the way they are.
My father who is turning 80 in a few months agrees, no need for a special season.
Just an understanding that he has some "special needs" due to an "old body" and "worn out/damaged parts" that
are beyond repair, especially at his age, but that his "passion" for hunting is still the same as when he was in
his 20's.
Hopefully people can understand that...and remember...we all get to that point, some just get there faster then
others.

^^^ that!

I wish this forum had a Like button for posts...

frase
12-03-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm 72 and no need for a special season for me. I walk, have a truck and ATV, and hunting partners and we can hunt whenever we want and certainly do not have a problem on booking holidays (or saving them for family holidays) or getting time off to go. Going out on opening day or on the first day of a particular season is not an issue and to try to make exceptions could be difficult. Furthermore, most of us seniors figure we are only about 50.

Rhyno
12-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Yes, let's give people who typically have the most disposable time and income a special season. I think the youth season is a great idea, give the kids a chance to get out while the game is generally less nervous and a little more cooperative. But I fail to see the need for a special senior season.

antlerking
12-03-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm far from being a senior but the more I hunt the more l enjoy watching my sons have a successful hunt then myself,my dad is the same way watching his grandsons. Been there done that let the next generation follow in our footsteps

finngun
12-12-2017, 07:45 PM
I am senior....i totally agree to have more opportunities for older ...yes you can have diasability permit,,if ya bad enaugh...im not there yet..still my high hill climping days are behind.,,thats why my young strong ones are with me..but they have to work too.

I,d like to have something same as doe season for 18or younger for older hunter..i dont think too many animals is gonna taken if that is implemented.

Jagermeister
12-12-2017, 10:35 PM
We had those special senior seasons up until the year before I qualified. Why did they remove them, who knows? Whimsical, just like the rest of the wildlife management methods.
Some of you think that we seniors are out everyday, some seem to think that seniors have disposable time and income, some seem to think that our hunting buds last forever.
Reminding you of this thread, http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?141575-Losing-your-hunting-partners Try connecting to a new old hunting partner. By the time we get to our age, we have so many quirks that finding a partner with nearly the same is down right impossible. Down the road, you will come to understand what I say.
It takes a greater degree of effort to get out, especially if you have a wife. On the other hand, if she is pushing you out the door, there may be an ulterior motive.

Mid to late season hunts are out of the question. Archery season would be doable if I could pull the bow in one easy effort. Guess I will have to go for a crossbow next season, but the crossbows are likely to be removed from that season just like the senior seasons were removed. Wouldn't want anything too easy for the ol'farts now would we!

SSG-man
12-13-2017, 09:11 AM
How bout just a key to gates for the season?

Iron Glove
12-13-2017, 10:54 AM
What's with all this "disposable income" talk about us Senior citizens ??
All I've got is "disposable diapers". :wink:
Hey, as a Senior, I'd love to have special hunting "rights", maybe lower tag fees and such ( I know, we already get a big reduction on our annual liscence ) but I agree with most here - unless it involves a real disability, treat us the same as every one else.

walks with deer
12-13-2017, 03:43 PM
okay i am 32 years old and a father of two.
mortgaged up the ass..over worked and holidays are tough... to come buy

can myself and all the other overextended over worked young dads have a young dads season..

rimfire
12-13-2017, 04:30 PM
okay i am 32 years old and a father of two.
mortgaged up the ass..over worked and holidays are tough... to come buy

can myself and all the other overextended over worked young dads have a young dads season..

I'm in. Where do we sign up?

Hunterguy
12-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Maybe your living beyond your means. Us old guys have all gone through the same as what your going through. Worked our asses off also your not the first, that’s life. Like I always say when 32 year olds complain about their lifestyles I say, I would trade you my decent pension, house paid off, etc, health problems for your age of 32!

walks with deer
12-13-2017, 06:53 PM
lol outside my means..

i remember being 26 and having a 2 year old and a 4 month old had 1.2 in payments hunting partner was in the same boat...he got a bull draw i said how many days can you take off..he said 1 i was relieved thats all i could do..we figured we had enough money for the trip up food and half a day off driving...

we headed up..made camp no sign found sighn at 3pm first day..hunkered down had bull down by 4...shot a buck on the way home...small lottery for us guys.first time i borrowed off my parents was for butcher fees..good thing butcher new me well..now i cut myself..i would agree to a senoirs season for 73 plus if science allows. other than that wow as me i am old.

walks with deer
12-13-2017, 06:54 PM
whoah as me

okas
12-13-2017, 07:28 PM
well i let this one go for a bit as i knew there would be a lot of cry babes on this site WHAAAAAA. i allways put in as much overtime as i could so i could play and family were ok . i see a lot of girly men around these days ;);-)

BgBlkDg
12-13-2017, 07:40 PM
I agree with a specific season for we resident seniors, am 71+, partially disabled and feel that certain road restrictions, seasons and so forth should be changed to accommodate me and others like me.

