PDA

View Full Version : Endangered orcas compete with seals, sea lions for salmon

IronNoggin
11-20-2017, 12:28 PM
"Harbor seals, sea lions and some fish-eating killer whales have been rebounding along the Northeast Pacific Ocean in recent decades. But that boom has come with a trade-off: They’re devouring more of the salmon prized by a unique but fragile population of endangered orcas."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/endangered-orcas-compete-with-seals-sea-lions-for-salmon/2017/11/20/981407ec-cdda-11e7-a87b-47f14b73162a_story.html?utm_term=.985d26953dfc

Cheers,
Nog

Ghengis Khandrey
11-20-2017, 01:23 PM
If we kill off the salmon the seal population will decline and the orcas can rebound!!

IronNoggin
11-21-2017, 12:33 PM
If we kill off the salmon the seal population will decline and the orcas can rebound!!

I suspect you won't be cracking many jokes when the Feds shut down chinook fishing to feed the Orcas... :roll:

Sheesh!
Nog

Ghengis Khandrey
11-21-2017, 01:20 PM
It was more of a tongue in cheek reference to the whole idea of increasing moose hunting pressure to save the caribou from wolves. If it works on land, why not the ocean?

In all seriousness club some seals.

elknut
11-21-2017, 01:23 PM
This revelation that you've just posted Nog is mind blowing ..Did DFO just figure this out..They haven't studied anything for so long it's amazing there hymen hasn't grown back...They must of got the info from sports fisherman..Money is the problem .....or should I say the lack of it to fund the ministry...Govts don't want to spend money in Canada be it Federal or Provincial on fish or wildlife ...They have given up on wild and replaced it with a new model that of net pen salmon ...No real problem for DFO other than squeeky wheels making waves..The tree hugger syndrome is the main holdup in controlling predators of our fish ..Funny they set rules for interaction distances to Killer Whales but allow toxic fish farms to go unchecked...The DFO management of our fisheries needs to have a Royal Commision on their lack of stewardship and maybe like the Cohen commision they can start to rebuild a proper Ministry..This needs to be enshrined in law that is enforcable...Currently DFO is given its mandate through Politics not stewardship ...That's my rant ...Dennis

walks with deer
11-21-2017, 08:36 PM
the whole thing is ****ed...
-stop netting.
-stop farming in ocean
-stop adding more dams and the ones you do have let some of that cool interior lake water out on years the fraser is to hot.
-kill 200,000 seals.
-rehabitate more spawning grounds..
-target predator fish espeacially invasives on spawning grounds.. during spawn and fry hatch..
-and hell every duck hunter shoot a couple limits of mergansers rather than mallards.

as a society we have become so protective we are destructive.

elknut
11-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Walks with Deer ...Good post ...Thumbs up...

Wild one
11-23-2017, 07:29 AM
the whole thing is ****ed...
-stop netting.
-stop farming in ocean
-stop adding more dams and the ones you do have let some of that cool interior lake water out on years the fraser is to hot.
-kill 200,000 seals.
-rehabitate more spawning grounds..
-target predator fish espeacially invasives on spawning grounds.. during spawn and fry hatch..
-and hell every duck hunter shoot a couple limits of mergansers rather than mallards.

as a society we have become so protective we are destructive.

That list overtime would be a big help but more is needed

a simple one that is need as well is educate fishermen not to wade through reds. Sure an anglers possession limit for salmon is small impact but start trampling spawning areas impact increases huge.

tubby
11-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Wild one you are out to lunch if you think that is a factor...

tigrr
11-23-2017, 06:49 PM
This revelation that you've just posted Nog is mind blowing ..Did DFO just figure this out..They haven't studied anything for so long it's amazing there hymen hasn't grown back...They must of got the info from sports fisherman..Money is the problem .....or should I say the lack of it to fund the ministry...Govts don't want to spend money in Canada be it Federal or Provincial on fish or wildlife ...They have given up on wild and replaced it with a new model that of net pen salmon ...No real problem for DFO other than squeeky wheels making waves..The tree hugger syndrome is the main holdup in controlling predators of our fish ..Funny they set rules for interaction distances to Killer Whales but allow toxic fish farms to go unchecked...The DFO management of our fisheries needs to have a Royal Commision on their lack of stewardship and maybe like the Cohen commision they can start to rebuild a proper Ministry..This needs to be enshrined in law that is enforcable...Currently DFO is given its mandate through Politics not stewardship ...That's my rant ...Dennis

Here, here where is the like button. Fish farms grrrr.

