PDA

View Full Version : Pant Recommendations please (sept/October wet day pant for elk hunting)

dapesche
11-28-2017, 09:43 AM
So I've been checking out all the big name hunting gear sites as well as some non hunting company sites.

Lots of options out there but I really need lean on you folks for some first hand experiences.

I hunt the timber of the west kootenays.

what I want is a pant that I can wear after/during a rainfall that won't soak through as I walk through the underbrush.

I expect to be wet by the end of the day but I have prana Zions that soak through within minutes of waking through wet underbrush.

I'd like some stretch to the pants for sure.

What has worked for you all while elk hunting in wet conditions?

Any experience with softshell pants that people use for ski touring?

Cheers

Sharpish
11-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Sitka timberlines work well. Or a "breathable" hard shell with a brushed face for stealth. But in that case I find you just get wet from the inside.

I'm back to good old wool.

huntcoop
11-28-2017, 10:33 AM
I love my Timberlines, the comfort and fit is amazing.

twoSevenO
11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Sitka timberlines work well. Or a "breathable" hard shell with a brushed face for stealth. But in that case I find you just get wet from the inside.

I'm back to good old wool.

x2 .... Gore-tex is breathable .... but not that breathable. If you're hiking you'll just sweat from the inside. It cannot possibly pass the moisture through fast enough.

These fabrics should really be labeled as "waterproof & barely-breathable" instead of "waterproof & breathable"

twoSevenO
11-28-2017, 11:40 AM
So I've been checking out all the big name hunting gear sites as well as some non hunting company sites.

Lots of options out there but I really need lean on you folks for some first hand experiences.

I hunt the timber of the west kootenays.

what I want is a pant that I can wear after/during a rainfall that won't soak through as I walk through the underbrush.

I expect to be wet by the end of the day but I have prana Zions that soak through within minutes of waking through wet underbrush.

I'd like some stretch to the pants for sure.

What has worked for you all while elk hunting in wet conditions?

Any experience with softshell pants that people use for ski touring?

Cheers

softshell pants have a tighter weave and DWR coating which helps them maintain water resistance. As the DWR wears off, they're going to become almost like any other pants. They will soak through when brush is coming in contact with them as you hike through. you have to keep washing them and re-applying the DWR coating and its kind of annoying.

I would think a pair of hardshell (waterproof) pants would be best for you. If you get a good pair (pricey, unfortunately) they will most likely have side zips which you can leave open from your hip down to mid-thigh. It should help vent heat and keep inside condensation to a minimum while keeping most of the water off the brush out.

But, almost none of the hardshell pants are stretch. If they are, they're probably even MORE money.

What's your budget?

dapesche
11-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Looking to spend 150ish. Prefer to find a lightly used pair some I might be able to reach up in quality.

I have heard the timber lines mentioned before. Thanks for that feedback. Is it a thicker fabric that helps repel water or is it thinner fabric that relies heavily on dwr coating?

I have been wearing wool pants through the late fall and they work great. I just know they aren't feasible earlier in the season. Checked out first lite b/c they like wool in their products but it didn't seem like they had a good option... And some of their pants seem to have suspect quality/quick wear.

Squamch
11-28-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm on the island, so 90% of my hunting is done during or shortly after rain. The only way I've found to stay dry, with some stretch, is the Dakota brand rain paints. They're a bit stretchy, and I wear gators under them. They're reasonably light too, and pack up pretty small.
I tried for several years to find a waterproof "hunting" or even just "outdoor" brand product that was waterproof and breathable. I didn't try the $400 jacket offerings, because that's just too damn rich for my blood. I'd love to, but $90 rain pants work better than any of the stuff I tried.

Ovis17
11-28-2017, 08:49 PM
I love my Timberlines, the comfort and fit is amazing.Absolutely loving my new timberlines from Sitka. Perfect fit, stretch, pockets and goretex seat and knees. Wasn't sure if I'd like the knee pads but love them too. Worth every penny.

Pinewood
11-28-2017, 10:20 PM
The Kuiu Attack pant is a damn good pant. Keeps me fairly dry, but when the weather breaks, they dry in minutes.

dapesche
11-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Absolutely loving my new timberlines from Sitka. Perfect fit, stretch, pockets and goretex seat and knees. Wasn't sure if I'd like the knee pads but love them too. Worth every penny.

How were they in the wet? I really like my pranas b/c of the stretch and quick drying,but when it's 5-10degrees out and then get wet I am out ecstatic... Haha.

Timberlines do a good job of not saturating right away and then drying when they do get wet?

dapesche
11-28-2017, 10:27 PM
The Kuiu Attack pant is a damn good pant. Keeps me fairly dry, but when the weather breaks, they dry in minutes.

