PDA

View Full Version : I had a good meeting with my MLA

AlexPdHJ
11-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Today I had a very productive meeting with my MLA Judy Darcy. She was very interested in what I wanted to talk to her about. We chatted and she took many notes and her assistant also wrote down key information. I can honestly say that she seemed genuinely interested and concerned about wildlife and habitat. We discussed everything on my agenda below and she was honest about how it was very unlikely that my concerns about the issues related to grizzly bears would change because they have a lot of other issues which are taking priority right now. That was disappointing. She did commit to take my commentary to the minister Doug Donaldson and raise issues of conservation with him. My goal with this first meeting was to introduce myself and my concerns. I wanted to draw attention to the fact that hunters are her constituents and care about habitat and wildlife more than anyone. I feel like I accomplished that goal. I followed the “give something to get something” principle and offered to be a resource for her if she has hunting or wildlife related questions. I broke the ice and now she knows a hunter in her constituancy who cares about wildlife and conservation. This is my first step in making our concerns an important issue in New Westminster. I am going to meet with her regularly to keep our issues at the forefront. Hopefully this is a good first step in showing that hunters are not the enemy of wildlife and conservation. We care the most about our precious wild places and stand up for wildlife more than our detractors would have the public believe.

Hunters Want Habitat Conservation and RestorationNovember 24, 2017
Who:
Alex Johnson, Hunter, Engineer, BCWF Member, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member
New Westminster
There are approximately 95,000 resident hunters in BC, and many in NDP ridings. There are 4 on my street alone in New Westminster (Note the decals on pickup truck rear windows).
What:
1) Hunters are your neighbours and we are not poachers

a. Hunters follow rules prescribed by the province

b. Hunters contribute to conservation through licensing, donations, and memberships

c. Hunters are a useful tool to collect data and manage wildlife with little cost.
2) Habitat conservation and restoration is the only way to protect wildlife

a. Mountain Caribou declines and currently predator control is a last resort

b. BC steelhead are critically endangered in many streams and rivers

c. Moose populations are declining in much of the province (See moose report)

d. Grizzly bears which have a healthy growing population are distracting from actual conservation issues due to their charisma and public opinion.
3) Increase funding to allow biologists and conservation officers the tools to restore habitat and manage wildlife populations

a. BC has 1/10th the per-capita funding for habitat and wildlife of Idaho and many other states.

b. All outdoor activities impact habitat and wildlife such as, resource extraction, skiing, boating, mountain biking, hiking, camping, hunting, and fishing.

c. BC’s biologists only have the resources to watch habitat and animals slowly disappear, but not enough to do anything about it.

d. BC’s conservation officers only have enough funding to manage problem animals rather than prevent poaching or polluting.
4) Manage grizzly bears the same way as black bears, moose, elk, deer, caribou, mountain sheep, mountain goats, etc. They should not receive special status due to their charisma.

a. Edible portions must be removed

b. Managed though regulations (General open seasons and/or LEH)

c. No special requirements to leave head, hide, or paws in the woods. This is wasteful, unethical, and accomplishes nothing.
When:
1) Now. Habitat and animals cannot wait.

a. An election could happen soon

b. The grizzly bear announcement comes into effect at the end of the month and wasting the hide, head, and paws is serious misstep which can be avoided. It is not based in science or evidence.
Where:
1) We don’t know! We do not have enough biologists collecting enough data to know where we need to act most quickly.
How:
1) Ensure science and evidence put forward by provincial biologists is the primary source for setting conservation goals for wildlife populations and habitat restoration.
2) Follow through on the campaign promise to earmark all hunting and fishing license fees to conservation

a. Moderately increase fees to improve funding
3) Find new funding sources for habitat and conservation.

a. Outdoor equipment excise taxes or earmarked PST. Everyone should pay their share. In many US states taxes on the purchase of camping equipment, ski gear, boats, firearms, ammunition, fishing tackle, bikes, hiking gear, etc. go directly to conservation.

b. Regulation and fees on resource extraction industry

c. Tourism and other outdoor activities should contribute. Levies on ski passes, campground and park fees.
4) Increase public awareness

a. More provincial campgrounds. (Reservations are impossible to get these days)

b. Awareness about where meat comes from and ethical-sustainable food sources.

c. Hunters are your neighbours and your friends.

d. Hunters are the number 1 champions for wildlife and habitat … and we pay $$$.

dougan
11-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Thank you for your efforts

Spy
11-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Good job thanks for the effort, great to know there are hunters out there taking this issue seriously... Keep us updated...

