PDA

View Full Version : Hunting ducks on farmland

ajr5406
11-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Ok, ive never hunted waterfowl, but I have the opportunity to hunt some private farmland in the Fraser Valley. Apart from the usual licence requirements etc, any tips on how to get started?

I have a shotgun and licences etc, so just looking for some basic tactics.

Thanks.

PKernohan
11-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Drive to farm. Park and walk out into the field. Maybe set up a flapper or 2. Sit in the ditch and wait.

At least this is how we've done it the few times I've been out.

Wild one
11-15-2017, 04:30 PM
If your on a farm the land and feed regularly easy. Just take a morning and watch where they land come first light. Set out a few decoys and a mojo light calling your good

If your hunting land they mostly just fly over more decoys and better calling is needed. Hunting traffic is tougher but can still be good if you can get the birds attention

walks with deer
11-15-2017, 04:34 PM
attention to your blind is key...

jburgundy
11-15-2017, 04:57 PM
I hunt farmland in delta a few times a week, and have found that each field has it's own quirks as far as what works and what doesn't.
I would start with a mojo and some basic calling - hail call when they are far out, then feeding chuckles until they fold their wings on final approach. The next step would be some more decoys. In the field floater decoys are often too small and do very little, so I would recommend getting 6 good full body decoys.

Remember waterfowl land flying into the wind, so keep the wind at your back or to the side.

Use a ditch as cover and remember to remain very still. Odds are if the ducks aren't committing to your spread it's because your are moving too much!

ajr5406
11-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Good tips - thanks guys.

In terms of calls, what would be a good duck call to pick up?

lorneparker1
11-15-2017, 07:58 PM
id spend money on gas scouting and seeing where they are landing before anything. Once you know where they are that's 90% of it. From there, work on your hide. I prefer not to sit in a ditch lol. So you can build a small/cheap blind with rebar and deer fencing or burlap, or you could buy a layout blind if you decide this is something you want to do more regularly. Lastly get yourself a few decoys and a robo duck or 2.

for duck calls I prefer
jj. lares and RM calls.

You can kill ducks with a kazoo if you are in the right spot with a good hide.

Lorne

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Took the words right off my keyboard Lorne, well except you call choices lol

xfactor
11-15-2017, 11:22 PM
id spend money on gas scouting and seeing where they are landing before anything. Once you know where they are that's 90% of it. From there, work on your hide. I prefer not to sit in a ditch lol. So you can build a small/cheap blind with rebar and deer fencing or burlap, or you could buy a layout blind if you decide this is something you want to do more regularly. Lastly get yourself a few decoys and a robo duck or 2.

for duck calls I prefer
jj. lares and RM calls.

Lorne

Id pay to watch you play the kazoo and kill ducks!! lol!!

Sasquatch
11-16-2017, 01:18 PM

What size shells do you load into your kazoo? And yeah I'll admit it, I've sat in my share of ditches.