PDA

View Full Version : Planning our First Mountain Goat Hunt!!

Astepanuk
11-28-2017, 07:07 AM
Hey Guys

We are in the middle of planning our Goat hunt for Sept 2018 we have a few lakes picked out South of Tatogga Lake area. We were thinking of flying into Tumeka lake but after talking to a float plane company he told us there is a lodge on the lake. Do you guys think its still worth flying into the lake and hunting maybe opposite side of the lodge. Not being from BC I'm guessing most the lakes are going to probably have an outfitter within some sort of proximity. Thanks any thoughts on this area and yes we will be getting hosted from a couple friends from BC.

604redneck
11-28-2017, 07:59 AM
I can tell you a few lakes via pm that should be a gimme. As for the lake you are asking about i dont know.

Astepanuk
11-28-2017, 05:28 PM
I can tell you a few lakes via pm that should be a gimme. As for the lake you are asking about i dont know.

Thank bud sure appreciate it!!!

Astepanuk
12-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Hey Guys Question

what do you say a quartered Goat with Back straps and trimming weigh? I'm thinking two guys should be able to pack a single Goat off a mountain to a base camp with relatively empty packs.

campking
12-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Of course that all depends on the strength of you and your buddies but yes can done I always de-bone mine makes for a much lighter pack.
Hey Guys Question

what do you say a quartered Goat with Back straps and trimming weigh? I'm thinking two guys should be able to pack a single Goat off a mountain to a base camp with relatively empty packs.

swampthing
12-07-2017, 07:44 AM
De bone them for sure. Goats don't have much meat on them. Your meat bag will weigh similar to the hide and skull bag!

Astepanuk
12-07-2017, 03:07 PM
De bone them for sure. Goats don't have much meat on them. Your meat bag will weigh similar to the hide and skull bag!

Thanks good to know now just to wait t see what zone we are selected to hunt in were hoping for 6-20 but well see what we end up getting selected for.

ajeatoo
12-07-2017, 05:29 PM

Exactly that ^^^ we got about 60lbs if meat back from the butcher on our nanny goat.

twoSevenO
12-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Exactly that ^^^ we got about 60lbs if meat back from the butcher on our nanny goat.

you got 60lb BACK?

How much did you take in? Did you take the whole goat in?

ajeatoo
12-07-2017, 06:00 PM
you got 60lb BACK?

How much did you take in? Did you take the whole goat in?

LOL didn’t get the weight going in it was deboned in the field, taken to the butcher like that, hide went to Taxidermist, head is still in the freezer skinned.

warnniklz
12-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Those hides can hold a lot of water = weight

Astepanuk
12-09-2017, 09:19 AM
do you guys typically take the entire hide or just half if your gonna do like a half mount. Thinking I would want to take the back end as well and maybe get tanned thoughts.

Kopper
12-09-2017, 09:49 AM
do you guys typically take the entire hide or just half if your gonna do like a half mount. Thinking I would want to take the back end as well and maybe get tanned thoughts.

We usually take to just behind the front legs for a shoulder/head mount. Have left capes if only doing euros and we've taken everything for a life size; depends what your taxi plans are. My dad has got the back ends tanned before off some goats. Drape them over couch backs or railings; they look pretty sharp.
https://i.imgur.com/15PnYhe.jpg

Astepanuk
12-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Thanks I think I would like to take the back cape since this most likely will be only goat if your successful.

Norwestalta
12-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Following this and trying to get a trip planned with my nephew.

What is is the best time of year for goat hunting?

ditch donkey
12-10-2017, 09:09 PM
my hunting partner and I packed a goat off the mountain. buddy had head and entire cape and I packed all the meat deboned. We didnt exactly weigh our pack on the mountain but both weighed similar weights approx 60/70 lbs if I were to guess. Id say the volume of meat would be similar to a 2 point mulie.

ryanb
12-10-2017, 11:00 PM
A big goat should yield about 80lbs of meat. Figure another 20 for head and hide, 40 if you take full hide for a life size. Easy for 2 people unless your sissies, a chore for 1.

Astepanuk
12-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Sounds Pretty do able now once were actually confirmed with our Permit to Accompany paper work it will be even more exciting. Have talked to the float plane guys out of tatogga seem like good dudes just gonna be one heck of a drive from Northern Alberta but cant wait to do it. Do you guys think its possible to camp right at the lake then hike up a drainage each day or do you recommend heading up higher and spiking out for the 8 days.

Thanks

Astepanuk
12-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Hey Guys

What can we expect for temperatures mid September around 6-21 we all have gear for sleeping comfortably up to -15.

Thanks

Astepanuk
07-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Well still in the works of planning our first trip we finally received the news we have been waiting for, we now have our accompany to hunt permit. Cannot wait to go we will be driving to Tataggo Lake then flying into our Zone with Alpine Air. Come on Sept 14th!!!!

butcher
07-09-2018, 12:19 PM
If you get stuck you could boat across tatogga and kill your goat. You’d save some money on the flight.