Chrispryn
11-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Hat off to you Sir. I especially agree with your first point of hunters been neighbours not poachers. Its a very tough arguement to explain how much we love these animals but the goal is to kill them? I truly commend your efforts. Hopefully they dont go unnoticed

Salty
11-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Well organised, professional, respectful and giving her something positive to take away instead of just a pita. Well played sir. That is how its done. If half the hunters put in half this much effort we'd be golden.

reel lucky
11-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Well Done...I guess its time for us hunters to follow your lead and get involved.

Ohwildwon
11-24-2017, 09:39 PM
This is fantastic!

Very well done, to the critical points, with out being to long...

You have spent the time, effort, an excellent way forward!

Thx :)

blackbart
11-24-2017, 09:56 PM
I appreciate your efforts. Well done.

Bugle M In
11-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Excellent Job....great representation!!!

albravo2
11-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Thanks for speaking up, and posting about your activities. Inspirational.

HarryToolips
11-24-2017, 11:35 PM
You've done an excellent job representing hunters Alex, keep up the good work, and yes keep us updated..many of us will follow your lead..

BTF
11-24-2017, 11:38 PM
Well done, I have had a meeting like that before. If we all do a little bit it will make change. Thanks for speaking up

KBC
11-24-2017, 11:39 PM
4) Manage grizzly bears the same way as black bears, moose, elk, deer, caribou, mountain sheep, mountain goats, etc. They should not receive special status due to their charisma.

a. Edible portions must be removed

b. Managed though regulations (General open seasons and/or LEH)

c. No special requirements to leave head, hide, or paws in the woods. This is wasteful, unethical, and accomplishes nothing.
When:
1) Now. Habitat and animals cannot wait.

a. An election could happen soon

b. The grizzly bear announcement comes into effect at the end of the month and wasting the hide, head, and paws is serious misstep which can be avoided. It is not based in science or evidence.

This is a great start but regarding the grizzly issue there needs to be a few things added;

Why? Saying it is wasteful, unethical, and accomplishes nothing is correct but there is no why. Why is it a serious misstep? It will take more to change people's minds than that.

I have been having this conversation with a fair amount of people who support the ban on trophy hunting or who are on the fence and have tried to get the point across that I find it disrespectful to be legally required to waste part of something that has been killed. I point out that there is meat on the head and I've recently read a recipe for cooking the paws as well. Another point is leaving the hide to rot in the woods or make use of it as a rug etc.

Great work actually going to your MLA. It has been awhile since I did the same and I will follow your lead in my own riding with the same concerns.

AlexPdHJ
11-25-2017, 10:17 AM
This is a great start but regarding the grizzly issue there needs to be a few things added;

Why? Saying it is wasteful, unethical, and accomplishes nothing is correct but there is no why. Why is it a serious misstep? It will take more to change people's minds than that.

I have been having this conversation with a fair amount of people who support the ban on trophy hunting or who are on the fence and have tried to get the point across that I find it disrespectful to be legally required to waste part of something that has been killed. I point out that there is meat on the head and I've recently read a recipe for cooking the paws as well. Another point is leaving the hide to rot in the woods or make use of it as a rug etc.

Great work actually going to your MLA. It has been awhile since I did the same and I will follow your lead in my own riding with the same concerns.

