PDA

View Full Version : Shot a deer with an infection and need to know if it's safe

JIL_24/7
12-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Hello All,
I was fortunate to shoot a whitetail yesterday. When I got to the downed animal it looked perfectly normal except for what appeared to be an old puncture wound in one hind quarter. I gutted him and drug him out with no evidence there was anything wrong. I hung him and began skinning him and when I got to where the wound was I found a large pocket of green gelatinous infection. There was also yellow puss. I removed it all and it was about the size of a softball. It didn't smell funny but it looked gross and that rear hind had less muscle mass than the other. Some of the puss ran down while I was skinning and I wiped my blade all off but didn't switch or clean it with soap before skinning the rest. It is at the butcher now but I am wondering if it really is safe to eat. Thoughts? Experience? Knowledge? I have 3 children so it is a big deal to me that I don't feed them something I shouldn't. Thanks

BearSupreme
12-01-2017, 11:49 AM
What you found was an absess which is a local infection. All you have to do is cut away the effected area and you're fine. Cheers

rocksteady
12-01-2017, 11:55 AM
It sounds like an infection from an abyss. Doubt its contagious or anything like that.. It would be different if it was some sort of cancerous tumour.

I would cut a wide berth around it, maybe even sacrifice the whole quarter if you are really hesitant and eat the rest

JIL_24/7
12-01-2017, 11:59 AM
I can send a photo of my deer (Not the infection) to someone if they will post it. Just for those who like pics. He's no wall hanger, but he's legal!

Whonnock Boy
12-01-2017, 12:02 PM
I think you'll be fine. However, I would have informed the butcher of the affected area so they could remove the surrounding tissue just for piece of mind.

JIL_24/7
12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
I think you'll be fine. However, I would have informed the butcher of the affected area so they could remove the surrounding tissue just for piece of mind.

Butcher is aware. He said he would use his better judgement. First time to him but my buddy likes him.

ForestWalker10
12-01-2017, 01:04 PM
i would hate to have an abscess the size of an abyss.

buckhunter76
12-01-2017, 02:26 PM
I have shot a deer with an abscess on the back quarter around the rump area, also my buddy shot a deer that had been shot top of the back bullet just missed the spine high,the wound had started to heal over lots of puss and smelt bad, both instances we just cut a wide berth around the area when we proscessed both, worst case you’ll lose abit of meat off it, congrats on the deer

BearSupreme
12-01-2017, 02:44 PM
As a meat cutter of 10 years and ex meat inpsector you commonly see green absesses in commercial lamb. You cut it out and it doesnt effect any other part of the meat. The only time you would have an issue is if the absess goes into the bone

rocksteady
12-01-2017, 03:34 PM
i would hate to have an abscess the size of an abyss.

Auto correct is an evil being

JIL_24/7
12-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Auto correct is an evil being

So is an abscess the size of an abyss!

Dannybuoy
12-01-2017, 04:54 PM
As a meat cutter of 10 years and ex meat inpsector you commonly see green absesses in commercial lamb. You cut it out and it doesnt effect any other part of the meat. The only time you would have an issue is if the absess goes into the bone
You must be an old phart , there havent been any bc meat inspectors since the late 70's .... 😁
Sounds like good advice though .

Walking Buffalo
12-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Some food for thought.

With large contained infections, there is also good likelihood that the rest of the animal is septic.
Those infections usually contain quite a mixture of staph and strep. Strong chance it has made its way into the bloodstream.

Can you get infected from contact with the bacteria found in the bloodstream? Absolutely!

What did the vascular system under the hide look like? Inflamed? Reddish skin?

Of course lots of this kind of meat makes it past commercial operations....
It's legal and profitable.

Will it kill you? Probably not. Is it any good? That's your call.
Taste is not the only consideration of quality food.

It really sucks to have to toss an animal after killing it..

walks with deer
12-01-2017, 09:06 PM
hmmm we want pictures...most post rut animal have different things...mostly bruising.

JIL_24/7
12-01-2017, 10:20 PM
hmmm we want pictures...most post rut animal have different things...mostly bruising.

Like I said. I didn't take a picture of the infection. I was hunting solo and it was a tough retrieve. I snapped a couple pics of the deer when I got him into the back of the truck, but when I got to skinning him I was running out of time and pretty gassed. I just didn't think to stop and take a pic. First solo deer for me. I would post the photo of the deer if I knew how. As for the hide and skin and such nothing looked abnormal and animal appeared normal in every other way

whitlers
12-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I shot a deer like this once aswell as a moose. We just cut a large section around the infection out and it was fine. I mean im still alive

BearSupreme
12-03-2017, 05:01 PM
You must be an old phart , there havent been any bc meat inspectors since the late 70's .... 
Sounds like good advice though .

BC Gov took over meat inspection for most plants in BC back in 2014, but you already knew that because you obviously checked it out before you commented. I wasnt even alive in the 70s

https://news.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/factsheet-new-meat-inspection-system

Dannybuoy
12-03-2017, 06:01 PM
BC Gov took over meat inspection for most plants in BC back in 2014, but you already knew that because you obviously checked it out before you commented. I wasnt even alive in the 70s

https://news.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/factsheet-new-meat-inspection-system
Actually I didnt know that , my Dad was a bc gov meat inspector from 1960 something until 1977 or 8 when all bc gov meat inspectors were terminated . Livestock slaughtered at small outfits was no longer inspected