PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Monarch HG binos ... anyone have them locally?

twoSevenO
11-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at new binos for next year ($1000 USD budget). Been using my Vortex Diamondbacks since 2008 and it's time they get upgraded considering i spend more time looking through my binoculars than any other optic i own. These new Monarch HG have made the short list. They seem quite good in specs, with one of the widest field of views out there (362 feet @ 1000 yards), but not sure who carries them locally to take a look through. Almost no YouTube reviews on them either yet as they're fairly new.

(Thinking Nikon Monarch HG, Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD or Minox HG)

https://cameralandsandton.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/8x42mmMonarchHG2.png

firebird
11-19-2017, 06:54 AM
Can't help you with the Monarchs but I looked between the ZEISS and Leicas. And went with the Conquest HD. The Trinovid were heavier and not clear right out to the edges. I would consider the focus on the Conquests to be fairly 'free wheeling' and fine. And I like the soft rubber eye cups.

Hope that helps some.

Sharpish
11-19-2017, 11:02 AM
I love my conquests. Awesome glass and they have taken a beating.

twoSevenO
11-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Can't help you with the Monarchs but I looked between the ZEISS and Leicas. And went with the Conquest HD. The Trinovid were heavier and not clear right out to the edges. I would consider the focus on the Conquests to be fairly 'free wheeling' and fine. And I like the soft rubber eye cups.

Hope that helps some.

The trinovids are only 1oz heavier. Based on specs their real downside is the narrower field of view compared to Zeiss (339 feet compared to 345), as well as the fact they're made in Portugal not Germany.

Edge sharpness is definitely something that's quite important .... that's why i want to find who carries the Monarch HG to take a look. With their "Field Flattner" lenses, they're supposed to be "kind of like" the Swaro EL in terms of edges. But, that's all based on internet info. I've yet to take a look through them.

firebird
11-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Does Omer/plain sight carry Nikon or minox? He will send and bill you for both pairs for comparison but re fund you for the pair you send back.....as long as they are still BNIB. That's what he did for me with the leicas and zeiss

300rum700
11-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Buy a pair of used premium glass for that much money. I wouldnt pay $1000 Nikon anything.

IslandWanderer
11-23-2017, 10:49 PM
$1000 usd? You can get 10x42 razors for that. Great glass and warranty.

twoSevenO
11-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Buy a pair of used premium glass for that much money. I wouldnt pay $1000 Nikon anything.

Find me a pair. Nobody sells used Swarovski binos for $1000 .... unless they're a 30 year old model. I've looked.

Second, Nikon makes binoculars that sell for over $2500 in their Premier line.

Not sure why you'd discredit Nikon .... they're one of the worlds leading manufacturers for all kinds of photography lenses and optics. They know how to make good glass.

IslandWanderer
11-23-2017, 10:54 PM
I’ve read that the monarchs are excellent bang for the buck.

REMINGTON JIM
11-23-2017, 11:04 PM
I have a NIKON 5-20 Scope and it has GREAT Clearity and Functions Excellent ! RJ

300rum700
11-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Find me a pair. Nobody sells used Swarovski binos for $1000 .... unless they're a 30 year old model. I've looked.

Not sure why you'd discredit Nikon .... they're one of the worlds leading manufacturers for all kinds of photography lenses and optics. They know how to make good glass.

You can't find a pair of used slc's or ultravids for $1000 USD? For my money $1000 is too much for Nikon anything, I've got two pair of monarchs sitting in my safe as we speak, they're great. Both have been replaced on warranty as well. Look on ebay, rokslide and archery talk for used optics, you'll find what you want if you wait.

twoSevenO
11-24-2017, 12:01 AM
You can't find a pair of used slc's or ultravids for $1000 USD? For my money $1000 is too much for Nikon anything, I've got two pair of monarchs sitting in my safe as we speak, they're great. Both have been replaced on warranty as well. Look on ebay, rokslide and archery talk for used optics, you'll find what you want if you wait.

again .... you're discrediting something solely based on brand. And that's just plain wrong. This isn't a $1000 Tasco binocular that would raise eyebrows. Nikon is a respectable brand. I'd trust their optics more than I would Vortex.

Having said all that .... still have yet to look through the Monarch HG model. But i bet its fairly priced and on par with Zeiss Conquest HD in quality. I'll confirm once i have had a chance to compare.

todbartell
11-24-2017, 12:11 AM
In 2005 I bought Monarch 10x42's, eye cup broke and in 2011 I tried to get them fixed but Nikon said no warranty.

300rum700
11-24-2017, 12:35 AM
again .... you're discrediting something solely based on brand. And that's just plain wrong. This isn't a $1000 Tasco binocular that would raise eyebrows. Nikon is a respectable brand. I'd trust their optics more than I would Vortex.

Having said all that .... still have yet to look through the Monarch HG model. But i bet its fairly priced and on par with Zeiss Conquest HD in quality. I'll confirm once i have had a chance to compare.

Id buy $1000 Tascos over any Nikon.

twoSevenO
11-24-2017, 01:02 AM
Id buy $1000 Tascos over any Nikon.

ok. I have a pair of Tascos you can have for $1000.

twoSevenO
11-24-2017, 01:05 AM
In 2005 I bought Monarch 10x42's, eye cup broke and in 2011 I tried to get them fixed but Nikon said no warranty.

