PDA

View Full Version : cargo trailer or toy hauler for hunting.?

buck400
11-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Hi cheers everyone. Looking at either getting a cargo trailer and getting it camperised or toy houler. which would be more durable on logging roads up north or even around here seeking opinions and ideas your knowledge on either one would be great.and which would you go for What I'm looking at is 20 or 22 ft for hauling two quads, gear, game as well as comfortable Etc. Cheers everyone

Jagermeister
11-18-2017, 11:30 PM
Had both, toyhauler because of the amenities.

Drillbit
11-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Do you run a gas or diesel?

If diesel I'd say toyhauler
If gas I'd say enclosed.

It basically all comes down to the toilet. Either you haul the extra weight of a toyhauler for the water & tanks, or you stay simple in an enclosed and camp and use a thunderBox.

If there is a woman involved get a diesel and a toyhauler.

allan
11-19-2017, 07:47 AM
I have this model with an 8" lift and double fold down bunks in the back of it. It's a 24 long and weighs 8500 lbs dry. I can put a stock suzuki samurai in The back of it. I believe it's the best hunting / camping trailer combo For
my money! :)
http://www.utraderv.com/UT1361AD_2004-roadmaster-campmaster.html

Farmer001
11-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Have gone thru this thought process a few times and here is my opinion. If you intend to use for family camping, get a toyhauler with amenities(makes momma way happier). After Sept heat will become a issue so gen will be required for trailer heater or electric. I have a 4 season camper and a enclosed with heat and fold up bunks. Campers good till end of Sept-mid Oct. Enclosed with heat till Dec. Put a rutted up buck in camper and wife put a end to that so the enclosed. But I sure like Allan's setup.

browningboy
11-19-2017, 09:19 AM
You can put a washroom easily enough in an enclosed and also put a wood heater in there too, you can do whatever really, a toyhauler is okay as well, and will be more comfortable

Buck
11-19-2017, 11:54 AM
I'd get a Work&Play and throw a small woodstove in it.

dblung
11-19-2017, 03:21 PM
One thing to be aware of is some of the Work & Play models are not insulated.

buck400
11-19-2017, 03:32 PM
that is a real nice unit looks a little low for the areas I go into I be concerned of the overall length

buck400
11-19-2017, 03:46 PM
I have a gas engine EcoBoost I don't need the bathroom part but work and play converted and camperised professionally I'm thinking. But the toy haulers you get the bathroom seems to be a little lighter then a cargo trailer and you can get some reasonable my question would be are they warm enough in the late-season hunting and are the body's durable for the logging roads

Farmer001
11-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Holiday trailers usually have wood frames unless are Arctic Fox. Cargo trailers are steel framed. If you buy a new insulated enclosed with windows around 16-18 ft with additional height(might want a sxs). Add awning and you will be around 10g's. Eco boost should pull that no problem.

buck400
11-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Holiday trailers usually have wood frames unless are Arctic Fox. Cargo trailers are steel framed. If you buy a new insulated enclosed with windows around 16-18 ft with additional height(might want a sxs). Add awning and you will be around 10g's. Eco boost should pull that no problem.

Good to know
Found a toy hauler 22ft with what I want in it an lighter 5400pds which I think is good 3000pds for cargo fora 1/2tone max haul Eco boost

Downwindtracker2
11-22-2017, 11:22 PM
Not wood frames, but wood framing, certainly the stick and tin. The pricier holiday trailers are now a bonded laminate. Fiberglass, Styrofoam and welded aluminum studs. When done right ,they are lighter ,stronger, and warmer. The whole side is becomes structural . Pretty slick. It's important if you are taking them off highway to invest a high quality unit, like one of Nash's brands, Northwood or Outdoor RV. They go by various model names,, Desert Fox, Nash, Creekside, Artic Fox etc. I wouldn't trust the construction of the cheaper brands. This technology is new and the RV industry is notorious for cheaping out. The stick and tin are built like your house with a steel frame under it. Some of your enclosed use this building method, too. The stick and tins are much easier to repair , cheaper and chiller.

RambleOn
11-23-2017, 09:53 AM
I have a work and play. Awesome trailer built super tough as far as holiday trailers go. With tough comes heavy especially with all of the holiday trailer amenities. For hunting I have been running a converted 14ft cargo trailer. Heated and insulated. Easy to pull and you have no problem beating it into the Bush. Steel frame and steel studs with dual axles. Been about 10 yrs with that one and learned a lot. Just ordered an upgrade to a full width deck over axle lifted insulated custom 22ft. My advise would be to buy a tough holiday trailer and a 1 ton and stay close to nice roads or custom order exactly what you want for a cargo trailer. Build it tough with extra studs and roof braces windows vents insulation larger wheels and tires more lights in and out and an awening. Adding these from the factory is cheaper than getting it added after or doing it yourself. Add a wood stove, webasto type heater or dickenson boat heater and your good to go.

