PDA

View Full Version : Jack Fish

wetcoasthunter
08-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I will be up North in a few weeks and would like to try my hand at fishing for Jackfish. What are the lures/methods used for these guys. Any info would be a great help, thanks guys.

Ian F.
08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
red and white dardevils hands down the best..

Fish weed edges, they are pretty easy to catch..

Ian

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, not sure I've seen a jack fish before...
If it works out, post a pic if ya don't mind. Good luck.

Schmaus
08-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Hmmm, not sure I've seen a jack fish before...

its another name for a pike

johnes50
08-10-2007, 01:39 PM
They'll bite just about any lure that gets close to them. They're the Mike Tyson of fish.:grin: John

bigwhiteys
08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
How far north? I like to use big mepps spinners or rooster tails. Literally anything will work on pike when they are hungry. The lake I fish you spot the pike around the weeds and then just throw your hook at them.... BAM - Fish On!

Make sure you use a steel leader.

Carl

Buchaneer
08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Jack fish will bite on pretty much anything! Grubs, mice, leeches, lures -almost all types, spinners etc. All the lures in your tacke box that you have never used will probably work on Jackfish. Just be careful of their teeth. (Of course because of their sharp teeth it is good to use steel leaders.) My fingers bare the scares of one a few year back that got me - I should have made sure it was dead before I poked it with my filet knife! My stupidity.

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Love to take one on a fly rod. I'd imagine they dont make a steel leader fine enough to cast properly (isnt that what they use for the big boys?) but even trolling a presentation behind, just to play one on the fly rod would be a thrill !

Ian F.
08-10-2007, 07:10 PM
A pork rind strip added to your mepps will double the catch! I grew up chasing muskie and snotrockets (pike) I'm even old enough to remember them as trash fish, americans changed that.. We used to get a limit of eaters (translate to pickerel, aka walleye) and then go fish pike the rest of the day, they are a fun fish, but that slime!

I forgot to mention the leaders, but others have A MUST! or you will loose lots of gear. Another lure I just remembered is rattle traps, or rattlin spots by cotton cordel, had fish come across the bay to smack them!

Ian

GoatGuy
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Take the 7 or 8 weight, 20 lbs test leaders and streamers/poppers what have you that's big and gaudy!

Can be a little tough to turn on the 7 weight with that size of fly but talk about fun.

Weedy spots, shoals, take the polarized glasses - watching a 10+ lber put the chase on your fly is a blast.

mapguy
08-11-2007, 08:14 AM
drill hole both ends of a tablespoon attach a hook pike will follow
hehehehehe