I also think that all GO quotas and even concessions should be changed to allow for this season and only ONE deer and ONE larger animal per season be allowed as total harvest for we who would use this season. NO more meat taken than we can eat and NO exceptions.

Seems fair to me and I concur with the gentleman above, I would trade all of my supposed senior's perks for an age reduction of 40 years or so. Wait, until YOU are crippled, cannot access the analgesics you need and the healthcare which you have paid for since 1965 and then we shall see who is unfair.

12-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm no spring chicken, dam near 60. Been dealt some life changing challenges which has totally affected my old hard core go at it style. But I still get at it, try to get er done, more often not getting er done lol.

BUT I'LL BE DAMMED if I need my own special seasons. Man oh man, if you can't get er done with our BC hunting seasons at present. You best take up bar fishing and start keeping bull heads, shinners and chub and pike minnows.

Holy Cow

Reminder, it's not about harvest, it is about WILDLIFE for the future

SSG-man
12-13-2017, 07:50 PM
We used to have to get up half an hour before bed, clean out the lake, walk backwards to school in a snow storm, get a thrashing for being late....
And that's if we were lucky.

luxury.

okas
12-13-2017, 07:59 PM
WOW hard to even find a senior hunt in the regs .

BgBlkDg
12-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Curley, you are going to find that there is a HUGE difference between the late 50s and being past 70, even without the major injuries I have coped with since age 13. So, be a bit more cautious as your time approaches.... :)

Steve W
12-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Residents against guides. Non Native vrs Natives. Bow hunters vrs firearm. Road hunters vrs hikers, hunters vrs biologist and now youth vrs seniors. Ain't the internet grand.

papaken
12-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Hey I was just happy with the $25 savings on my licence until I realized bear season opens April 1st and I don't turn 65 'til May. Guess I will have to pay full price for another year. That Sucks! LOL! I looked through the regs and there isn't much in the way of specials for seniors which I am ok with. For me I need to hunt with family and/or friends so a special season for me would not work. Now more access would be great as my 10k - 20k hiking days are long gone as well as packing game in big chunks. As for all that disposable income, I wish!

finngun
12-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Tags should be half price for old f,,,s too:-):-):shock:

webley
12-17-2017, 05:58 AM
I am 70 and I don't want any special treatment, but what I do find is I can find the deer back in the bush and have to pass them up because I cannot get them out anymore.I do have to watch where I shoot them, It has to be a down hill drag or where I can get my jeep close to, I still have the hart but not the body anymore. Steve!

Bugle M In
12-17-2017, 11:58 AM
I am 70 and I don't want any special treatment, but what I do find is I can find the deer back in the bush and have to pass them up because I cannot get them out anymore.I do have to watch where I shoot them, It has to be a down hill drag or where I can get my jeep close to, I still have the hart but not the body anymore. Steve!

I hear you....
But, finding game off the road and not being able to take it out is quite normal if you ask me.
The only way around that is to hunt with a partner or someone younger who can help.
I probably wouldn't go elk hunting any longer if I did not have a partner...and...
I have passed up on elk only because I knew I sure as heck was going to want to pack it out from the
junk it was in....that just happens.
But yes, getting older is not easy when it comes to hunting that's for sure!!!

Mik
12-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Deer season is 3-1/2 months long now we need a pensioners season? Not sure I would agree

Browning 3\d
12-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Just remember most of the old seniors didn`t have four wheelers too use . If they took four wheelers away most of the hunters too today would hang it up and there would be a lot more game around.

TexasWalker
12-17-2017, 01:59 PM
I wish they would get rid of all the youth and senior hunts completely.
Too many people take advantage of both seasons, dragging grandpa out of the home to go shoot a calf moose, I've seen it many times.
Why should youth get a special season?
People say it gets them hooked because of the high odds of success but in my eyes all it's doing is enforcing the instant gratification attitude of today's youth.
How about making them work for it like everybody else.
All seasons and bag limits should be the same regardless of age, allowing one age group to hunt calf moose is insane.

goatdancer
12-17-2017, 05:30 PM
I am over the hill - 70+. I have a quad. I have a few nice guns. I have more bad joints and ache that most of you young bucks have parts. I have never had an issue with dropping an animal way too far back for a smart hunter to consider OK. So screw the special seasons. I have the opportunity to hunt when all the younger working folks are contributing to my pensions plus they are at their jobs. If us old geezers can't get it done when there are less hunters - usually Monday to Friday - then its time to sell the guns and take up needle point.

12-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Can't agree more Goatdancer....... Well said.