Thanks for support everyone. These are great points about “why” that I’ll add to future conversations. I did discuss some of those reasons in the conversation, but not all. I haven’t yet hunted a bear myself so I can’t speak from first hand experience. That’s a goal of mine for this coming spring. I didn’t grow up hunting and just started in fall 2014 and that has helped me talk with non-hunters because I used to be one. I can honestly say that things that I found sort of off-putting about hunting before I became a hunter now make total sense. Grip and grin photos, antlers and wall mounts seemed pretty macabre to me before I became a hunter. Now I get it. The time and effort you have to put in, the training, the lack of success, one day results in a huge accomplishment. Photos, celebration, and a mount to honour the life of the animal and the adventure it took to get it. It is no different than people who grown a prize pumpkin and take a photo with it and put that on the wall. So, I try to use my previous lack of understanding to empathize with non-hunters who can’t fathom why we do what we do. Most people who I’ve spoken to eventually come around.

338 Mag
11-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Great Job, All Great Points...Hopefully your efforts is the start of a rebuild , this is a very serious and we need that voice to make change...Again well Done.

simonvancouver
11-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Well organised, professional, respectful and giving her something positive to take away instead of just a pita. Well played sir. That is how its done. If half the hunters put in half this much effort we'd be golden.

Have to agree 100% with this, top work

Wild one
11-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Many great points

One that many hunters forget to bring forward. Hunting is not just an activity or hobby it is more so a culture full of traditions. For many harvest of an animal is only a small part of the hunt. It is about honing ones skills and knowledge of wildlife and the wilderness. Passing on or learning these skills through family and friends. It’s about the pursuit of game to remind ones self how our ancestors provided for them selves and their families. It’s reminding our selves that outside of the comfort zone man created we just another species on this earth. Hunting is challenging ones mind and body giving one drive to overcome issues they face. It’s about experiences that will never be forgotten and become stories we pass on

If the main reason we hunted was harvest of meat or trophy the expenses of achieving the harvest there would not be the interest in hunting there is. Hunters would not invest the $ to travel, the gear, and the time off work to get out in the wilderness just for a chance at taking an animal.

Hunters need to truly search their mind for the true reason we hunt and expose them to the public. The reality is the public and hunters them selves dwell on the harvest but this really is a small part of hunting.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Judy will listen and pass your concerns on, She has a lot of influence within the caucus, But remember she but only 1 vote

I worked with her for a while on a few projects before she was elected to Government as well as after in various capacities. She has always had my respect as she always seemed to respect me.

Edzzed
11-25-2017, 12:55 PM
I can't even get my MLA or the health minister to respond to my email sent a month ago. Guess they didn't like me asking the government to cover the cost of B12 and needles. Told them I self inject it or if they don't cover the cost I will just go to the doctor and have him do it at their expense. You'd think they'd be happy to take the cheaper option which is me self injecting.

IronNoggin
11-25-2017, 02:07 PM

Excellent All Round!! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Leading by example certainly sets the table for more to follow suit!
Great job, and lets indeed more step up to bat soon!

Cheers & Thanks!
Matt

one-shot-wonder
11-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Great work! We need more resident hunters like you!!

David
11-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Judy will listen and pass your concerns on, She has a lot of influence within the caucus, But remember she but only 1 vote

I worked with her for a while on a few projects before she was elected to Government as well as after in various capacities. She has always had my respect as she always seemed to respect me.

Ditto.

I worked with Judy back in my CUPE days... for the most part she is a straight shooter. If you talk to her again, bring your wife/girlfriend (if you have one, and especially if they hunt). Judy really believes in standing up for the "sisterhood" and if she is made aware that female hunters feel the same way, that is all to the good.

wideopenthrottle
11-27-2017, 10:57 AM
great work Alex...I too live in New Westminster but no stickers on my truck...cheers

Ourea
11-27-2017, 11:10 AM
This conversation is being had at higher levels as well.
The message and the plan for a fix is getting out and gaining more and more support.

Keep the messaging clear for those that do talk to their MLA.
"Wildlife needs to become a priority in this Province"

HarryToolips
11-27-2017, 10:16 PM
This conversation is being had at higher levels as well.
The message and the plan for a fix is getting out and gaining more and more support.

Keep the messaging clear for those that do talk to their MLA.
"Wildlife needs to become a priority in this Province"
Exactly.....everyone on this site should feel guilty if they haven't sent a letter to their MLA yet....it's real easy folks, let them know how important wildlife is to you..