PDA

View Full Version : Trailer build is almost complete

markomoose
11-26-2017, 08:22 PM
I call it the ChuckWagon because it has the best of both worlds.Its an old travel trailer.Seven and a half feet wide and fourteen feet long.I put 40 inch sides on it with a full back door and a smaller man door up front on the passenger side.Its tandem with twin 3500lb axles with brakes.I used 3/4 inch EMT tubing for the roof plus along with multiple extras.It still needs stairs on the ramp.I closed in the ends with plywood and 3/8 thick plexy carbonate.She will be covered with wall tent canvas complete with a wood stove an enough room for 3 cots plus chairs.I won't travel with this up but made it simple for quick setup time.Gonna try a quick setup at home if the weather holds.Its basically half trailer/half wall tent.Super excited to try it out.Having trouble posting pics again if someone could please help me out.Can text pics ?PM ME

Downwindtracker2
11-26-2017, 08:56 PM
I used 3/4" EMT for a cover on a utility trailer over my quad. The first bow bent in the wind when on the highway. I then used 1/2" pipe?? for that one. The rest sound pretty great.

markomoose
11-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Had help posting pics. Opinions? https://imgur.com/a/rr4c2.I'm super happy how it turned out and like I said the entire roof system is collapsible and two guys can dismantle in about 20 minutes.You can stand up anywhere in this rig so its 100% usable space. Cheers Mark

albravo2
11-27-2017, 06:29 PM
That looks awesome Marko! I think that is a great combo. Very useful in so many ways. Nice work.

Salty
11-27-2017, 06:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5Nsdxxg.jpg

Looks like a good dry cozy space. At first I was trying to figure out how you'd get stuff in and out the tail gate but re read and see that you set up the frames on site. Great idea actually your truck will cut the wind for the lower part for the most part and you won't be wasting gas on wind resistance. Like the good slope to the roof too, let it rain, don't matter.

Wentrot
11-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Very cool!

nature girl
11-27-2017, 07:24 PM
That is a real neat idea.

tigrr
11-27-2017, 07:27 PM
How's the ATV get on and off?

ACE
11-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Very nice ....
Will you have a 'boot' on the reach for a deep-cycle battery setup ?

finaddict
11-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Looks like a great idea. She will need leveling posts on all for corners to keep her stable and level once at the site. I am assuming you will have a s.s. corner floor and side panels for a wood stove?

markomoose
11-27-2017, 08:13 PM
The tailgate opens up completely.You can open it with the roof on as well as the tubing sits in pockets.

markomoose
11-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Looks like a great idea. She will need leveling posts on all for corners to keep her stable and level once at the site. I am assuming you will have a s.s. corner floor and side panels for a wood stove?Yes she will need leveling posts.I use a large piece of mill felt under the stove.Also install a fire extinguisher

markomoose
11-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Very nice ....
Will you have a 'boot' on the reach for a deep-cycle battery setup ?Thats a good idea Ace.Never thought about it.

swampthing
11-28-2017, 07:11 PM
A handy little "camp" you built there!

tigrr
11-28-2017, 09:08 PM
So you have thought of everything. Spend a few nights in it and let us know how it was..
I'm to old for the cold need insulation to keep me thawed out. My cot would be above the wood stove.

BDL
11-29-2017, 07:37 AM
The only thing I might be worried about is how you joined your pipe, you don't want anything that will rub holes in your canvas.

REMINGTON JIM
11-29-2017, 09:17 AM
The only thing I might be worried about is how you joined your pipe, you don't want anything that will rub holes in your canvas.

Yea i see that too GONNA need to WRAP those joints to keep that from happening ! RJ

markomoose
11-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Yes I was looking at that as I thought lynch pins might work but now considering a round head carriage bolt will address the tearing canvas issue.Thanks for the input.

HappyJack
11-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Pretty neat idea, why did you hinge the side door on the bottom??

The Hermit
11-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Be sure to reinforce the canvas with a tough vinyl at the joints! Who is going to sew your "tent"? and how are you going to attach the canvas to the sides? We have used heavy duty ss snaps with success for similar application. Also I'd be sure to have the canvas come down at least a couple feet on the sides, use a double zipper door, and put a couple windows in the canvas too! Nice rig!!

markomoose
11-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Be sure to reinforce the canvas with a tough vinyl at the joints! Who is going to sew your "tent"? and how are you going to attach the canvas to the sides? We have used heavy duty ss snaps with success for similar application. Also I'd be sure to have the canvas come down at least a couple feet on the sides, u onse a double zipper door, and put a couple windows in the canvas too! Nice rig!!I got a super heavy duty tarp from an old friend that will come down a couple feet each side but I haven't quite figured out the door yet?I have tie down rings every 10 inches around the bottom of the trailer so I have lots of tie off points.
As far as windows go they are already installed at both ends of the rig as I figured natural light is best .I've got about 4 feet of poly carbonate on each end.My final goal is to have a professional fit and install a proper canvas wall tent complete with a zippered door.I will give it a go with just the canvas too see how she works.Thanks for the ideas Hermit

ACE
11-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Just a thought here ....
Could you use a cheap door & casing to fit into the side entrance ?
Screw nail it in, canvas snaps to the upper casing, and the drop ramp in place for ease of entrance/exit.
Quick removal for travel purposes. Easy storage .... doesn't take up too much room.
Possibly a window, house number, mail box, and welcome mat ..... :smile:

You have a great mobile camp .... well done!

markomoose
11-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Just a thought here ....
Could you use a cheap door & casing to fit into the side entrance ?
Screw nail it in, canvas snaps to the upper casing, and the drop ramp in place for ease of entrance/exit.
Quick removal for travel purposes. Easy storage .... doesn't take up too much room.
Possibly a window, house number, mail box, and welcome mat ..... :smile:

You have a great mobile camp .... well done!Thanks !Not bad for a Canucks fan eh?

okas
11-29-2017, 09:45 PM
old bumber jack at the weaker are great to level up with

The Hermit
11-30-2017, 09:19 PM
I got a super heavy duty tarp from an old friend that will come down a couple feet each side but I haven't quite figured out the door yet?I have tie down rings every 10 inches around the bottom of the trailer so I have lots of tie off points.
As far as windows go they are already installed at both ends of the rig as I figured natural light is best .I've got about 4 feet of poly carbonate on each end.My final goal is to have a professional fit and install a proper canvas wall tent complete with a zippered door.I will give it a go with just the canvas too see how she works.Thanks for the ideas Hermit

For the door(s)... if you use two parallel zippers you can have the door as wide as you like. You just roll the canvas up between the open zippers, open the ramp door and Bob's your uncle. Check out the double doors on our tents.

markomoose
12-01-2017, 05:39 PM
For the door(s)... if you use two parallel zippers you can have the door as wide as you like. You just roll the canvas up between the open zippers, open the ramp door and Bob's your uncle. Check out the double doors on our tents.Good call Hermit.I like that idea.Bad news is hunting season is almost done now.The off season is a good time to get stuff done though.