PDA

View Full Version : Skull Cleaning - Pressure Cooker

skibum
11-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Anybody used a pressure cooker to clean a skull? Was thinking this would speed up the process a bit. The skull has been cleaned pretty good and has been sitting the freezer for a bit now. Brain still in it, but tongue, eyes etc. are out.

Anybody think this is a bad idea? Would it wreck the skull? Would do it a day the wife is out of the house for a while.

dougan
11-28-2017, 09:15 PM
I think you would find it will fall apart I simmer my skulls removing constantly to pick at it. I use a air wand to remove brain while fresh .pressure washer can help also

lip_ripper00
11-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Do not do it in the house!! ����

boxhitch
11-29-2017, 02:56 AM
you don't want to cook the bone, just simmer the meat enough so it can be cleaned off easier
If you can time the pressure cooker just right..........it might speed things up

Brains are easy to hook out through the hole provided using a bent wire, no need for power tools

BCBRAD
11-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Did one in the pressure cooker and it etched the bone badly, wouldn't recommend it.

tyreguy
11-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Pressure cooker will probably cook it too much and the skull will eventually fall apart. Too hot in the pressure, you just want to cook the meat then wash or pick it off.
I do my deer skulls boiling in a old turkey pan on the side burner of the BBQ then pressure wash with a wider spray tip. Practiced on many over the years experimenting and i've had experience with overcooking as well over pressure washing & blowing teeth out. Cook it for a bit then pressure wash, then do it again - and be ready when you wash the brain cavity out!!!!

skibum
11-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Cool - thanks for the advise guys

Brian011
11-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Take it to a car wash and use a pressure washer to get the brain parts out. Works great for cleaning the whole skull after it has been boiled

VFX_man
11-30-2017, 05:30 PM
http://www.skulltaxidermy.com/kits.html

Of course, not sure you can ship them here . . .

264mag
11-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Does anyone use soda ash in the boil?
If so where do you buy it?

ForestWalker10
12-01-2017, 12:52 AM
bury it in the backyard and let the maggots eat it lol

boxhitch
12-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Does anyone use soda ash in the boil?
If so where do you buy it?use it always, Sodium Bicarbonate, basic baking soda, Arm & Hammer type stuff

or if you know a rig pig that can get 50 lb bags on the cheap from the drilling mud chemicals

maxrocks_1
12-01-2017, 07:24 PM
This guy on YouTube has a half billion videos going over his whole process for getting beautifully cleaned skulls. You should watch them. He doesn't use a pressure cooker though. I pressure cook a lot and I'm damn certain it would just turn the skull to mush.

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOVbnB1KzFo

I am jealous as hell that you got something though. I'm all finally licensed up (took me bloodly long enough) and I haven't been able to find anyone to take me even on a quick hunt somewhere this season :-(

okas
12-02-2017, 11:41 AM
put it in your crab trap does a great job

Huevos
12-02-2017, 12:10 PM
I normally boil the skull for about 20 to 25 minutes, remove meat, (pressure washer works great, but not necessary), and then boil them again for another 20 minutes in a peroxide solution. Hydroponics shops are a good bet for some good peroxide. Make sure that if you pressure wash the skull to be careful not to blow through the thin bone, and also, remove the teeth after the initial boiling or you may lose them.

Walking Buffalo
12-02-2017, 04:10 PM
use it always, Sodium Bicarbonate, basic baking soda, Arm & Hammer type stuff

or if you know a rig pig that can get 50 lb bags on the cheap from the drilling mud chemicals

Not the same. Soda Ash is Sodium Carbonate, NA2CO3.
I speeds up softening the tissue and helps to allowing you to clean the skull before damaging the bones.

I use it to clean skulls, a cup to three gallons of water. I get it from the local taxidermy supply store.

antlerking
12-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Soda ash = Arm n Hammer So clean washing soda, ( Grocery store ) to whiten after meat is cleaned off sculls mix 35% peroxide ( hydroponic store ) with climbing chalk ( available @ mountain Co Op or similar stores) making a paste the consistency of mayonnaise and paint onto skull,allow to dry usually 12-24 Hours then clean off dried chalk with brush and water. Also make sure to wear gloves and safety glass when working with peroxide or you will get chemical burns!

boxhitch
12-03-2017, 02:39 AM
Not the same. Soda Ash is Sodium Carbonate, NA2CO3.
I speeds up softening the tissue and helps to allowing you to clean the skull before damaging the bones.

I use it to clean skulls, a cup to three gallons of water. I get it from the local taxidermy supply store.Yeh, I thought a bit about that after leaving the keyboard. Different stuff, the baking soda works just not as caustic

antlerking
12-03-2017, 11:13 AM
ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda is 100% sodium carbonate and it is used as a laundry booster and general household cleaner. ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate and has a myriad of household cleaning, personal care, and deodorizing uses, as well as being a leavening agent.

antlerking
12-03-2017, 11:17 AM
No need to order anything all is available within short drive of home !