PDA

View Full Version : Would hunters support?

dougan
11-20-2017, 06:22 PM
I'm just curious would you as a hunter support mule deer stamp . The idea being the same as the chinook stamp on a fishing licence with 100% of proceeds going to fund wintering habitat ect. With help from biologist on a project like that I think it would benifit animals and hunters alike. No greasy government crooks putting there hand in the jar just hunters funding the rite people to help the deer thrive. I know I would fork out ten bucks or so a year gladly just curious what others think.

11-20-2017, 06:27 PM
I would. I would also like B.C. hunters to unite and fund a province-wide public education campaign to educate the population on the facts around hunting and conservation

338win mag
11-20-2017, 06:32 PM
All your hunting related fees should go to wildlife, and then the government should add to it, but at the very least put the money we put into it, and all of it.

Hunt'n Guide
11-20-2017, 06:43 PM
You are already funding this. Or at least that’s the theory.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/17_8_99#Schedule

Chrispryn
11-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Im interested.

boxhitch
11-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Why start another initiative instead of getting behind the one where all the fees paid by hunters and anglers goes directly to management instead of the general coffers. Think big picture.

dougan
11-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Why start another initiative instead of getting behind the one where all the fees paid by hunters and anglers goes directly to management instead of the general coffers. Think big picture.
Because this would not require trying to keep government honest . Maybe it could be a tool to leverage more of a commitment from government to match proceeds essentially " making them feel obligated to do more"

pnbrock
11-20-2017, 08:36 PM
will this be a safe haven for mule deer or a food plot for special hunters?

HarryToolips
11-20-2017, 08:39 PM
I would. I would also like B.C. hunters to unite and fund a province-wide public education campaign to educate the population on the facts around hunting and conservation
I like the main idea there Dougan, and this also is a good idea..

Harvest the Land
11-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Absolutely! And also lobby for gov to allocate millions more $ and do a much a better job with habitat mgt. with the funds they currently take in

Greenthumbed
11-20-2017, 08:44 PM

I like the OP idea of the stamp and ^^^this idea as well. I like to see some positive stuff like this happen.

Salty
11-20-2017, 09:11 PM
I applaud the sentiments but the problem is that's what all hunting licence fees were for to begin with. And they slowly swept it all under the carpet called general revenue. The last government were going to reverse this to the original idea, the NDPs said good things about doing the same this is where we need to focus first IMO not giving them an easy out with some new initiative. After they restore all fees from hunting towards wildlife management, then I'm in for an extra stamp or whatever to support mule deer no problem, but not before.

Weatherby Fan
11-20-2017, 09:29 PM
I agree all money from Licences and tags should be allocated to wildlife enhancement in their respective Provinces but the OPs idea is a sound one and I would gladly pay extra to support it.

todbartell
11-20-2017, 10:24 PM
All $ from licensing should go to wildlife management. And I would support tags and licenses that were twice the price they have been. $30 mule deer license isn't the end of the world

338win mag
11-20-2017, 10:42 PM
All $ from licensing should go to wildlife management. And I would support tags and licenses that were twice the price they have been. $30 mule deer license isn't the end of the world
I would happily pay more if I knew my $$$ were going back into wildlife.

howa1500
11-20-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm just curious would you as a hunter support mule deer stamp . The idea being the same as the chinook stamp on a fishing licence with 100% of proceeds going to fund wintering habitat ect. With help from biologist on a project like that I think it would benifit animals and hunters alike. No greasy government crooks putting there hand in the jar just hunters funding the rite people to help the deer thrive. I know I would fork out ten bucks or so a year gladly just curious what others think.

Umm.. we already do that... when you buy your Tag... All the licence fees are supposed to go back to wildlife initiatives... (or so I was lead to believe)

The "Mule deer Stamp" would end up being no different, just another load of cash into general revenue...

Having said that, I would be more then happy that if each year there was defined initiative, with clear stats...

I.E. every year X number of hunters purchase mule deer tags, generating X number of $'s. IN 2019 tag price will be $40, and therefore X # OF $'S will have this project done to protect or enhance habitat.

dougan
11-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Umm.. we already do that... when you buy your Tag... All the licence fees are supposed to go back to wildlife initiatives... (or so I was lead to believe)

The "Mule deer Stamp" would end up being no different, just another load of cash into general revenue...

Having said that, I would be more then happy that if each year there was defined initiative, with clear stats...

I.E. every year X number of hunters purchase mule deer tags, generating X number of $'s. IN 2019 tag price will be $40, and therefore X # OF $'S will have this project done to protect or enhance habitat.ah not it would not be general revinue it would be its own foundation nothing to do with government. Salmon tag is the pacific salmon foundation it's own entity.

dougan
11-20-2017, 11:04 PM
I guess my thoughts are counting on government to do the rite thing is like buying lotto tickets to plan for retirement. You get the picture

Bernie O
11-21-2017, 09:24 AM
We already have the habitat surcharge on our licences and tags.That seemed like a good idea at the time, But now it mainly supports government biologist program. When you look at what this group is spending most of our money on it is animal collars and counting. The Thomson steelhead has thousands spent by them on studies and we know where that is getting us. Some is going to habitat but without doing the math I would guess it's less than 10%

338win mag
11-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Dougans thinking is encouraging.
I am puzzled though as to why resident hunters are funding habitat, we aren't the ones who destroyed it to begin with.
Once again forest companies should be on the hook for it and the province should enact legislation to correct the very poor stewardship left behind by these very wealthy corporations.

antlerking
11-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Dougans thinking is encouraging.
I am puzzled though as to why resident hunters are funding habitat, we aren't the ones who destroyed it to begin with.
Once again forest companies should be on the hook for it and the province should enact legislation to correct the very poor stewardship left behind by these very wealthy corporations.
That would make the most sense have timber companies replant native species of forage that animals need for year round feed along with seedlings not just nicely manicured plots of grass and pine trees with nothing for animals to eat. How much extra would it cost them to drop seeds after they run their rippers to aerate soil.

Rob Chipman
11-21-2017, 08:45 PM
I'd support it.

Redneck Rocket
11-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Not only would I support that, but I think we should be pushing for some sort of Pitman-Robertson Act type situation where 100% of licensing revenues are mandated to go to the CO service, habitat restoration & conservation.

Rob Chipman
11-22-2017, 11:26 AM
"where 100% of licensing revenues are mandated to go to the CO service, habitat restoration & conservation"

I think that's the key characteristic that's needed. You're right on the money.

WWBC
11-22-2017, 04:15 PM
If the revenue went were it was supposed to I would.
I'd be interested to see how a small exise tax on all outdoors equipment( ski's, mountain bikes, snowmobiles included) to support management of crown lands would work? This money Could go to inforcment, access, fuel management, trail maintanence, erosion control, environmental study, habitat improvement etc.

Also, charge a conservation tax on Eco tourism operations. They profit from exploiting wildlife and wild places.
They should be paying their fair share....

dbergen69
11-22-2017, 09:53 PM
No support from me.