PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack, I am out to get your blacktails!

caddisguy
11-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Don't worry: given my track record in other areas, they are probably safe ;)

Getting out to my regular spot is going to be problematic this weekend with the highway issues and other obstacles so I am going to go poke around in Chilliwack for the day.

I have an area in mind, which I imagine is pounded by hunters, 4x4ers, maybe shooters, etc. We want to get up in the timber and creep around which will hopefully give us space. It will be nice checking out new timber, looking for BT sign in the "official" BT zone... feel tingly just thinking about it.

I don't remember who all the Chilliwack hunters are here. I was hoping I might be able to PM someone and talk about the area I am planning on heading to see if my expectations are realistic. If anyone knows Chilliwack pretty well (in which case they will know this area) and feel like answering a few questions, please let know.

Would be nice to see some posts about hunting in Chilliwack here as well. Just general stuff though so we don't blow up any spots.

ryanonthevedder
11-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Never you mind!

My best advice is go where everyone isn't. My home watershed gets so much pressure but if you are willing to walk there is plenty of ground to cover. Unfortunately its thick and you have to be lucky or good. The deer are spread thin over a wide area.

twoSevenO
11-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Never you mind!

My best advice is go where everyone isn't. My home watershed gets so much pressure but if you are willing to walk there is plenty of ground to cover. Unfortunately its thick and you have to be lucky or good. The deer are spread thin over a wide area.

My plan for a hike tomorrow. Somewhere where others won't go. Caddisguy if ya want to tag up. Let me know.

VFX_man
11-24-2017, 05:00 PM
Good luck. Looks like HWY 1 is partially open -- 1 lane in each direction. I can't get out this weekend due to being at the the Hop-Scotch festival in Van -- at least I know that is a guaranteed way to kill . . . some beer and scotch! :razz:

caddisguy
11-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Highway 1 is probably the most minor of many obstacles to my other spot.

Pretty certain about heading out to for a day trip in Chilliwack tomorrow and I'm cheating a little bit by google-earth scouting and then looking for first hand accounts of an area rather than just heading in and checking it out trial-and-error style.

That said, my questions are mostly about how much of a zoo the area is, if I can camp there and whether or not my car will get broken into or shot up while I am gone lol

Not expecting to see a buck by any means, but it would be nice to check out some terrain, get in the timber and get onto some sign.

Thanks for the replies and PM's so far

PKernohan
11-24-2017, 06:08 PM
I've been all over the chilliwack river valley. I've lived here my whole life. I've never been broken into or had my truck messed with while hunting or fishing. Also I've found the terrain too thick and steep for most, if your willing to get off the road and hike you won't have to worry about the crowds.

caddisguy
11-24-2017, 06:51 PM
I've been all over the chilliwack river valley. I've lived here my whole life. I've never been broken into or had my truck messed with while hunting or fishing. Also I've found the terrain too thick and steep for most, if your willing to get off the road and hike you won't have to worry about the crowds.

That's what I like to hear. The place I normally hunt has a load of vehicle traffic, but I have never run into another hunter or even found much in the way of human sign in the timber (which is also thick and steep enough we have ropes to climb up some of the bluffs) so this all sounds typical / status quo.

I figure we'll take in a bunch of landscape, aim ourselves at something that looks worth checking out... might be a drainage, saddle, knob, funnel, ridge, whatever then hike up into the timber and scout around with a rifle in hand.

No expectations at all. We won't head in until after first light (will need to see) and probably out before last light. Would be funny if we came out with something though.

keoke
11-24-2017, 06:55 PM
watch out for mountain bikers, out here they all wear antlers on thier helmets this time of year.

Chrispryn
11-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Starting to look like a HBC meet and greet in the chilliwack mountains tomorrow. See you all out there.

twoSevenO
11-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Starting to look like a HBC meet and greet in the chilliwack mountains tomorrow. See you all out there.

chilliwack is the new princeton :)

dmaxtech
11-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Ha ha. I’m hunting Chilliwack tomorrow too but I’ll be very surprised if I see another hunter.

Chrispryn
11-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Ha ha. I’m hunting Chilliwack tomorrow too but I’ll be very surprised if I see another hunter.

I hope your right. Good luck tomorrow

caddisguy
11-24-2017, 11:19 PM

Totally going to be in your spot first light! :D

Just kidding I probably won't make it until late morning and will be probing for ideal landscape for an hour or two, then creeping into the timber somewhere im not intruding on someone watching a treeline or a cut (hoping it's not that busy)

I'll be lucky to "slow-scout-hunt" for an hour or two before I have to head out. Wham Bam thank you wack... maybe check in for a night or two next time

Chrispryn
11-27-2017, 12:55 PM
So how did the rest of the chilliwack army make out?
I jumped one in his bed and he went for calgary before i could get a shot off. I know twoseventy nailed a good animal. What about the rest of you?

Wild one
11-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Chilliwack can be good black tail hunting just stay out of the mountains

Frank grimes
11-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Chilliwack can be good black tail hunting just stay out of the mountains
Sasquatch?

IronNoggin
11-27-2017, 04:10 PM
... I know twoseventy nailed a good animal.