BgBlkDg
12-17-2017, 05:48 PM
I am over the hill - 70+. I have a quad. I have a few nice guns. I have more bad joints and ache that most of you young bucks have parts. I have never had an issue with dropping an animal way too far back for a smart hunter to consider OK. So screw the special seasons. I have the opportunity to hunt when all the younger working folks are contributing to my pensions plus they are at their jobs. If us old geezers can't get it done when there are less hunters - usually Monday to Friday - then its time to sell the guns and take up needle point.

Bullsh*t, I paid for my pensions, the "educations" of these solipsistic kids, worked at jobs which are among the most dangerous in society and EARNED everything I now own. So, maybe YOU should take your own advice, toughguy and stick your "needlepoint" where the sun don't shine much!

goatdancer
12-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Bullsh*t, I paid for my pensions, the "educations" of these solipsistic kids, worked at jobs which are among the most dangerous in society and EARNED everything I now own. So, maybe YOU should take your own advice, toughguy and stick your "needlepoint" where the sun don't shine much!

Geez Dewey, you should mellow out.

mike31154
12-17-2017, 11:09 PM
I wish they would get rid of all the youth and senior hunts completely.
Too many people take advantage of both seasons, dragging grandpa out of the home to go shoot a calf moose, I've seen it many times.
Why should youth get a special season?
People say it gets them hooked because of the high odds of success but in my eyes all it's doing is enforcing the instant gratification attitude of today's youth.
How about making them work for it like everybody else.
All seasons and bag limits should be the same regardless of age, allowing one age group to hunt calf moose is insane.

Getting close to the senior thing myself these days & don't see the need for a special season personally. I started late, but hey, that's the way she goes. Not a resident of BC my entire life either, so thinking a special season for new residents??? That should raise an eyebrow or two...

As for youth season, I think it's great. Fairly short anyhow. Check out these posts.... bring a smile to my face. My own daughter is not interested in hunting, plus she hasn't qualified as a youth for some time..... Gives me a good feeling to see others have success in their family outings.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?139542-10-year-old-daughter-gets-her-first-buck&p=1936206#post1936206
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?140277-And-she-does-it-again&p=1943967#post1943967
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?141292-Daughter-s-First-Deer&p=1956672#post1956672

These kids got away from their mobile devices & out in the bush with Dad, that's awesome & I feel they earned what they harvested.

finngun
12-17-2017, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=mike

These kids got away from their mobile devices & out in the bush with Dad, that's awesome & I feel they earned what they harvested.[/QUOTE]
Whatta ya mean kids......ya should see seniors ...how many hours they spent with comp....:eek:

steel_ram
12-18-2017, 11:12 AM
Not interested in hunting old people. Who wants stringy old geritol fed meat?

JAGRMEISTER
12-18-2017, 11:18 AM
As a senior @ 71, I have no ACL either knee, still capable of putting up with heavy loads for 15-20km! how? I want to be out there and will be, stop your snivelling, hunting without pain is a myth! Oh, this year party to 2 rams 6 mulies, only 1 of which was a 2 pt.

BgBlkDg
12-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Helluva lot of game for one old hero to pack out 20K, boy, you da man!!!!!!!!

russm
12-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Maybe a seniors only grizzly hunt should be started up.

MichelD
12-18-2017, 12:21 PM
The hunting licence for over 65 is $7.00 but there is no discount for tags.

The man at the place where I bought my licence this year asked my birth date (I'm 64 this year) and said that in 2018 even though my birthdate is in June if I get it before for spring bear for example, then I'll get the licence for $7.00 because I'll be 65 that year.

I wish the PoCo range would do that too.

finngun
12-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Maybe a seniors only grizzly hunt should be started up.

Heck i'll go for that...one in the lifetime....:-):cool: just need somebody to drag pooh out..

Bugle M In
12-18-2017, 06:10 PM
There will always be some. a few, who will take advantage of every little chance they can get...
meaning, there will always be a few who will "drag out there youngster with I[ad in hand" just so the adult can get a
"hunt in" before others.....but I like to "protect the rights of the many" in this case, where many really do try to use the
benefit to get youngsters involved...yes, they have short attention spans...so a little , early on success might be needed so that they can acquire that patience, that is generally needed to be successful at hunting.

Same goes for that "disability permit"...there will always be a few who try an take advantage of that, even though they weren't the type that was "in mind" when that was established....but again, I like to protect the rights of the
many who do require some help due to disabilities.....sometimes we get too old for those operations....or worse...
sometimes there is no surgeries that can be performed at all (yes, hard to believe in this day and age, but true!).
Think arthritis is bad.....try serious neurological pain.....no meds for that!
Anyways, its not to argue who has this or who struggles more.
Seniors, in my opinion, should get a "price break", like we do with many other things....
Lets try to do a better job of "protecting each other" here folks.....
This is a hunting forum.....filled with hunters to form a community here.....
Always remember this...."it can always happen to me".....
you read this...walk out the door...and 5 seconds from...life became something you never imagined...or wanted,
but you don't always have control over.