Wild one
11-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Wild one you are out to lunch if you think that is a factor...

Please educate me how stomping through reds has no impact

Bchunt
11-23-2017, 07:56 PM
If only DFO had managed the mountain pine beetle. They would have had that wiped out in no time.

tubby
11-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Please eduacate me how that is more important than wall to wall nets from Yale to the Fraser mouth.
After working with biologist and fishing/working 4 days a week on the tribs u speak of for the past 20 yrs I can tell you are salmon are facing way bigger problems than a few guys wading over redds!
What tribs do you think anglers wading over redds are a problem?

303savage
11-23-2017, 08:16 PM
couple limits of mergansers
Have you eaten mergansers, I tried about 50 years ago and thought they were disgusting.

604redneck
11-23-2017, 08:50 PM
I suspect you won't be cracking many jokes when the Feds shut down chinook fishing to feed the Orcas... :roll:

Sheesh!
Nog
It might be a good thing! If humans stop fishing them maybe the pop will actually rebound.

walks with deer
11-27-2017, 09:31 PM
i didnt say i would eat mergansers...

limit time
11-28-2017, 09:02 AM

Sheesh!
Nog
if it saves just one !
Also I think he was joking as in “kill the moose to save caribou” ?

albravo2
11-28-2017, 09:05 AM
I didn't reduce the population by even one this year.

If everyone fished like me the fish would be fine.

Wild one
11-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Please eduacate me how that is more important than wall to wall nets from Yale to the Fraser mouth.
After working with biologist and fishing/working 4 days a week on the tribs u speak of for the past 20 yrs I can tell you are salmon are facing way bigger problems than a few guys wading over redds!
What tribs do you think anglers wading over redds are a problem?

Its not not more important then the net issues if you looked back my comments was related to another post on this fisherman can do to help. Yes I have watched on the Vedder, stave, and other small systems in the lower mainland where guys don’t pay attention or care where they wade. It was not near as bad 15years ago and more than a few guys as well

I do agree there are way bigger issues but ignoring smaller issues because they are less impact is not wise. Especially when it comes to only a small change to how a fisherman goes about his day on the river is all that is needed to lower impact

Just because there are others who’s actions are higher impact does not mean one should ignore their own impact

Really if a guy can’t take some consideration on where they wade they are just being lazy and a slob

But why think about ones personal impact when you can point fingers at others right

Spy
11-28-2017, 10:14 AM
You can't fish out the oceans with two hooks per line! But you can decimate a whole run of fish with nets... All nets must go hook and line only....

Wild one
11-28-2017, 10:59 AM
You can't fish out the oceans with two hooks per line! But you can decimate a whole run of fish with nets... All nets must go hook and line only....

Destroy a water shed where they spawn nothing returns

salmon issues are a mix of factors and nets are just a part of them

Fred1
11-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Its the whole picture.... from wading to the impacts we have on our rivers. Not enough fish to spawn and not enough spawn to make enough fish... Chicken - egg... The impacts have become cumulative across the board. Fortunately some of these things we can change quickly - like nets, adding more $$ to restoration and hatchery's. We are a retroactive society... its sad that we have to bring things to the edge of disaster before we realize we better manage it better! Imagine what we could save as society if we put $ into conservation before we had to conserve something? But then again our gov'ts seem to make decisions based on heart strings and pressures from the snowflakes (and industry for that matter) instead of what out science and history have shown us...

Spy
11-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Destroy a water shed where they spawn nothing returns

salmon issues are a mix of factors and nets are just a part of them
Totally agree its all greed and it needs to change....

Chuck
12-01-2017, 02:31 PM

I've always wondered about that. Especially those bottom draggers.

deltawaterfowler
12-01-2017, 09:55 PM
The state of Florida banned gill netting 20 years ago. They figured it out decades. Why can't we?

303savage
12-30-2017, 08:26 PM
If only DFO had managed the mountain pine beetle. They would have had that wiped out in no time.

Do you mean the pine beetle or the pine trees?

elknut
12-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Wild one ..Most fishing is done below spawning grounds..That's why there is a fishing boundary...Dennis

303savage
01-08-2018, 04:39 AM
this is intresting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHZ8Vi7tsc

Wild one
01-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Wild one ..Most fishing is done below spawning grounds..That's why there is a fishing boundary...Dennis

My comment was not directed at comecial fishing damage to spawning areas is not caused by this industry