PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking out deer.

lowband6
11-26-2017, 04:22 PM
I was wondering how other hunters that have to backpack their deer out manage to keep the tail attached?

604ksmith
11-26-2017, 04:35 PM
I bring a small plastic bag that I use to cover the tail, electrical tape around to seal the bag, and put in the game bag as normal. Minimizes hair with little hassle.

Ubertuber
11-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Yup, bag and tape, then load like normal.

Fella
11-26-2017, 04:43 PM
As far as keeping it attached, just don’t cut it off is all I can really say

lowband6
11-26-2017, 05:09 PM
I understand putting a bag on it if you bring out the whole deer, but I don't bring out the carcass. I usually have to bone it out entirely. Sometimes I can remove the legs and bone out the carcass.

Salty
11-26-2017, 05:38 PM
In that case leave the tail in the bush and just leave a chunk of fur attached instead.

604ksmith
11-26-2017, 05:43 PM
In that case leave the tail in the bush and just leave a chunk of fur attached instead.

Hey Salty,

Isn't the chunk of fur only allowable for moose and elk, with deer needing the tail specifically?
Page 20:
(1) For elk and moose:
(a) If the animal is male, either
(i)that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
(b) If the animal is female, either
(i) that portion of the head which inmales normally bears antlers, OR
(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
(2) For deer:
(a)If the animal is male
(i) that portion of the head whichbears the antlers, OR
(ii) the unskinned tail and either atesticle or part of the penis.
(b) If the animal is female
(i) that portion of the head which
in males normally bears antlers,OR a portion of the udder andteats, AND
(ii) the unskinned tail.

Fella
11-26-2017, 05:44 PM
For deer you must leave the unskinned tail and testicle/penis on or the portion of the head that bears the antlers

Ryo
11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
The sticky bubbly layer of tissue beneath the skin is enough to hold the tail to a skinned hindquarter, but don’t be rough putting it in a game bag, it’s not holding on by much.

wos
11-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Keep the antlers and leave the tail in the bush.

Salty
11-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Hey Salty,

Isn't the chunk of fur only allowable for moose and elk, with deer needing the tail specifically?
Page 20:
(1) For elk and moose:
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats,AND the animal’s tail or anotherreadily identifiable part of the hidenot less than 6 cm2.
(2) For deer:
(a)If the animal is male
(ii) the unskinned tail.

Well Ill be be guess Ive done it wrong a time or two back packing out, I was sure a patch of fur and proof of sex was gtg for deer too

BTF
11-26-2017, 06:49 PM
No need for fur attached for deer if you have a buck and bring out the antlers. Easy enough to leave a patch of fur on and a skinned out testicle though, the CO`s are happy to see all that evidence. interesting how they changed the requirement, its basically stating you don`t need to retain the antlers on a male, just the unskinned tail and testicle or penis.

lowband6
11-26-2017, 07:04 PM
I got fined this morning because I didn't know the rules changed back in 2016. I had the whole carcass this time with lots of hair left on the legs but no tail. The head was cut off but matches the neck perfectly.

Salty
11-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Well as said I didn/t know either lowband6 thanks for bringing this up for all our benefits. I guess in the future a guys going to have to skin around the base of the tail leaving a strip of fur from the tail thats stuck to a quarter or something, then cut the tail. Sounds kind of petty to me I fail to see what a tail ids that the fur doesn't.

lowband6
11-26-2017, 07:09 PM
No problem getting it right next time now I know the rule change. But it just got me thinking about packing out just a bunch of bags of meat and the head like I used to.

lowband6
11-26-2017, 07:23 PM
The sticky bubbly layer of tissue beneath the skin is enough to hold the tail to a skinned hindquarter, but don’t be rough putting it in a game bag, it’s not holding on by much.

Thanks. I'm done for this year but I'll give it a try next year.
If I leave one quarter in tack and bone out the other 3 that might make the CO happy.

whitlers
11-26-2017, 08:05 PM
No need for fur attached for deer if you have a buck and bring out the antlers. Easy enough to leave a patch of fur on and a skinned out testicle though, the CO`s are happy to see all that evidence. interesting how they changed the requirement, its basically stating you don`t need to retain the antlers on a male, just the unskinned tail and testicle or penis.

As long as the antlers are still attached to the carcass..

If your boning out meat for a pack out you best leave evidence of sex and the unskinned tail on one rear quarter. The antlers not attatched to the carcass is not considered evidence of sex or species.

ajr5406
11-26-2017, 08:08 PM
I got fined this morning because I didn't know the rules changed back in 2016. I had the whole carcass this time with lots of hair left on the legs but no tail. The head was cut off but matches the neck perfectly.