IronNoggin
07-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Well still in the works of planning our first trip we finally received the news we have been waiting for, we now have our accompany to hunt permit.

Good Stuff!
Still has me wondering just what the hell took so long for that Permit, but hey, at least you got it!!

Best of Luck!
Looking forward to the tale & pix!!

Cheers,
Nog

Astepanuk
07-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Thanks bud looking forward to it still not locked down on our plan we are approved to hunt goat and caribou in
6-17,6-19 and 6-20.

albravo2
07-09-2018, 07:21 PM
If you haven't flown in before you are going to have an amazing experience. Drink it up.

Weather can be pretty variable. Imagine if Northern Alberta was mountainous. Rain is very likely, so is sun, snow is possible. Tough part about flying in is the weight restrictions. Different pilots might give you a bit of wiggle room but usually their published maximums are pretty firm.

Astepanuk
07-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Yah alpine is limiting us to 750lbs per trip so we will be taking 2 trips in since there are 3 of us. And the distance we have to fly but if we pick a closer lake to tatogga we could bring more weight we were thinking about Nuttlude west of tatogga.

SaintSix
07-09-2018, 08:56 PM
i was up in 6-20 last year that same time frame I flew in 14th sept, hiked up the mountain and spiked at high elevation. just make sure you have a water source near by. as for temp it got cold enough that the water inside my tent would be half frozen, didn't have a thermometer but atleast -5 or more. no cell service for the last few hours approaching tatogga. they have rooms there you can rent for the night and also has a restaurant.

Steelpulse
07-09-2018, 11:01 PM
I did a hike in trip solo in southern bc last season shot a goat and packed out in one go. Deboned meat, full hide and head attached. That was a serious pack over 100# but I did it 4 km back to car from tip top of the mountain. So 3 guys will be a breeze.

Id say weather you will get will probably be pretty reasonable temps and fair weather. But ofcourse could be anything you might get a blizzard or ton of rain who knows so be prepared for anything.

Good luck. Send us some pics

bangbangkhan
07-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Excited to hear about your trip...planning one for my self around early October. Good luck!

Jrax
07-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Sounds Pretty do able now once were actually confirmed with our Permit to Accompany paper work it will be even more exciting. Have talked to the float plane guys out of tatogga seem like good dudes just gonna be one heck of a drive from Northern Alberta but cant wait to do it. Do you guys think its possible to camp right at the lake then hike up a drainage each day or do you recommend heading up higher and spiking out for the 8 days.

Thanks

See if anything off the lake worth a stalk then head high and spike out. Even hiking 4km in or 2km on steep ground and spiking is going to save you a lot time and energy after even 2 days. Lots more time for glassing this way and allows you to access a further basin where you could then bring your goat back to spike camp then base camp the next day.

Astepanuk
07-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Loaded 20 rounds last night what do you guys recommend for bring on a trip keep in mind we will be flying into the lake was think 20 at camp with maybe 9-12 on me for day hike.

Astepanuk
08-31-2018, 02:10 PM
Well guys we are 13 days away from Hunt time just wanted to Thank everyone on this Forum you all have been very helpful in making this possible all the tips and tricks appreciate everyone helping out a New Goat Hunter cannot wait to share my story with you all.

Krico
08-31-2018, 06:35 PM
Loaded 20 rounds last night what do you guys recommend for bring on a trip keep in mind we will be flying into the lake was think 20 at camp with maybe 9-12 on me for day hike.
That should be lots. Goats can eat a lot of lead and you never know when you might knock your rifle and need to double check zero, especially in the mountains.
The nice thing about flying in is you can bring all kinds of extras and just leave at the lake. Food, clothings, boots, bullets, camp gear, whatever.

Astepanuk
09-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Hey guys

With Snow in the forecast before we go on our hunt do you find that Goats change there patterns at all or just stay up high until the heavy snow forces them down.

Thanks

PeakSeaker
09-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Of course different species vary slightly, but I was always told about 30% of an animals weight is the meat yield. A large goat is 300lbs which would mean 90lbs deboned. I think goats are to the lower end of this “approximation” so 90lbs is a lot. You’ll probably be closer to the 70lbs range. Then factor in whether you want to keep skull/cape.

have fun!

Astepanuk
09-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Well guys just got out from my first goat hunt. Most emotional hunt over ever been on I’m gonna write up a full story for you guys this week. Happy to Say I did harvest a goat but there’s a lot more to the story stay tuned hope I can figure out how to post pics.

Jrax
09-21-2018, 09:28 PM
congrats! cant wait

Bunner
09-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Way to go! Looking forward to hear all about it

evan83
09-22-2018, 06:28 AM
Congrats man! Just started following this thread the other day cause we might try this next year. Can't wait to hear how it went.