PDA

View Full Version : Cali Rams

Big Bucks
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
which cali heard do you all think is the most healthy of the heards , and will probably put out the biggest rams for the book?

Kirby
08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Kamloops Lake or Mount Paul

Kirby

Big Bucks
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Which heard do you think that has a open season?

Kirby
08-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Ahhhh... no idea.

but I await more informed peoples answer.

Kirby

srupp
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
HA! THIS I know! Been hunting and watching the Cariboo cali herds for 3 decades and have 2 WONDERFUL CALI BIG HORN ..

Bad news is 80 % are now gone due to lungworm die off..

There are 5 bands of sheep with "pockets" of smaller groups of sheep..

I know where there are 20 full curl rams over the 5 areas..

Kamloops lake..my Paul havnt been hit by lung worm and hopefully wont..GOOD news about the Cariboo bands is Cali bighorns become loners when they get old..crotchety??anyway that MAY protect the big old boyz by isolating them from this die off??but come rut they will come together and puts them at risk....

my best Cali..167 5/8

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sheeptwo.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sheepone.jpg

steven

Kirby
08-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I know where there are 20 full curl rams over the 5 areas..

Please PM me the GPS location so I can confirm this.:-D

Kirby

Seeadler
08-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Please PM me the GPS location so I can confirm this.:-D

Kirby

And I will independently verify!

WoodOx
08-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Me and a partner were scouting some open areas for calis in July. Only spent one full day really, and came up with one legal ram and some smaller ones.

We are lucky enough to be taken by a cali veteran who has taken over 8 full curls.

The first cali he took was like #7 B&C at the time, so its a pig. Ive got pics but no showin!

The areas we were in were not the cariboo herd like steven, but my Dad has hunted the cariboo herd a few years back and missed a shot at a full curl.

Big Bucks
08-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Where do you think the best odds of getting a ram are ? I know how tight lipped sheep hunter's are so i do thank you all for the info .

Big Bucks
08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh ya great ram in the pics , when did you get that one ? was that the junction heard ? Have you ever seen rams near Red mountain ?

BCrams
08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Big Bucks - thats askin too much info isn't it !! :)

Every hunter in BC now wants to know where these rams are !

srupp
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
hmmm yes there are some rams Red mountain"area" non currently look to be legal..my rams were shot in 2 differnt areas neither was the junction..the junction herd is almost gone..havnt seen a legal ram in there for several years...I am going out to look at a area for sheep maybe tomorrow...

For a big ram stay away from LARGE herds and big well known groups...these sheep have been studied so hard they now spend MOST of their time in amongst the trees

Steven

Big Bucks
08-10-2007, 02:42 PM
thanks for the info Steven , i was always wondering about red mountain , i once saw about 10 rams in between nine mile and red mountain , 3 were for sure shooters . It's good to here that there are still rams out in that area .

srupp
08-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes the "nine mile ridge" did have some exellent rams..and they tended to be darker in color sort of Taseko color rams... (horns) I think they horn the junipers and get the pitch into their horns???just my view...much darker horns

steven

WoodOx
08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Steven: like this? We watched a cranker of a ram do it

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0183.jpg

GoatGuy
08-10-2007, 05:36 PM
which cali heard do you all think is the most healthy of the heards , and will probably put out the biggest rams for the book?

Does the healthiest herd mean the biggest rams?

GoatGuy
08-10-2007, 05:43 PM
For a big ram stay away from LARGE herds and big well known groups...these sheep have been studied so hard they now spend MOST of their time in amongst the trees
Steven

There's some good info.

My old man's been in on 3 cali's in the cariboo. Same spot everytime, definitely an overlooked area; 2 of them make book but you won't find them there!~:mrgreen:

srupp
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Agaucher..lol well not THAT big usually the small juniper dwarf brush...thats one beat up tree..

bcrams would know more however genetics..nutrition..and longevity all play a part in horn size..the more that rams associate withother rams same size the more they will fight for superiority and the more they fight the more they also break horn off...also calies are notorious broomers...

Several small groups of Calies get DRIVEN by in vehicles by guys off to "get their sheep"

Also calies usually stay w/i their size classification..and the BIG BOYZ will be loners and their bedding areas and home range are very predictable..

Steven

WoodOx
08-11-2007, 08:17 AM
cali ram did do that to the tree, and yes it is the sap that tends to darken their horns.

srupp
08-11-2007, 07:13 PM
agaucher..if I can find them I have some old photos from the good old days from "the valley of the rams " and I have a photo of 20-25 FULL CURL RAMS standing in a line looking at me...dont think we will ever see those days again..we can hope..

Steven

WoodOx
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
wish guys spending big bucks on sheep habitat rehabilitation I can at least hope theres a future for them...

I have no clue why they have a LEh for ok mtn herd already... that is the perfect habitat to grow a strong herd, not to mention its a good sized park...

I am sure there is a logical reason to open it up this early.. or id hope?

bighornbob
08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Agaucher

The new season is actually just a new area designation 8-09A. If you look at the map it is just above Penticton and does not include OK Mountain Park.

If you look in last years regs it would have been just called 8-09 as you could have hunted in the park but there were no sheep. Now that they introduced the sheep they dont want it hunted so they call it 8-09A. I am sure in a few years they will go back to just the 8-09 or they may create the park as a seperate LEH altogether.

BHB

WoodOx
08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
cool cool thanks