That sucks man. How much was the fine? Thanks for sharing though, hopefully your misfortune helps others avoid such a fate.

quadrakid
11-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Please correct me if i am wrong but i read that rule as i am legal to leave tail of buck in bush as long as i have rack attached to head. It does not say naturally attached to carcass.head can be cut off.

604ksmith
11-26-2017, 08:15 PM
I've had CO tell me the following:

If bringing out whole leave: antlers on and you're fine

If quartering/boning out leave: unskinned tail + (penis or testicle)

albravo2
11-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Honestly, I don't think I've ever done it 100% right but I'd sooner break one of those laws than shoot the wrong type or sex of deer.

I think it really depends on the CO you meet. I've never had a problem. Maybe because I'm a middle aged white guy with grey hair and a nice truck they think I'm not their highest likelihood poacher.

whitlers
11-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Please correct me if i am wrong but i read that rule as i am legal to leave tail of buck in bush as long as i have rack attached to head. It does not say naturally attached to carcass.head can be cut off.

WRONG

It does to say 'naturally attatched to the carcass'....

How do some of you hunt but dont bother to read the regs...

It has been coverd on here before.

Antlers are only evidence of species and sex when and only when they are naturally attatched to the carcass. That is to be said that the head must be attatched to part of the carcass NOT the head removed or skull cap etc.

HarryToolips
11-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Hey Salty,

Page 20:
(1) For elk and moose:
(2) For deer:
(a)If the animal is male
(ii) the unskinned tail.
That's why if it's a buck, I only pack out the head with antlers for identification, I go by the 'OR'..

HarryToolips
11-26-2017, 09:23 PM
WRONG

Antlers are only evidence of species and sex when and only when they are naturally attatched to the carcass. That is to be said that the head must be attatched to part of the carcass NOT the head removed or skull cap etc.
I read the regs and review them often, maybe my comprehension is off somewhere, please show me where it says that the head must be naturally to the carcass? As long as it's with the quarters and meat that your packing out this should be legal no??

dereke
11-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Sounds like you ran into an asshole... good info though thanks for sharing.

whitlers
11-26-2017, 10:05 PM
I read the regs and review them often, maybe my comprehension is off somewhere, please show me where it says that the head must be naturally to the carcass? As long as it's with the quarters and meat that your packing out this should be legal no??

No it is not.

Pg. 20

Posession and Transportation:

Big Game

Anyone who posesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attatched to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the persons posession the following listed parts:

(You missed that paragraph)

Keta1969
11-26-2017, 10:10 PM
WRONG

This is the correct answer. Once you separate the head or antlers from the carcass you must have another form of proof of sex and species ie. testicle or penis for sex(for a buck),teats etc.(for a doe) and the tail for species. Throwing the head or antlers in with unidentifiable body parts won't cut it. This topic comes up every year.

HarryToolips
11-26-2017, 10:48 PM
No it is not.

Pg. 20

Posession and Transportation:

Big Game

Anyone who posesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attatched to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the persons posession the following listed parts:

(You missed that paragraph)
Again, I must be having a hard time with reading comprehension or something, please educate me as to where on the page it says that for a buck for example, I have to bring the tail and a part of the penis or a testicle along with the head with the accompaning antlers..the WT buck I harvested yesterday for example, I have the head and antlers, which any officer can clearly tell it's a whitetail, along with the meat..from what I read, I have the head and antlers and that's all that's needed, OR the tail and testicle or part of the penis..under the possession and transportation header there is nothing else that shows any other requirement..

twoSevenO
11-26-2017, 10:59 PM
Again, I must be having a hard time with reading comprehension or something, please educate me as to where on the page it says that for a buck for example, I have to bring the tail and a part of the penis or a testicle along with the head with the accompaning antlers..the WT buck I harvested yesterday for example, I have the head and antlers, which any officer can clearly tell it's a whitetail, along with the meat..from what I read, I have the head and antlers and that's all that's needed, OR the tail and testicle or part of the penis..under the possession and transportation header there is nothing else that shows any other requirement..

Don't worry about it. You're right.

It very obviously states if it is male you need the [head] OR [tail + penis/testicle].

Treed
11-26-2017, 11:25 PM
It would be great if regulations kept up with science. If a CO catches you hauling out 120 lbs of deer from the boonies and thinks it may be from multiple animals, he can test it. I get it that it makes it easier, but I really don't get the tail on change. I always left hide on the end of legs and bagged it; a testicle or 4 as required. And then the the rack riding on my back. Christ, I get enough crap from my kids for leaving the hide in the bush already. They were just laying into me again tonight we
want moccassins) as I was explaining the 3 hour hike in... and I'm even older on the hike out carrying some unnecessary tail (ok. maybe not the last bit).

sthdslayer
11-27-2017, 07:57 AM
I believe the change was made because a lot of mulie does were being shot during whitetail anterless and the CO's couldn't differentiate in the field so they made the requirement for the tail attached to be able to determine species in the field

whitlers
11-27-2017, 08:47 AM

Read all of page 20. Under Possesion and Transportation..

