PDA

View Full Version : Podcast topic ideas? Havalon knife raffle

Highlander Hunting
11-23-2017, 01:04 PM
We're looking for podcast topic ideas for our Alberta based Highlander Hunting Podcast. We're really trying to bring on original guests, and cover topics that the larger, mostly US based podcasts aren't covering.

So in order to get more ideas than we can generate, we thought we'd ask people their thoughts. In exchange for your two cents, we put your name in a raffle for a Havalon replaceable blade knife!

details on how to have your name thrown in the hat at:
highlanderhunting.podbean.com

Cheers.
John

skibum
11-23-2017, 02:29 PM
How to articulate what hunting is to the non-hunter.

Highlander Hunting
11-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Yeah that's a good one.
Thanks.

leftfield
11-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Perhaps why larger news organizations , CBC etc, won't cover the very real problem of poaching.... first nations and otherwise. As well as lopsided hunting practices like pit lamping and how conservation is affected by bad seasonal hunting practices. Maybe some hardball topics like this would set you apart from other podcasts

VFX_man
11-23-2017, 04:34 PM
How hunting techniques vary from region to region. Having grown up in the Missouri Ozarks, I am having to adapt to a different style and approach to hunting. Yes, generally deer are the same, but a small farm country WT will behave differently in a more remote location like in isolated BC regions.

Highlander Hunting
11-23-2017, 05:10 PM
That's been made a difficult one to tackle...Without sounding racist to those unfamiliar with this issue.
CBC Manitoba did an article on their dwindling moose population. But didn't get into underlying causes of rampant poaching. They focused on the safety issue of people hunting farms at night and stray bullets.

I've wondered how any kind of accurate wildlife management plan can exist when unrestricted year long hunting can take place....

Highlander Hunting
11-23-2017, 05:15 PM
We interviewed the developer of the I-Hunter app a while back. He's hunted in Scandenavian countries and explained their party system. It's like a club and you all hunt together. And they put lots of meat on the ground quickly, then all split it.

I'm originally from Ontario and back in the day you could use dogs to drive deer. you'd hear groups of dogs barking their way through the forest. Not sure if that's still done....

Harvest the Land
11-23-2017, 08:47 PM
How hunting techniques vary from region to region. Having grown up in the Missouri Ozarks, I am having to adapt to a different style and approach to hunting. Yes, generally deer are the same, but a small farm country WT will behave differently in a more remote location like in isolated BC regions.

This is an excellent idea. I think this would be most relevant particularly with new hunters. Furthermore, in most areas, hunting for Mulies is different than hunting for Whitetails, and hunting for Blacktails is different than both of those.

Maybe also try to get a Biologist on (or a bureaucrat) to explain why its ok to bait for bears in Alberta but not deer, and why its ok to bait for deer in BC but not bears? What's up with that?

I've listened to a couple of your shows and think you guys are doing a great job by the way!

Highlander Hunting
11-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Good suggestions.
Thanks for the feedback

Squamch
11-25-2017, 06:52 AM
See if you can talk to proguide66.

floden
11-25-2017, 07:17 AM
Hi, thanks for posting this question. It will be nice to have a Canadian hunting podcast that's not focussed on New Mexico elk draws Coues Deer and prairie Whiteys.

A few few topic suggestions...
....how to learn an area to hunt it effectively
...how to hunt ( not driving around , like a game of life or death "Battleships").... Have guests share experiences on "how"
...the best road trip hunting question ever.... What is the perfect vehicle / combo for hunting and fishing in BC?
...interview Srupp, Deaddog and other quality contributors - including Steve Isdahl ( pro guide 66)
...how to ask a farm owner for permission.
...Do this live if you can.... Put a region / a species /and a month in three different hats. Draw 1 from each. Discuss ...how best to hunt that animal at that time
...best places to get 1 last hunt in ( ie how to hunt Bowen or other island late in the year without getting chased with picket signs)
...i don't have a dog... How to hunt waterfowl without them
...i don't have a dog.... How to hunt upland birds and succeed
...a discussion on animal retrieval... There's a guy I see in Quesnel every year who hunts alone and only wants to shoot a " high side moose" .... Meaning one on the high side of the road!
...Bush repairs when your "x" breaks down.... Starter, alternator, flat
...tree stand placement when winds shift between dawn and 9 am , or from 330- 430 ( this just happened to me while hunting in 3-30)
...how to properly glass so you can clear an area and move on
...how to find a new hunting partner
....take a kid hunting stories ( we all need to do this)

i'll stop there, I have a podcast of my own so I know how it can be to come up w topics. I hope this helps.
Thanks,

igojuone
11-25-2017, 08:21 AM
We interviewed the developer of the I-Hunter app a while back. He's hunted in Scandenavian countries and explained their party system. It's like a club and you all hunt together. And they put lots of meat on the ground quickly, then all split it.

If this was to become the practice here I'd give up hunting in a heartbeat.

leftfield
11-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Hi, thanks for posting this question. It will be nice to have a Canadian hunting podcast that's not focussed on New Mexico elk draws Coues Deer and prairie Whiteys.

