PDA

View Full Version : sheep hunt...

srupp
08-09-2007, 01:44 PM
well Im home...I busted my considerable ass hiking in off the Alaska highway solo....a VERY GOOD GUY loaned me his personal sat phone...I made it ALL the way the first day..ONLY day of sun w/o rain...and will post two photos..
I seen lots of ewes..40 some may have been repeat sightings..they were constantly moving...

I was so tired by the end of day one I just asumed the "FECAL POSITION" I was THAT pooped..:mrgreen: and my bear defense that nite was "offer no resistence..."lol...embrace the light...
I seen 9 rams one might have been legal he was with a much smaller ram..so I climbed another 3 hours and spent a few days on the top with oatmeal pouches and sleeping in my rain gear..but the clouds and rain were relentless..and I never got a close look..he might have been legal??

From late day one till I left the mountain tops were only clear for 5% of the time..maybe 10%..I seen sheep..rams and ewes on the valley floor all the way to the very top... the other valley was already being hunted by guys on horses...so I only briefly glassed it...concentrating on being on top..

I still have so much to learn about stones sheep..they are SO much different than Cali...SO MUCH so..and all my efforst are by trial and error..ha ha LOTS of errors...but im seeing some sheep and DID NOT know stone sheep of different class animals will hang together...

Seeing the success so far makes coming home without a ram even more humbling.....but I DID hike a considerable distance (thanks Advil) and did far more than I thought I was capable of...and I did see close to 50 sheep but just not the big ones I was looking for..I carried everything a long way..climbed and spotted everything but the class animal I needed to see...obviously I still need LOTS more study and guidence..
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sheep19.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sheep7.jpg

The binos..8x43 exellent but useless for long distance sheep spotting however the spotting scope was exellent I could clearly see ewes eyes at 3.4 KILOMETERS..

I seen considerable caribou..one young calf snuck up on me and gave me a good scare..lol...and I saw a MONSTER boo..380??? asleep on his feet..sound familiar Andy??

Derek_Erickson
08-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Awesome looking territory sounds like you had a good time I'm jealous

270WIN
08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
WOW great read. how was it going solo. you may not have got your sheep but as you said you lurned alot and that key.

WoodOx
08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
nice pics, too bad you didnt connect

prior to your attempt next year (and I can hardly give advice as I am more a newb than you) try reading tony russ' and jack o connors books, they will help.

newhunterette
08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
wow Steven - let me say I am so proud of you - you endured horrible set backs for your trip but I am so glad you decided to go on and enjoy an wonderful experience with scenery, and learning and gainful knowledge and to come back to us in one piece to tell us a fantastic story - the pictures are awesome - welcome home

Ali

Jelvis
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Nice scenery anyway? You didn't say how powerful your spotting scope was. One question are you in pretty fair shape? I mean do you have a rigorous year round training routine. That is if you don't mind me asking? Jelly

srupp
08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
spotting scope is Leupold HD 12-40x 65 ....

Shape?? lol Im extremely overweight...have one knee due for replacement and the other leg I suffered a"compartment syndrome accident" to this springs grizzly hunt and is still somewhat numb..Im old and overweight..

I did buy and use a home gym for several months and have a treadmill but again couldnt use it cuz of my c/s accident..

One member here described me perfectly on "who " shouldnt be a sheep hunter..but I do have desire and heart I WANT a stone sheep...its NOT a sprint but more a marathon...and more than once on the trip in and out i cursed all the beer I had drunk..but wished I had one right then....

Agaucher..read ALL O'conners books(hence my .270)

Thanks Ali..for a change this year nothing broke, wrecked, or went wrong...enjoyed all my time there...seen some great country just no big rams..

Steven

Orangethunder
08-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you had quite an adventure. More pics would be sweet. Glad to hear you made it in and out in one piece.

Jelvis
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I always thought that sheep hunters were extra ordinary but I see by your honesty there just like moose or deer hunters. Thanks for your honesty cuz now I know for real. No ones super human after all, thanks Steven your an inspiration.

tufferthandug
08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Good job on heading in and getting out solo. I'm going on a solo muley/LEHmoose jaunt this September. The peace and quiet will be nice.

Nice scenery.

08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Beautiful country...congrats on your hunt, looking at your pics, l'm kicking my ass l didn't go again this year......

Stone Sheep Steve
08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Too bad the weather crapped on you Steven:icon_frow! It's been down right hideous for most of thelast 10 days for the early ram chasers.