Outside of that If I was buying a holiday trailer to hunt with I would go outdoors rv.

Richardj
11-23-2017, 11:32 AM
I run a four season camper and pull a 12 x 6 cargo trailer for hunting, fishing, and camping Works great. Here is a cargo trailer conversion site you might find interesting. Extra helpful people on the site. Good luck with your decision.

.http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=c954d1ca4e735b66a4d75a099e7edb75

buck400
11-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the information comes in handy I like cargo trailers for durability. what I like about toy hauler trailers is for the convenience of everything but I feel they are bit weak in supension an load capability . Can you beef this area up to increase load with out wrecking the frame?

Thanks everyone

Farmer001
11-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Here is your enclosed with wheels.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/tricities-pitt-maple/unimog-1300l-with-camper/1314525323

okas
11-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Here is your enclosed with wheels.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/tricities-pitt-maple/unimog-1300l-with-camper/1314525323 they get suck easy and are slow getting there a good 1 ton 4x4 and camper is way ahead of that thing .. how would i know had one

okas
11-24-2017, 08:02 PM
i am tired of all this stuff as too much upkeep $$ went on a deer hunt tent . landcruiser and fire easy buck and doe in the bag and very few drive by idiots :-)as in there deep

New Bow Hunter
11-24-2017, 08:32 PM
We have a 27' toy hauler. We can it the Yamaha Rhino SXS inside. We tow it with a 1 ton dually. Last year I put a flat deck on the truck, so we have the option of day trips by putting the SXS on the truck. Also for longer trips with the SXS on the truck it makes for more living space.
When we purchased the trailer I had them flip the axles for more height and added special shock absorbers. It has freshwater tank, black and grey water tanks as well as a fuel tank with an electric fuel pump for the SXS. It has the potential to sleep eight people.

Downwindtracker2
11-24-2017, 09:57 PM
All RVs leak, if they leak, they rot. Even Airstreams. Within two years of the purchase of a new RV you should reseal. By the time you have to reseal, it's too late,it's a rebuild. The culprit is butyl tape. For the manufacturer it's easy to apply, quick, inexpensive and does a neat job. And by the time the payments finish, the RV has rotted so you need to buy a new one. Perfect for a manufacturer. It only takes two weekends of your missus and your time to pull the trim ,clean, and apply Siskaflex or Proflex. Then you are good for 15 or 20 years.

Squamch
11-25-2017, 06:49 AM
All RVs leak, if they leak, they rot. Even Airstreams. Within two years of the purchase of a new RV you should reseal. By the time you have to reseal, it's too late,it's a rebuild. The culprit is butyl tape. For the manufacturer it's easy to apply, quick, inexpensive and does a neat job. And by the time the payments finish, the RV has rotted so you need to buy a new one. Perfect for a manufacturer. It only takes two weekends of your missus and your time to pull the trim ,clean, and apply Siskaflex or Proflex. Then you are good for 15 or 20 years.

Just about to address this with a buddy's trailer. He's a window shop production manager so at least he'll have some good stuff to do the reseal with. We're going to have to cut out parts of the walls and floor, forced by a stick that poked through it last week.

pappy
11-25-2017, 09:04 AM
I have a 21 foot half tone bumper pull toy hauler. It fits the quad, my dirt bike and my kids dirt bike. I tow it with a 3/4 ton diesel and most of the time the quad is on the sled deck. My wife likes that it’s not a cargo trailer, I like that it’s not a 35 foot trailer to pull in the bush. It’s easy to turn sharp and easier to find a level spot as it’s short. Any camping longer than a week then water starts to be an issue because of the smaller tanks. I watched a few people get stuck in the ruts with long trailers, then once they are out they have to walk back and get their stabilizer jacks. My trailer can sleep up to 6 but I think that would be crowded. If I were to do it again I would have got the same trailer just a little longer for the bigger water tanks.

Hanny
11-26-2017, 05:50 PM
I've had both up til last year and all our trips we took the cargo trailer. Not worth beating up your R/V when you camping with a bunch of the boys. Keep the R/V when your camping with the family. I find the cargo trailer more durable.

albravo2
11-26-2017, 06:11 PM
I have a 20' enclosed trailer and would go that way again. Sometimes I use it as a camper with fold out cots and mosquito netting, other times I bring the wall tent and use the trailer for dry storage and as cook shack. Instead of a Yeti cooler we bought a generator and a chest deep freeze from Costco. Also bought one of those heavy duty three burner gas ranges from Costco. Very nice kitchen.

The trailer is pretty tough.

I didn't do a late season hunt this year but I wouldn't hesitate to insulate it and stick a diesel heater in there. Plus, you can get a LOT of sh*t into a 20' enclosed trailer.