PDA

View Full Version : To The Sheep Hunters

Big Bucks
08-09-2007, 10:22 PM
When you guys are out hunting do you guys use tents or do you save weight and use a sill tarp to sleep under ? Are bugs a factor or is the wind to gusty for the bugs to be out way up there where the sheep are ?
Would like to here what you guys have to say .

44inchStone
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Just got back yesterday...... Was up stone hunting.
Bugs were absolutley crazy, I think mainly because of alot of standing water and late heavy rainfalls. Have tried the tarp thing and unless you have something like a Bivy bag to keep you dry then a small light tent is the way to go. We all like to roll around in the middle of the night and for some reason never wake up in the same place as you fell asleep in. Go with a tarp and expect to get wet, especially if the tarp is small.
Go with a small tent and small tarp to keep the gear dry.
It's all up to you. Some people go with the tarp. I guess it's personal preference. Good luck.

srupp
08-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I used the finest tent surplus Herbies had No not the $29 model I went ALL out $39 model..lol..and am glad I did LOTS of bugs of every description and the rain would have been too much for a tarp this year..massive amounts of h2o..
I burned the tent prior to leaving to save weight for the trip out..just how I did it..
Steven

Nimrod
08-10-2007, 05:24 AM
I did a solo hunt with a outdoor research gator Bivi ,great for keeping dry ,nice and light, but you still need a tarp or overhanging cliff or boulder to get in and out of the thing if it rain hard. I've been in it with a torrential downpour all night and been dry as a bone but getting out and dressing is not fun.
now I take the tent , I have a MEC snow field with the 2 vestibules on each end, this is great cause you can stay in the thing all day if the fog rolls in and cook in the vestibule if it rains hard, for me worth the extra weight.

harbinger
08-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Yup, having the tent is the way to go and like the guys are saying the tarp is nice to have as well. If you spend the money your tent will onlt weigh about five pounds all in, worth every ounce. Two doors is great and one with a double vestibule is even better!

Shade Tree
08-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I use a Sierra Designs CD LIGHT it is a bit cramped for my 6'3 frame, but it weighs 2.5 lbs. Also I siliconed the fly while this will add an ounce or two it is now quite waterproof. I may go to a singe walled tent in the future.

bigwhiteys
08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Integral Designs MK-III is what I am using for a tent. It's about 5 pounds and is a 4 season single walled mountain tent perfect for 2 guys. The Sil-Tarp II I use for emergency shelter or cooking space. I wouldn't want to sleep under one on a sheep hunt! In heavy rain the sil-tarp covers the tent perfectly and has enough room down the sides to store packs and boots out of the rain. This keeps the tent bone dry.

I bring one of the ultra small bottles of "off" to fight the bugs... They surprisingly don't bug me that bad though, and if they do it only lasts a day or so and then for some reason I get left alone.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Big Bucks
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys for the info , it's great to here your guys imput , now i just have to get out there in the bush .

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, that's it.
These threads are confirming it.
I have to do a sheep hunt next year.

BCrams
08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I use a Mountain Hardwear Approach. Shade under 5lbs. Buddy found single wall tents to collect too much moisture inside the walls over several days of cold wet mountain weather and you're stuck inside.

bigwhiteys
08-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Buddy found single wall tents to collect too much moisture inside the walls over several days of cold wet mountain weather and you're stuck inside.

You do have to make sure it's well ventilated or yes you will get damp. ID tents have tube vents up top which circulate lots of air, there is an awning over the door, or you can use the vestibule/sil-tarp and keep the door wide open with the bug screen.

Carl

BCrams
08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Too much hassle if you have to do that to get ventilation for a tent in my opinion! No need to with my tent!

One Shot
08-10-2007, 12:33 PM
I burned the tent prior to leaving to save weight for the trip out..just how I did it..
Steven
Didn't your mother tell you about the dangers of smoking in bed.:-D

rollingrock
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I bought Mountainsmith Satellite 1 Person Tent 3.5 season. Very good one and cost effective. 3 lbs only.