Beautiful pics and way to go for making a good effort, especially solo8)! Not many people would be up to a solo hunt and my guess is that almost no one would go solo with a couple of "bent wheels" under them!!

Stick with it and you will get your Stone's!!

BTW-What happenned to Tim??

SSS

srupp
08-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks ..Jelvis..I DO NOT RECOMEND solo hunts way back in however my hunting partner bailed after the last fiasco with the pilot..so I kinda was forced solo???SSS I dont know why Tim bailed....and some nites the wind RIPPED through there at incredible gusts...my Cabelas raingear was marked "extreme wet weather " and it held up perfectly..hideous described it..I slept on the top of the mountain in just raingear..the rain was bad it was the clouds/fog that prevented proper viewing..spotting...

Jelvis i am NOT in the same league as say Stonechaser..SSS or BCRAMS etc etc etc..they are fit and knowlegable individuals that have dozens of stone sheep places they know..and they have the physical fitness to blast in and hunt hard..it just takes me longer.however that being said this hike was a long one and brutal for me...but i just persisted..and STILL got skunked for harvesting a ram...

Steven

kutenay
08-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I am very impressed, solo hike/hunting ain't easy and I am OLDER than you....not as skinny as I could be, either! :)

But, this is the hunting that I enjoy, I often do not shoot a buck or bull, but, I always come home happy and wanting to go again.

That is lovely country, I will be up there this month sometime and hope to maybe get a Moose while working on a friend's mining properties. Good on ya, keep it up!!!

harbinger
08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
8)nice work cowboying up and trying to get her done. To bad your partner didn't do the same, oh well. Keep at that gym and maybe you will still have five to ten sheep hunts left in ya! I know someone who lost 30 pounds by just walking every other day and reeling in the portions! Beauty pics!

hunter1947
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not a sheep hunter ,but i give you credit for what you did ,you sound like i did 38 years ago when i first started to elk hunt. But as you know only time will educate you for what you will learn and each year you will get better then the other year ,you choc it all up in the old head. Great scenery ,thanks for sharing. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Koot
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I'll second Kutenays words.Impressed.I'm not sure that I would do a solo up there.Well I would do it but I'm pretty sure I would not sleep a wink.:mrgreen:
good pics as well.hopefully you will conect next year!
Koot

srupp
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I WISH desperatly I knew 1% of what bcrams or Stonechaser or Jim or SSS knows about stone sheep...I know I can go right now and find BIG cali rams..or several places to find massive grizzly... or pretty respectable moose...but not just where but how to hunt stones...

Koot the sleeping was the easy part...but I DID glass from first light to 10 PM..when too dark...then sleep came easy...

steven

Will
08-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Great on you for gettin out there Steve 8)
One cannot bag a Stone from the couch.......or so I'm learning:-?

Perhaps one day I'll have the gumption to go Sheeping !

Nice Pics !

Krico
08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Good on ya for making a go of it. Don't get discouraged. Some guys get lucky and down a ram on their first attempt. Others chase them for years without even finding a legal one. If it was easy then everyone would do it.

livingston
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Looks like a memorable hunt.To bad about the weather, but it looks like it cleared to take pictures:).

A bad day hunting is better than a good day working!!

moosinaround
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Man the senery is worth the hike in. I dont just go into the woods to kill critters. Sometimes I go to challenge myself, just to see if I can do it. The personal satisfaction of saying to yourself you did it is worth just as much as a bagged critter. We need to take advantage of our oppourtunities to get out and enjoy the beautiful province we call BC. So I'm sure the absence of the sheep was disheartening, but man you did it and I'm jealous of your gritt and determination. Thanks for the story and it has pumped me up a little more. Moosin

ohno
08-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Beauty scenery.

I'm glad to see you turned all the adversity into a triumph. Next time you will hammer the hog you are looking for (or maybe the time after that....)