Its right there..

whitlers
11-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Don't worry about it. You're right.

It very obviously states if it is male you need the [head] OR [tail + penis/testicle].

Head only if naturally left attatched to the carcass...

lowband6
11-27-2017, 09:00 AM
That sucks man. How much was the fine? Thanks for sharing though, hopefully your misfortune helps others avoid such a fate.

$115.00 and he let me keep the deer.

twoSevenO
11-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Head only if naturally left attatched to the carcass...

And what's the definition of a "carcass" or "part of a carcass" if the deer is in 20 pieces inside my backpack?

If i leave the head attached to 2" of neck, is that not a part of a carcass?

Give me a break

Keta1969
11-27-2017, 10:36 AM
And what's the definition of a "carcass" or "part of a carcass" if the deer is in 20 pieces inside my backpack?

Give me a break

Seems that didn't work out to well for Lowland6. If I was only using the head for sex and species ID I'd leave it attached to at least a quarter. The rules are there to help CO's prosecute poachers which I think we all want to see. It's unfortunate when someone gets a fine for a mistake in understanding of the regs.

whitlers
11-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Give me a break

I agree with you but that is not how the CO service sees it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?131802-question-for-all-you-hunters-regarding-POSSESS-CARCASS-WITHOUT-PARTS-ATTACHED&highlight=Head+attatched

twoSevenO
11-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Seems that didn't work out to well for Lowland6. If I was only using the head for sex and species ID I'd leave it attached to at least a quarter. The rules are there to help CO's prosecute poachers which I think we all want to see. It's unfortunate when someone gets a fine for a mistake in understanding of the regs.

What I'm trying to say is that if an animal is butchered up into pieces there is no good piece you can call a "carcass" anymore. Even if I'm leaving the tail and testicles they're attached to such small pieces that they might as well be on their own.

The only way you could pull this off is if you kept one quarter whole and to that you left attached the tail and testicle.

But that's not feasible when you're packing one out quite a ways. And I'm not doing it.

I'm taking the head and deboning the rest and will deal with the CO when and If that comes up.

I also take plenty of photos and a video of what I've left behind as well as the intact animal before i start butchering so that certainly can't hurt in my proof.

whitlers
11-27-2017, 05:43 PM
What I'm trying to say is that if an animal is butchered up into pieces there is no good piece you can call a "carcass" anymore. Even if I'm leaving the tail and testicles they're attached to such small pieces that they might as well be on their own.

The only way you could pull this off is if you kept one quarter whole and to that you left attached the tail and testicle.

But that's not feasible when you're packing one out quite a ways. And I'm not doing it.

I'm taking the head and deboning the rest and will deal with the CO when and If that comes up.

I also take plenty of photos and a video of what I've left behind as well as the intact animal before i start butchering so that certainly can't hurt in my proof.

I feel what your saying. They dont really make it easy to do that properly. I usually leave a tesiticle and tail on one rear quarter and then a patch of hair on each other quarter. Then bring the head out with. I guess if your debonning completely then yes it makes this rule very difficult. Its to bad they didnt think of that when the wrote it eh.

Salty
11-27-2017, 06:19 PM

You're making perfect logical sense tSO, problem is perfect logical sense and laws don't always go together. Reminds me of when me and another guy got hauled up on the carpet by WCB back prior to it being Worksafe. The officer had us in his office and started his critique with "gentlemen, this has nothing to do with common sense or even safety really for that matter it has to do with rules". It was for having a guy in a trench more than 4 feet deep with no shoring, even though it was barely over and the top was paved so impossible to collapse. We got written up but he was nice enough to just do a written warning, could have been fined heavily.

Anyways the rules have changed for packing deer but all accounts and personally I'll be following them. As silly as they are in this instance its what the COs are left to go by.

IronNoggin
11-27-2017, 06:34 PM
... Anyways the rules have changed for packing deer but all accounts and personally I'll be following them. As silly as they are in this instance its what the COs are left to go by.

Damn great advise! Especially for when you draw the short straw, and get the newbie CO with an attitude issue!!

Cheers,
Nog

HarryToolips
11-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Same here with the pics, and I agree, deboning it that way would be a royal pain in the ass..