They now have a no fault warranty like Vortex does. Though, i think it's 25 years not "life" .... But, I've heard some horror stories about Zeiss warranty as well. I think Vortex has set quite the precedent with its warranty that others have had no choice but to reluctantly adopt ... somewhat. I don't think any of them out there still have a warranty as good as Vortex.

firebird
11-24-2017, 09:05 AM
They now have a no fault warranty like Vortex does. Though, i think it's 25 years not "life" .... But, I've heard some horror stories about Zeiss warranty as well. I think Vortex has set quite the precedent with its warranty that others have had no choice but to reluctantly adopt ... somewhat. I don't think any of them out there still have a warranty as good as Vortex.

ZEISS is 5 year no fault, they are slow.

Could get get a pair of Swaro CL 10x30 for $1k new on sale

twoSevenO
01-22-2018, 12:12 AM
Sooooooo .... i finally had a chance to look through these Nikon HG binos. Thought i'd give an update.

They are actually quite good. Surprisingly good!

I compared them to Zeiss Conquest HD, as they are the closest competitor in price, as well as the binos that I am also considering. I have to say that the Nikons are noticeably better. The color contrast was higher so things seemed to "pop" a bit more. But in edge clarity was no comparison. The Nikons remained quite clear right to the edges whereas the Conquests definitely did not. At the end of the day, I simply enjoyed looking through the Nikons more. Their objective lens covers had a much better design as well.

Between Leica trinovid HD, Zeiss Conquest HD and these Nikons HGs, i considered weight, field of view and obviously the optic quality, and from my (unprofessional) point of view I would have to rank them:
1. Nikon Monarch HG
2. Zeiss Conquest HD
3. Leica Trinovid HD

The nikons use their "field flattner" lenses on these binos, which is similar to looking through the Swarovski ELs (Not quite as pronounced). I know some have mentioned they didn't like it and could not get used to it on the ELs, so do note that looking through these will have a simlar feeling (but, again, not quite as pronounced).

I contacted a Nikon rep for Canada (since no one seems to carry them yet) and he shipped a set to Markarian Fine Optics in Vancouver for me to take a look. Should still have them in if you wanted to check them out.

Price ..... expect around $1400 including taxes. (same price between 10x42 and 8x42), so a tad less than the Conquest HD is going for at Precision Optics, for example.

Laxputs
07-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Think I'm going to buy the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42. Most reviews out there pick them over more expensive competitors. Seem to be highly rated. Anyone been using them?

DeepJeep
07-03-2019, 09:05 AM

Nikon makes great glass. I wouldn't be worried.

g2mike
07-04-2019, 03:54 PM
I've spent since last season trying to decide on new glass and took hard looks at Maven B2, Conquest HDs, Meostars, and even Razors. Settled on the Nikons. I liked the form factor and brand quality. Wasn't able to compare all the glass in real life conditions but I would imagine all are close enough for most of us. Wasn't a fan of the shape of the Meostars and the Mavens were too big.

They seem to be dropping out of stock and getting back ordered now tho. If you shop around there are places selling them for in the $1250cdn range, instead of the $1449 they usually sit at.

Mine will finally be here tuesday.

Laxputs
07-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Right on. I have used the Monarch's for the past decade and think they're great, and this is a big upgrade to the HG. Also like their lenses in optometry. Pulled the trigger, Visions.ca has a sale for 1198$.

IslandWanderer
07-05-2019, 08:17 AM
My son has the Monarch 5 and their great. So the HG's must be unreal.

David
07-05-2019, 03:19 PM
London Drugs carries them...

If you ask the salesperson nicely they can look up the pricing history on their computer and tell you if they've gone on sale in the past, for how much, and they might be willing to give you that rate.

https://www.londondrugs.com/search/?q=Nikon+Monarch&lang=default

My only issue would be I'm not a fan of 10X - especially if you've been huffing after a hike. 8X is much more forgiving for unsteady hands.

Me.

Edit:
Just noticed you already bought them... enjoy!

g2mike
07-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Visions lists them. But I placed an order in the spring and finally got tired of waiting last week and called and they said they were back ordered so I canceled and ordered from thecamerastore in Calgary for $1250 and they shipped them out am hour after I ordered. Worked out actually cheaper than visions in the end because of saving the PST.

Laxputs
07-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Thanks for that.

twoSevenO
07-06-2019, 08:02 PM
I've been using them for almost a year. They work wonderfully for me. They are bright and the wide field of view is awesome.

The only complaint I have is that the strap attachment points are powder coated magnesium and since my bino case has key ring style attachments the metal on metal is wearing the finish off. I think a rubber coating all over would have been better.

Optically, I'm still convinced they were the best in the price range and I have no complaints on glass.

Laxputs
07-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Right on. We'll see how long Visions takes.

g2mike
07-11-2019, 03:08 PM
too the binos out for a quick spin the other nite. im impressed. super crisp and bright edge to edge which will be fantastic when glassing off a tripod. the FOV huge, pretty close to 8x.

twoSevenO
07-11-2019, 10:58 PM
too the binos out for a quick spin the other nite. im impressed. super crisp and bright edge to edge which will be fantastic when glassing off a tripod. the FOV huge, pretty close to 8x.

Yup! Field of view is noticeably wider than my 10x vortex binos I used for 10 years.

oddsix
10-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Any more updates on these, anyone else have them? Do they clearly beat out a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 HD's? In the market for a new pair of binos for the wife.
I see Visions as them on for $1250. Good price? Thanks folks

whitegoat
10-16-2020, 01:29 PM
I've got a pair, my buddy has Razors and we did a side by side and he agreed the HG's were a fraction clearer. The big thing for me is the FOV and how light they are. The bad thing is eye strain. I had read other reviews stating this as well. But bang for your buck I don't think you can beat them.