Orangethunder
08-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I use a tarn 2 from MEC and a MEC scout tarp. I am super happy with the tent which is just under 5lbs with all the goodies (repair kit, all the pegs). The tent has performed flawlessly for me in snow, rain and wind, nice and dry. All under 200 too. A good buy in my mind. This will be my first year trying the tarp so I will let you know upon return. 13 days till departure, cant wait, cant sleep....

srupp
08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
lol @smoking in bed...one shot iwaasnt IN the tent when I matched it..:wink:

I too had a 8x10 clear plastic as a liner under the tent...and also have a Mountain Hard ware tent AWESOME I use for moose and fly in hunts..I bought this one with the idea of having to burn it...really was hardly worth the match :mrgreen:However w/o a tent it would have been more miserablea place temporarily out of wind and rain..ended up sleeping more on the top in raingear..but in NORMAL hunting it would be advisable?to have a tent...

Steven

Brambles
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Sierra Designs Electron

butcher
08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Marmot Nutshell. Tarp for gear.

hunter1947
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I will be useing a 10x10 tarp when i pack into a spike camp this year ,just put a pole up 5feet from one tree to a nother then put the tarp up ,lay logs or other things at the bottom to keep it down.:wink:.

butcher
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
That would work okay if there were trees to tie off to. Don't have that convenience in most places I sheep hunt.

kutenay
08-11-2007, 06:03 AM
I have used three singlewall tents since 1977, the Early Winters Light Dimension, Bibler Solo Dome and now my Integral Designs MKI-XL; these all worked well and are light, but, Gore-Tex type membrane clothing and tents work best in winter camping and not as well in heavy, longterm rain.

I have used these tents for as long as six weeks straight in the Flathead and they WORK, you simply have to know how to use them. ANY waterproof tent will get wet with condensation, my worst was my North Face VE dome which I finally gave to my nephew after years of being pizzed off with it.

I now use Kifaru tipis, with a folding wood stove and liner, big bux and slow to get, but, a fine base camp shelter. I also find the Integral Designs gear to be superb and have four of their bivies for different uses, my oldest since '93'94. I recetly bought the finest tent I have ever had, a Hilleberg Saivo and these are just fabulous; they are NOT cheap.

For alpine hunting, I carry an ID Mega Sola shelter plus an ID Syltarp III, about 5 lbs. and a superb shelter in ANY weather, minutes to erect and comfortable. Hilleberg has a tent coming out, the "Soulos" that will also be excellent for this, they are in Washington state and ship real quickly plus I deal with a guy in Utah that is just awesome in service.

I have spent many nights in a tiny bivy with micro tarp, get's real old, real fast so I pack the ID-MS and the weight is worth it. My minimal camp is an ID-Unishelter with ID Sylwing, about 3.5 lbs. Mine is 13 years old and like new, this is GOOD gear.

There is an eVent version of the ID-Uni. in dark green and this with an ID-Syltarp II in OD is probably the best short-term alpine shelter out there right now, just under 3 lbs, all up and it WILL keep you warm, dry and is easy to erect. The bad part is that it costs serious coin, but, to me, the ID quality is WORTH the price.

willy442
08-11-2007, 06:45 AM
14X14 Eena pyramid 32pds with poles. Stove and pipes for heat and cooking in the rain 30pds. No freeze dried food (all fresh and frozen meat) Meat can be kept for days in the moss if frozen. 30" cast iron frying pan (excellent for cooking Sheep steaks)10pds. 1 hayburner to ride per person and a couple to pack gear. This camp allows you to hunt for an unlimited amount of time in the adverse mountain weather and really saves on blisters. The draw back is taking care of hayburners in the off season.

srupp
08-11-2007, 09:46 AM
THAT would be a DREAM hunt , carry all the gear you want and cover vast amounts of territory...way more comfortable..watched a show from Ketchika area last nite 4o plus days on horseback ridearound...

Steven

WoodOx
08-12-2007, 11:12 PM
willy

How well would it work to have one horse per person only to carry you and gear? No good?

willy442
08-13-2007, 04:48 AM
willy

How well would it work to have one horse per person only to carry you and gear? No good?

I would walk and let the horse carry the gear. I have done this in the past and works very well, best if packed so you can jump on at the river xing's.