Kuiu attacks looked great and so did the skre handscrabble pants with the skre's being a little thicker.

dapesche
11-28-2017, 10:29 PM
I'm on the island, so 90% of my hunting is done during or shortly after rain. The only way I've found to stay dry, with some stretch, is the Dakota brand rain paints. They're a bit stretchy, and I wear gators under them. They're reasonably light too, and pack up pretty small.
I tried for several years to find a waterproof "hunting" or even just "outdoor" brand product that was waterproof and breathable. I didn't try the $400 jacket offerings, because that's just too damn rich for my blood. I'd love to, but $90 rain pants work better than any of the stuff I tried.

I'll head down to marks one day and have a peak at the Dakota pants. I see a women's dakota stretch rain pant online but couldnt spot a men's version. Hoping to store stocks them.

SR80
11-29-2017, 08:04 AM
timberlines are great pants, but they soak up the water just like any soft faced pant, and take quite a bit of time to dry out. I would look for a pair of used kuiu chugach NX pants if i were you. Those are rain pants, they breath well and have some stretch.

Squamch
11-29-2017, 08:10 AM
I'll head down to marks one day and have a peak at the Dakota pants. I see a women's dakota stretch rain pant online but couldnt spot a men's version. Hoping to store stocks them.

https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-stretch-bib-rain-pant-80527.html?cid=DRMKT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrs7R84fk1wIVFcJkCh2CjgTUEAQYASAB EgLLrfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLGTrPaH5NcCFcPzZAodingCkw#80527%5Bcolor%5D= OLIVE&80527%5Bsize%5D=M&80527%5Blength%5D=REG&fo_c=1301&fo_k=6a56e6a180816e92df8b669ec639e673&fo_s=gplaca&cid=KWGoogle_%5B*Campaign*%5D_%5B*Adgroup*%5D

There's also a "normal" pant, but I prefer the bibs. A few weeks ago I was wearing a badlands eco jacket, and a first lite chama, badlands ion pants and these rain pants, with a 60lb pack and was comfortable, didn't end up soaked in sweat.

Ovis17
11-29-2017, 09:39 AM
How were they in the wet? I really like my pranas b/c of the stretch and quick drying,but when it's 5-10degrees out and then get wet I am out ecstatic... Haha.

Timberlines do a good job of not saturating right away and then drying when they do get wet?Only had them on for a few hunts and haven't been in really wet conditions except once. (Rain gear used).

dapesche
12-02-2017, 06:53 AM
x2 .... Gore-tex is breathable .... but not that breathable. If you're hiking you'll just sweat from the inside. It cannot possibly pass the moisture through fast enough.

These fabrics should really be labeled as "waterproof & barely-breathable" instead of "waterproof & breathable"

I hear you with the wool. I have been waring a pair of oversized wool pants I found at the salvation arm. Have worn them mid October through to last weekend. Work very well and totally happy with them in rain and snow.

I just have that gap in clothing earlier in the year when my prana Zions are soaking through....

dapesche
12-02-2017, 07:00 AM
timberlines are great pants, but they soak up the water just like any soft faced pant, and take quite a bit of time to dry out. I would look for a pair of used kuiu chugach NX pants if i were you. Those are rain pants, they breath well and have some stretch.

Is this a true pant that I can wear through the day or is it built more as a rain pant shell that is intended to be worn over another pair of pants?

I've looked at them on kuiu site, just curious to have your opinion as I'd prefer it to be a pant that I wear all day.

dapesche
12-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Only had them on for a few hunts and haven't been in really wet conditions except once. (Rain gear used).

Thanks for reply. I'm looking for that heavily water resistant pant that I expect to be wet in by the end if the day if I've been walking in the rain or in wet underbrush all day. OK to be wet within hours, just not minutes.

bigbuzz
12-02-2017, 08:40 AM
I live on the coast so wet hunting conditions are the norm. I purchased a pair of Harkila pants(google it) about 10 years ago, goretex lined that I find very comfortable and quiet to walk in. Temperatures of -5 to +10C are good and will keep me dry for 3 or 4 hours. They are pricey but you know the story, you get what you pay for.

SR80
12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Is this a true pant that I can wear through the day or is it built more as a rain pant shell that is intended to be worn over another pair of pants?

I've looked at them on kuiu site, just curious to have your opinion as I'd prefer it to be a pant that I wear all day.

they're a rain shell, but breathe pretty well. Only real thing it do is either wear a rain shell or just get a light pair of pants that will dry fairly fast as you're hiking.

Ohwildwon
12-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Here are some reasonably priced pants, from Taiga Works, and there made BC...

https://us10.campaign-archive.com/?u=83567d1bbc0dd49de283cc01d&id=83eac5d94e

todbartell
12-02-2017, 07:31 PM
nasty weather and I'm hunting in my Sitka Stormfront pants