Way to go!

tuchodi
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Great Pictures and Story. Reminds me of when I was younger and would trec off by myself, the memories last for ever and just become clearer when someone like you gets out there and enjoyes himself no matter what the weather or hunting is like and then shares them to stur up old great memories. Thank you very much!!!!!!

pmj
08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Srupp,
Great hunt! Thanks for the nice pictures. Good on you to go all out in really tough conditions. Sleeping in rain gear and eating oatmeal, solo:shock: and over coming all kinds of adversity to even be there...you are tough as nails. I look forward to hearing about your next hunt.

alremkin
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Srupp, no reason to feel bad about your trip. If it was easy to be Bwana everyone would be Bwana. You went out under adverse conditions on your own, likely most people would think you somewhat crazy to have done that. But to the hunting cognoscenti, you have show the determination, dedication, and preseverance required to become Bwana. A few lucky breaks along with your continued efforts and you'll come back with stories like the Kitimatkiller and others. To me it seems you are on the path to Bwanadom a few lucky breaks like healing your injuries so you can be in better shape next year and maybe meeting another aspiring Bwana or two will make a lot of difference. It is the spirit of the hunt that makes a difference and I believe if you continue in this vane you'll have success. It was a good read and great pics.8)

calvin L
08-10-2007, 07:03 AM
SURPP congrats on the hunt you sucked up the B/S and had a great time as it seems . I feel your pain as to the info or lack of for sheep . I too am there . I have been on a couple sheep hunts (one i was just to dumb to pull the pin:confused:) The other we did not want to blow off a river boat even after spotting a legal ram . These 2 hunt where a HUGE kick in the a$$ to read more books and buy lots of booze at the wild sheep fundraiser for info but it does take ALOT OF BOOZE. I have been lucky on elk & moose hunts to always see sheep I just need to kill one . It will be rockies for me to chase this year . Good luck to everyone and be safe

calvin L

Shade Tree
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
One member here described me perfectly on "who " shouldnt be a sheep hunter..but I do have desire and heart I WANT a stone sheep...its NOT a sprint but more a marathon...and more than once on the trip in and out i cursed all the beer I had drunk..but wished I had one right then....

I believe most sheep hunters run on pure desire and that is the difference.
Also, the solo thing, while it sometimes can be lonely is an awsome experience as well.

BCrams
08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Fantastic sheep hunt Steve ! Just because you don't get a ram doesn't mean it wasn't successful. Gorgeous country !

srupp
08-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks bcrams..and yes you are right....but one day it would be nice to harvest one..lol

Steven

willy442
08-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Srupp; Glad to see you went on your sheep hunt and saw Rams. To bad you never connected, but better to come home empty handed than to shoot one of the young breeding 6 or 7 year olds that are abundant on that mountain. Better luck next time.

Wild Will
08-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Great pictures. The top one would make Wayne's Weather Window on BCTV for sure. Sheep hunting can be frustrating and hit or miss with the opportunities. You have a good foundation for a successful hunt in the future.

srupp
08-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks 442..I certainly busted my ass on that one..kinda felt good WHILE I was challenging myself..last couple days the old bod is complaining lol..Thanks there WILL be a next time.... intersting even the others in there on horses did not have a ram so far..

The one I went after I saw him from below and he looked like he went full curl but again I couldnt be sure till closer and on the same level to make the call..but ya..he would be no monster "just legal"

Wild..when I see all the others being successful its humbling coming home w/o a ram but makes me even more determained..I did give er my best..

Steven

GrizGuy92
08-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Looks like GREAT scenery Steven!! I'd love to do that but I'm still too young yet.

Heard stories about sheep hunting and how hard it gets. Good job on doing it by yourself!!! Too bad you didn't get a ram though man.

Are you glad you went on this hunt? Even if you didn't get a ram and went alone?

Nice to see you back.

And ohya, how is your leg doing?

James.

srupp
08-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks grizz..leg is shit..thanks for asking..lol

Yes Im very glad I went on this hunt..I do know hunting, teach outdoor survival, trauma paramedic x 32 years...so going solo was only tough trying to carry enough to not be miserable..I needed to lose the weight I did..and lots more..

I dont really like hunting alone I like people and find it more enjoyable being with someone else...and its much safer..

James it was a blast..unfortunatley weather didnt cooperate but hey thats life...I did see sheep I know the object is to harvest one and I will..just not that trip.

I admire the knowlege some here have 442, stonechaser, bcrams, Jim etc etc etc..if it were easy or fast everyone would have a stoner on the wall..I learned so much this trip compounding what I have learned in the past.It took me several decades to learn cali sheep and grizzly and am confident in that but still have alot to learn but Im getting closer..if I had my choice Id go with apartner..

Steven

WoodOx
08-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I know at least two people on the forum here that are hard hunters and want stone partners as well!

Pm me if your really interested...