...how to hunt ( not driving around , like a game of life or death "Battleships").... Have guests share experiences on "how"
...the best road trip hunting question ever.... What is the perfect vehicle / combo for hunting and fishing in BC?
...interview Srupp, Deaddog and other quality contributors - including Steve Isdahl ( pro guide 66)
...Do this live if you can.... Put a region / a species /and a month in three different hats. Draw 1 from each. Discuss ...how best to hunt that animal at that time
...best places to get 1 last hunt in ( ie how to hunt Bowen or other island late in the year without getting chased with picket signs)
...a discussion on animal retrieval... There's a guy I see in Quesnel every year who hunts alone and only wants to shoot a " high side moose" .... Meaning one on the high side of the road!
...tree stand placement when winds shift between dawn and 9 am , or from 330- 430 ( this just happened to me while hunting in 3-30)

i'll stop there, I have a podcast of my own so I know how it can be to come up w topics. I hope this helps.
Thanks,

All great suggestions, what’s your podcast btw

floden
11-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Hi , my podcast is in a different industry , sorry if there was confusion.
thanks!

dapesche
11-25-2017, 06:59 PM
I heard a great podcast regarding hunting in grizzly country. The guest actually contracted out to a lot of Alberta oil companies to teach employees on how to be bear aware. Some great tips. With him being a Alberta resident it might resident. Rich outdoors had him on I believe. It was a summer episode.

I'd tune in again to get more details on our area more specifically and more first hand experiences shared. I think rich outdoors was more 'academic' and less practical. Worth a refresher.

srupp
11-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Hmm all great suggestions..one area that year after year has not really been a dressed and is critically important.
Wilderness survival first aid..what to do..what not to do..lots of well intentioned individuals also defeat the first rule..do no harm, don't make it worse.
My neighbor Peter just died while trying to get his deer to the truck...perhaps nothing would have changed this.
38 years as a Paramedic for the Province of BC I have seen a lot of situations go horribly wrong....fast.
Proper planning, gear, medical kit that is practical enough to actually be taken along.
Proper decision making in when to call in medivac for extrication"
We are blessed with some top notch advanced life support paramedics on this site..far more qualified than myself..Tim..John..come to mind immediately .
We all have that superman thought process..it can't ever happen to me..or our hunting group.
I am reminded .l painfully about big boar. .just last fall...
Just a suggestion
Cheers
Steven

Over 30 plus years amongst grizzlies. .moose strategies..all can make even the well seasoned veterans learn something. Lol all the 4 guys on this year's moose hunt had never seen things done quite the way we proceeded, eyes were opened to additional ideas, strategies ..all great topics..but life itself is most important..

Highlander Hunting
11-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Thanks Floden.
If you email us these suggestions, and title the email "wild meat". We can add you to the knife draw.

Thanks,

Highlander Hunting
11-27-2017, 07:35 AM
This is a great topic idea. Reminder to all of us to keep ourselves prepared.

If you email us this suggestion and title the email "wild meat", you'll be entered into the draw.

highlanderhuntingpodcast@gmail.com

Hmm all great suggestions..one area that year after year has not really been a dressed and is critically important.
Wilderness survival first aid..what to do..what not to do..lots of well intentioned individuals also defeat the first rule..do no harm, don't make it worse.
My neighbor Peter just died while trying to get his deer to the truck...perhaps nothing would have changed this.
38 years as a Paramedic for the Province of BC I have seen a lot of situations go horribly wrong....fast.
Proper planning, gear, medical kit that is practical enough to actually be taken along.
Proper decision making in when to call in medivac for extrication"
We are blessed with some top notch advanced life support paramedics on this site..far more qualified than myself..Tim..John..come to mind immediately .
We all have that superman thought process..it can't ever happen to me..or our hunting group.
I am reminded .l painfully about big boar. .just last fall...
Just a suggestion
Cheers
Steven

Over 30 plus years amongst grizzlies. .moose strategies..all can make even the well seasoned veterans learn something. Lol all the 4 guys on this year's moose hunt had never seen things done quite the way we proceeded, eyes were opened to additional ideas, strategies ..all great topics..but life itself is most important..

ajr5406
11-27-2017, 08:47 AM
I am a big fan of your podcast! Here are my suggestions:

1. Wild game cooking ( I really liked the episode with Hank Shaw), more of these would be great
2. Wilderness survival (like Srupp suggested): essential parts of a backpack survival kit, tips of navigation, what to do if you get lost, how to set up an emergency camp etc. Perhaps you can have someone like Steven as a guest? He has lots of experience and also has helped many people on this forum.
3. Hunting birds (upland and waterfowl) and what we need to get started
4. What to do in the offseason (health and fitness, scouting for next season, making the freezer stock last)

Thanks guys!

floden
11-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Will do thanks

Highlander Hunting
12-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Thanks to everyone who emailed us.
As an update, we built a site to house notes photos, etc that expands upon what we discuss. it's about 70% populated now.
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/

madBEAVER
12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Good website- could you add a detailed gear list for your background?