PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Bay Clean Up...

deltawaterfowler
11-22-2017, 02:23 PM
I was out hunting Boundary Bay last weekend with some friends during the windstorm. With winds clocking at over 50KM/Hr it was a tough day of shooting... but we still managed to get a few ducks.

One thing that we noted was the sheer amount of shells and general garbage lying around the marsh. It was really discouraging to see our "backyard" in such a state. There was evidence of one group that had not only left behind all their empty ammo boxes and empty shells, but also left behind crushed beer cans and a small dead duck as well. While I can't prove who did this, it sure as shit paints a clear picture of type the hunter or hunters who were using this area previously.

That being said, I think organizing an end of season marsh clean up might generate some goodwill. Anyone else game?

MichelD
11-22-2017, 02:27 PM
I go there at another time of year to harvest some wild vegetable and get at least a bag of shells and boxes for the garbage too.

boblly1
11-22-2017, 03:18 PM
post the date and time as i live on the island but i would gladly donate the day just to help out

fudge
11-22-2017, 04:49 PM
I'm in tell me the time and date

deltawaterfowler
11-23-2017, 12:13 AM
The duck season for us ends on January 19th which is a Friday. I don't have a date in mind, but perhaps Saturday the 20th or Sunday the 21st?

SuperYeti
11-23-2017, 12:43 AM
I've been noticing the same thing down at the bottom of 72nd. I always take my shells, and any other ones I see on my way out. If we can get enough people together, we should talk to the city of Delta, and see if they will open the gates to get a truck in to haul out the stuff, or if they will donate some city worker time to pickup garbage bags if we get them to the dyke. I'd definitely be in either way.

BigD_83
11-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Keep the thread going. I can't bring a truck to haul stuff away, but I have my waders and the energy to pick up garbage.

deltawaterfowler
11-23-2017, 11:20 AM
I've been noticing the same thing down at the bottom of 72nd. I always take my shells, and any other ones I see on my way out. If we can get enough people together, we should talk to the city of Delta, and see if they will open the gates to get a truck in to haul out the stuff, or if they will donate some city worker time to pickup garbage bags if we get them to the dyke. I'd definitely be in either way.

Contacting the city would be an excellent idea. Couldn't hurt to maybe contact the local Delta newspaper too. A photo and article of the pickup would be really good and maybe help change peoples perspective on the GOOD work that hunters do to help conserve and protect our environment.

Livewire322
11-23-2017, 02:21 PM
I packed out a 5 gallon pail full of trash from the area two weeks ago.

The thing that really needs to be cleaned up in the area are the ingrates that shoot 10 minutes past legal light.

SuperYeti
11-23-2017, 03:43 PM
I packed out a 5 gallon pail full of trash from the area two weeks ago.

The thing that really needs to be cleaned up in the area are the ingrates that shoot 10 minutes past legal light.

Or 20 minutes before. Called RAPP on one last week.

Livewire322
11-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Or 20 minutes before. Called RAPP on one last week.

Right on, if i could gather proof I’d be doing the same.

fudge
11-25-2017, 09:29 PM
I'm in for the 20th.... 21 I have to work.. I have a truck u can fill and dump for free

deltawaterfowler
11-29-2017, 02:17 PM
I'm leaning toward the Saturday too... we'll get more organized as we get closer to it.

OceanMon
12-26-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm down. Please hit me up with details. Will likely bring wife and kid too

deltawaterfowler
01-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Sounds good. We'll keep everyone posted as things get closer. Planing for the 20th. Seems to work best for most folks so far. I'll start to PM everyone who expressed interest in the next few weeks to firm up who can and can't come. The stretch of marsh we'd be looking at would be kid friendly. Generally relatively safe to have the kids out in that stretch of marsh under close supervision.

bigredchev
01-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Which section of the dyke?

deltawaterfowler
01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
The area I had in mind is at the end of 112th and Ladner Trunk road. Parking is an issue but I'll try and get that resolved before hand.

deltawaterfowler
01-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Okay folks, have a timeline set for the clean up.

When: Saturday, January 20th @ 12:00pm-3pm.
Where: End of 112 street and Ladner Trunk Road. (Nearest address via google maps is: 4769 112 Street, Delta, BC)
Parking: There is limited parking adjacent to Seabreeze Farms, you may also park along Hornby Street. I will shuttle everyone back and forth if need be to avoid the "long walk" to the dyke. I'm going to try and see about permission to park at the end of the road, but can't guarantee access at this point.

Low tide is around 2ish, so I figure we can start around 12:00pm and go to about 3:00pm or so depending on conditions. Can't predict the weather, but hopefully conditions will be fair that day. Bring gloves, I'll supply the garbage bags. If anyone has a light wheelbarrow or game cart for hauling the garbage bags back to the main road that would be great!

I appreciate everyone willing to help with this! Nice to be able to give back a little. I've PM'd everyone in this thread with the same details in this post in case it gets missed. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

deltawaterfowler
01-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Forgot to mention in my PM, please do RSVP if you can or can't make it. I've left my phone number with you all in the PM that I sent.

Thanks!

Fishgutz
01-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Would waders be required?

deltawaterfowler
01-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Waders wouldn't hurt, but not really necessary. Just a good pair of gum boots ought to be fine. We'll be hitting the marsh as the tide is going out too, so that should make things easier for those without.

Also, the city of Delta got back to me today - they'll provide us with garbage bags and pickers. They are also going to pick up all the trash for us the following business day, so that is great!

deltawaterfowler
01-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Bump. Just want to make sure everyone sees this. Please RSVP if you are able to come and help.

Thanks!

deltawaterfowler
01-17-2018, 09:56 AM
:sad:

Unfortunately, looks like we may have to cancel. Haven't heard back from the majority of those who offered to help. If I can't get a group together this time around, I'll co-ordinate and setup a time to coincide with the Delta/Ladner Rod and Gun club clean up after the Spring Goose season.

I'll make the final call by the end of the day.

deltawaterfowler
01-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Boundary Bay Clean Up cancelled due to lack of support.

We will try again after the Spring Goose season. As I previously mentioned, I'll co-ordinate and setup a time to coincide with the Delta/Ladner Rod and Gun club clean up at Wellington Point after the Spring Goose season.

Thanks again to those who responded and offered help. Hopefully we can get some boots on the ground next time around.

deltawaterfowler
04-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Hi folks,

May is just around the corner and I'd like to start bolstering support for a May clean up for Boundary Bay. I have garbage pickers, bags and free garbage pickup from the city of Delta already arranged so all we need are some committed volunteers and we are good to go. I will be co-coordinating this to coincide with the Wellington Point Delta Rod and Gun Club cleanup.

Please send me a PM or respond to this thread if interested.

Thanks!

Ben

deltawaterfowler
04-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Bump. Anyone? Looking for volunteers. Thanks!

silveragent
06-25-2018, 02:40 PM
sorry I was off line for awhile from this forum. My hunting buddy and I took part in the Great Canadian Shoreline clean up and we lead three ladies around Brunswick point picking at least a truck load of trash. We picked up a car fender, a wheel, there was a door panel, so someone lost an entire car there somehow. And we got tons of other trash that we had to put up on the dyke for a truck to come pick up. I also identified this fishing container that got stuck there over winter. I emailed a dozen agencies and I still don't know if it was dealt with.

deltawaterfowler
06-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Good for you for helping out. It's crazy what ends up on shore. Wish I knew about that clean up would have participated. There needs to be a sticky on here with dates or something. Or a link to wherever that information is posted. I wasn't able to get anyone together this time around and have been so busy with the new Lab pup is been a little hectic here.