So, where is the story & the pix?? http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

Or did he manage to get it taken away for illegally removing the evidence of sex & species in order to backpack it out?? :lol:

Wondering...
Nog

Wild one
11-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Sasquatch?

Look where others don’t is all I can give you any more on an open forum they become areas everyone looks

twoSevenO
11-27-2017, 05:03 PM
So, where is the story & the pix?? http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

Or did he manage to get it taken away for illegally removing the evidence of sex & species in order to backpack it out?? :lol:

Wondering...
Nog

LOL. By the time I came off that mountain with him in my pack all the COs were gone home for the day.

Ok, I'll post something soon.

And don't get your hopes up. It's nothing to write home about lol.

caddisguy
11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Way to go guys!! I didn't even make it out. Bad case of the sniffles and fever (and I figured I'd let twoSevenO get his buck anyway lol) I'm mostly better now. Probably heading out this weekend for a night or two.

Congrats again! Looking forward to the full story and picture.

Rayne
11-27-2017, 07:20 PM
I took home a decent bodied spike back on the 11 of November. 6 trips out no deer sighting and then it finally all came together. I've seen deer every time I've gone up since.

Camp Cook
11-28-2017, 07:22 AM
I've been so busy working that I haven't gotten out much other to walk my 4 dogs but we found a full bodied two point blacktail Wed morning Nov 22.

We had passed on a little 1 1/2" - 2" spike with his mom the day before spotted the 2 point buck only 50 yards away from where the doe was.

Rifle used was a shortened to 19" barreled T/C Contender carbine in 6.8SPC loaded with 95gr Barnes TTSX @ 2880fps.

Yes it is tough to find deer when you have 4 big dogs running around with you.

My buddy also sent me a pic of a beauty fully mature 4 point blacktail taken up in the snow somewhere in the Chilliwack Valley yesterday.

caddisguy
12-10-2017, 03:41 PM
That said, my questions are mostly about how much of a zoo the area is, if I can camp there and whether or not my car will get broken into or shot up while I am gone lol

I never did make it out there, but heads up for anyone heading out there. Some cars and campers got shot up last night. One person sleeping in their jeep near the hatchery almost got killed.

Hits home for me as I usually sleep in the jeep. Always in the back of my mind I could get hurt by people who like to shoot cars for fun.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2525572810?view=permalink&id=10154848595902811&ref=bookmarks

twoSevenO
12-11-2017, 09:59 PM
I never did make it out there, but heads up for anyone heading out there. Some cars and campers got shot up last night. One person sleeping in their jeep near the hatchery almost got killed.

Hits home for me as I usually sleep in the jeep. Always in the back of my mind I could get hurt by people who like to shoot cars for fun.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2525572810?view=permalink&id=10154848595902811&ref=bookmarks

Lots of drunk people driving around in Chilliwack and Harrison areas shooting at all hours of the night. Can't say i'm surprised to hear this.

But speaking of people camping near the hatchery .... what's up with that? There is a camper or two and people just seem to be there year round now. Downriver from the hatchery, the "cement slab" i think the run is called. I thought they were there for salmon season. But when i drove by earlier this month they were there camping still. Salmon run would have long been over. :/

dmaxtech
12-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Lots of squatters camping out in the Chilliwack River Valley. Saw one guy set up at the top of a cut block. Looked like he was planning on staying the winter. Had his pet cat even.

twoSevenO
12-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Lots of squatters camping out in the Chilliwack River Valley. Saw one guy set up at the top of a cut block. Looked like he was planning on staying the winter. Had his pet cat even.

This is true, i suppose. There was a guy that lived at Tamihi campground out of his tent all of last year. Every time i'd go steelhead fishing he was there. Must have been a brutal winter to spend in an unheated tent every night.

I always figured the squatters hung around closer to town. Guess they've expanded their range.

britman101
12-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Stupid crap like that is going to get someone killed one of these days. And when that happens it just gives the anti gun lovers more ammo for their side.

Big Lew
12-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Some don't know there's anyone around...I was sleeping in my truck during the first week of bow season
in the north Princeton area when suddenly there was rapid firing across a small ravine from me. I could see
lights from a vehicle and hear loud music as well. Some of the bullets came my way, smacking into trees etc.
I fired up my truck and raced over to them, parking right in front of their truck with all my lights in their face.
It was a young fellow and his girl friend. I must of scared the heck out of them...enough that when I told him
to give me his gun he did so. I then told him to pick it up at the Princeton RCMP office. He took off and I have
no idea if he went and got his gun or not.

digger dogger
12-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Yup looks like he's staying the winter, I can see him from my neighbors deck with my spotting scope.

Chrispryn
12-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Speaking of idiots shooting without care.

Good friend of mine was still hunting a forested hillside in the chilliwack valley . 3 young punks parked next to his truck and began firing into the hillside he was hunting. He could hear the bushes around him breaking from the shots.

When confronted, the punks responded "we yelled out 'fire in the hole"

He photographed the cars and reported to police. No doubt there will be no consequences.

Anyways. Stay safe and be responsible with your firearms.

Chris